Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Electrophotonic posted:

Though it seems 1.5 removed support for recentering the viewpoint.

You need to rebind your button for it; the name of the control changed from "Recenter Rift" to "Recenter HMD" or something like that. :vive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Sheep posted:

Anyone figure out how to use datapoints? The datalink scanner button does nothing for me.
No clue. I target and scan them, but so far they don't seem to do much.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

What kind of systems sell SCV Hanger Bays? I've been looking around the systems in the local area to me and I can't find one.

Also, stupid question: they just go in the standard misc internal slots, and don't have their own slot like the landing software right? The Vulture can get a SCV hanger, right?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Veotax posted:

What kind of systems sell SCV Hanger Bays? I've been looking around the systems in the local area to me and I can't find one.

Also, stupid question: they just go in the standard misc internal slots, and don't have their own slot like the landing software right? The Vulture can get a SCV hanger, right?

I'm a step ahead already, I found class 4 hangar bays and nothing else. I guess if you only have a Sidewinder you're in for a search. :shepface:

(Lembava)

Also while driving aroung in my new Scarab is a lot of fun, :frontear: gave me the shittiest control bindings possible and I've been trying for half an hour now to unfuck this mess. (For some reason even simple things like switching off the turret are either unbound, or bound to the most awkward controls possible. No game, I don't think it's funny if the two keys controling my sensor screen are on opposite ends of my keyboard. :mad:)

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Is anyone else having trouble controlling the turret? I have it bound to my mouse, but it seems really sluggish and inconsistent. I can't tell if it's just the beta FPS problems or if something's hosed.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Libluini posted:

I'm a step ahead already, I found class 4 hangar bays and nothing else. I guess if you only have a Sidewinder you're in for a search. :shepface:

Wait so to fit an SRV into an Asp, you have to sacrifice the size 5 slot and only have 1x size 6 and the lovely size 2/3 ones available for internals?

Seriously, or is it just random chance loving you over with not finding a size 2-3 hangar bay?

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
The patch notes mentioned:

quote:

For the Beta 2 public test, Beagle 2 Landing in Asellus Primus star system also has all modules and ships available in stock
so if you haven't been back to the bubble in literally a year, you might check there.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

TorakFade posted:

Wait so to fit an SRV into an Asp, you have to sacrifice the size 5 slot and only have 1x size 6 and the lovely size 2/3 ones available for internals?

Seriously, or is it just random chance loving you over with not finding a size 2-3 hangar bay?

There are size 2 hanger bays. It's the only thing I've found so far. Though admittedly I've only looked in one station.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Now I have a dumb question of my own: How do you get back onboard your ship after you leave it in a star port? I've tried locking my ship and following the green arrows on the ground, but they only lead me straight through armored walls. I think I'm now sitting somewhere above my ship, but I'm kind of stumped now.

I guess I could try leaving the star port and calling my ship from the outside, but that sounds like a lame workaround.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Libluini posted:

Now I have a dumb question of my own: How do you get back onboard your ship after you leave it in a star port? I've tried locking my ship and following the green arrows on the ground, but they only lead me straight through armored walls. I think I'm now sitting somewhere above my ship, but I'm kind of stumped now.

I guess I could try leaving the star port and calling my ship from the outside, but that sounds like a lame workaround.

In one of Brabens videos he went into a room underneath the landing pad and used the bottom UI panel to get back in.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Libluini posted:

I had this exact same problem a few minutes ago. There should be a garage built into the structure underneath your landing pad. Drive into there, come to a complete stop and you should have the option to board your ship on the vehicle control panel.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Well, gently caress. Talk about overlooking the obvious. Thanks, I'll try to get back into my ship when I have time to play again. (Tomorrow. :v:)

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
You all look like you're having fun.

Kinda excited now

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

DarthBlingBling posted:

You all look like you're having fun.

Kinda excited now

When I'm back in beta tomorrow, I'll try to see if I can do bombing runs on planets using mine launchers. I wanted to do this today, but welp. Forgot to buy ammunition before starting and now it's too late.

Also my Viper Mk IV has more jump range then my Cobra Mk IV. Fancy that.

(Both fitted partially A-rated, for combat and exploration.)

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Some highlights if anyone is missing out:
Planetary landing, cinematic version
http://www.twitch.tv/zsinjeh/v/27931864?t=53m32s

Heading to assault a minor (High security) base in the Shinrarta Dezra system
http://www.twitch.tv/zsinjeh/v/27931864?t=01h08m03s

Imperial Cutter straining to take off on Charon in Sol
http://www.twitch.tv/zsinjeh/v/27931864?t=02h48m52s

Imperial Cutter AI bonking the ground with the nose on surface return :v:
(skip a minute ahead to watch the huge ship crest over the horizon, something about the mountain makes it look particularly huge)
http://www.twitch.tv/zsinjeh/v/27931864?t=02h54m04s

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

I bought this a while back but my video card couldn't really run it very effectively so I just puttered around for a bit and then stopped playing. Now that I'm coming back I'm not 100% sure I'm going to like it so I don't want to dive in to Horizons right away. Theres nothing besides the skins I'm really going to miss out on by not buying Horizons right now is there?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
So in case anyone else made the same mistake(?) I did and got an XBox One Elite controller thinking that you can actually make use of the back paddles as additional buttons, I have good news for you: I've got a control scheme you're (probably) going to love.

