Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Internet Kraken posted:

Grrr I despise this game I am sinking dozens of hours into through no will other than my own.
i like this game insofar as the murderhobo simulator of the year actually, and liking it makes you more perceptive to the problems of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Archonex posted:

Ahaha. Oh my god. The robotics expert perk is loving insane.

Don't believe me? Feast your eyes on this.

That's a loving Legendary Sentry Bot. And I own it. It's a permanent follower now. As in, fully commandable and everything.

And I have more. Many more. The last time a vertibird tried to roll up on me it was like a dozen flak cannons were going off. The thing didn't even make a full circle to bring it's gun to bear before three security bots gunned it down.

I'm thinking i'll see if I can put this one in my favorite settlement as a guard.

:aaaaa:

can you have that + a normal follower?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Magmarashi posted:

My *IMMERSION* is not so ruined that the extra legwork is really required. I had killed about 8 different kinds of mutated freak by that point, why should I know specifically which one they are talking about?
well, your pip-boy tells you in the stats page

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

i like this game insofar as the murderhobo simulator of the year actually, and liking it makes you more perceptive to the problems of it

Yeah, a lot of the problems with FO4 you don't really notice unless you care enough to.

Archonex posted:

That's a loving Legendary Sentry Bot. And I own it. It's a permanent follower now. As in, fully commandable and everything.

And I have more. Many more. The last time a vertibird tried to roll up on me it was like a dozen flak cannons were going off. The thing didn't even make a full circle to bring it's gun to bear before three security bots gunned it down.

I'm thinking i'll see if I can put this one in my favorite settlement as a guard.

:shittypop:

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I found a crate of nuclear mines. :stare:

Time to lay the most fun ambushes.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Digital_Jesus posted:

Welcome to why randomized borderlands style loot is really loving awful in a game like FO4. The flip side is they put like 1/100th the work of previous games hiding unique and interesting to find weapons throughout the world.

I'm calling bullshit on this full stop. How many "unique and interesting" weapons were in Fallout 3? Uniques identical to normal weapons with higher stats don't count.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I wish there was an option to make the legendaries dropped weapons-only

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

:aaaaa:

can you have that + a normal follower?

Yes. Unless it's a glitch i've had 3 sentry bots and my companion follow me around. They overheat constantly but you can either fast travel or wait at a target for an hour and they'll catch up to you. Then you can begin the slaughter. :unsmigghh:

The only catch is that I haven't figured out if you can reprogram them to have different friend or foe/faction adjustments. So "friendly" groups like the BoS do fly bys on them and they gun them down. And if they go near NPC's that you aren't allied with they proceed to wipe out entire settlements. So I have to be careful where I take my ancient, slightly malfunctioning, yet loyal murderbots.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

well, your pip-boy tells you in the stats page

Well, now we are crossing over into that weird territory of Player info vs Character Info and there is nothing good past that border

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I'm calling bullshit on this full stop. How many "unique and interesting" weapons were in Fallout 3? Uniques identical to normal weapons with higher stats don't count.

I'm trying to think of one right now but I honestly can't in either 3 or New Vegas. There were a lot more unique weapons with funny names but I don't remember any of them being exceptionally good in an interesting way, rather than just a strictly superior version of the regular weapon.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Talking more about posts like this;

sector_corrector posted:

What I've learned from people here is that as long as they can see the same bits played out with skeleton and teddy bear props 200 or 300 times, dropping their controller clapping and hooting each time they see that, they'll put up with anything in terms of engine and writing. You could probably give them a viewfinder with screenshots of skeletons with combat knives stuck in them, and they'd give it a 95 on metacritic and spend two months defending it on here.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Archonex posted:

Yes. Unless it's a glitch i've had 3 sentry bots and my companion follow me around. They overheat constantly but you can either fast travel or wait at a target for an hour and they'll catch up to you. Then you can begin the slaughter. :unsmigghh:

The only catch is that I haven't figured out if you can reprogram them to have different friend or foe/faction adjustments. So "friendly" groups like the BoS do fly bys on them and they gun them down. And if they go near NPC's that you aren't allied with they proceed to wipe out entire settlements. So I have to be careful where I take my ancient, slightly malfunctioning, yet loyal murderbots.

my god...

:patriot:

time to look for dominator assaultrons. i want my stealth ninja robots

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

frajaq posted:

The gunplay in this game is so much better than before it's making real hard to play a melee-focused character after finishing the game with an Rifleman-build character :(
i'm having this problem too
melee sure feels like it sucks early on i have to actually think about picking my fights or something instead of just going bananas with bullets

i guess on the plus side i'm getting to enjoy all these melee kill animations/crit animations
when i fought a boss raider guy i ended up getting the crit anim for the pick up/throw them down thing four times in a row and it was hilarious

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm trying to think of one right now but I honestly can't in either 3 or New Vegas. There were a lot more unique weapons with funny names but I don't remember any of them being exceptionally good in an interesting way, rather than just a strictly superior version of the regular weapon.
this machine is inherently better than it's non-medicine stick counterparts because of it's unique trait of PING
same with that gun vs other revolvers

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I think you're right but the feeling that the weapon selection in FO4 seems so much worse than FO3 or New Vegas is hard not to notice.

