Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

fishmech posted:

Seems like rights get abridged pretty often, and it works

What are the Dakotas doing right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Can't repost since I'm at work right now, but apparently George Zimmerman tweeted a naked picture and phone number of an ex girlfriend who he claims cheated on him with "a dirty muslim."

What a classy guy.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

fishmech posted:

What's Minnesota and Iowa doing? Do corn fields, the Vikings, and frozen hell winters deter gun violence?

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

TheDisreputableDog posted:

He flubbed Syria to the point where ISIS was able to self organize and roll back into Iraq.

To blame Obama for ISIS coming into power in the Middle East is to so grossly misunderstand the Middle East, that you end up supporting the very same policies that led to ISIS coming to power in the Middle East in the first place.

I think it helps to explain things in terms that make more sense at home:

Imagine if every time someone in Alabama committed a murder of someone in Georgia, Georgia invaded Alabama and killed the governor. Different groups of Alabamians see there's no one in power so you get, let's say, three major groups deciding they're going to create a new Alabama. You've got the Crimson Caliphate based out of Tuscaloosa who want to replace the flag with a 15 star flag and give governing power to the coaching staff of Nick Saban; you've got the people of Opelika who vigorously disagree that the flag deserves to have 15 stars, maaaayyybbeee 10 but certainly not 15 and don't want Saban near power because he'll force Auburn to vacate their 2010 championship. Finally you have the Chickasaw who decide now is the time to act and make a state that is for and by Native Americans to create reparations for the crimes committed against them by the invading forces over a century ago.

Now on top of all of that, the Georgians have been propping up their own government of Georgians, who demand that Alabamians start playing football the Georgia way which leads to resentment amongst most Alabamians, but especially the Opelika faction because Georgia has propped up Saban's caliphate as the proper governor and also Georgia burned down Oobie's Og Ouse on the way to Montgomery to depose the old governor.

poo poo would get out of hand pretty got dam quickly and there'd be no clear solution because no side can win without major feelings of resentment driving the losers.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

fishmech posted:

So at will surveillance across the board should be no problem either then? Since finding out about plans is a much more effective way of stopping jihad than, say, banning guns and waiting for the hundreds of millions in circulation today to stop working.

It's just an abridged right, not even explicitly stated, so nbd

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

cravius posted:

haha what the gently caress is this

You may have noticed, literally in the quoted post, an implication that judeo-christian values prevent genocide / ethnic cleansing.

AWIJ's response is what we call a rebuttal.

So at will surveillance across the board should be no problem either then? Since finding out about plans is a much more effective way of stopping jihad than, say, banning guns and waiting for the hundreds of millions in circulation today to stop working.

I'm on board with giving Barack Obama universal surveillance rights of political undesirables if you are.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

JT Jag posted:

Having barely any people.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

cravius posted:

haha what the gently caress is this

The holocaust and the US's treatment of native americans? :confused:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

pathetic little tramp posted:

To blame Obama for ISIS coming into power in the Middle East is to so grossly misunderstand the Middle East, that you end up supporting the very same policies that led to ISIS coming to power in the Middle East in the first place.

I think it helps to explain things in terms that make more sense at home:

Imagine if every time someone in Alabama committed a murder of someone in Georgia, Georgia invaded Alabama and killed the governor. Different groups of Alabamians see there's no one in power so you get, let's say, three major groups deciding they're going to create a new Alabama. You've got the Crimson Caliphate based out of Tuscaloosa who want to replace the flag with a 15 star flag and give governing power to the coaching staff of Nick Saban; you've got the people of Opelika who vigorously disagree that the flag deserves to have 15 stars, maaaayyybbeee 10 but certainly not 15 and don't want Saban near power because he'll force Auburn to vacate their 2010 championship. Finally you have the Chickasaw who decide now is the time to act and make a state that is for and by Native Americans to create reparations for the crimes committed against them by the invading forces over a century ago.

