Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Vagabundo posted:

Miles Teller also looks like he's in the middle of making GBS threads his pants.

It's to match the poo poo-eating grin he has in those movies. And since they killed off Jai Courtney's character in the second movie he has to up the ante on being a smarmy oval office.

If you didn't watch Insurgent, you also missed out on wonderful stuff like this (feel free to skip the first two minutes).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7OLbTkGguo

I love to hate this series so much. I am already hoping they have enough material and/or profit for a fourth movie.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Nov 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Lurdiak posted:

I am pretty sure it's called The V Vitch.
V For Vitch.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I feel like Vin Diesel is a big enough nerd to change his name again to Win Diesel.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Should of been the 'uuitch' for authenticity.

If it was set before 1300 AD, which it isn't. Either way it is linguistically impure.

Burn it!

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

rawillkill posted:

There's also this

The character-poster trend has gone too far.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Maxwell Lord posted:

I like how the guy in the center is clearly having second thoughts.

To be fair, that's his character.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

I don't know what this is based on or even its number in the series but I'm going to say it's a YA novel, yeah? Didn't we learn anything from Eragon?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I think it's the dystopian YA sci-fi where people are put into a caste based on personality test but some people are really unique snowflakes that don't fit perfectly into a any of the castes and they are oppressed and then they rebel.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Shoehead posted:

I don't know what this is based on or even its number in the series but I'm going to say it's a YA novel, yeah? Didn't we learn anything from Eragon?

The subset of "rebellious teenagers in a dystopian future" YA movie adaptations has made way more money than "teens in fantasy start wars ripoffs"

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

They also seem cheaper overall because there's a plot reason for all the sets to be as sparse and boring as possible.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Which is a shame, because some of the most visually striking films ever made were post-apocalyptic or dystopian.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

FreudianSlippers posted:

I think it's the dystopian YA sci-fi where people are put into a caste based on personality test but some people are really unique snowflakes that don't fit perfectly into a any of the castes and they are oppressed and then they rebel.

That's it more or less.

I've never the books, and only saw the first film, but it's the most weirdly needlessly convoluted caste system I've ever seen.

People are raised in whatever caste until they're teenagers, and then have a personality test tripping balls...which somehow determines aptitude? But they then can choose what caste they want to be a part of, even if it goes against whatever results their acid trip suggested. Then they have to train, and take another acid trip exam - the failure of which results in being placed into the reject caste.

It's really loving dumb.

In the LSD trip, there's a scene where the protagonist is trapped inside a cabient, filling with water, and instead of trying to break the glass, she tries to unscrew the bolts or something using logic...only to be told she shouldn't do that because that shows that she is a divergent (read: unique snowflake), and because she's in the warrior caste, she should act in the manner a warrior would, not the inteliigensia caste.

It's as though the writer saw the houses from Harry Potter, and decided that the house values (courage, intelligence, caring, cunning) were only specific to people inside that house; eg. Hermione is really smart, ergo she shouldn't be in Griffindor, but Ravenclaw.

Also, the antagonists can mind control castes through drugs unless they're a divergent, and then they're immune to it? And the drugs are tailoured to work on specific castes, IIRC - despite the individual members of the caste having no genetic links between each one another, aside from being placed together in the same caste. It's really loving dumb.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Nov 14, 2015

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

the protagonist is trapped inside a cabient, filling with water, and instead of trying to break the glass, she tries to unscrew the bolts or something using logic...only to be told she shouldn't do that because that shows that she is a divergent (read: unique snowflake), and because she's in the warrior caste, she should act in the manner a warrior would, not the inteliigensia caste.

So it's a movie about Captain Cabinets?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Shoehead posted:

I think this is a bit more successful than Eragon, considering that stopped at one movie and now we are up to 3 Divergent ones.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I saw Eragon, and the only thing I remember from it is wondering if the cat got out when I left the house throughout the entire thing.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I recall hearing that the author of Divergent made the smart people the bad guys because a professor was mean to her in college or something like that. And I haven't seen the movies, but the lead looks extremely unconvincing as an action star.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

I recall hearing that the author of Divergent made the smart people the bad guys because a professor was mean to her in college or something like that. And I haven't seen the movies, but the lead looks extremely unconvincing as an action star.

I'm pretty sure the whole thing is an allegory for the author disliking those four-letter personality tests.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Pesky Splinter posted:

That's it more or less.

I've never the books, and only saw the first film, but it's the most weirdly needlessly convoluted caste system I've ever seen.

People are raised in whatever caste until they're teenagers, and then have a personality test tripping balls...which somehow determines aptitude? But they then can choose what caste they want to be a part of, even if it goes against whatever results their acid trip suggested. Then they have to train, and take another acid trip exam - the failure of which results in being placed into the reject caste.

It's really loving dumb.

In the LSD trip, there's a scene where the protagonist is trapped inside a cabient, filling with water, and instead of trying to break the glass, she tries to unscrew the bolts or something using logic...only to be told she shouldn't do that because that shows that she is a divergent (read: unique snowflake), and because she's in the warrior caste, she should act in the manner a warrior would, not the inteliigensia caste.

The best part of this is she gets into the warrior "Dauntless" caste which is translated as "You never show the slightest hesitation at anything ever" so there's literally a point where they're throwing knives at targets and something falls over on the range and they send one of the recruits to pick it up without stopping the knife throwing and "if he flinches, he's cut."