I guess it's all in the presentation. It just feels cooler to have a bunch of real life assault rifles and SMGs than three varieties of pipe gun, two of which whose models are only subtly different in their receivers. It's pretty obvious that someone working on New Vegas was a real gun nut and it shows.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Digital_Jesus posted:

Welcome to why randomized borderlands style loot is really loving awful in a game like FO4. The flip side is they put like 1/100th the work of previous games hiding unique and interesting to find weapons throughout the world.

Good for them. Bad for you.

I'm going to do a mod that makes even more and even cooler randomized loot with more possibilities and the ability to have more than one special ability and make it all far more common because the real problem is this game doesn't go far enough down the diablo loot hole for me, not at all

just as soon as their are modding tools and a script extender

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Archonex posted:

Neato. I wonder if you can tame Legendary Deathclaws using the Wasteland Whisperer perk or take over an equivalent Legendary humanoid with the Intimidation perk.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

my god...

:patriot:

time to look for dominator assaultrons. i want my stealth ninja robots

On another note, it seems that legendaries under your command can mutate if they take damage. That fucker just tanked three rockets and a mininuke from a nearby mutant base. :stare:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Reveilled posted:

If you like, then, 200 years post-war Fallout's setting, before Fallout 3, was meant to be roughly equivalent to the world in Fiat Lux. Then Fallout 3 is a story set in the world of Fiat Homo, but instead of just doing the sensible thing and setting the story during the events of Fiat Homo, the writer decides that it's happening after the events of Fiat Lux because he has a dumb "never write a prequel" rule. And then people start saying that the Fiat Homo world is an integral part of the Canticle for Leibowitz setting, and the idea that future stories follow the progression set out in Fiat Lux becomes the opinion of people who are taking the setting too seriously.

I hope this comparison pleases you.

However, I am still greatly enjoying this dumb game with it's terrible story. Shooting things and looting boxes is fun. I just wish I could be shooting things and looting boxes in a not-dumb game with a not-terrible story.
Fallout 3 and Fallout 4 being set in Fiat Homo is ironic because you can't be gay in either game.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Neato. I wonder if you can tame Legendary Deathclaws using the Wasteland Whisperer perk or take over an equivalent Legendary humanoid with the Intimidation perk.

Yup.

Legendary status doesn't seem to affect level so you should have chance to pacify/incite/command.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
I made a horrifying discovery inside one of those personal preservation pods.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Geokinesis posted:

Yup.

Legendary status doesn't seem to affect level so you should have chance to pacify/incite/command.

Wow, definitely want to see a video of a Deathclaw pet now.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I think you're right but the feeling that the weapon selection in FO4 seems so much worse than FO3 or New Vegas is hard not to notice.

I guess it's all in the presentation. It just feels cooler to have a bunch of real life assault rifles and SMGs than three varieties of pipe gun, two of which whose models are only subtly different in their receivers. It's pretty obvious that someone working on New Vegas was a real gun nut and it shows.

I get this, I just still think it's a step forward to have weapon modifiers like explosive rounds, bonus limb damage, bottomless mags, and superior VATS hit/crit/damage. All of those open up new play options and can lead to special weapons way more interesting than any loot in Fallout 3 or New Vegas.

Their mistake was not allowing those to be part of the robust and improved crafting and weapon modification system. There's really no reason you shouldn't be able to move those mods around, maybe with an appropriate perk like Gun Nut or Armorer. And of course I support there being more of them and more unique stuff in the world, too. I just think it's a farce to say FO3 and New Vegas had interesting item design or loot by comparison with FO4.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

So, this doesn't seem to be explained anywhere that I can find, but whats the deal with the weapon mods that end up in my inventory from scrapping weapons occasionally, how are they reused because it seems like I have to recraft new mods even if I have the same one in my inventory?
The screen doesn't really change if you have the mod, but the prompt should change from CRAFT to ATTACH MOD.

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

This is my first Fallout game and jesus h christ the UI is god awful. Is there a way to see which workers are assigned to what? I assume not, so is there a mod for this? I don't know who is doing what!
Hover over someone in minecraft mode and anything they are assigned to will have a glowing green outline. It really doesn't matter very much because you only need to set like 3 people in the garden and one person on a trade route and everyone else can just sit there.

Worst case scenario: You accidentally reassigned one of your food workers and your food count went down by 6. Just grab someone else.

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

cool i would love to jot down some notes in my handy video game notebook
Same, it is hard to keep track of which sponsors you have contracted and are wearing in UFC and a notebook is the easiest solution. The video game notebook is a shared experience for anyone who's not a gross millennial.

2house2fly posted:

You are trapped in a small room with a baby. Your wife blocks the only exit. You cannot leave until you spin the mobile. The baby loves it. This is not a tutorial. You don't learn anything about the game. Why do they trap you in this room and force you to spin the mobile?
So that you can LOVE BABY and then the narrative will work

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Internet Kraken posted:

The Metal Blaster was one of my favourite weapons in Fallout 3, being a loving laser shotgun.
Now in Fallout 4, I can make an Automatic laser shotgun which never needs to be reloaded. Perfect for things like blood bugs which are hard to target.

