Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Carbon dioxide posted:

It's a bit of reddit in-joking, but this vid still made me chuckle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFlT9FUY7tM

Reddit in-joking aside, that was hilarious.

ArfJason posted:

im not usually a sucker for stuff like this but man this is adorable

That looks amazing, got a link?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Zo posted:

This gets a lot harder with two of him. Multiple bloats is my personal nightmare scenario. Even multiple adversaries or stains can be mostly dodged with good awareness. Bloats will instantly snipe you from offscreen.

Anything that shoots straight lasers tends to gently caress me. I can deal with Adversary pretty well, but Monstro II and Bloat will just destroy me. Krampus as well. The new little vagina-men that shoot in a 4 way also have been wrecking me because I've only had time for a handful of Afterbirth runs.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
So I did all 4 steps to get The Lost but it didn't unlock. Are seeds not allowed anymore...? :confused:

At this point I'll just use a cheat too, anyone know of anything that works for Afterbirth?

I managed to beat The Hush as Azazel on my first try on a different run, which I was proud of as a typically bad BoI player. :toot:

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Anatharon posted:

So I did all 4 steps to get The Lost but it didn't unlock. Are seeds not allowed anymore...? :confused:

At this point I'll just use a cheat too, anyone know of anything that works for Afterbirth?

It's got a new unlock method. You have to die in a sacrifice room with the Missing Poster now.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

cryptoclastic posted:

Anything that shoots straight lasers tends to gently caress me. I can deal with Adversary pretty well, but Monstro II and Bloat will just destroy me. Krampus as well. The new little vagina-men that shoot in a 4 way also have been wrecking me because I've only had time for a handful of Afterbirth runs.

You'll get used to monstro 2 and krampus really fast. The former's attack patterns are set in stone and the laser can and should be baited out for lots of free shooting time. Krampus has a long chargeup animation.

Bloats otoh can be thought of as having a permanent T-shaped brim laser shooting out so basically never ever cross over. Easily done with just one, but multiples are maddening.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I swear Krampus doesn't have the same chargeup he used to have before Afterbirth, fucker catches me with Brimstone way more often now. That, spinning Brimstone and the new Krampus Room layouts have upped that fight from afterthought post-disappointment boss to "oh poo poo I have no health/damage and I got a floor 3 Krampus".

Also Bloat can get hosed, insta-laser from every clear attack angle but up, which would be fine except he also jumps around and cuts that angle, and then you're left sneaking diagonal shots while you try and dodge his eyes WITHOUT getting into the lasers' vector...easily my worst boss fight and unfun to boot.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

legoman727 posted:

On the subject of bosses that can gently caress right off forever: The Bloat. gently caress him and his instant brimstone spamming fat rear end forever.

Pro tip for fighting The Bloat: He can't shoot upward.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
So I know I had pretty much every item in the game, but if you use a card against humanity in the greed boss room, does this normally happen?

Is Midas' Touch the one doing that, or is it a property of the room?

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
While I thought that people overreacted to the Stopwatch nerf, if they ever go and nerf Tammy's Head I'll be legit sad.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

GuavaMoment posted:

So I know I had pretty much every item in the game, but if you use a card against humanity in the greed boss room, does this normally happen?

Midas's Touch. If you have it any poop you generate can be golden. I think it only checks once for the CAH, so they're either all gold or none of them are.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Has anyone ever been on an XL floor and wound up taking both amnesia and the curse of the maze pill? Or some other highly unlikely circumstance that caused an unavoidable loss.

I really hate unavoidable damage on the new trap rooms because of low speed or straight bullshit like the forsaken/krampus doing their circling brimstone beams while hugging a wall so you can't avoid their attack without walking into them and taking damage regardless.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Yeah, apparently Edmund only considers a room "unavoidable damage" if the damage will always happen no matter what stats and/or items you have. Those spike rooms are totally fine because you definitely can always dodge the spikes with enough skill :jerkbag:

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

senrath posted:

Yeah, apparently Edmund only considers a room "unavoidable damage" if the damage will always happen no matter what stats and/or items you have. Those spike rooms are totally fine because you definitely can always dodge the spikes with enough skill :jerkbag:

You will always be flying with lost so its fine obviously

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Jusupov posted:

You will always be flying with lost so its fine obviously

You can get hosed over pretty hard with some of the new spike switch rooms. You can also get damage raced in any small room.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

GuavaMoment posted:

If you have E. Coli and Midas Touch enemies will turn into golden poops. But I have no idea about interactions with the card or Greed mode.
Looking at the wiki, running into Ultra Greed with Midas' Touch will remove his damage resistance.
So that's neat at least.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

ErIog posted:

You can get hosed over pretty hard with some of the new spike switch rooms. You can also get damage raced in any small room.