Honestly, the best part of this is the realization that you're not restricted to DPad and Bumpers when using the contextual buttons; despite them not showing on the overlay, they'll still bind properly.

As usual, the downside is that :frontear: doesn't provide a way to modify this stuff properly except through the XML-- trying to bind it in the controller UI will result in a "modifer+button" bind instead of a contexual bind, the difference being the latter will let you hold down ABXY and then hit the followup at your leisure, whereas the former requires you to hit both buttons at the exact same time, and will still occasionally fire off one binding or the other in addition depending on what you have it bound to.

code:
B-cluster: Boost
    Up: ENG
    Left: SYS
    Right: WPN
    Down: RST

LBumper: Previous Fire Group
    RBumper: Next Fire Group

LTrigger: Shield Cell
    RTrigger: Heat Sink

LStick: Chaff
    RStick: Deploy Hardpoints

A-Cluster: Highest Threat
    Up: Next Subsystem
    Down: Previous Subsystem
    Left: Hostile Target Prev
    Right: Hostile Target Next

LBumper: Target Under Cursor
    RBumper: Next Target

Back: Next System

X-Cluster: UI Focus
    Up: Social
    Left: Contacts
    Right: Status
    Down: Sensors

LBumper: 0% Throttle
    RBumper: 75% Throttle

LTrigger: -100% Throttle
    RTrigger: 100% Throttle

LStick: Landing Gear
    RStick: Cargo Scoop

Back: Debug Camera

Y-Cluster: Supercruise
    Up: Supercruise
    Down: FSD
    Left: Galaxy Map
    Right: System Map

LBumper: Silent Running
    RBumper: FA Off

D-Pad: Forward/Backward/Lateral Thrust
Left Stick: Pitch/Yaw
Right Stick: Vertical Thrust/Roll

Buttom L Paddle: DPad Left
Bottom R Paddle: DPad Right
Top R Paddle: RStick
Top L Paddle: B
Note that this also moves "headlook yaw" to the left stick, so you can pitch and roll while still using the right stick to headlook up and down.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Zsinjeh posted:

Imperial Cutter AI bonking the ground with the nose on surface return :v:
(skip a minute ahead to watch the huge ship crest over the horizon, something about the mountain makes it look particularly huge)
http://www.twitch.tv/zsinjeh/v/27931864?t=02h54m04s

:holyfuck:

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Vahalla posted:

Robigo won't be "nerfed" until 1.5 goes live, I believe, which has not happened yet. Even then as mentioned recently, it's not a straight nerf but rather a change, much higher risk with higher? reward. I'm currently turning in 40m~ in Robigo missions.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3740324&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post452957066

This is my experience from the test server about robigo. More reward, much higher risk.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Veotax posted:

Beagle 2 Landing in Asellus Primus has literally everything for sale for the duration of the beta. A little closer to home, Watts Installation in 63 G. carries them as well.

And yes, they go in standard internal slots. They come in sizes 2, 4 and 6 that I've seen, grades G and H. Larger sizes can carry more SRVs (1, 2, or 4), and the only difference in grades just seems to be weight. Literally every ship in the game is capable of carrying at least one SRV.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Having seen screenshots of the Cobra IV's setup, its not a bad ship I guess. But I can't get excited over it. Its just too slow compared to the original (200/300 speed/boost vs the Mk3's 280/400). I'd have gladly traded one of those extra class 4s and maybe one of the class 3s to retain the Mk 3 Cobra's speed. I could live with the lesser maneuverability, but I gotta go fast.

Guess I always saw the Cobra as a space hot-rod.

The cobra mk4 is going to be amazing for planetary exploration I think. With the ok jump range, large number of internal slots, and most importantly small size, it will be ideal. The problem with a big ship is it can be very very hard to find anywhere to land on a planet that isn't nice and smooth. I spent 20 minutes trying to find somewhere to land on one moon in an anaconda, and the spot I finally found had like a 1 meter clearance.

Also, I took a space ship and landed on an alien world, left my ship in a buggy, drove to a scenic peak, using my rift got out of my buggy and walked around on the surface of an alien world, watching a sunset. Game of the year.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Literally Kermit posted:

100% Metal indeed. Thanks man, hope you liked the payoff!

If you are feeling frisky, there's the bright O-star in the middle of the Spirograph Nebula. But everything and I mean EVERYTHING in that system is bright beautiful blue.

Oh here it is!

Landable and blue and RINGS.

Pro-click: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vhf_iA4kHN8

Quoting self because if this video wasn't made by a goon, it is one hell of a loving coincidence - this has to be that planet from this system.

It's exactly how I imagined it :swoon:

Literally Kermit fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Dec 1, 2015

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

For gently caress Sake. It took me 2 spergy days to reach Goonland from the border of the galaxy where I was and Horizon kicked me back :argh:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Tom Guycot posted:

Also, I took a space ship and landed on an alien world, left my ship in a buggy, drove to a scenic peak, using my rift got out of my buggy and walked around on the surface of an alien world, watching a sunset. Game of the year.