Lincoln's Repeater was also unique until they added in a less fancy version in Point Lookout. The MIRV was a fat man that shot cluster nukes.

New Vegas had that doggy gun?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

This small side event in Diamond City took a rather cute, though a bit weird, turn.

Also picked up this little beauty:

Just a shame Curie hates it if I do too many drugs.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Seriously. This is insane. It's just soloing one of the nastiest super mutant bases in the mid game.

Also playing on survival since the start has turned my character into a demigod. I have an armor piece that automatically cloaks me like i'm using a stealthboy when standing still, two other pieces that give me +4 luck, another stat booster on the arm, and the final arm piece literally creates a prolonged jet-like effect if something knocks me below 20% health.

The last thing makes me invulnerable if I play smart since the game basically freezes in place while I either retreat and heal or unload on an enemy. And that's before you take a look at my ammo counter in that picture. All of my guns look like that.

It's definitely worth playing on that difficulty. It busts your balls at first but drat if it doesn't get fun once you find your feet.

Edit: Also this is a really drat pretty game if you crank the settings to the max. I never realized that until I started paging through my screenshots folder. :stare:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Nov 19, 2015

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

E-Tank posted:

I made a horrifying discovery inside one of those personal preservation pods.

Woah. Hey guys. Welcome to the Pulowski Preservation Shelter.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

how would a pre-war human on ice for 200 years who has killed 50 super mutants and wears the underpants of one of them NOT know to ask that question

try looking at it from another perspective, language can be less binary

You can choose whether or not to ask what a super mutant is at your discretion.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I've got a piece of armour that gives me jet whenever I get low on health, and I've been using it forever and I'm not gonna take it off. I just wait until i'm low on health before healing and get a free jet where I get the chance to wreck everything for free with no chance of addiction

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Deified Data posted:

i can choose to ignore your idiotic post but instead im going to respond to it:

lmao

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I get this, I just still think it's a step forward to have weapon modifiers like explosive rounds, bonus limb damage, bottomless mags, and superior VATS hit/crit/damage. All of those open up new play options and can lead to special weapons way more interesting than any loot in Fallout 3 or New Vegas.

Their mistake was not allowing those to be part of the robust and improved crafting and weapon modification system. There's really no reason you shouldn't be able to move those mods around, maybe with an appropriate perk like Gun Nut or Armorer. And of course I support there being more of them and more unique stuff in the world, too. I just think it's a farce to say FO3 and New Vegas had interesting item design or loot by comparison with FO4.

Can't really speak for Fallout 3 but New Vegas had weapons with improved crit chance, bonus limb damage, extra damage to robots/power armour, poisons you could apply to melee weapons, fatigue damage, plus in the DLC there were flashbangs which lowered all weapon skills, flare guns which terrified deathclaws and made them run away, dragon breath shells which made shotguns into flamethrowers, and explosive sniper rounds.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
^^^
Yeah, Survival is the way to go. The added Legendary items are nice.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Deified Data posted:

Just like the people that feel compulsed at gunpoint to save-scum speech checks instead of just living with the outcome, some people can't get over the fact that you are allowed to ask dumb questions but are not required to do so.

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
Why is the DJ for Diamond City Radio a literal autist. I actually prefer thee dog to this moron. Wtf were they thinking?

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

why are you complaining about this bug preventing you from progressing the game. you can just choose not to beat the game, jeez

thats what player choice is all about

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So I just started doing the Railroad quests. During your reacon mission with Deacon, is there supposed to be a Behemoth that spawns in the town and starts rampaging through everything, tearing apart all the synths for me? Cause that's what is happening.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Fereydun posted:

why did the institute attack a fish packing plant??
what is your grand scheme, institute-men!!

There's an answer to this in a terminal far away from the packing plant.

In the bio division of the institute they were researching more animals to turn into synths, and one terminal mentions that they should check out locations for aquatic animals

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

sector_corrector posted:

Part of suspension of disbelief is up to the creator. Comicbook radiation and mutated monsters are easy, because that's part of apocalyptic fiction (and it's interesting). There's literally no reason to set a story 200 years later and have it look like the next day. It's like starting a story with "It was a dark and stormy night. The sun was shining brightly." That's not the player's fault for not suspending disbelief, it's the writer's fault for sloppy storytelling.

Realistic scale of time is less important than theme and tone. This is far from exclusive to Fallout.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

FateFree posted:

There's an answer to this in a terminal far away from the packing plant.

In the bio division of the institute they were researching more animals to turn into synths, and one terminal mentions that they should check out locations for aquatic animals

But to attack a building 200 years after it was last used...

This Institute... Im starting to think they may have been questionably written!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

At what level is it "safe" to go looking for X-01 power armor and not have to hope it doesn't turn out to be T-51 instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Harrow posted:

At what level is it "safe" to go looking for X-01 power armor and not have to hope it doesn't turn out to be T-51 instead?

i think around 30 or so is when it starts to show up, so maybe 35-40?

• Locked thread