Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

JohnnySavs posted:

I taught the game once to a mostly new group, emphasising that even if you win a fight against Khorne, it's probably still benefiting him. So everyone pseudo-cooperate to prevent him from fighting!

Tzeench's opening move: summon warriors to fight Khorne. "I want to see how it works." Repeat at least three more times.

After Khorne victory: "The factions seem really unbalanced."

I think my main criticism of CITOW is that the faction's overall strategies are very set and that deviating from them is going to make your game that much harder. Like Nurgle not getting Provender of Ruin asap just sounds like a bad idea or, as in your example, sticking around when Khorne moves into the neighborhood is basically just giving Khorne the victory. As much as I love the game, it starts to feel restrictive after a while and makes me wish it had more interesting choices in it, especially the upgrade cards. It also leads to something resembling quarterbacking when you're playing with new people, because the veterans are all like "You gotta stop this fucker!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Morpheus posted:

Talkin' bout Yomi, aintcha. And Puzzle Strike?

I am. I'll post more on Yomi when I get home tonight if you're interested but honestly you can just ctrl+F for "Yomi" through my post history in this thread and the last one to see a lot of thoughts on the game. There's also a Yomi thread in Games if you look for it since it has a Steam version, and there's a general Fantasy Strike thread in TG as well.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

thespaceinvader posted:

So is it just me or is the new Fury of Dracula actually really pretty drat good (except for the lovely, lovely rulebooks)?

What did you find difficult in its rulebooks?

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

PRADA SLUT posted:

My favorite traitor game is asking this thread for advice on a game to buy.

Nah, too solvable. Rutibex is always the traitor.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

Merauder posted:

That's what the traitor wants us to think

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

memy posted:

That's what the traitor wants us to think

I'm not sure I could tell the difference.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

GrandpaPants posted:

I think my main criticism of CITOW is that the faction's overall strategies are very set and that deviating from them is going to make your game that much harder. Like Nurgle not getting Provender of Ruin asap just sounds like a bad idea or, as in your example, sticking around when Khorne moves into the neighborhood is basically just giving Khorne the victory. As much as I love the game, it starts to feel restrictive after a while and makes me wish it had more interesting choices in it, especially the upgrade cards. It also leads to something resembling quarterbacking when you're playing with new people, because the veterans are all like "You gotta stop this fucker!"

As a veteran, I can say that I've won as Nurgle without Provender (though it is harder, I did it as a challenge) and Nurgle actually wants to throw Warriors at Khorne to get him off the board and make him pay 2 points to redeploy.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Morpheus posted:

What are some good, light- to medium-weight 2 player games? I'm looking for something my friend and I can play when no one else is around to do something with more players.

Ideally something that's supposed to be 2 players, not something 2+ players that plays well with 2 anyway...but I guess if it's a really good game...

I know Twilight Struggle is considered one of the best, but that's a little too heavy.

Get Mage Wars, if you already have someone to play it with you have got out ahead of all other Mage Wars fans. Fluxx is pretty fun for two people as well, though don't be tempted to play it with more than two.

Merauder posted:

:ninja:

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 17, 2015

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Morpheus posted:

Ideally something that's supposed to be 2 players, not something 2+ players that plays well with 2 anyway...but I guess if it's a really good game...

CoB is $20 as a flash Amazon sale right now: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...d_i=12079040011

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Morpheus posted:

What are some good, light- to medium-weight 2 player games?

I enjoy Yomi, but let's be real. Until you get into the :spergin: side, it's $200 Rock-Paper-Scissors. A lot of the game's skill lies in knowing the card composition, speed comparisons, and general script of play that you adhere to or deviate from as appropriate. It's a great tournament title, but kinda butts for lightweight/middleweight play.

BattleCON is much easier to grok from game one, while still having deeper levels of strategy to explore.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Even if Yomi is good, gently caress their pricing model. Stupid as hell.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Bottom Liner posted:

Even if Yomi is good, gently caress their pricing model. Stupid as hell.

