Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Question about Kelogg: Just tracked him down in Fort Whatever, he said his synths were standing down and "let's talk", but everyone attacked me once i entered the room. Did it bug out or will he always attack you? Had a run in with a bartender in Diamond City that also attacked me on sight during a quest he was related in, and i'm wondering if it's some large scale bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Corvega is the third quest the player can receive in the game, from the first questgiver they meet, and it really really should not have been. The layout is confusing, the raiders are much more well-equipped than the player, they have automatic defenses and mines, and sentry lookouts on the towers that are out of the range of a normal pistol/pipe pistol/shotgun. It's a fine area except for the dumb map, but where it's placed in the quest chain doesn't make any sense. Same thing with the Castle; with how crazy hard the boss fight at the end of it is, you'd think they would have tried to space it out more or at least warn you.

edit: And really its placement on the map itself difficulty-wise doesn't gel with the areas around it. As you radiate further outward from Sanctuary, the game gets harder until you reach the glowing sea on the far corner of the map. But Corvega doesn't match up to that, it's much more difficult than all of the areas around it. It's just a weird difficulty bump that really should've been moved farther down the quest chain.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Nov 18, 2015

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Professor Shark posted:

I'd be fine with 10%

Follow up, unrelated question: my computer was able to play Farcry 4 fine, and from what I understand Fallout 4 isn't a technical marvel, based on this limited information can I expect any trouble with this game?

it's pretty unoptimized (in that it looks worse and runs worse than far cry) but I don't think you'll have any major issues

CJacobs posted:

Corvega is the third quest the player can receive in the game, from the first questgiver they meet, and it really really should not have been. The layout is confusing, the raiders are much more well-equipped than the player, they have automatic defenses and mines, and sentry lookouts on the towers that are out of the range of a normal pistol/pipe pistol/shotgun. It's a fine area except for the dumb map, but where it's placed in the quest chain doesn't make any sense. Same thing with the Castle; with how crazy hard the boss fight at the end of it is, you'd think they would have tried to space it out more or at least warn you.

like everything else in this game it's a bit fiddly and irritating but i'd hardly call it difficult. it is a weirdly complex area for a starting quest though

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Khanstant posted:

Really? I tried using it on a few things and it always seemed better to just shoot them in the head with a sniper bullet.

Deathclaws don't die to a shot from a sniper rifle to the head, unless you're playing on a way easier setting than I am.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

I genuinely cannot believe people are having trouble with this console shooter in terms of the shooting gameplay

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Cool, I look forward to descending into madness with you people

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

is there any way to eke more FPS out of the city areas? every review i read says something along the lines of "i'm unhappy with the performance but i was able to get a solid 60 with my first gen i7 and a gtx 960 apart from a few specific unoptimized areas' and here i am with a 290x where if i'm in any city area my fps drops to like 20 - heck even looking toward the city tanks it.

wasteland perf isn't all roses either but it's more or less fine. turning down the shadows/godrays like everyone says didn't do much, the only thing that had a major effect was sliding AA down a notch. does this game just hate AMD cards?

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

strong bird posted:

I genuinely cannot believe people are having trouble with this console shooter in terms of the shooting gameplay

also you can pause the game at literally any time and spam aid items. the only thing that has any excuse for killing me on normal difficulty is grenades, which are occasionally unavoidable OHKs. i'm playing with a ps4 controller as well and as a mostly pc gamer am pretty iffy with manual gamepad aiming.

idk maybe turn the difficulty down if you're having trouble? it's a bethesda game, the higher difficulties exist either to provably make the game less fun or to balance out some kind of bug

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Nov 18, 2015

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

my #1 cause of deaths is super mutant suiciders killing me mid-dialogue with companions pulling me aside to pour their heart out to me
and it doesn't repeat on quickloads so i'm almost convinced this is actually on purpose because it has happened over a dozen times

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Generic Monk posted:

also you can pause the game at literally any time and spam aid items. the only thing that has any excuse for killing me on normal difficulty is grenades, which are occasionally unavoidable OHKs

It'd be nice if stimpaks, the only healing item that takes time to use, were not also the only healing items worth a poo poo.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

CJacobs posted:

It'd be nice if stimpaks, the only healing item that takes time to use, were not also the only healing items worth a poo poo.

using the cookery stations allows me to craft items that still, at like level 25 or whatever the gently caress I am now, still heal me to full health from near-death. even the weaker ones crafted from common enemies still do a good chunk, so idk eat like 4 of those

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Generic Monk posted:

is there any way to eke more FPS out of the city areas? every review i read says something along the lines of "i'm unhappy with the performance but i was able to get a solid 60 with my first gen i7 and a gtx 960 apart from a few specific unoptimized areas' and here i am with a 290x where if i'm in any city area my fps drops to like 20 - heck even looking toward the city tanks it.

wasteland perf isn't all roses either but it's more or less fine. turning down the shadows/godrays like everyone says didn't do much, the only thing that had a major effect was sliding AA down a notch. does this game just hate AMD cards?

