Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

FWIW all the I4 250's are absolutely terrible bikes to learn on because they're so cantankerous and cunty to ride for a beginner.

Just do as the man says and get a shitbox. Looking like a cool dude comes later when you've learned not to fall over in slow motion in front of a crowd of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Slavvy posted:

FWIW all the I4 250's are absolutely terrible bikes to learn on because they're so cantankerous and cunty to ride for a beginner.

Just do as the man says and get a shitbox. Looking like a cool dude comes later when you've learned not to fall over in slow motion in front of a crowd of people.

Truth, but lil i4s are an *experience.*

If you're dead-set on a retro bike RIGHT NOW, also consider a TU250. Same ballpark, looks- and simplicity- wise as an SR400, but much cheaper.

prukinski fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Nov 16, 2015

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Lilbeefer posted:

Ausgoon here. Passed my learners yesterday and want to knw if i am a retard for wanting a 14 or 15 model Yamaha SR400. Are they actually good bikes? I am concerned about hipster tax but I love the styling and simplicity of them. Whatever I get needs to be LAMS approved.

I am test riding
this one tomorrow http://www.bikesales.com.au/dealer/OAG-AD-12098944/2014-Yamaha-SR400

Get a CB400. You can get one for way less than 8k and they're a million miles better, and still retro cool.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Seconding the Cb400, a friend of mine has one that I've ridden a fair amount, great little bikes, and can take a car face first and keep on truckin.'

If you're looking at spending $8000~ on a LAMS bike, I'd look at something more like one of the KTM nakeds or a baby Monster. Or one of the Japanese 650s.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Shimrod posted:

Seconding the Cb400, a friend of mine has one that I've ridden a fair amount, great little bikes, and can take a car face first and keep on truckin.'

If you're looking at spending $8000~ on a LAMS bike, I'd look at something more like one of the KTM nakeds or a baby Monster. Or one of the Japanese 650s.

Yeah, there are a whole load of much much better LAMS bikes available. Get a good, reliable, modern, safe bike to start with. Once you get the ropes you can start looking at proper retro bikes, but if you start with something 15 years old that costs 8k (!) you're going to spend your learners hating motorcycling. If you're ready to spend 8k, you can basically get any of the new LAMS bikes (bar the stupid street triple lams).

That means:

CBR/CB300
CBR/CB/CBX500
Ninja 300
Ninja 650
Suzuki inazuma (please don't)
DRZ400
Yamaha R3
KTM Duke/RC390

And guess what? You can get every one of those for a whole lot less than 8k (most are new under that price), and most of them also have ABS that will prevent you from the inevitable learner's crash.

Barnsy fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Nov 16, 2015

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

Barnsy posted:

Why not?

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Barnsy posted:

Yeah, there are a whole load of much much better LAMS bikes available. Get a good, reliable, modern, safe bike to start with. Once you get the ropes you can start looking at proper retro bikes, but if you start with something 15 years old that costs 8k (!) you're going to spend your learners hating motorcycling. If you're ready to spend 8k, you can basically get any of the new LAMS bikes (bar the stupid street triple lams).

That means:

CBR/CB300
CBR/CB/CBX500
Ninja 300
Ninja 650
DRZ400
Yamaha R3
KTM Duke/RC390

And guess what? You can get every one of those for a whole lot less than 8k (most are new under that price), and most of them also have ABS that will prevent you from the inevitable learner's crash.

You forgot to include the Buell Blast.
(don't buy a Buell Blast if you care about reliability or stability)

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Lilbeefer posted:

Ausgoon here. Passed my learners yesterday and want to knw if i am a retard for wanting a 14 or 15 model Yamaha SR400. Are they actually good bikes? I am concerned about hipster tax but I love the styling and simplicity of them. Whatever I get needs to be LAMS approved.

I am test riding
this one tomorrow http://www.bikesales.com.au/dealer/OAG-AD-12098944/2014-Yamaha-SR400

You can probably buy a free basket case and give a blank check to a guy to build it from the ground up and it will still end up cheaper than a SR400. Those things are ridiculous. Why so much? It's not like they had to retool a bunch of stuff to sell them, they never stopped making them. Ugh.

That said it probably won't kill you and it probably won't break down immediately.

He's looking at a 2014 or 2015 you idiots, not a 15 year old model.