No, see, Magic: The Gathering, which is a completely unrelated game, has random boosters!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Fixing the combat was easy. I'm curious to see if they fixed the late game problem of Dracula basically knowing with 90% certainty that he'd lost but compelled to keep fighting a rear-guard retreat for another hour. Ugh. Super boring for everyone.

I had that problem last night to an extent, but I think the fixed combat helped. Getting into a fight with more than one tooled-up Hunter is just a death sentence. But i can see how it could be problematic. My big issue as Drac was that it just didn't feel like I had any control at all over my events, so it was entirely random and entirely within the hunters' control to withhold them from me, and despite what they said afterwards, I'm 90% convinced that it's a REALLY bad idea to Supply at night at all.

Caedar posted:

What did you find difficult in its rulebooks?

It doesn't cover a number of common situations, it has inaccurate or incomplete information about quite a lot of cards, it requires you to just make assumptions about a lot of details... I could go on if I had it with me to check.

But mostly, it just feels like it wasn't edited or proofed properly, and playtesters didn't get a chance to feed back on it.

Das Doppelganger
Dec 22, 2012

Gutter Owl posted:

**Stuff I don't seek to read about on the internet**

You are a damned master of metaphors.

Its not for me to judge what consenting adults do in their game room, but you give very sound advice. I think everyone should try it at least once.

Mage Knight that is. That other thing we pay money for.

(we're talking about a colonoscopy, right?!?!)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Got taught how to play Pandemic and Race for the Galaxy last night.

We crushed the bugs on standard with a researcher, a scientist(me) and a contingency planner(?) through a ridiculous bunch of good draws and keeping a lid on infections, preventing any outbreaks, wiping out two plagues pretty early on, then drawing just the cards I needed to cure the last two bugs. Should play on heroic next and get murdered.

RftG: 'Oh hey this actually works like Ascension, I can do this!' *comes in last place*
Only thing I disliked it was how meaningless the cards were until you familiarized themselves, compared to Ascension which has cards that are pretty drat straightforwards:

vs

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Nov 18, 2015

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

That's beautifully naive. I love it.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
I have literally no idea what either game does based on the card art, at least RFTG cards are alot cleaner and tighter looking.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Pandemic is basically a craps shoot. Either the cards gently caress you, or they don't. Assuming general competence, that's what it comes down to. I'm excited to play through Legacy though. The packets are cool as poo poo.

I have an unfinished risk Legacy from 5 years ago. Considering just opening it all up.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Banana Man posted:

I have literally no idea what either game does based on the card art, at least RFTG cards are alot cleaner and tighter looking.

Thank god they reprinted it with updated art:

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

The old Ascension art, you can see the ruled paper lines in a lot of the card art, and for me that really reinforces the putrid adolescent fantasy theme

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I agree, we should only use original themes for board games.

*picks up tiny brown cube that represents wood*

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Tekopo posted:

Purely in terms of quality, the list is as follows (from highest to lowest)

Fire in the Lake, A Distant Plain, Cubra Libre, Andean Abyss.

Which makes sense, since they are in release order. Cuba Libre is more refined and smooth than Andean Abyss, with A Distant Plain being even better in terms of mechanism and Fire in the Lake taking the lessons of ADP And improving on them further. In terms of pure enjoyment, however, this is my actual list:

A Distant Plain, Cuba Libre, Fire in the Lake, Andean Abyss

I just love ADP to bits. It has a few issues but it has by far my favourite faction in any COIN (the government). The government both suits my playstyle and is in itself a diplomatically, strategically and tactically enjoyable faction to play, far above any other faction. Most other factions in other COINs feel distinctively single-sided and not as nuanced as the government in ADP. I like CL because it also has an interesting faction dynamic, and prefer it over FitL due to the short play time and lack of AP: FitL is good and really polished, but too big for its own good. Andean Abyss is really the pioneer of the series but lacks some of the quality of life improvements present in the other series.

