Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

isndl posted:

Some crews don't need that buffer and that's great, but I've played with both good crews and bad crews.

Okay, then, it's settled. If you're bad, use optimal guns to take advantage of every possible mechanic. Otherwise, do whatever you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

UnknownMercenary posted:

Well then I don't know what guns you would even be talking about that don't hit 39.9 then because everything else literally has a base damage of at least 38 which, by having a perk deck even halfway levelled, puts you at 39.9 without any mods attached. Damage mods barely do anything to the point that the trade-off is now always between accuracy and stability. I literally cannot give up any more damage to make my CAR-4 shoot straighter; it has a minimum of like 43 damage since a bunch of +accuracy mods also add like +1 damage.

Using a suppressor instead of a compensator to take advantage of the targeting priority mechanics is still an option, wonky as it may be. You don't need to invest points in Ghost to use The Bigger The Better effectively.

LuciferMorningstar posted:

Okay, then, it's settled. If you're bad, use optimal guns to take advantage of every possible mechanic. Otherwise, do whatever you want.

Thanks for your wisdom, LuciferMorningstar. I don't think I would have ever realized that on my own. :allears:

You'll note that my original comment was in response to the idea that breakpoints "literally don't matter". You've tacitly agreed that they do in fact matter. :)

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

isndl posted:

You'll note that my original comment was in response to the idea that breakpoints "literally don't matter". You've tacitly agreed that they do in fact matter. :)

In the context of people who are remotely competent at the shootmans (aka the only context worth talking about), the breakpoints literally do not matter.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tempest_56 posted:

As a rabid flamethrower user, there is no shame in using ammo bags. That's what they're there for - turning cops into candles.

And turret vans, don't forget that. I recently tried that out and it's hilarious how fast that breaks them.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

In the context of people who are remotely competent at the shootmans (aka the only context worth talking about), the breakpoints literally do not matter.

The remotely competent aren't the ones who would be asking about how breakpoints work. There's also no shame in optimizing your guns even as a competent player, or we would all be using AMCARS and nothing else.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

isndl posted:

There's also no shame in optimizing your guns even as a competent player, or we would all be using AMCARS and nothing else.

Optimizing a gun does not mean using the "best" gun all the time, nor does it even necessarily mean doing the same thing that someone else does. Not optimizing a gun does not mean using the worst gun you can find, either. In any case, the AMCAR is totally usable, so...

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Optimizing a gun does not mean using the "best" gun all the time, nor does it even necessarily mean doing the same thing that someone else does. Not optimizing a gun does not mean using the worst gun you can find, either. In any case, the AMCAR is totally usable, so...

Dude, just shut the gently caress up. This is an advice thread, as much as it is anything else. Saying "all things are fine, see you later!" Isn't giving advice to someone who doesn't know any better.

As I've always stated, there will come a time when a new player, who needs a bit of handholding. Eventually, he will get to the point where he doesn't need that anymore.

Those people aren't going to ask for advice, and your immensely lazy retort of "everything is good" applies at that point. Congrats.

For people who want some advice, why are you so dead set against giving it to them?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Gotta stomp on that dead cop competition. If they can't kill as fast or as hard as me, more body counts for me.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Crabtree posted:

Gotta stomp on that dead cop competition. If they can't kill as fast or as hard as me, more body counts for me.

You laugh, but this is a large part of what spurred Sykic and I on for a long time. He'd routinely beat me by a hair, but I pulled off upsets often enough to make it fun.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Drewjitsu posted:

Dude, just shut the gently caress up. This is an advice thread, as much as it is anything else. Saying "all things are fine, see you later!" Isn't giving advice to someone who doesn't know any better.

As I've always stated, there will come a time when a new player, who needs a bit of handholding. Eventually, he will get to the point where he doesn't need that anymore.

Those people aren't going to ask for advice, and your immensely lazy retort of "everything is good" applies at that point. Congrats.

For people who want some advice, why are you so dead set against giving it to them?

:qqsay:

Just to remind you, though, the point of discussion is the importance of the 39.9 breakpoint. As Merc correctly points out, it doesn't particularly matter, even for most new people. Practically every gun will hit the relevant breakpoint for one-shotting Overkill greens, and the extra bullet for tans is hardly likely to make a substantial difference. The only context in which it would make a difference is if you're really bad at scoring headshots, at which point you'd be much better served to practice aiming. See that last bit? That's useful advice for bads. Unfortunately, it puts the onus of doing well on the individual, rather than a game mechanic, so I can understand why you all find that so upsetting.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

grancheater posted:

I'm assuming you pointed them to any of the hud mods that make the hit indicator not terrible, otherwise this one's on you (for not pointing them to any of the hud mods that make the hit indicator not terrible).

Pointed them at HoxHUD, no idea if they used it. It would do so much poo poo for them. "How long on the drill?" "How many civvies are there?" "Which pager was that?"

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Pointed them at HoxHUD

smdh

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Non-goons.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Bad advice is still bad advice.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Drewjitsu posted:

Because for a long time in the life of this game, if you used anything but a 45/18/34 CAR4 (only if she's 5'3") and admitted it, you were poo poo, your whole lobby was poo poo, and people would fall over each other to post about it. A lot of regulars including myself railed against that and the sentiment still exists.

Since the rebalance "all guns are viable" is not that bad of advice, because it gets to the root of the matter: gettin gud. Jean-Luc Morningstar is just trying to be nice about it.

Gun advice: hit 40 damage with the highest accuracy you can on overkill. Now your gun is set, learn to pop helmets, take cover when needed, and manage ammo.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Psion posted:

Bad advice is still bad advice.

I have no defense other than not wanting to spend time on trying to help the helpless.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Fellis posted:

if you used anything but a 45/18/34 CAR4 (only if she's 5'3")

:laugh:

good post, great reference

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Is that a Mixalot reference?