Now on top of all of that, the Georgians have been propping up their own government of Georgians, who demand that Alabamians start playing football the Georgia way which leads to resentment amongst most Alabamians, but especially the Opelika faction because Georgia has propped up Saban's caliphate as the proper governor and also Georgia burned down Oobie's Og Ouse on the way to Montgomery to depose the old governor.

poo poo would get out of hand pretty got dam quickly and there'd be no clear solution because no side can win without major feelings of resentment driving the losers.
Alabama Akbar!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Joementum posted:

We now move on to the Johnson (R-WI) amendment, which would magically re-create any healthcare plan that expired in 2013 due to Obamacare.

The amendment is not agreed to 56-46.

We now move on to the Brown (D-OH) amendment, which would permanently federally fund the medicaid expansion at 100%.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Joementum posted:

We now move on to the Brown (D-OH) amendment, which would permanently federally fund the medicaid expansion at 100%.

<3 Great Senator or Greatest Senator?

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

zoux posted:

Having barely any people.

Then what the hell is wrong with Wyoming?

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

Where did Reid's troll amendment go?!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

DemeaninDemon posted:

Where did Reid's troll amendment go?!

It'll be coming later. They'll be doing this all night.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Have you been to Wyoming? Only thing to do in that hellscape is shoot stuff and drink.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Dick Cheney is skewing the data.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

pathetic little tramp posted:

Different groups of Alabamians see there's no one in power so you get, let's say, three major groups deciding they're going to create a new Alabama. You've got the Crimson Caliphate based out of Tuscaloosa who want to replace the flag with a 15 star flag and give governing power to the coaching staff of Nick Saban; you've got the people of Opelika who vigorously disagree that the flag deserves to have 15 stars, maaaayyybbeee 10 but certainly not 15 and don't want Saban near power because he'll force Auburn to vacate their 2010 championship. Finally you have the Chickasaw who decide now is the time to act and make a state that is for and by Native Americans to create reparations for the crimes committed against them by the invading forces over a century ago.

Uh nice try, I've played the PS1 Final Fantasy Tactics.

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010

zoux posted:

Dick Cheney is skewing the data.

:drat:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

JT Jag posted:

DemeaninDemon posted:

What's Minnesota and Iowa doing? Do corn fields, the Vikings, and frozen hell winters deter gun violence?

These are gun deaths from all causes, from outright crime to accidents to someone offing themselves. The chart also doesn't keep track of say, average amount of guns per household that does have guns, so it could be that a lot of the folks in the Dakotas especially have a single old gun out on the farm in case of need versus piling up guns in a suburban house and then someone gets careless. There's also probably a correlation in there that a lot of the states with abnormally low gun deaths per population for the amount of guns own have a lower proportion of handguns in private ownership.

Incidentally, if you plotted Australia as a whole on this, their dot would be at about 12% of households with guns, and their rate at 0.86 out of 100,000 (mostly suicides, at this point). And they, of course, crack down hard on handguns while it being really quite easy to have a regular shotgun or huntin' rifle.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 3, 2015

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

My Imaginary GF posted:

You don't have to be a muslim, you know. If you don't like what others are doing in the name of your religion, change your religion like all the ex-mormon and ex-baptists in America.

Leaving a religious organization or denomination isn't the same as leaving a religion. I know you're thick on purpose but come on, it's not like people leaving their Baptist churches suddenly aren't Christians.

edit: even though other Baptists may say so.

Vienna Circlejerk fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Dec 3, 2015

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

drat the germaineness, someone should submit an amendment banning terrorists from owning American guns.

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

Leaving a religious organization or denomination isn't the same as leaving a religion. I know you're thick on purpose but come on, it's not like people leaving their Baptist churches suddenly aren't Christians.

I think the majority of baptists would disagree with you on that one.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Joementum posted:

The bill repeals Obamacare (and funding for Planned Parenthood), so no amendment needed for that! :v:

But, yes, this is all theater, since the thing's going to be vetoed immediately.

