Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Anita Dickinme posted:

Just throw him into the river/woods.

Rinkles posted:

But the dog is (somehow) too heavy to move

And they might return to their spot after a certain amount of time has passed anyway.

I've been disabling setpiece raiders and ghouls from the beginning and I've had no issues 50+ hours in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I'm like, 90% sure I moved the dog, as well. It was a while ago and I haven't noticed them. :shrug:

Have y'all tried using power armor to move them?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Oxyclean posted:

It's been awhile since I read up about the effect of nuclear bombs, but I thought radiation would dissipate significantly in that kind of time period. Like at least to a degree you shouldn't have a thing like the glowing sea. While I'm being picky about video games, I don't understand how lightning imparts radiation. Like, a radiation storm raining acid/irradiated rain makes sense, but not the flashes of lightning themselves. (Although I guess the lightning giving you rads was way cooler)

I think you may be using science instead of SCIENCE! to understand how radiation works. That is your problem.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Oxyclean posted:

It's been awhile since I read up about the effect of nuclear bombs, but I thought radiation would dissipate significantly in that kind of time period. Like at least to a degree you shouldn't have a thing like the glowing sea. While I'm being picky about video games, I don't understand how lightning imparts radiation. Like, a radiation storm raining acid/irradiated rain makes sense, but not the flashes of lightning themselves. (Although I guess the lightning giving you rads was way cooler)

Also, what's the deal with that Children of Atom settlement? How the gently caress are they alive?

why would you think radiation in fallout works like radiation in the real world in a setting that has ghouls, giant scorpions and cows with two heads

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Bohemian Nights posted:

why would you think radiation in fallout works like radiation in the real world in a setting that has ghouls, giant scorpions and cows with two heads

I think because the setting mixed everything up a lot by introducing FEV and making it super unclear if anything is or isn't a radioactive mutant.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I think you may be using science instead of SCIENCE! to understand how radiation works. That is your problem.

Fair enough, considering you can just purge your radiation with a medical capri sun.

Irradiated areas in fallout just give me the same aversion/discomfort underwater areas do in games that have oxygen meters.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

I have piper on full relationship. Is it possible to leave her in a settlement and start trying to level up/(romance) Cait with affecting my stats with Piper?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Oxyclean posted:

Fair enough, considering you can just purge your radiation with a medical capri sun.

I just vaguely assume that you are all screwed and everyone will die of cancer by 30 and the fallout world is just more advanced at treating immediate physical effects of radiation poisoning. The same way it's clear that med-x isn't REALLY making you immune to damage, it's just morphine that makes you mind damage 25% less.

Like every game that has had some "we need pure vaultdwellers" for this or that science project shows they don't actually have the technology to actually reverse the effects of radiation, just to cure acute side effects.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

The Bananana posted:

I have piper on full relationship. Is it possible to leave her in a settlement and start trying to level up/(romance) Cait with affecting my stats with Piper?

Yeah you're free to pursue that without consequences.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Oxyclean posted:

Also, what's the deal with that Children of Atom settlement? How the gently caress are they alive?

I think the key point they're trying to make in the opening game cinematic and in showing you the prewar lifestyle is that they were balls deep in nuclear power. In the real world we had chernobyl and three mile island, and those scared a lot of people. If we weren't so scared then maybe the glowing sea could be a thing that happened because we might just have a giant stockpile of nuclear poo poo lying around, or maybe their research into nuclear power became a lot more dangerous after there was no one around to keep it up.

also, SCIENCE!

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I bought the Minigun tri-barrel mod from Teagan and somehow ended up with the option to install a Tri-barrel X+ mod and now have both the standard and tri-barrel mods left over after installing...?

Anita Dickinme posted:

Just throw him into the river/woods.
I did - they came back :psyduck:

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Shumagorath posted:

I bought the Minigun tri-barrel mod from Teagan and somehow ended up with the option to install a Tri-barrel X+ mod and now have both the standard and tri-barrel mods left over after installing...?

I can confirm - I've moved the raider several times and he keeps respawning in front of the bridge. I've never even budged the seemingly 2-ton dog.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Fallout 1 says the war took 2 hours and fallout 2 says the war was followed by "great darkness" that lasted years. and both mention that the population was reset to near zero. I think the idea is always that the first 100 years or so the cities are virtually empty and only in the most recent years is there any sort of meaningful population at all.

in Fallout the world is in pretty bad shape for about fifty years. This is the time in which people turn into ghouls. Vaults with GECK kits open after about ten years. Others open fifty years later, when the world is pretty habitable. That's about when Diamond City is founded.

edit: and it took diamond city one hundred and fifty years to build four lovely apartments in the stands.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Nov 23, 2015

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Seems like it'd be pretty hard to rebuild society when nearly every book containing knowledge has been burnt, and the ones that remain are traded in at terminals for sweet book return tokens.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Shumagorath posted:

:suicide:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

LegoPirateNinja posted:

in Fallout the world is in pretty bad shape for about fifty years. This is the time in which people turn into ghouls. Vaults with GECK kits open after about ten years. Others open fifty years later, when the world is pretty habitable. That's about when Diamond City is founded.

Between that and all the people deciding "to hell with it I'm putting on my finest leather straps and following Humongous" it actually does make a bit more sense why things are still so hosed.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

LegoPirateNinja posted:

they really needed to consult with historians as to how society without all the stuff we take for granted functioned. it just seemed like they just pulled it out of their asses.

like oh, there's a city, a city has rich and poor people. of course they do. dont question it. dont ask how. here are the rich. you can hate them!

they could have done something cool and creative, like demonstrate how the manor system works in a post-apocalyptic world. that would be fun and kids would learn. and it would give form to the world. i dunno. im asking too much. and that's like what diamond city IS, almost, it's not, like, they dont show it working. they just built it.