And these guys are supposed to be like the stormtroopers of the setting so they've designed their fascist goon squad to be suicidal idiots. It's hilarious.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Maxwell Lord posted:

I'm pretty sure the whole thing is an allegory for the author disliking those four-letter personality tests.

Well they are completely worthless and have been actively disproven by the psychological community yet schools and businesses still use them because they're so heavily marketed, the frustration at the course of your lie being determining by a bullshit multiple-choice test is a pretty rich vein to mine.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

And I haven't seen the movies, but the lead looks extremely unconvincing as an action star.

She's blandly acceptable, from what I remember from the single time I watched it :shrug:

Maxwell Lord posted:

The best part of this is she gets into the warrior "Dauntless" caste which is translated as "You never show the slightest hesitation at anything ever" so there's literally a point where they're throwing knives at targets and something falls over on the range and they send one of the recruits to pick it up without stopping the knife throwing and "if he flinches, he's cut."

And these guys are supposed to be like the stormtroopers of the setting so they've designed their fascist goon squad to be suicidal idiots. It's hilarious.

I forgot about that - yeah that's a great idea, training your soldiers to have no survival instinct. They also jump on and off trains, and from massive heights too. I recall it having a super weird plot structure; like twenty minutes of a sorting hat scene, two hours of underdog high school relationship bollocks, and then a hurried half hour for sequel bait, and whateverthefuck Kate Winslet had been doing.

Sleeveless posted:

Well they are completely worthless and have been actively disproven by the psychological community yet schools and businesses still use them because they're so heavily marketed, the frustration at the course of your lie being determining by a bullshit multiple-choice test is a pretty rich vein to mine.

Thing is, the premise of the movie wouldn't be bad material for such a thing, but it undermines itself by allowing people to actively choose what caste to train in. Like, it'd make more sense if they have the bullshit test and "Well you're a farmer - on that farm you go - no soldiering for you!" and were forced to become a farmer or whatever...but they don't. It's "I want to become a soldier!" "Ok, that goes against the results of your psyche evaluation, but ok. Sure. Soldier it is then!". :downs:

Waffleman_ posted:

I saw Eragon, and the only thing I remember from it is wondering if the cat got out when I left the house throughout the entire thing.

You mean you can't remember John Malkovich's suffering?

Have some Eragon Posters:

I forgot Robert Carlyle was even in this thing.

Let's play a game; what colour is Eragon's jacket?

Also a weird photoshop of what'sherface showing a bit of shoulder in one.

Carlyle's expression saying it all.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Nov 15, 2015

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Sleeveless posted:

I lost a job that I all but had because of the results of a Briggs Meyer test. Two interviews, a working interview, and all references called. Then the test. Then silence.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Slugworth posted:

I lost a job that I all but had because of the results of a Briggs Meyer test. Two interviews, a working interview, and all references called. Then the test. Then silence.

I'm surprised that's even legal. Like I did temp work for a bit and had to take a personality test, but 80% of the questions were about whether or not you would assault co-workers or steal, so its a fair cop if you can't pass that test. Hiring people based on Briggs Meyer seems dumb as hell.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

That seems pretty arbitrary. What, introverted people are incapable of getting a job done?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

That seems pretty arbitrary. What, introverted people are incapable of getting a job done?

Probably don't want people who think.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

IIRC, the author is a fundie Christian, who became Christian to rebel against her secular mother. The Abnegation faction are pretty much Christians being persecuted by the intelligent elite.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

ID4: Resurgence
Tagline: Now, the aliens have Norton Virus Protection

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I probably tested as Divergent and they were afraid I would upset their society and lazily rappel down their dams.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Maxwell Lord posted:

Aren't the factions and their methodologies in Divergent ultimately revealed to have been deliberately created to be total bullshit and incapable of being actually effective?

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Nov 15, 2015

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Hoping this will be the first of a dystopian young adult trilogy.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

MikeJF posted:

Aren't the factions and their methodologies in Divergent ultimately revealed to have been deliberately created to be total bullshit and incapable of being actually effective?

It's all some sort of big social experiment with the end-goal of finding a person who represents all the factions equally. That person gets hooked up to a VR plot device, faces a trial for every faction and then unlocks a message from the past saying that the entire world HASN'T gone to poo poo and they are waiting out there somewhere. Queue movie #3.

I don't remember the specifics, but go see these movies. They're really funny to take apart and feature such hokey overdramatic acting/action. It's wonderful.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Spazzle posted:

The 5th Wave is your alien invasion YA dystopia movie (series???):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmxLybfGNC4

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Spazzle posted:

Only Jaden Smith can welcome these aliens to erf.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Only Jaden Smith can welcome these aliens to erf.

*after erf

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Lil' General will get his time to shine.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I am hyped as all hell for this movie. It looks fun as hell with humanity pretty much spending all the time between the first movie and this one scavenging the alien ships and developing new technologies/ships/weapons to face any more invasions. Some of the concept art and ships they've shown so far look rad as hell and I think there's a moon base too.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Pretty sure that's fanart; it has the wrong studio logo on it (it's a Fox movie).

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

The 5th Wave is your alien invasion YA dystopia movie (series???):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmxLybfGNC4

I'm pretty sure they telegraphed the twist in that movie in the trailer. I'm speculating that (spoiler tagging just in case it does turn out to be true) Moretz is really an alien doppelganger, just doesn't know it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

FoneBone posted:

Pretty sure that's fanart; it has the wrong studio logo on it (it's a Fox movie).

I was going to say, yeah.