Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I keep screwing up my Eve runs in Greed mode. First time was Anti-Gravity tears and Soy Milk (entirely my fault), second was picking up Ipecac with Shielded Tears and not realizing that if it blocks a bullet it will happily blow up in your face. Well, I also picked up Rubber Cement, Incubus, and Loki's Horns so I was in a lot of trouble anyway, but that's exactly how I died.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Not to be confused with endash or minus.

Mylan posted:

Marked seems like it would be a really great power up if this game had mouse support

unfortunately, even though the game does have mouse support, Marked still sucks rear end because the crosshair doesn't go to your cursor. instead it flies straight to the opposite wall in a way that's somehow related to where your cursor is.

epic fetus works very well with the mouse, though. I normally play with a controller and I switch one hand onto the mouse when I get epic. (need to use joytokey to trick the game into thinking my controller is a keyboard for this to work)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

SaffronKit posted:

You need to use a different character each time to drop the failure rate down again. Repeatedly using the same character increases the failure %.
that's loving awful

e: apparently this is incorrect? but making the failure rate go up at all sucks in the first place.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Incubus breaks every single "no tears" run wide open, it is a good and cool item.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

So, is there a cheat engine script for preventing Greed Machine jams?

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
I think I'm just going to kill mega ultra greed with every character once and then cheat engine the remaining unlocks because gently caress that noise forever.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Ariong posted:

It's trivially easy to alter the greed machine to whatever number you want, so it's not really necessary (no script required - just search for the number of coins in it, add 1, search for that)

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It's trivially easy to alter the greed machine to whatever number you want, so it's not really necessary (no script required - just search for the number of coins in it, add 1, search for that)

That's no fun though

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Ariong posted:

Find percent chance for it to break, donate until it changes, search again?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

AnonSpore posted:

That's no fun though

You could just set it to current value + coins on hand each time I guess.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

AnonSpore posted:

That's no fun though

Grinding the greed machine until it gets to 999 isn't particularly fun either.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I still want to fill it up. I ust don't want it to take 80 runs.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Andrast posted:

Grinding the greed machine until it gets to 999 isn't particularly fun either.

Don't grind then? Just play the game. :geno:

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I'm doing it legit, up to 400 after 20 or so runs. This is the only game I've been playing lately anyway.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

The thing that kills me about the greed donation machine right now is that the chest spawned right on top of me after I gnawed leaf cheesed my ultra greed kill on the Lost so I'm gonna have to do like ~5 more runs just because I couldn't plop the early ones in with him.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Power of Pecota posted:

The thing that kills me about the greed donation machine right now is that the chest spawned right on top of me after I gnawed leaf cheesed my ultra greed kill on the Lost so I'm gonna have to do like ~5 more runs just because I couldn't plop the early ones in with him.

What kind of setup did you have to kill him with passive damage alone through his heart cycles?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Ariong posted:

Yes

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Don't grind then? Just play the game. :geno:

The dilemma I think they're having is they want to unlock The Keeper, but don't want it to take 100+ runs of greed mode?

If they're anything like me "just playing the game" means not playing greed mode because it's not that fun, which means they'll never be working towards that Keeper unlock.

Which honestly is my problem with the keeper unlock. Unlike almost everything else, he's a literal grind. The donation machine is the closest thing, but that's something you'll fill up organically while filling out post it notes and such. You can easily do greed mode with every character and still be nowhere close to 999.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

AnonSpore posted:

What kind of setup did you have to kill him with passive damage alone through his heart cycles?

I think it was just like Gemini and a meat cube. He just kept charging straight down where I was suspended until he died, no cycles at all.

I was prepared to just like read a book or something though.

E:

Power of Pecota posted:

I feel like this might not even work with Ultra Greed with how much he repositions + the self-heal.

Spergminer posted:

Actually you can do it with gnawed leaf and a single orbital. If you get between him and the south wall during a charge attack, he'll be unable to do anything but charge into your orbital and die slowly.

I didn't even attempt greed mode with the lost until this was posted.

Power of Pecota fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Nov 18, 2015

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

The daily runs are quickly becoming my favourite part of this game. Today's daily gives you Synthoil, Money = Power, Death's Touch, Champion Belt, Sack Head, Fate's Reward, Incubus, and BFF on the first two floors. That made for a hell of a build.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Oxyclean posted:

The dilemma I think they're having is they want to unlock The Keeper, but don't want it to take 100+ runs of greed mode?

If they're anything like me "just playing the game" means not playing greed mode because it's not that fun, which means they'll never be working towards that Keeper unlock.

Which honestly is my problem with the keeper unlock. Unlike almost everything else, he's a literal grind. The donation machine is the closest thing, but that's something you'll fill up organically while filling out post it notes and such. You can easily do greed mode with every character and still be nowhere close to 999.

Well my issue is that I like greed mode and I want to play it, just not exclusively. It sounds like setting the machine straight to 999 is the way to go for you.

Thanks. Is "Donation Machines Don't Glitch" the one to go for?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Greed mode with Serpent's Kiss as my first item and Death's Touch in the shop.

Sooooooooo many sin hearts, I could shoot for a bit, kamikaze into enemies, then pick up the dozens of hearts left lying around. Probably the easiest win I've ever had.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Evil Eagle posted:

I'm doing it legit, up to 400 after 20 or so runs. This is the only game I've been playing lately anyway.

