Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

TheDisreputableDog posted:

So we completely ban automatic weapons like France and... wait-

what's your solution

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Bonus quote of the morning, "Every time Dick cast a vote, we won." ~ George W. Bush

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

TheQat posted:

what's your solution

What should have been done a century ago: An end to Benelux independence.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

The US has roughly five times the population of France, and has had ~350 mass shootings so far this year. Assuming it's proportional France would have had ~70.

Considering that I'm sure you can easily list 15 mass shootings in France this year?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

Bonus quote of the morning, "Every time Dick cast a vote, we won." ~ George W. Bush

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Joementum posted:

I believe LBJ was quoted as saying something remarkably similar to this.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

And then we don't have the gun death toll from the Paris attacks every week?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Joementum posted:

"Mission Accomplished" - George W. Bush.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

So a measure working only 90% isn't worth it? The only alternative to a perfect solution is giving up?

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

So, a friend of mine (who is a panicky, credulous millennial who believes everything he reads on the internet) just posted this poo poo on facebook. I don't even know where to start with him. Every time I debunk some stupid poo poo he posts he's like, "Oh, thanks. It's good to have other perspectives but I guess we'll never know". I am loving sick to death of educating people.

Berdoo shooters "confirmed" as Islamic Terrorist sleepers

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Why is it so easy for bad guys to get guns?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Taeke posted:

So a measure working only 90% isn't worth it? The only alternative to a perfect solution is giving up?

His point is more that a total full auto ban would be going after the guns that are absolutely the least often used in US crime. Legally bought automatic weapons have been used something like twice in the past fifty years, one of which was an angry cop using a service weapon.

Now if you wanna ban handguns, that makes more sense.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

So, a friend of mine (who is a panicky, credulous millennial who believes everything he reads on the internet) just posted this poo poo on facebook. I don't even know where to start with him. Every time I debunk some stupid poo poo he posts he's like, "Oh, thanks. It's good to have other perspectives but I guess we'll never know". I am loving sick to death of educating people.

The Sleeper has awakened?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

McDowell posted:

What if Ahmed Lanza had done Sandy Hook, and not Adam?

Supermegaultraterrorism.

Nippled America? :confused:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 3, 2015

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Gravel Gravy posted:

The Sleeper has awakened?

I guess? Who knows? He must have found that poo poo on Reddit or something.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

TheQat posted:

what's your solution

Yeah, I'm interested in this too. And if your solution includes the phrase "mental health", I'd appreciate you expounding upon how we would affect that.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

"These are the shooters! Muslims!"

immediately below the image of the vehicle and the bodies

"Win an AR-15!"

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

"These are the shooters! Muslims!"

immediately below the image of the vehicle and the bodies

"Win an AR-15!"

To defend yourself against the Muslim hordes, obviously.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Taeke posted:

If it was a real terror cell, then banning guns would be about 0% effective at preventing future similar attacks.

Doing so would probably cut down on crimes of passion and lone crazies, but until we know what the root cause was, tying the issue directly to gun control is spurious. Which of course didn't stop "JV team" Obama from opining, of course.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

If it was a real terror cell, then banning guns would be about 0% effective at preventing future similar attacks.

Doing so would probably cut down on crimes of passion and lone crazies, but until we know what the root cause was, tying the issue directly to gun control is spurious. Which of course didn't stop "JV team" Obama from opining, of course.

America needs a "no-gun" list. Obama could implement it with his war powers, just as FDR could intern Japanese under his war powers.

Its about time America interns guns.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Most prospective terrorists are caught in the process of procuring resources for their attack. Make it harder for them to get guns, and more of them will be caught trying to procure them illegally.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Cutting down on crimes of passion and Lone crazies sounds good. Let's do that.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

zoux posted:

I don't know why the Republicans think that an America in which you have to go around armed in order to protect yourself from random violence is a society worth living in. If that's America, it's terrible.

I guess that's just the price you pay for a pseudo-autistic level of fixation and inseparability with guns. :shrug:

...Err, sorry if that's offensive, maybe Stockholm Syndrome instead? Either way, it's most definitely a mass national psychosis.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Dec 3, 2015

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

In other cheerful news, here's an article on the CIA's continued shadow war in Afghanistan

quote:

TOR GHAR, AFGHANISTAN — Months after the Obama administration declared combat operations over in Afghanistan, the CIA continues to run a shadow war in the eastern part of the country, overseeing an Afghan proxy called the Khost Protection Force, according to local officials, former commanders of that militia and Western advisers.

The highly secretive paramilitary unit has been implicated in civilian killings, torture, questionable detentions, arbitrary arrests and use of excessive force in controversial night raids, abuses that have mostly not been previously disclosed.

The elite Afghan fighters and their American handlers came to Tor Ghar one night in September. Shortly after midnight, wearing tan camouflage and black masks, they entered a village in this remote mountainous area straddling the Pakistan border in search of militants with a Taliban-allied group, said local officials and tribal elders who later spoke with the force’s commanders.

Within minutes, the armed men had arrived at Darwar Khan’s house.

“When my father opened the gate, they shot him dead,” recalled Khan, who was inside the house at the time. “Then, they tossed a grenade into the compound, killing my mother.”

His father was a farmer. His mother was a housewife. It was not the first time the fighters had killed civilians in this strategic region. And it wouldn’t be the last allegation of wrongdoing.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...omepage%2Fstory

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

greatn posted:

Cutting down on crimes of passion and Lone crazies sounds good. Let's do that.

Yeah but it'd only cut down on 90%+ of incidents though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Texas rep who wanted to make all Muslims recite an oath of allegiance to America before they could visit her in her office last yearhas weighed in.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

mlmp08 posted:

His point is more that a total full auto ban would be going after the guns that are absolutely the least often used in US crime. Legally bought automatic weapons have been used something like twice in the past fifty years, one of which was an angry cop using a service weapon.

I read it as a full ban on automatic weapons... Which is like almost all of them used in this type of attack. The distinction between automatic (self ejecting and rechambering) and full auto (machine gun) gets muddied and confused. Really need another term for it I guess.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Not the last time trump will mark citizens with ink.

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

I don't want a nation just for me, I want a nation for everyone

mlmp08 posted:

You're right, the ban on fully-automatic weapons has nothing to do with automatic weapons being the least used gun.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

My Imaginary GF posted:

America needs a "no-gun" list. Obama could implement it with his war powers, just as FDR could intern Japanese under his war powers.

today is the day i'm grateful i don't use my ignore list, because MIGF has finally made a correct post :eyepop:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Radbot posted:

Their firearm skills are off the charts, it's the lack of PER and AGL that's gonna be dangerous.

INT is the dump stat. They're gunning for the Idiot Savant perk early.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I guess that's just the price you pay for a pseudo-autistic level of fixation and inseparability with guns. :shrug:

...Err, sorry if that's offensive, maybe Stockholm Syndrome instead? Either way, it's most definitely a mass national psychosis.

These people literally believe that an exchange of freedom for safety is unacceptable, lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

sparatuvs posted:

Not the last time trump will mark citizens with ink.

:vince:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Urgh

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

My Imaginary GF posted:

Is there a term for someone who goes so far right that they come out on the left?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Raerlynn posted:

Is there a term for someone who goes so far right that they come out on the left?

Horseshoe theory.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

If the guy was radicalized you'd think he would pick a better target than Jill from HR.

Although I suppose it depends on your opinion of HR.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
For me at this point it doesn't even seem to matter what the motive is. The means and the end result is always the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Maybe that's just a coincidence and he got a bad year end review.

• Locked thread