Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

Kanfy posted:

Powerful items are cool but Stopwatch was basically an automatic victory in item form for everyone except The Lost and not even in a way that was particularly fun, so I'm not too broken up about it being nerfed. Although I agree that it definitely shouldn't count as a special item anymore.

Also I don't think I've ever seen a fanbase so salty about a game they've spent hundreds of hours playing as this one. Well no, actually I have, in MMOs, which leads me to conclude that there comes a point where some people simply get too invested in a game and from that point on every decision the devs make that they don't agree with makes them react like the sky is falling.

Don't pick it up if you don't like what it does then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Buncha dumb nerds posting that they don't like something. You're all just salty/butthurt/whatever.

Kanfy posted:

Powerful items are cool but Stopwatch was basically an automatic victory in item form for everyone except The Lost and not even in a way that was particularly fun, so I'm not too broken up about it being nerfed. Although I agree that it definitely shouldn't count as a special item anymore.

Don't pick it up then? I see a lot of items that I think do not impact the game positively and I just don't pick them up, especially when they are shop items that cost 15 coins.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Yeah, think about all the rear end items from rebirth and even classic that are either inconsequential or can end up not doing anything at all. Like dead bird and bird foot. Nerfing strong items sure is going to make me see renewed value in those two examples.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Fano posted:

I don't really understand why people are mad about them nerfing an item that was basically an autowin on 11 out of the 13 characters in the game.

There's like a 1 in 500 chance of seeing it on any run with any character. If you get lucky enough to a) see it in a shop and b) happen to be able to afford it at that specific moment (edit: c) for a character that can make use of it), you deserve the victory.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Jibo posted:

Don't pick it up then? I see a lot of items that I think do not impact the game positively and I just don't pick them up, especially when they are shop items that cost 15 coins.

It's still special so now you're less likely to see another special item, even if you have curse of the blind and couldn't see what it was. Not that that wouldn't happen before, but now it's practically useless. Even Soy Milk was fun every once in a while even if it was objectively bad 99% of the time.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Dr. Fetus posted:

There has also been more nerfs than buffs throughout any post launch updates Rebirth and Afterbirth got, so there's probably gonna be more complaining than not.

Yeah, I don't agree with all the changes that have happened either and I think there are a whole bunch of issues especially when it comes to useless items, but if you read some of these reactions out of context you'd think there had been some huge mishap on a governmental level instead of one item being nerfed in a video game.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Skaw posted:

Yeah, think about all the rear end items from rebirth and even classic that are either inconsequential or can end up not doing anything at all. Like dead bird and bird foot. Nerfing strong items sure is going to make me see renewed value in those two examples.

Eve's bird foot is a good trinket though.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I want to get the nails and tiny planet and soy milk in the same run.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

AnonSpore posted:

I want to get the nails and tiny planet and soy milk in the same run.

Throw a tape worm, coal, and quad shot on there and you've got a stew goin'

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Kanfy posted:

Yeah, I don't agree with all the changes that have happened either and I think there are a whole bunch of issues especially when it comes to useless items, but if you read some of these reactions out of context you'd think there had been some huge mishap on a governmental level instead of one item being nerfed in a video game.

Did you know it's common to use hyperbole on Internet forums?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Power of Pecota posted:

Throw a tape worm, coal, and quad shot on there and you've got a stew goin'

Coal would make it actually kill things which goes counter to my objective of just knocking dudes around like a 3d game where something got stuck in the geometry

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

CJacobs posted:

There's like a 1 in 500 chance of seeing it on any run with any character. If you get lucky enough to a) see it in a shop and b) happen to be able to afford it at that specific moment (edit: c) for a character that can make use of it), you deserve the victory.

It's also already marked as a Special in the code for this very reason, and it only appears in a single pool that you only get a few tries at due to be overridden by Greed fights sometimes.

It's also not necessarily an "I Win" button depending on the player and the fight. It causes enemies and projectiles to move in non-intuitive ways that are sometimes even detrimental. The Stain can still wreck your poo poo. Rooms in The Chest or Cathedral can still wreck your poo poo.

Yeah, if one of us who has spent hundreds of hours playing gets it then it's likely a won run. Who cares. Brimstone, Ipecac, Dr. Fetus(post-Afterbirth), Epic Fetus, and Mom's Knife are all the same way. The difference with Stopwatch at least was that it did it in a more interesting way than just giving you crazy room clear.

I don't really understand why they're trying to balance Rebirth items now that Afterbirth is out. I guess shops are a lot stronger now with Restock, but again, that's why Stopwatch is marked as a special in the code. They already had a mechanism to prevent doling out too many OP items.

Kanfy posted:

Well, you've chosen to read a thread on a video game forum about a video game that lots of us here have been playing for a long time.

AnonSpore posted:

Coal would make it actually kill things which goes counter to my objective of just knocking dudes around like a 3d game where something got stuck in the geometry

If you added Pisces it would probably be even more ridiculous and end up killing you since Tiny Planet has a tendency to pull enemies toward you due to the way the tears rotate.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Nov 20, 2015

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Uh sure, okay.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Rorus Raz posted:

Uh sure, okay.

Congrats, you're the unluckiest person alive! :toot:

edit: If it jammed on the very first coin, that's probably a bug. If it jammed on the second-ish coin, it's because the chance actually has decimal places but just doesn't show them to you, so you jammed the machine on a .5% or less chance for it to do so!

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I just don't think it needs to jam in the first place, but I guess Edmund wants long pointless grinds :toot:

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Rorus Raz posted:

Uh sure, okay.

Did you get an unlock when you donated and it jammed? Because that happened to me a bit ago and just so happened to be the coin that got me Eve's unlock.