Gamebryo. Can't have too many NPCs, even static ones, or the whole thing will explode like the Death Star.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
The worst part is that I stole the dude's coat so there's a corpse in its underwear and his dead dog right infront of the settlement where I keep my Bobbleheads.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Man the Cabot House questline serum made the glowing sea trivial.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Shumagorath posted:

The worst part is that I stole the dude's coat so there's a corpse in its underwear and his dead dog right infront of the settlement where I keep my Bobbleheads.

Just think, that's the first thing your weary, newly arrived settlers are going to see.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Shumagorath posted:

Target them, type "disable" in console if you are on pc, that SHOULD remove them and shouldn't cause any crashes/save issues.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

I also used "disable" to get the skeletons out of my settlements.

These motherfucking serfs were taking naps on piles of bones! What the gently caress!

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Just cannot quite compare to my Wounding shotgun.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Man the Cabot House questline serum made the glowing sea trivial.

alternatively, use a hazmat suit or power armor. I haven't seen anything but <1 RAD while in the hazmat. I can't remember where I found it though.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

padijun posted:

alternatively, use a hazmat suit or power armor. I haven't seen anything but <1 RAD while in the hazmat. I can't remember where I found it though.

Theres a few scattered around but you can get one doing a quest in diamond city. I just walked in in power armor and ignored basically all the radiation.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

So before I go nuts with energy weapons did they manage to fix that bug where the ash and goo piles would never ever despawn?

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
how does settlement building work in the context of endgame factions? if you side with, say, the bos, are they now bos settlements? Or are you always the minuteman guy, and is the big question "which of these three factions do the minutemen align themselves with?"

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

LuiCypher posted:

The Vaults were just social experiments to gently caress with people. The people that they really wanted to survive, the remnants of the U.S. Government that became the Enclave, did not have intentionally defective vaults. The point of Vault 13's water chip breaking (and Vault 13 not having enough spares) was to see if the Overseer would violate his orders from Vault-Tec or let the Vault die.

Of course if Fallout 2 is to be believed, then your descendant actually goes back in time to break the water chip to make his present continue to exist.

Actually as far as I recall Vault 13 was supposed to stay closed until the Enclave came around to grab the survivors so they'd have a good supply of generally untainted genetic material to work with. But the chip breaking is considered a happy accident because that means they have a set of tainted material in Arroyo to work with and compare to the guys who stayed in Vault 13.

Edit: vvv Yeah, I know. Just saying what the President of the Enclave tells you at the end of Fallout 2 if you ask him why they busted open your grandfather's vault.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Nov 23, 2015

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

evilmiera posted:

Actually as far as I recall Vault 13 was supposed to stay closed until the Enclave came around to grab the survivors so they'd have a good supply of generally untainted genetic material to work with. But the chip breaking is considered a happy accident because that means they have a set of tainted material in Arroyo to work with and compare to the guys who stayed in Vault 13.

Actually though its not canon in fallout 2 one of the special encounters has you going back into the past and breaking the water chip.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

So are shotguns weaksauce or something? They don't do the damage advertised even if I'm right up in their faces shoving my boomstick down their throat. I know videogame shotguns are short range but this is ridiculous..

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Starhawk64 posted:

So are shotguns weaksauce or something? They don't do the damage advertised even if I'm right up in their faces shoving my boomstick down their throat. I know videogame shotguns are short range but this is ridiculous..

I found shotguns lackluster until I found a Wounding one, now its basically cheating

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Starhawk64 posted:

VATSing people in the face with them seemed to work pretty good, a lot of the legendaries have damage bonus per pellet which is pretty ridiculous.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Does anyone have a problem where the Castle is constantly being damaged? I keep coming back to find everything had fallen apart, despite having 450 defence, and no alerts on the radio.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

CommissarMega posted:

Does anyone have a problem where the Castle is constantly being damaged? I keep coming back to find everything had fallen apart, despite having 450 defence, and no alerts on the radio.

I haven't had any problem like that thankfully.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007
edit: nothing to see here, no double posts, move along.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007
It's worrying when you are playing this, take a sneakshot with a gauss rifle for just under 3000 damage (552 * 5.4 sneak attack modifier) and don't oneshot a sentrybot, those guys have crazy armor.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I love the design of the Gauss Rifle. Dem exposed capacitors and Nixie Tubes. :allears:

Not to mention the comically oversized silencer you can put on it.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Starhawk64 posted:

I love the design of the Gauss Rifle. Dem exposed capacitors and Nixie Tubes. :allears:

Not to mention the comically oversized silencer you can put on it.

You need the comically oversized silencer for the 5.4x sneak attack bonus!

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Kea posted:

It's worrying when you are playing this, take a sneakshot with a gauss rifle for just under 3000 damage (552 * 5.4 sneak attack modifier) and don't oneshot a sentrybot, those guys have crazy armor.

I've got that glitch where my melee weapons don't display their damage properly but so far everything in the game dies from one max ranked stealth melee crit attack. poo poo that shruggs off direct artillery strikes can't handle my knife. Now that I finally got a ripper at level 42, it's the most disappointing thing I have ever held.

Edit: Other than Shaun of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Kea posted:

You need the comically oversized silencer for the 5.4x sneak attack bonus!

Max Deacon's social link and that becomes 6.3x.

• Locked thread