Barnsy posted:

That means:

CBR/CB300
CBR/CB/CBX500
Ninja 300
Ninja 650
DRZ400
Yamaha R3
KTM Duke/RC390

No dual sports? Those are easy mode and tend to crash well. CRF250L or something would be great for a new rider.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Nov 16, 2015

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
i don't recall saying it would kill him (though that would be optimal, hipster scum) just that it was a poo poo bike

it's a brand new line and it doesn't even have e-start, loving lol

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
That was my attempt at practical advice on an SR400; It won't kill you. Doesn't have nearly enough power to get you past a jogging pace so it's kind of a given.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Look at it. It's absolutely terrible.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
poo poo, the Ducati Scrambler starts at $8,495. Get that instead.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

VERTiG0 posted:

This. The only good thing about it is the dash is kinda nice, and it's really cheap. If it floats your boat...

And yes I forgot the CRF250l and the equivalent kawa 250 dual sport.

I also think you can get a KLR650 for that price, but given that he was talking about a SR400 I didn't think he'd be too interested in dual sports.

Also, the scrambler is going to be an awesome bike to start with, but it is a little more than you wanted to spend (it's more like 10k here in aus).

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Dutymode posted:

poo poo, the Ducati Scrambler starts at $8,495. Get that instead.

Or the upcoming babyscrambler! Only $500 less, but with half the displacement and 5 pounds lighter!

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

How was the test ride? What did you like about it and what felt like it could be better?

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

captainOrbital posted:

Or the upcoming babyscrambler! Only $500 less, but with half the displacement and 5 pounds lighter!

And it's curb weight is heavier than that of the FZ-07 by 6 pounds.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

I have an appointment later today, although ive been a bit discouraged now. In regards to power, all my riding thus far has been on lovely (but new) CB125s and old farm bikes. I am sure that i will eventually want something more powerful but even low powered bikes are quicker from the lights then my turbo subaru, so initially I dont think it will be an issue.

To answer your question about restricted licence, I am going for my "full" licence in 3 months and my instructor said I should piss it in. Unfortunately this doesnt mean i can ride a non LAMS bike for something ridiculous like 3 years. This is the case even though I have been driving for 16 years.

Thanks for the input everyone, please dont assume though that im looking specifically for a retro looking bike, I just happened to like the SR400. I am going to the KTM dealership to check out the duke as well, and a few other bikes mentioned.

Whoever mentioned the Scrambler: I would love one, but I am pretty sure that I am forbidden from riding one and I dont believe that i can get a near new one for 8500 anyway. I vould potentially get a Monster that is a few years older but to be honest the bike doesnt interest me that much.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Razzled posted:

i don't recall saying it would kill him (though that would be optimal, hipster scum)

Whats your loving problem dickhead

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
SR400 price dropped to like $6k in the US for 2015. How much are those in Australia now?

It'll be a fine 1st bike, but there are much finer options out there. For fraction of the cost. If you want nostalgia-looking poo poo, get Suzuki TU250. Safety Riding Courses are actually using them to teach basic motorcycle skills. They are also hilariously cheap and do well as a Vespa-alternative around town. But it's your first bike, and you'll be trading up in a year or two anyway, so why not?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Lilbeefer posted:

Relax, he's joking.

Seriously though, while the SR400 is a decent starter bike in terms of weight and power, it's priced at about twice its worth because it's a retro styled bike marketed to "young urbanites" i.e. hipsters with too much money. You also don't want to get a new bike as your first bike, because odds are you're going to drop it doing something stupid like forgetting to put the sidestand down. (Been there, done that)

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Collateral Damage posted:

Relax, he's joking.

His only responses to me in the "tell me what bike to buy" thread have been:

"yes you're a gay hipster for buying a poo poo bike in this modern renaissance of starter bikes"
&
"i don't recall saying it would kill him (though that would be optimal, hipster scum) just that it was a poo poo bike"

Hence wondering what the dickheads problem is

Seriously though, while the SR400 is a decent starter bike in terms of weight and power, it's priced at about twice its worth because it's a retro styled bike marketed to "young urbanites" i.e. hipsters with too much money. You also don't want to get a new bike as your first bike, because odds are you're going to drop it doing something stupid like forgetting to put the sidestand down. (Been there, done that)

I have taken the point on the SR400 and it isn't one of my priorities now. I want to point out though that the cheapest one in Melbourne is about 6k and that is for a 1985 model, which you could argue is a much douchier bike to buy. I am not sure where everyone is from, but prices for anything auto related in Australia are pretty silly. I know I am likely to drop my first bike or bingle it in some way and whilst that sucks, I still want to a new or near new. Yes this is dumb, I know it's dumb, but every vehicle I have ever purchased has been (well) used and I kinda just want to be the first driver/rider for a change. The rules are that I am required to ride a low powered bike for 3 years, which means I will be 36 by the time I can ride a big boys bike. in my mind, 3 years of ownership is reason enough to buy the bike I want first time.