Most games don't enjoy AMD lately unless AMD wants to pay them to optimize for their awful driver sets. They're also notoriously bad at AA.

Not that you care, but running at 2560x1600 on a GTX970 and I've had zero framerate issues at any point in time.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

CJacobs posted:

edit: And really its placement on the map itself difficulty-wise doesn't gel with the areas around it. As you radiate further outward from Sanctuary, the game gets harder until you reach the glowing sea on the far corner of the map. But Corvega doesn't match up to that, it's much more difficult than all of the areas around it. It's just a weird difficulty bump that really should've been moved farther down the quest chain.

It doesn't seem to be given each time. For whatever reason one of my characters was tasked to clear walden pond. There's only 2 raiders there

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Do we have a F4 modding thread yet?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Refreshing Beverage is nuts good and easy to craft. It's like a full health potion.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

It feels good to pacify/incite suiciders and watch them charge back to where they came from until you see their wonderful explosion.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Geokinesis posted:

It feels good to pacify/incite suiciders and watch them charge back to where they came from until you see their wonderful explosion.

Are there any unique lines for pacifying Super Mutants?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Generic Monk posted:

Did you try to lower your Shadow distance setting?

Shadow distance is CPU, not gpu, dependent and lowering it to medium might fix your FPS issues in cityish areas.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Andrast posted:

Did you try to lower your Shadow distance setting?

Shadow distance is CPU, not gpu, dependent and lowering it to medium might fix your FPS issues in cityish areas.

Shadow detail + distance as well as godrays are at medium. Didn't make a huge difference.

I'll try removing this sweetfx thing that I've got installed; been playing with it for most of my time with the game but I seem to remember it nibbling at my performance a bit.

Digital_Jesus posted:

Most games don't enjoy AMD lately unless AMD wants to pay them to optimize for their awful driver sets. They're also notoriously bad at AA.

Not that you care, but running at 2560x1600 on a GTX970 and I've had zero framerate issues at any point in time.

Yeah, ever since I got this card a couple years ago and heard the sheer amount of noise it makes I knew my next card would be nvidia. I've never seen the disparity be this pronounced though; I was playing arkham knight the other week and it runs almost perfectly at 1440p; a game with a literal nvidia logo at the start and with all the nvidia effects turned on.

FO4 didn't even start until I updated to a beta driver! I think the recent point update to that driver (that I installed hoping it might give me a bit of extra perf in cities) might have sapped my framerate a bit as well.

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Nov 18, 2015

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Tupperwarez posted:

Man, things have really escalated since 2D Fallout. Back then, it was just Ian shooting you in the back, or Sulik emptying his SMG directly into your spine.

Please no triggering.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Oh God looting the weapons off corpses gives you ~a full clip of ammo for that weapon. I've been hemorrhaging bullets and scrounging for like 30 hours, and then just after going through a synth area and looting every gun and throwing them back on the ground I ended up with 1500+ fusion cells.

Also I ballistic weaved the Memory Den lady's dress up to like 110 armor or something so eat poo poo wasteland.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

Are there any unique lines for pacifying Super Mutants?

Yeah pacification lines are different for each set of enemies, for SM (lady va) it is something like "Human... Friend" in a kinda dense/SM style voice.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I know Bethesda pretty much built this game off of the most popular mods, but oh man did they have to take the "dainty lady run" animations as well? Why is the running so goofy in this game?

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
A bear I decapitated decided to kill me again when I reloaded the game.

Yeah I'd say he's a little stunted.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Saint Freak posted:

Oh God looting the weapons off corpses gives you ~a full clip of ammo for that weapon. I've been hemorrhaging bullets and scrounging for like 30 hours, and then just after going through a synth area and looting every gun and throwing them back on the ground I ended up with 1500+ fusion cells.

Needs to be a mod that does this automatically - the last thing this game needs is more inventory busywork.

Stiggs
Apr 25, 2008

Miles and miles of friends!

Digital_Jesus posted:

What are the rest of your specs? I'm running the game on a GTX980, 16gb of ram and a i7 3820 or something like that and I drop to 30fps in the city. This is with everything set to ultra at 1920x1080.

I haven't dicked around with individual settings yet, but with the presets provided in the launcher I have to choose medium to not drop below 60fps.

It's pretty much only the city too, everywhere else is 100+

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

Generic Monk posted:

Just turn of AA. Every step of AA doubles the math your GPU has to do.

Generic Monk posted:

Needs to be a mod that does this automatically - the last thing this game needs is more inventory busywork.

code:
player.modav carryweight 10000
I hate inventory management. Just carry all the things.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Manatee Cannon posted:

per settlement

there are more settlements than you can have charisma

e: also I think it's just charisma+10, but I'm still pretty sure there are more settlements than that

Manatee Cannon posted:

it means that it's impossible for your total settlers across all settlements to be the charisma+10 limit because there are more settlements than you would have possible settlers that way

or if not impossible, it would at least not make any sense
Huh? If it's 10+cha per settlement, then you have 10+cha settlers in each of the 30 or so settlements in the game. If it's 10+cha across all settlements, then you can have a maximum of 10+cha settlements, with 1 settler in each. You're saying it's both? What?