I reserved a P500 for Cuba Libre, but I don't think I should spring for A Distant Plain till I get some more people interested in wargaming with me. I think that the consensus is that ADP has got the best range of diplomatic possibilities, though? I'm almost tempted to drive a couple hours to find a gaming group that plays COIN games.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Ascension owns and the art is unique and charming

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

So there are two advantages to RftG's style over Ascension's.

1. RftG cards are language-independent

2. RftG cards can be used to play a good game

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

DontMockMySmock posted:

RftG cards can be used to play a good game

Which game is that? There's only one of each card, I thought, so Snap and Memory are out.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
:stare:

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Nov 18, 2015

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Played Voyages of Marco Polo with 4 Players yesterday. Still a great game, everyone really really liked it.

But how the hell do you beat Mercator, the guy that gets free resources everytime another player visits the Basar?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Tekopo posted:

Purely in terms of quality, the list is as follows (from highest to lowest)

Fire in the Lake, A Distant Plain, Cubra Libre, Andean Abyss.

Which makes sense, since they are in release order. Cuba Libre is more refined and smooth than Andean Abyss, with A Distant Plain being even better in terms of mechanism and Fire in the Lake taking the lessons of ADP And improving on them further. In terms of pure enjoyment, however, this is my actual list:

A Distant Plain, Cuba Libre, Fire in the Lake, Andean Abyss

I just love ADP to bits. It has a few issues but it has by far my favourite faction in any COIN (the government). The government both suits my playstyle and is in itself a diplomatically, strategically and tactically enjoyable faction to play, far above any other faction. Most other factions in other COINs feel distinctively single-sided and not as nuanced as the government in ADP. I like CL because it also has an interesting faction dynamic, and prefer it over FitL due to the short play time and lack of AP: FitL is good and really polished, but too big for its own good. Andean Abyss is really the pioneer of the series but lacks some of the quality of life improvements present in the other series.

I agree 100% with Tekopo on the polish vs enjoyment of the various COIN games. I marvel at the design of FiTL and how considered it us, but it's just such a chore to get to the table compared to the others . This is one of the reasons i'm intrigued to see how Liberty or Death turns out since it's the first Volko-less game, and from the rulebook it looks like it's got a ton of fiddly crap thrown in.

Also you forgot the best bit about Government in ADP, which is playing it with newbies and seeing the insurgents faces when they see how many cubes you can throw down with a single train action.

However I would put one caveat in - if you are planning on playing the games solo for any significant amount of time, Fire in the Lake is by far the best option. You can go through the fiddly rules on your own terms, it's more of a straightforward wargame than the political maneuvering of the others and it has the most sophisticated bots by a long way. I've played FitL more solo than all the other games put together.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I reserved a P500 for Cuba Libre, but I don't think I should spring for A Distant Plain till I get some more people interested in wargaming with me. I think that the consensus is that ADP has got the best range of diplomatic possibilities, though? I'm almost tempted to drive a couple hours to find a gaming group that plays COIN games.

I would definitely try Cuba Libre first with your gaming group since COIN games are an odd beast and some people can't get their head around it. On the other hand since they are kind of euro in the way they play and don't have a lot of the classic wargame baggage i've had a lot of success with getting non-wargamers playing them. If you have a regular gaming group I would definitely try it out on them.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Gutter Owl posted:

Really, your best bet is to sit down with the tutorial book and play through it step by step. The MK rules are kinda annoying as a reference document, but Vlaada and his crew know how to make a solid tutorial.

Otherwise, it's like your first time taking it up the butt. Go slowly. Get yourself comfortable and try to relax--you're not going anywhere for a while, and being tense is just going to make things harder. Take it in a tiny bit at a time. Even if you feel like you're getting a handle on things, don't jump ahead, or you're just going to hurt yourself and sour the whole experience. Pause every so often to acclimate before trying to cover more. It's best to experiment by yourself before involving a second person, and get used to two-player before involving three or more people. And remember, a tiny bit of pain is part of what makes the experience enjoyable. It can all seem daunting at first, impossible even, but once you've gotten a little experience under your belt you'll be surprised how easily everything slides into place.