I am glad this is what they spend their time doing.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Well, when only 10 people live there, 7 of them own guns and 2 died you have to do some extrapolating :v:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

JT Jag posted:

A lot of folk have guns for deer hunting and stuff out there, it's not a gun you'd use in a drug war.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

DemeaninDemon posted:

Minnesota? Low suicide rate. Gun deaths include suicide. It's part of why Wyoming and Alaska, not exactly murder hotbeds, are way up there.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

What in the gently caress do you think the NSA has been doing in the last decade?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

McDowell posted:

Militant secularism must be domestic as well. Creationism, antivax, and other relativist 'opinions' have no place in the future.

Please explain how you'd implement "militant secularism", tia

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

You know most people killed by guns are not killed by "radical islamists," yeah? I mean I know this is apparently a difficult concept, at best, for you to grasp, but notion that the second amendment gives gun owners complete immunity against regulation is laughable both in a strict and contextual reading.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

A Winner is Jew posted:

The holocaust and the US's treatment of native americans? :confused:

Yes the Holocaust is a classic example of behavior motivated by judeo-christian values.

Lugnut Seatcushion fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 3, 2015

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

cravius posted:

Yes the Nazi regime is a classic example of behavior motivated by judeo-christian values.

You're not wrong.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

You know most people killed by guns are not killed by "radical islamists," yeah? I mean I know this is apparently a difficult concept, at best, for you to grasp, but notion that the second amendment gives gun owners complete immunity against regulation is laughable both in a strict and contextual reading.

Most Yazidis killed by guns are killed by "radical islamists." Despite what mainstream islamists may believe, Yazidis are people, BI NOW GAY LATER.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

mlmp08 posted:

Minnesota? Low suicide rate.

Which, having lived there, amazes me.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Joementum posted:

The motion to waive is not agreed to 45-55, the amendment falls.

We now move to the Collins (with Murkowski and Kirk) amendment to restore funding to Planned Parenthood.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Joementum posted:

The motion to waive is not agreed to 45-55, the amendment falls.

We now move to the Collins (with Murkowski and Kirk) amendment to restore funding to Planned Parenthood.

Is Lisa not running again?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Pick posted:

Which, having lived there, amazes me.

death from alcohol doesn't count as suicide

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Joementum posted:

My god that would be amazing. Please. Though of course it has (had?) no chance

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Raerlynn posted:

What in the gently caress do you think the NSA has been doing in the last decade?

(Badly and unreliably) restricted universal surveillance. :colbert:

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

If I was one of your friends/co-workers, I'd be really loving pissed at Syed Farook for giving the ignorant co-workers validity to their muslim boogeyman.

Also, by extension, Farook's family. This wasn't a loner living in a shack out in a remote location, it was a couple apparently building explosives in their god drat apartment. With a child! It was his brother or father who said yesterday something along the lines "I'm in shock, I don't know how he could have done this, he was quiet and went to work and then to pray"...if you're so goddamned sure how he led his life then how the gently caress did you not noticed slightest change in him or his partner?

That last part is just me pissed about those reactions from the family of shooting suspects, which are personally as stupid as the people recycling their usual thoughts and prayers.

Have you ever had a family member become moody for a while, or deal with depression, or even just say they were having a tough time? Would you be surprised if they then started murdering people?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

cravius posted:

Yes the Nazi regime is a classic example of behavior motivated by judeo-christian values.

Whats more judeo-christian than wiping out an entire people? Just ask the Canaanites or Sodom. Or hell, the whole earth minus Moses. Or we could keep it low key and just kill off the firstborn like in Egypt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

My Imaginary GF posted:

Genocide is a very profitable business model. Kill an entire ethnicity and seize their assets without reprocussion? Why not, if you aren't guided by judeo-christian values?
So I guess the entire United States was founded by Muslims, then? Cuz that's pretty much how this country came into being in a nutshell.

• Locked thread