I've written about it a few pages ago, but yeah. There's that room with two switch buttons and randomly moving grey spikes that has a chance of some of the grey spikes spawning as blue ones (and those ones won't be disabled even after pressing the switches). The one I got with the Lost and screwed me over had two blue spikes spawned right next to one of the switch buttons (I think I have a screenshot of that somewhere). There was no chance of pressing that button without being hurt unless you had some form of invincibility. In matter how good of an Isaac player you are.

On the.. not-so-lovely side of things, if you die in that room after you have pushed one of the buttons, say having Dead Cat, the progress seemed to be saved for the next live after re-entering the room (that button was already pressed). But yeah, still terrible.

Another terrible thing for the Lost is entering a deal with the devil from the top door with that little devil thing spawned that tends to hide behind the devil statue. If you don't have unlocked holy mantle for the Lost you are screwed.

On another note, I don't think I like Greed mode anymore. I need to take a serious break from it. The last fight takes forever no matter how strong is my build and it's starting to become a chore to fill up the greed machine. Also, I don't know if it's because of the latest patch or because of the "greed just got harder" unlock but now you can get multiple waves of the same type of enemies in direct sequence. And boy, is it not fun to get three subsequent waves of those bullshit disappearing tanky assholes that now shoot brimstone lasers?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Dias posted:

Also Bloat can get hosed, insta-laser from every clear attack angle but up, which would be fine except he also jumps around and cuts that angle, and then you're left sneaking diagonal shots while you try and dodge his eyes WITHOUT getting into the lasers' vector...easily my worst boss fight and unfun to boot.

If you can't safely damage him, don't damage him? Go on top of him, shoot him. When he jumps to where you are get out of the way, get to a place he can't hurt you that's below him somewhere and then start damaging him again when he's not at the top of the screen. Easy.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

MrL_JaKiri posted:

If you can't safely damage him, don't damage him? Go on top of him, shoot him. When he jumps to where you are get out of the way, get to a place he can't hurt you that's below him somewhere and then start damaging him again when he's not at the top of the screen. Easy.

It's still a boring as gently caress fight, and the eyes are a pain if you're trying to sneak up shots. Listen, I just wanna hate on that boss.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Having to wait around until the boss lets you damage him has the same problems as fighting bosses without any damage ups. It's possible, you can do it perfectly, but it's loving boring as poo poo and I've had plenty of runs where I've just taken by fingers off the keyboard because I simply couldn't be bothered to kill a boss.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
I think there is some ground between "taking longer to kill the boss means it's more dangerous because it means more chance for mistakes" and "you need to do this to easily avoid his attacks, which makes the fight last slightly longer". The Bloat is squishy enough that I think this tactic is fine.

It's not like you go and stand in the Krampus brimstone just to get a few extra attacks in

Steelpudding
Apr 21, 2010

I've got Balls of Steel!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I think there is some ground between "taking longer to kill the boss means it's more dangerous because it means more chance for mistakes" and "you need to do this to easily avoid his attacks, which makes the fight last slightly longer". The Bloat is squishy enough that I think this tactic is fine.

It's not like you go and stand in the Krampus brimstone just to get a few extra attacks in

Bloat is a bastard. You don't have any real way of attacking him except trying to shoot tears diagonally at him. Or stand above him, in which case he jumps at you, and then you'll have to make him jump downwards again. Seriously, gently caress Bloat.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Sure, but whenever you're not on top of the Bloat, you're basically maneuvering in a quarter of a normal room (that's if you didn't get a more cramped layout) , and you still have to dodge the floating eyes, the circle shot and pay attention to his jumps. To me, he's the hardest normal boss, hands down, I don't even know what competes with him.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

Dias posted:

To me, he's the hardest normal boss, hands down, I don't even know what competes with him.