Also, take a poop and a shower beforehand. That's not a metaphor for anything, it's just generally good advice.

Also gonna quote this because it's all round good advice for both board games and anal.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SynthOrange posted:

RftG: 'Oh hey this actually works like Ascension, I can do this!' *comes in last place*
Only thing I disliked it was how meaningless the cards were until you familiarized themselves, compared to Ascension which has cards that are pretty drat straightforwards:

vs

You haven't played enough RftG yet. All at once, eventually you will be able to "read the matrix" and those cards full of arcane symbols will become the absolute picture of simplicity and clarity. It takes some time, but after you are acclimated the symbolic cards are absolutely brilliant.

Also Race for the Galaxy is easily the best "single stack deck builder". Against Ascension and Star Realms it's not even a fair contest in terms of strategic depth.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
I haven't been keeping up with board games as much recently but I still have my ticket to BGGCon this week.

Roll for the Galaxy is a game I've been wanting to play for a while but besides that I'm not sure what else has been good recently. I bought the hype of Dead of Winter last year and it turned out to be pretty good so I'm wondering if there's another game like that this year.

Are there any other games I might be missing?

moush fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Nov 18, 2015

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
Someone brought TI3 to a games meetup.
Still fresh in the box.
They haven't even read the rules.

:getin:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

Someone brought TI3 to a games meetup.
Still fresh in the box.
They haven't even read the rules.

:getin:

On a smaller scale, someone did that with Tragedy Looper recently and much confusion was to be had

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Speaking of unplayed games, I still haven't played half of mine but I noticed recently that I have a decent board game budget I forgot about. I ordered Codenames since it's on Amazon at $20 right now, but what's another good recent one I should look out for? I was kinda thinking Tragedy Looper or Tash Kalar if they're still the recent hot poo poo.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

MrL_JaKiri posted:

On a smaller scale, someone did that with Tragedy Looper recently and much confusion was to be had

Speaking of, is there a good antag/protag tutorial video out yet? Rahdo has one, but it's not great.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

A single four player game of Love Letter has taught me that I am the single unluckiest person on the planet. I like the game but drat, I don't think I stayed in a single round for more than a turn.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Rutibex posted:

You haven't played enough RftG yet. All at once, eventually you will be able to "read the matrix" and those cards full of arcane symbols will become the absolute picture of simplicity and clarity. It takes some time, but after you are acclimated the symbolic cards are absolutely brilliant.

Also Race for the Galaxy is easily the best "single stack deck builder". Against Ascension and Star Realms it's not even a fair contest in terms of strategic depth.

The absolute picture of simplicity and clarity. But mostly that's just Brink of War being silly...

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Meldonox posted:

Speaking of unplayed games, I still haven't played half of mine but I noticed recently that I have a decent board game budget I forgot about. I ordered Codenames since it's on Amazon at $20 right now, but what's another good recent one I should look out for? I was kinda thinking Tragedy Looper or Tash Kalar if they're still the recent hot poo poo.

Tragedy Looper is great, but it sort of has the Space Alert problem where you really want a dedicated group to play it with, otherwise you'll just end up playing the training scenarios all the time. If you can manage that though, definitely recommend that. Tash Kalar is awesome all around, but best with 2 or 4.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

taser rates posted:

Tragedy Looper is great, but it sort of has the Space Alert problem where you really want a dedicated group to play it with, otherwise you'll just end up playing the training scenarios all the time. If you can manage that though, definitely recommend that. Tash Kalar is awesome all around, but best with 2 or 4.
I've never ever run the training scenario for Space Alert in the years I've been teaching it. Into the deep end you go...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Tekopo posted:

I've never ever run the training scenario for Space Alert in the years I've been teaching it. Into the deep end you go...

I like to do one of the advanced training missions that's everything but internal threats, then jump into full missions after that. Putting that aside though, a lot of the fun for me is being able to run higher difficulty threats in Space Alert/more complex cases in Trag Looper, which you can't really do with new players.