I appreciate all the input, goons are the best! I have expanded my search to quite a lot of different bikes now, and I am looking forward to testing the Duke. I plan on doing some touring with a few friends which would potentially make something like the SR400 a bad choice anyway.

Out of interest, would the Yamaha MT range be worth looking at? There are some decently priced MT03s around that would be legal....

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Nitrox posted:

SR400 price dropped to like $6k in the US for 2015. How much are those in Australia now?

It'll be a fine 1st bike, but there are much finer options out there. For fraction of the cost. If you want nostalgia-looking poo poo, get Suzuki TU250. Safety Riding Courses are actually using them to teach basic motorcycle skills. They are also hilariously cheap and do well as a Vespa-alternative around town. But it's your first bike, and you'll be trading up in a year or two anyway, so why not?

It was the very first bike I ever done rode. I was interested in the model and sat on it at a dealership, so I ran to claim it when I saw it at the MSF course. It was the only FI bike they had, and I hated it because to me, the throttle was incredibly snatchy. It was impossible to ride smoothly. The second day I jumped on a Nighthawk and have never been happier.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

It's a retro styled bike marketed to "young urbanites" i.e. hipsters with too much money.

Also worth noting - the less you spend on your first, soon-to-be-crashed babby bike (also been there done that) the more you'll have left over for fancy schmacy Italian leathers that'll last for much more of your riding career. ie: don't forget to budget for gear and bear in mind that flattering armor is expensiiiiive.

(Except for good leather jackets which go cheap on gumtree all day long as dudes hitting middle age get too fat for them).

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Lilbeefer posted:

I have an appointment later today, although ive been a bit discouraged now. In regards to power, all my riding thus far has been on lovely (but new) CB125s and old farm bikes. I am sure that i will eventually want something more powerful but even low powered bikes are quicker from the lights then my turbo subaru, so initially I dont think it will be an issue.

To answer your question about restricted licence, I am going for my "full" licence in 3 months and my instructor said I should piss it in. Unfortunately this doesnt mean i can ride a non LAMS bike for something ridiculous like 3 years. This is the case even though I have been driving for 16 years.

Thanks for the input everyone, please dont assume though that im looking specifically for a retro looking bike, I just happened to like the SR400. I am going to the KTM dealership to check out the duke as well, and a few other bikes mentioned.

Whoever mentioned the Scrambler: I would love one, but I am pretty sure that I am forbidden from riding one and I dont believe that i can get a near new one for 8500 anyway. I vould potentially get a Monster that is a few years older but to be honest the bike doesnt interest me that much.

If you have your full car license you can get your full motorcycle license after your red Ps (skip green Ps), so you're only on a LAMS bike for a little over a year.

Honestly just go around and try a little of everything, personally given your budget I'd be considering a Honda 500 range, but the Dukes are a great thing to try.

Avoid the MT03, they're mediocre bikes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vZla65KfSc

If you're looking at that price-range look for a used MT07. It's just not well placed compared to the competition.

Barnsy fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Nov 17, 2015

alr
May 14, 2009

Barnsy posted:

If you have your full car license you can get your full motorcycle license after your red Ps (skip green Ps), so you're only on a LAMS bike for a little over a year.

To my understanding, this was changed (in Victoria at least)

quote:

If your motorcycle licence was issued on or after 1 October 2014, you are subject to the following restrictions for 3 years:

Must not ride a motorcycle unless the headlight(s) of the motorcycle are on at all times.
Must only ride a motorcycle fitted with an automatic transmission if the motorcycle licence skill assessment was passed on a motorcycle fitted with an automatic transmission.
Must carry the driver licence card at all times when riding or a receipt until the driver licence card is received.
Must not use a mobile phone for any purpose (hands free or hand held) including sending or reading text messages, when the motorcycle is moving or stationary in traffic.
Must not ride a motorcycle which is towing a trailer.
Must not ride a motorcycle other than a learner approved motorcycle (LAMS).
Must not ride a motorcycle carrying a pillion passenger (a motorcycle and sidecar is acceptable with a passenger).
Must have zero Blood Alcohol Concentration (BAC) when riding a motorcycle (0.00).