That's the easy bit. The expected number of coins you can put in starting from zero is somewhere north of 30, so from one run from 10 characters you'd expect to have 300 (or so) in. To get it to 1000 with 10 characters will take about a hundred runs.

Going from 900 to 1000, for example, will on average take the same 20 runs it took you to get to 400.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
Killing yourself after filling the greed machine and doing the alt+f4 exploit and fighting greed again works pretty well since he'll drop a fresh machine machine for you. Though at that point the line between playing the game fairly and just cheat engineing your stuff blurs

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Seven Greed Mode runs, all using different characters, all ending with the machine jamming after 1 cent.

:suicide:

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
holy poo poo about all this greed mode stuff.

On Mac OS X, how can I cheat into a full Greed machine?

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Not sure if mods work for OS X Isaac, but if they do this should work.

http://moddingofisaac.com/mod/889/greedmodedonationmachinefarm

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
Behold my unstoppable sawblades

This was a fun run.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Welp, never thought I'd say this but I just had a run carried by Bob's Brain. The new, more controllable Brain made a Cat Got Your Tongue run a lot more bearable, with being able to decide "I'm not getting close to that". Getting Anathema at the end didn't hurt either, where I could trade a stomp from Mom's Foot for about half of her health.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Alkydere posted:

Welp, never thought I'd say this but I just had a run carried by Bob's Brain. The new, more controllable Brain made a Cat Got Your Tongue run a lot more bearable, with being able to decide "I'm not getting close to that". Getting Anathema at the end didn't hurt either, where I could trade a stomp from Mom's Foot for about half of her health.

Bob's Brain is an absolute godsend in Blindfold challenges. (It might be a good pickup for Lilith too? Not sure about that.) That thing carried me through Blue Bomber once Kamikaze's damage started falling off. Mr. Mega didn't seem to affect Kamikaze, but it definitely gave a big boost to Bob's Brain.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

It's good on Lilith, it smashes bosses pretty hard since you get two brains to hurl. It's definitely a very good item now, not an always pick up but far better than it was before. I just didn't expect it to be an out-and-out carry.

Also, Small Rock, Cricket's Head and Steven on the first floor of this XXXXXXL challenge so far...

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Alkydere posted:

It's good on Lilith, it smashes bosses pretty hard since you get two brains to hurl. It's definitely a very good item now, not an always pick up but far better than it was before. I just didn't expect it to be an out-and-out carry.

sounds like you'll have a fun time with Brains! then

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So I'm in greed mode and I have the blank card, two of diamonds, and glowing hourglass but I can't get a chaos card. I have a crystal ball but apparently those don't generate special cards. What should I do

e: lol immediately as I post this it generated a credit card so I guess I was just extremely unlucky

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
I used CheatEngine to unlock Keeper because gently caress playing that much Greed mode and dealing with the machine jamming and other bullshit. He's a neat character, but I really don't understand why they didn't treat health ups as new coin containers. I understand he's supposed to be a hard character, but it just makes him a lot less interesting. Not being able to take blue/black hearts already feels like a large enough disadvantage.

Having that many coin containers would also disadvantage him in terms of money because coins used for healing can't be used for buying other things. So the 2 container limit just feels like a step too far since it means whole classes of items are almost useless for him outside the specific case of getting both a health up and a useful single heart devil deal on a floor.

I really don't understand why their strategy with characters is reductive rather than additive. Health ups are almost useless for Keeper. More than a third of the item pool is useless as The Lost. Range upgrades up until Afterbirth were useless for Azazel. From a design standpoint it feels weird to me that they allow themselves to design characters that make items that exist in the game completely useless. Blue Baby was a hard character in the original game, but at least health ups did something substantial.

Characters requiring you to play the game differently is cool and good. Lilith is really awesome because familiars were real terrible, but Box of Friends makes them positively OP. That's an existing mechanic that was under served that was expanded through a new character. Cain starting with luck and PHD was a cool thing that they ended up nerfing completely. Judas getting more devil deals but starting with only 1 red heart was a cool thing that they nerfed completely in Afterbirth. The Lost starting with D4 is pretty alright, but then also starting with Holy Mantle makes the D4 completely entirely 100% worthless due to it being rotated out of the pool.

It feels like Edmund is sending notes on napkins over to Nicalis in order to be implemented, and it doesn't feel like anybody is thinking from a design perspective at all. It's not even like a play testing issue, really. These are all just straight logical design issues that anybody thinking about game design at all should be able to think through.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Edmund likes the Lost and thinks its a Good Character, or a good challenge, either way he doesn't really see it as a flawed design so it's really no surprise the keeper should follow in having items that are useless.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

VineST posted:

sounds like you'll have a fun time with Brains! then
Brains! is a legitimately fun and good challenge, the only issue being waiting in empty rooms for the brains to come back but even that is overblown because you don't really need to enter most rooms with 3 brains, often in the amount of time it takes you to use one brain another will come back anyways

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

Brains! is a legitimately fun and good challenge, the only issue being waiting in empty rooms for the brains to come back but even that is overblown because you don't really need to enter most rooms with 3 brains, often in the amount of time it takes you to use one brain another will come back anyways

Yeah, you can still do it but that's a dick move.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
oh drat it i thought Lost could use a holy mantle charge for blood bank but I guess that would be broken :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Is the Lost unlock still broken?