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
It's CHA+10 per settlement.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Stiggs posted:

What are the rest of your specs? I'm running the game on a GTX980, 16gb of ram and a i7 3820 or something like that and I drop to 30fps in the city. This is with everything set to ultra at 1920x1080.

I haven't dicked around with individual settings yet, but with the presets provided in the launcher I have to choose medium to not drop below 60fps.

These are my specs and I get the same thing. However, NVidia tells me my optimum settings is everything all the way down. Do you have that, too?

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

I know it's a little thing, but I really miss having a weapon on my hip or across my back when I holster a gun. It seems like such a simple thing, why would Beth take it out (aside from LOLBethesda/Gamebryo)?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Stiggs posted:

Try lowering the shadow distance setting to medium. It's basically the only setting that is CPU based and the game isn't very good at utilizing your CPU.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Andrast posted:

Try lowering the shadow distance setting to medium. It's basically the only setting that is CPU based and the game isn't very good at utilizing your CPU.

I had to switch my shadow distance to medium on a 980ti + 4790k and I still only see the game using like 50% of my cpu. I dont know what the gently caress is going on.

Granted I boosted the loadcell paramater, everything was running fine on ultra before but shadows+extra loaded cells means performance plummets in towns.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Stiggs posted:

Devils Canyon Core i5, 32GB of RAM, steam games run on a RAID0 of 2x 256GB SSDs, and the GTX970 4GB.

Stiggs
Apr 25, 2008

Miles and miles of friends!

Anita Dickinme posted:

These are my specs and I get the same thing. However, NVidia tells me my optimum settings is everything all the way down. Do you have that, too?

I'm not too sure what NVidia is telling me my optimum settings are, but the game defaults me to Ultra.

Andrast posted:

Thanks, I'll give this a go.

Digital_Jesus posted:

Devils Canyon Core i5, 32GB of RAM, steam games run on a RAID0 of 2x 256GB SSDs, and the GTX970 4GB.

Nice :)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cirosan posted:

Collaborating with Russian modder shadwar, I've released a mod that makes the game display the full lines of what your character is going to say in conversation, instead of just a paraphrase. It also revamps the interface so that the game will now display dialogue options in a list and use the number keys for input, instead of clustering all of them together and forcing you to use the arrow keys.

Here are some examples of what it looks like in action:

Download it here:
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/1235

Enjoy!

Well holy poo poo. That's pretty incredible right there. (Thanks for making a version that works with controllers, too!)

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Professor Shark posted:

I'd be fine with 10%

Follow up, unrelated question: my computer was able to play Farcry 4 fine, and from what I understand Fallout 4 isn't a technical marvel, based on this limited information can I expect any trouble with this game?
well you're in luck, friend, because it's 15% off on greenmangaming with their voucher. it's a steam key, and i never had any security problems with them, so really the only thing you're losing out on, i believe, is the 2-hour-refund thing that steam does.

if your cashmoneys aren't burning a hole in your pocket, you might want to wait till thanksgiving to see if gmg has a better discount. i wouldn't be surprised if that voucher turns into 25% off

edit: oh, and on the performance front, it ain't the smoothest thing ever, but I've gotten this working on a thinkpad yoga 14 with the older graphics card. had to lower the resolution a little to run on medium though.

Soup du Journey fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Nov 18, 2015

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dongattack posted:

Question about Kelogg: Just tracked him down in Fort Whatever, he said his synths were standing down and "let's talk", but everyone attacked me once i entered the room. Did it bug out or will he always attack you? Had a run in with a bartender in Diamond City that also attacked me on sight during a quest he was related in, and i'm wondering if it's some large scale bug.

Sounds like it bugged out. You'll always end up fighting him, no way around that, but you're supposed to have a conversation first.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I had to switch my shadow distance to medium on a 980ti + 4790k and I still only see the game using like 50% of my cpu. I dont know what the gently caress is going on.

Granted I boosted the loadcell paramater, everything was running fine on ultra before but shadows+extra loaded cells means performance plummets in towns.

Fun fact: The the shadow distance on medium is 3000 units. When you raise it to high this jumps to 14000.

If you manually edit the shadowdistance settings in the falloutprefs.ini you can probably put it somewhere around 6000 and still have 60 FPS everywhere and still have double the shadow distance of medium.

I have no idea why the jump between medium and high is that large.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

So are supply lines between settlements that important if you can just... fast travel to whatever place your poo poo is in? Everyone says the Local Leader perk is essential but I don't see why? I just restarted my game with 2 CHR and realized LL is like lvl 7 or something, whoops?

• Locked thread