Mask of Infamy. gently caress the Mask of Infamy.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Champion Bloat is the best. Insta brimstones, fires Ipecac shots, floating eyes AND spawns maggots.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Disgusting Coward posted:

As long as I'm not Maggy, I can handle Mask of Infamy fine, it's tedious as gently caress with low damage but it's not especially hard. Carrion Queen is the other boss that comes to mind as an annoying one, and I'm growing to hate Brownie (? the mega yellow poop rear end in a top hat), but I still rank Bloat #1 BCS contender.

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete

Disgusting Coward posted:

Yeah. I'm not a fan of Bloat either, but I'm very tired of Mask of Infamy turning around as my tear's about to hit him.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Mask of Infamy isn't hard, just extremely tedious. Bloat on the other hand is harder than any endgame boss (though mostly because you can actually get to him while underpowered)

Brownie seems like they're going to gently caress up a run for me sooner or later, but haven't yet.

Tetracube fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Nov 23, 2015

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Those are all weird nicknames for The Stain. I can dodge the slow-fast tear attack most of the time (if there's just one boss), but whenever he goes underground for an extended period, I end up getting hit when he emerges.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Did the Nightlight work on some bosses before? I thought it did, but now Lust, Greed, etc just run right through it.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

AbDomen posted:

If you get into an angel room: bomb the statue, get the key piece, then exit the game and continue from the save. The angel statue will have respawned and you can bomb it again for the second key piece. This way you only need one angel room in the entire run, unless you're like me and keep forgetting to bring bombs to it.

Also in afterbirth if you bomb a statue and get a key piece in an angel room and when you walk back into the boss room the entrance is still there, you can go back in and there'll be another statue you can bomb for the other key piece. I personally don't like messing around with saves and it still works about half of the time vOv

senrath posted:

Midas's Touch. If you have it any poop you generate can be golden. I think it only checks once for the CAH, so they're either all gold or none of them are.

This isn't true, I had midas' touch + card against humanity once and got like 30% gold poops in a big room. It's still an insane combo though.

CJacobs posted:

Pro tip for fighting The Bloat: He can't shoot upward.

If you have poo poo damage and are fighting the bloat he'll jump up to crowd you and possibly drop green pee puddles directly behind him. Plus the eyes can get wedged between bloat and the top wall. Bloat will always be my least favorite normal boss for sniping me doing the Lost boss rush in rebirth, edging out the Adversary. I'd give third to first floor Dangle (the yellow one) or Haunt when you have no damage. Okay yeah the stain's worse, forgot about him.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I had another breaking Greed run where I got Blank Card and had both 2 of Diamonds and Dice Shard. I found Glowing Hourglass, and tanked for a few minutes over whether to take it and leave my awesome combo behind. I was already super powerful, so I went with the Glowing Hourglass. The Greed machine jammed at 994 coins. I was glad I chose the Glowing Hourglass.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Waffle! posted:

Did the Nightlight work on some bosses before? I thought it did, but now Lust, Greed, etc just run right through it.

All bosses are immune to it.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Curse of the Blind on Blue Womb is the worst. Thanks for Kamikaze and Anarchist Cookbook.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Dr. Fetus posted:

All bosses are immune to it.

Basically it seems to work by continually applying a super short slow on anything in the light's effect area, and since bosses have an immunity timer for applying new statuses it basically just slows them for a fraction of a second and then they're status immune until the timer runs out.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I am really not enjoying trying to unlock Lilith. I can get to Ultra Greed most of the time with Azazel, but I just can't beat him. Should I be hoping for certain game breaking combos of items, since the boss fight just seems particularly painful with short ranged brimstone?

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Welp I've unlocked everything else, on to the Keeper

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I am really not enjoying trying to unlock Lilith. I can get to Ultra Greed most of the time with Azazel, but I just can't beat him. Should I be hoping for certain game breaking combos of items, since the boss fight just seems particularly painful with short ranged brimstone?

I hate Azazel as well. Hope for some range ups and/or lots of health. One interesting item is My Reflection (boomerang tears) which makes his brim twice as long but it bends in the middle.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
The Stain is nowhere near as bad as the bloat. I'd go as far as to say the stain isn't really very bad at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
The Stain is an rear end in a top hat that spends WAY too long underground, but other than luring it out I don't mind that fight. It's easy enough to bait the tentacle attack too.

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Yeah, Azazel's range is a problem in that fight. Farming range-ups is your best bet, because now they affect his laser noticeably.