Also, Slaughterhouse chat: it probably dos take place in Texas. Remember, the original game wasn't centered in DC, and you've got that (really bad) texas accent on the radio announcer.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

http://www.overkillsoftware.com/games/dallaspack/ posted:

One of their convoys, laden with ill-gotten loot, is trying to get through the city. YOUR city. Show them there's only one crew that owns the streets of Washington.

It probably did take place in Texas in Payday 1, but in Payday 2, it's in DC.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Before they made weapons good I just solved the CAR-4 issue by using a shotgun.

Now that almost all weapons are good I use a slug SPAS-12.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Shima Honnou posted:

Before they made weapons good I just solved the CAR-4 issue by using a shotgun.

speak not the dread name SLUGGATOR in this thread

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Geight posted:

It probably did take place in Texas in Payday 1, but in Payday 2, it's in DC.

This sort of poo poo just makes me think that elaborate ARG/mystery thing Overkill did was a complete accident. Not sure how a company wanting an inane detail-oriented thing gets sloppy like that.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just embarrass bad players by having your crime interns kill more dudes than them. HUD that show extra end of heist stats is a must though.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Shima Honnou posted:

This... shall be my grave.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

The reason I say try things out is because the other thread turned dick-waving with essays about stats that's a little much for newcomers. I'd rather encourage people to try things out and don't worry the game can be fun no matter what numbers are as long as you are a team player. It gets even worse when you tell someone you're enjoying your experience with the game, and someone is telling you you're enjoying it in the wrong because you're not exploiting every inch of it. It's part of why I trimmed a lot of the guides and stuff from the OP, because I hate opening up an OP and the first thing I see is sperg-posting about numbers and which mods to get before you even try to start up the game. Fire up the game, shoot some cops, notice what you like, and talk about it. If you're not sure about something in the game, ask around and I'll throw up some advice in the OP.

Psion posted:

Took a group of scrubs on a Sluggator run and they were insisting on being able to use fully modded-out great secondaries when they pleased. Shameful.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Psion posted:

I wonder what you would think of this mod

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

HebrewMagic posted:

As we're drawing fresh blood for the new thread, I re-submit my loose argument for a Campaign-style playthrough of the entire backlog of heists. I'm gonna try to keep on this as more jobs & heistdads/moms are added.
Check it here, pals.

Isn't Counterfeit before Heat Street because that's where you get the plates Matt steals?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Isn't Counterfeit before Heat Street because that's where you get the plates Matt steals?

no that is a completely separate set of plates for counterfeiting money that the gang never really uses but are willing to risk life and limb for because ??????????????????????????

it may seem like i'm shitposting here but i'm actually serious and i'm just using shitposting grammar guidelines because the situation is dumber than my shitposting

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Coolguye posted:

no that is a completely separate set of plates for counterfeiting money that the gang never really uses but are willing to risk life and limb for because ??????????????????????????

it may seem like i'm shitposting here but i'm actually serious and i'm just using shitposting grammar guidelines because the situation is dumber than my shitposting

Hey, for some folks the action is the juice. Might as well eat dinner off the plates as much as use them at that point.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

HebrewMagic posted:

As we're drawing fresh blood for the new thread, I re-submit my loose argument for a Campaign-style playthrough of the entire backlog of heists. I'm gonna try to keep on this as more jobs & heistdads/moms are added.
Check it here, pals.
I came across this list somewhere that mostly agrees with yours: http://pastebin.com/ZHdeewyB It has more fanfiction (and more whining about safes and skins).

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Tempest_56 posted:

As a rabid flamethrower user, there is no shame in using ammo bags. That's what they're there for - turning cops into candles.

If you're not using the flamethrower with iron man aced + sprinter aced just running around picking up tons of ammo from all the cops youre bbqing in don't know what to tell you

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

UnknownMercenary posted:

I wonder what you would think of this mod

A bad mod.

Plan Z posted:

Took a group of scrubs on a Sluggator run and they were insisting on being able to use fully modded-out great secondaries when they pleased. Shameful.

That is shameful.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

Insert name here posted:

Reminds me of when Bomb: Dockyard used to have maps of Washington state on the computers rather than Washington DC. :v:

E:

:laffo: I never noticed that, when did they fix it?

Also they probably should have just said State Route 145 for a Payday 1 reference.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Psion posted:

A bad mod.

I counter that with this

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009
I am so sick of Santa roulettes. This is quite possibly my worst one yet:

UnknownMercenary posted:

I counter that with this

:woop:

(I love how they kept the 75% chance for it to work from regular inspire :allears:)

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Lynx posted:

I am so sick of Santa roulettes. This is quite possibly my worst one yet:

Wear it with pride.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

aahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahaha

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Insert name here posted:

Reminds me of when Bomb: Dockyard used to have maps of Washington state on the computers rather than Washington DC. :v:

E:

Perhaps this also explains their use of Costco brand generics in the drug cabinets. Costco's headquartered just outside Seattle. OR PERHAPS IT IS THE SECRET??????? HOLY poo poo

(it probably just came up in a GIS)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.
The pub stove sure was burning hot tonight. One hour or so of playtime, grand total of one heist completed.

Highlights amongst a horrific litany of mistakes, disconnects, being kicked and of course blatant cheaters (all on DW):

- Pubby fires unsilenced gun in stealth run of diamond store.
- Level 33 guy shoots guard then walks up to window on 2nd floor of diamond store, is inevitably seen and triggers alarm.
- Diamond store successfully ECM-rushed, I pick up keycard to disable alarm, pubby breaks alarmed glass before I do.
- Pubby disconnects from call for no apparent reason on bank heist, alarm is triggered.

So much for a relaxing evening of easy cash from the most stealthable heists!