Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
MIGF is already the forums' loudest and most committed anti-Semite so maybe he's just annoyed that people see literal children as strong competition against him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Tough posted:

lol at everyone in this thread losing their poo poo over all this. Have you guys been under a rock for the last few decades? This is minor league stuff for the GOP

The people who would be most affected by these policies haven't really had time to acclimate themselves to the GOP

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

LeeMajors posted:

I don't know. Granted, I wasn't around for segregation and whatnot--but I feel like the naked aggression and pants-making GBS threads xenophobia has ratcheted to a fever pitch on the right to an amplitude that feels groundswell-y. Unapologetic racism and exclusionary politics...and these people aren't being admonished--they're tolerated.

When we have politicians openly advocating internment camps and vetting refugees based on religious....

Am I wrong for being concerned? This safety obsession was bad enough after 9/11, but the chicken-little, boot-quaking fear espoused by the GOP is really scary stuff. We have already given up an incredible amount of privacy.

I was only 15-16 when 9/11 happened and I don't remember hearing nearly as much of the same insanity people are spewing now. I don't remember anyone ever mentioning rounding people up and putting them in loving camps. Granted I wasn't as politically aware back then, but I feel like it's much worse now than it was in the years following the attack.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

On Terra Firma posted:

I was only 15-16 when 9/11 happened and I don't remember hearing nearly as much of the same insanity people are spewing now. I don't remember anyone ever mentioning rounding people up and putting them in loving camps. Granted I wasn't as politically aware back then, but I feel like it's much worse now than it was in the years following the attack.

You don't remember "Nuke Mecca"?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

On Terra Firma posted:

it was pretty insane, cries for nukes, glass parking lots etc.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
I'm pretty sure my dad who was a pretty outspoken liberal in the south did make mention that any further attacks should be met with the bombing of a major city in the ME.

He was also an avid Howard Dean supporter.

Edit: Pretty Michael Schruher called for the same thing during a talk at my school in 07

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

The Real Foogla posted:

I'm hoping it's a fever dream but I'm pretty sure I remember Ann Coulter literally calling for us to forcibly convert Muslims to Christianity and kill those that refuse at some point. I'm glad she's not in the public eye anymore.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Gravel Gravy posted:

I'm pretty sure my dad who was a pretty outspoken liberal in the south did make mention that any further attacks should be met with the bombing of a major city in the ME.

He was also an avid Howard Dean supporter.

Edit: Pretty Michael Schruher called for the same thing during a talk at my school in 07

Donald Trump, once again, has the proper answer to ISIL that I hope everyone in this thread can agree with: "Bomb the poo poo outta them."

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Ripoff posted:

I'm hoping it's a fever dream but I'm pretty sure I remember Ann Coulter literally calling for us to forcibly convert Muslims to Christianity and kill those that refuse at some point. I'm glad she's not in the public eye anymore.
The only reason she's not in the public eye anymore is that the entire Republican party has taken on her schtick of just blurting out reprehensible nonsense. Trying to come up with things that are so far right that they are shocking and newsworthy in their vileness is simply too daunting of a task now.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

The Real Foogla posted:

Were governors or members of congress shouting this at the top of their lungs? Maybe social media is just amplifying the crazy right now.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

On Terra Firma posted:

Were governors or members of congress shouting this at the top of their lungs? Maybe social media is just amplifying the crazy right now.

I don't know about sitting governors, but there was a lot of weird rhetoric around the time.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Cool story summarizing new research into Madison's notes on the Convention, which are the only complete record of the event. Turns out, ol' James applied the white out quite liberally to his own record! "Hmm, looks like I supported monarchy and slavery at the convention.... needs a bit of touch up work...."

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

The Real Foogla posted:

It was bad, but it really does feel like there are more people now in actual positions of power pushing barely concealed messages of bigotry and hate, and that the general support for that kind of rhetoric is a lot stronger.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

computer parts posted:

You don't remember "Nuke Mecca"?

Bush wasn't saying "Nuke Mecca" - In fact he was saying that we're not at war with Islam and that most muslims are our friends, etc.

Also to not be afraid to go shopping.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Paradoxish posted:

It was bad, but it really does feel like there are more people now in actual positions of power pushing barely concealed messages of bigotry and hate, and that the general support for that kind of rhetoric is a lot stronger.

I don't think we've reached the level of the president's advisors pushing for and actually getting a shooting war against an unrelated country.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
As someone who has been a big critic of Obama I really feel like his reaction to these Paris attacks has been spot on.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Keep in mind that Arabs and other people from the Middle East used to be reliable Republican voters. Something changed around September 2001 to swing most of them towards the Democratic Party.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
A good read this morning in the Atlantic on Republican's prescriptive nonsense on "radical Islam"

https://newrepublic.com/article/124170/gops-obsession-radical-islam

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

hobbesmaster posted:

Bush wasn't saying "Nuke Mecca" - In fact he was saying that we're not at war with Islam and that most muslims are our friends, etc.