If you have your full car license, you'll never need to show P plates but you'll still be restricted to a LAMS bike.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lilbeefer posted:

His only responses to me in the "tell me what bike to buy" thread have been:

"yes you're a gay hipster for buying a poo poo bike in this modern renaissance of starter bikes"
&
"i don't recall saying it would kill him (though that would be optimal, hipster scum) just that it was a poo poo bike"

Hence wondering what the dickheads problem is

Razzled is an excitable child with lots of opinions and too many mailbox hits to the head, take a deep breath and forget about it.

Also there are loads of fantastic LAMS bikes that you wouldn't get bored of for a good long while; I wouldn't bother with a 500 Honda when there are so many less tedious options out there. Have you considered a LAMS-limited Hyosung 650? They're identical to the normal version in everything except output and you can get them switched over to full power when you have your full license. They're also extremely good bikes despite what anyone says, albeit slightly dated nowadays, and are probably the only decent sized v-twin in the running (unless you decide you want a monster after all).

But seriously, just buy a piece of poo poo so you learn to fall over on something that isn't nice or expensive.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

This is correct. The soonest i can get my full licence is 3 months, which i will be doing so i can ditch the hi-viz (!). Unfortunately the LAMS restrictions stay in place regardless, for 3 years. There is no P plates any more.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Lilbeefer posted:

This is correct. The soonest i can get my full licence is 3 months, which i will be doing so i can ditch the hi-viz (!). Unfortunately the LAMS restrictions stay in place regardless, for 3 years. There is no P plates any more.

Why would you want to ditch hi-viz? Make yourself visible, make yourself safer.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Do you wear hi viz?

Link below is the list of bikes with the minimum specs i would consider, in no specific order. I will buy a piece of poo poo if I absolutely must but I dont want anything older the 5 years old...

bikesales link

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

VERTiG0 posted:

This doesn't look bad to me oh god I have terrible taste dont I

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Lilbeefer posted:

Do you wear hi viz?

Hi-viz helmet here and it definitely has helped with other drivers seeing me. Plus cops are nicer to me and say nice things like "It's so good to see someone with high vis gear!".

Or do they make you wear like a high viz safety vest or something equally dorky? It's ok to tell us if they make you wear a safety sash. That's just the freedom of the road, man.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

alr posted:

To my understanding, this was changed (in Victoria at least)

If you have your full car license, you'll never need to show P plates but you'll still be restricted to a LAMS bike.

Go ask your local RTA. They don't advertise it at all on their websites. I had to go chat in person to know. Didn't even have to take a test to go from red Ps to full license. Might be completely different in Victoria (I'm in NSW), but they certainly don't advertise it anywhere.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Lilbeefer posted:

Do you wear hi viz?

From my last few days of "PYF Recent Purchases" thread posts

PCOS Bill posted:

Tomorrow I'm going to go get a new pair of riding boots. Maybe. Depends how I feel, I might just go riding instead.

Absolutely!

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

PCOS Bill posted:

From my last few days of "PYF Recent Purchases" thread posts

Absolutely!

Oh I definitely have no problem with hi viz clothing! Learners in Victoria are required to wear Hi Viz construction style vests over their clothing I fully intend to be wearing bright visible gear, but gently caress wearing the vest haha

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Lilbeefer posted:

Razzled I am so fuckin' proud right now

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
i guess learners licenses dont come with taste in motorcycles

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Above Our Own posted:

It looks great from that angle because you can't see the great gaping holes between the little side fairings and the engine itself; it looks like a small bike trying to wear a bigger bike's clothes and it shows really badly.

They're meant to be thoroughly not-bad mechanically though. There's just nothing to recommend them over anything else in that class.

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

captainOrbital posted:

I hope these sell like poo poo because Ducati should be ashamed.

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.

Above Our Own posted:

That's so cute; it's like the inbred child of the Bking and GSX1400

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Coydog posted:

And nobody should have to own a rebel.

It sounds like an EX250, CBR250, or GS500 is what you are looking for. They will be as manageable as those msf bikes, at a great price, and be reliable and cheap to own.

Awesome, thanks for the suggestions. One question though: looking through the thread, I'm noticing that cruiser-style bikes never seem to be recommended as a first bike. Is this because they're harder to handle? Or some other reason? I've always wanted a retro-looking cruiser of some kind, though that's based entirely on aesthetics since I've spent all of half an hour on my father-in-law's bike while he taught me how the clutch works. I get that I don't want anything too heavy or powerful for a first bike, but beyond that I'm totally green when it comes to this.