Can you explain what you meant by "getting out" of the buggy? Do you have some sort of head tracker?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

froody guy posted:

For gently caress Sake. It took me 2 spergy days to reach Goonland from the border of the galaxy where I was and Horizon kicked me back :argh:

Beta progress doesn't matter, just self destruct/fling yourself into the nearest star.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Can you explain what you meant by "getting out" of the buggy? Do you have some sort of head tracker?

Yes.

With the Oculus Rift, early on, people were able to get up and move around their desk area, simulating getting up and moving around the cockpit.

He's done the same thing but from a buggy instead.

I wish I had a VR headset. :negative:

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Helter Skelter posted:

Beta progress doesn't matter, just self destruct/fling yourself into the nearest star.

That's a good advice. How about landing on a water world? :v:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

LCL-Dead posted:

With the Oculus Rift, early on, people were able to get up and move around their desk area, simulating getting up and moving around the cockpit.

He's done the same thing but from a buggy instead.

I wish I had a VR headset. :negative:

Well poo poo, now I need to get one too!

...but my poor credit card has taken such a beating already :negative:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Hey folks, looking to get into this game come the holidays(and hopefully bring some friends along with me) but I'm a little confused about the Horizons things. If we pick the base game up during a sale or whatever, we''ll still be able to play without the expansion, right? From what I can tell, we'll just be locked out from any of the surface and future content unless we get it, but I'm not 100% on that. They're not just making Horizons the de facto product from here on out, effectively making new players pay the full $60 if they want to get into Elite, are they?

Mordja fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Dec 1, 2015

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Finally they fixed system view after they borked it with the release of Powerplay. With that blue halo kind of mark for airless rocks too. I'm impressed.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
Does the gravity of a planet change? - we need an ultra low-g world to fly some buggies

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Mordja posted:

Hey folks, looking to get into this game come the holidays(and hopefully bring some friends along with me) but I'm a little confused about the Horizons things. If we pick the base game up during a sale or whatever, we''ll still be able to play without the expansion, right? From what I can tell, we'll just be locked out from any of the surface and future content unless we get it, but I'm not 100% on that. They're not just making Horizons the de facto product from here on out, effectively making new players pay the full $60 if they want to get into Elite, are they?

Horizons is the full game including space and ground stuff but if you own just Horizons you cannot play until the release of Horizons. It costs full game price.

E:D is the full game not including ground stuff when Horizons launches BUT owning E:D gets you a $15 discount on Horizons if you preorder and is supposed to remain available for a little while after Horizons launches.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Nation posted:

Does the gravity of a planet change? - we need an ultra low-g world to fly some buggies
They went to huge pains make the their planets plausible, from basing their composition on the different basic elements found where they're created, all the way to simulating tectonic movements and meteor impacts caused by other nearby bodies, but they just couldn't figure out how to make the gravity of each one different.

"It's too hard" -- Braben.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

tooterfish posted:

They went to huge pains make the their planets plausible, from basing their composition on the different basic elements found where they're created, all the way to simulating tectonic movements and meteor impacts caused by other nearby bodies, but they just couldn't figure out how to make the gravity of each one different.

"It's too hard" -- Braben.

To be fair, 90% of that is "text in a box", whereas gravity fucks with the underlying flight model that is the entirety of the game.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
I tried both flying and driving on planets ranging from 0.05 and 1.8 Earth's gravity: you do feel the difference.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

It's not really just text in a box, that's really playing down what they're doing. They don't just render a random height map, pick a random colour and then call it a day. The composition, tectonics and all that other stuff directly correlate to the planet's surface generation.

As an example, a planet close to a star/gas giant will have huge rifts and canyons formed by tectonic activity, but probably won't have many large impact craters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Et5Ivi_yIg

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Thanks for the advice but I'm more an amateur (even though I do build my PC's) and don't overclock. :shrug:

Yeah, just recommending you do it because I've been building these things since 1994 and _still_ got blindsided by 'Display driver has stopped working' messages that were actually down to dirty reads in RAM rather than the thing that was complaining. RMA'd a couple of video cards before _actually_ testing.

I'm saying don't be me. The test is a free download and you can run it from a bootable CD/USB stick, and it strikes out a possible issue.

There are a couple of display card stress testers and memory testers that can do a low level hardware check on the graphics card as well, and you might want to check that you have all the motherboard drivers rather than anything generically windows.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Doing the KUI 11 bounty trick and it's a money printing machine. Does anyone know where I can pick up class 5 internals nearby? I've checked ed-te and a couple of the other orbitals but can't find anything better than C/B.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

To be fair, 90% of that is "text in a box", whereas gravity fucks with the underlying flight model that is the entirety of the game.

I'm really sure Braben himself said that Gravity was modeled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Bushiz posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3740324&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post452957066

This is my experience from the test server about robigo. More reward, much higher risk.

Are there still courier missions? I love taking a message 350 light years in 15 minutes for a pretty decent reward.

• Locked thread