Also to not be afraid to go shopping.

There seems to be an inconsistent question being asked here. Some people want to know what general sentiment was, others are looking how people in any seat of power (governors, senators, etc) were saying, and some are looking to the President himself.

In the first case, "Nuke Mecca" is entirely accurate. The second case is harder to determine. The third case definitely generated a response that would not be out of place today (or at least wouldn't be less cruel).

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

haveblue posted:

I don't think we've reached the level of the president's advisors pushing for and actually getting a shooting war against an unrelated country.

But those were continued cronyist policies of the Reagan-era elite and not necessarily an expression of racism/xenophobia. The general population's racism just enabled it to happen without too much scrutiny.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Joementum posted:

Cool story summarizing new research into Madison's notes on the Convention, which are the only complete record of the event. Turns out, ol' James applied the white out quite liberally to his own record! "Hmm, looks like I supported monarchy and slavery at the convention.... needs a bit of touch up work...."

Big news, think it will have any effect on the election?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
For the record, of all things we can say about Bush, you can def say that he or at least his advisers were conscious of not directly fanning islamophbia in the way the current GOP do, which is sort referenced in the piece I jus tlinked.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It would be a bit different if we didn't have desperate presidential candidates trying to froth up the electorate.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The NRA is currently fighting to block the Denying Firearms and Explosives to Dangerous Terrorists Act, which would prohibit people on the no-fly list from buying guns.

The bill was introduced by Peter King who, as we know, has an interesting history w/r/t arming terrorists.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
For fucks sake Joementum

Reported cases of chlamydia, gonorrhea, and syphilis have all increased for the first time since 2006

Get your poo poo together man

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
So have I stopped being Dave and now I'm Asawin?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

A good read this morning in the Atlantic on Republican's prescriptive nonsense on "radical Islam"

https://newrepublic.com/article/124170/gops-obsession-radical-islam

That's a pretty good article. Shame it'll just be ignored though.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I don't really understand the no-fly list. Does it mean LEOs are actively trying to find the person to arrest them, or can people live a completely normal life, then go to the airport and suddenly find they aren't allowed to go on the flight for no apparent reason?

Because if it's the latter then I think I'm with the NRA on this. If white people can have guns, everyone should be able to have guns.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

On Terra Firma posted:

I remember right-wing pundits saying all that poo poo (Malkin's "In Defense of Internment" came out in 2004), and maybe some rando congressmen from buttfuck Missouri, but the Republican Party by and large kept a tight grip on official Islamophobia, and took the line that Islam isn't our enemy and Mid-East Muslims are crying out for American liberators to bring them democracy.

I think it's just that the Republicans let the Tea Party genie out of the bottle to beat Obama and now they can't control the crazy, so they have Jeb and Rubio trying to compete with the poo poo Trump and Carson are saying

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I wouldn't say people have changed that much since 9/11. The difference is that most people in 2001 (especially the Vietnam generation) were passively watching TV news and yelling at no one. Today most people can go on twitter or a comment section.

Internet Nobody
May 17, 2009

joeburz posted:

This map owns

right click on the image and search google - mine thinks it is a map of chik-fil-a locations

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

VitalSigns posted:

I remember right-wing pundits saying all that poo poo (Malkin's "In Defense of Internment" came out in 2004), and maybe some rando congressmen from buttfuck Missouri, but the Republican Party by and large kept a tight grip on official Islamophobia, and took the line that Islam isn't our enemy and Mid-East Muslims are crying out for American liberators to bring them democracy.

I think it's just that the Republicans let the Tea Party genie out of the bottle to beat Obama and now they can't control the crazy, so they have Jeb and Rubio trying to compete with the poo poo Trump and Carson are saying

One of the biggest proponents of curbing Islamophobia is loving Grover Norquist.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah I think things like Facebook, Twitter, etc have just amplified what was already there

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Phone posted:

One of the biggest proponents of curbing Islamophobia is loving Grover Norquist.

Being married to a Palestinian Muslim will do that.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
There's also the fact that the GOP is no longer in charge of the presidency and don't have to even pretend to act like adults.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

ProfessorCirno posted:

There's also the fact that the GOP is no longer in charge of the presidency and don't have to even pretend to act like adults.

That's not entirely true.

For all the things I want to say about John McCain, he largely was an adult.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

That's not entirely true.

For all the things I want to say about John McCain, he largely was an adult.

On any issue not directly relating to Obama, anyway.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

computer parts posted:

Being married to a Palestinian Muslim will do that.

Typical GOPer who's empathy doesn't extend one centimeter beyond their kitchen table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

This is incredible. Bringing back the empty chair meme - because it worked so well the first time.

• Locked thread