Also I just had the machine jam on the third coin two runs in a row at 5% and 8& :(

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Rorus Raz posted:

I just don't think it needs to jam in the first place, but I guess Edmund wants long pointless grinds :toot:

Think about this though, if you ever want to rig any vote, just vote for a side and the other will be guaranteed to win. The power of negative-luck is in your hands, my friend, use it wisely.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm still on the vita version but I'm cool with never getting lost and the keeper, don't care for long stupid grinds and horribly designed characters.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
I feel like a better way to balance the stopwatch is simply have it so it acted like the broken stopwatch but with no chance to speed up. Then it's pretty powerful and not another get hit type of item.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Anchors posted:

I feel like a better way to balance the stopwatch is simply have it so it acted like the broken stopwatch but with no chance to speed up. Then it's pretty powerful and not another get hit type of item.

You have to realize that Edmund thinks effect-on-damage items are the epitome of the "risk/reward" gameplay he's so fond of. Be lucky not every item in the game only activates when you take damage.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

BJPaskoff posted:

You have to realize that Edmund thinks effect-on-damage items are the epitome of the "risk/reward" gameplay he's so fond of. Be lucky not every item in the game only activates when you take damage.
Crybaby

+100000 Damage

You cannot fire tears. If you take damage, you can fire a single tear.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT
Just beat the hush and megasatan with Judas in the same run without ever seeing an angel room. I suppose I upped my chances of getting dad's key by bringing a Jera rune with me to the chest but still it feels great.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

For an expansion Edmund claims was "for the fans" he sure is upsetting them with practically every update :ironicat:

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

This is an interesting change that, if it stays, could make completing runs with The Lost a lot easier: https://www.reddit.com/r/bindingofisaac/comments/3tic1j/dying_with_missing_poster_now_makes_you_revive_as/

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

This is an interesting change that, if it stays, could make completing runs with The Lost a lot easier: https://www.reddit.com/r/bindingofisaac/comments/3tic1j/dying_with_missing_poster_now_makes_you_revive_as/

Okay, that actually makes completing Lost runs (before unlocking Holy Mantle) a lot more feasible, and gives an interesting effect to that trinket.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

"Remember when The Lost used to be about surviving and actual skill"

lmao

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

It seems to be 100% of the time, too, at least from my brief tests. You don't get either the D4 or Holy Mantle, of course.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Pretty neat! Of course, what will actually happen is that I will kill myself, respawn as the Lost, and then instantly die after re-entering the room.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Apparently if you come across the Missing Poster as the Lost, it essentially serves as an extra life. No idea if you would respawn with the Holy Mantle or D4 in that case, haven't tested it myself yet.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Also apparently The Battery is currently bugged/nerfed so that it only grants extra charges past the first on 2x2 rooms.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Anyone try chucking a Chaos Card at Ultra Greed since the update? I just did and it didn't kill him but I may have just barely missed him.

Also it could just be me but it seems like coin health was incresed again. I was only able to get one or two down each time on my last couple of runs.

E: Missing Poster is letting you respawn as the lost is huge. Restock abuse with the IV can get you charged up to god status on a regular character and then you can just sacrifice yourself once you get the poster and steamroll everything.

Jibo fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Nov 20, 2015

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete

CJacobs posted:

"Remember when The Lost used to be about surviving and actual skill"

lmao

Oh that is just precious. :allears:

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Haha holy poo poo not a single person on reddit agrees with that man

edit for posterity:

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Speaking of going too far in the other direction, two separate petitions have been started to get them to un-nerf the Stopwatch. Together they have three signatures.

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

All cans are welcome and equal in your city, regardless of can content, and whether empty or full.

CJacobs posted:

Congrats, you're the unluckiest person alive! :toot:

edit: If it jammed on the very first coin, that's probably a bug. If it jammed on the second-ish coin, it's because the chance actually has decimal places but just doesn't show them to you, so you jammed the machine on a .5% or less chance for it to do so!

The same thing just happened to me but it jammed after about 40 coins. But the % counter still said 0%. I assumed this meant the counter display was broken. Did they actually change how many coins it takes to increase the percentage?

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I'm not necessarily miffed about the Stopwatch nerf, especially since with Glowing Hourglass it's a lot easier to unlock. but

1. it sucks that the only way to find out something got changed is after actually getting it, so you pick something up expecting it to work one way and it doesn't, because they're so resistant to the idea of changelogs for whatever reason. I guess they really love everything about the game being an arbitrary Scooby Doo mystery you have to solve.

2. they've done a lot of nerfing but not a lot of balancing. It'd be nice if any of the shittier items were given new purposes, like literally any of the beans. The Missing Poster change is very cool and I'm glad it's not just a useless puzzle piece anymore--why can't they do more like this? There'd be so much less whining if we had more pleasant surprises than unpleasant ones.

3. Why the gently caress is it still a special item

I'm not really bothered by the nerf itself so much as I'm bothered by how out of touch with their playerbase the devs seem to be.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
How does the missing poster respawn work? Do you start the room over or just get back up?

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

nerdbot posted:

I'm not really bothered by the nerf itself so much as I'm bothered by how out of touch with their playerbase the devs seem to be.
Every change comes from McMillen seeing something he doesn't like and deciding the best solution.

Nicalis sometimes implement what he wanted, sometimes just break poo poo.

There's no overarching plan of balance (as if balance even matters in a SP game that's driven by the RNG selecting items anyway)

Has anyone on the development side mentioned maybe changing the HM/D4 starter for The Lost, since it doesn't really make sense?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Putting together a broken build is fun, picking up one rather common item that makes the game trivially easy isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Geight posted:

How does the missing poster respawn work? Do you start the room over or just get back up?

Works like most other extra life items. Sends you back to the previous room.