Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012

Dr Monkeysee posted:

I feel like they were shooting for more of an epic hero approach in the latter two seasons. Spartacus has transcended his lowly gladiator status and become the myth of history we all know.

I found the bigger problem was they didn't ever really figure out how to approach the ultimate resolution of the slave revolt in a coherent way. You spend 3 seasons watching these characters get smarter and stronger and more clever in dealing with Rome, but it all still has to end with everyone dying and losing to the bad guys and the show kinda just went "welp" when they got there. So the whole series ends on this unsatisfying downer.

edit: also a want a whole show about the 3rd season's Caesar. He's so often depicted as this grand statesmen but the half-cocked rogue Spartacus went for would be right at home negotiating his own ransom with Coriscan pirates.

Yeah they really rubbed it in that EVERYONE that believed in or followed Spartacus got annihilated, but it's also stressed that their revolt ultimately led to the breakdown of the Republic (their ultimate goal) so I guess it is hopeful in a way.

Caesar's characterization was great, I also really appreciate how Crassus was portrayed. However, I felt the climax of the series and Spartacus' personal retribution was the defeat of Glaber so in a way there was this overlying sense that the entire final season was just an epilogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Watched both seasons of Red Road, was an interesting show, pretty dark, enjoyed it a lot. Then I broke down and watched Jessica Jones. It was p okay I guess but outside of being super duper anti rape culture/patriarchy it's a character I never knew much about, and I can only handle so many grizzled comic book P.I.s. Luke Cage gonna be rad though.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Instead of talking about Back To The Future Time Travel Theories, can we talk about Darkman going up on Netflix and how much Darkman owns? Because Darkman owns, and I'd bet money it's the reason Sam Raimi directed the Spider-Man films.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbdeAhpIPhE

Darkman is so great. I know a lot of people wish Bruce Campbell could have gotten the lead role but Liam Neeson channeling Nic Cage levels of craziness is just wonderful.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

coyo7e posted:

Watched both seasons of Red Road, was an interesting show, pretty dark, enjoyed it a lot. Then I broke down and watched Jessica Jones. It was p okay I guess but outside of being super duper anti rape culture/patriarchy it's a character I never knew much about, and I can only handle so many grizzled comic book P.I.s. Luke Cage gonna be rad though.

Seconding Red Road.

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Dec 5, 2015

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

speshl guy posted:

However, I felt the climax of the series and Spartacus' personal retribution was the defeat of Glaber so in a way there was this overlying sense that the entire final season was just an epilogue.

Yeah that's true. Up until then Spartacus's revolt was driven largely by vendetta and thus very personal. I think they did a good job depicting how the revolt had escalated to the point that Rome had to get serious but season 3 was definitely "Our Heros vs The Mechanistic Apparatus of State". Crassus et. al. were just doing their jobs and didn't give a poo poo who Spartacus was or why he was doing anything.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

coyo7e posted:

I broke down and watched Jessica Jones. It was p okay I guess but outside of being super duper anti rape culture/patriarchy it's a character I never knew much about, and I can only handle so many grizzled comic book P.I.s. Luke Cage gonna be rad though.

Yeah Jessica Jones is just kinda OK. Jessica herself is portrayed as your standard grizzled PI, the rest of the supporting characters are all kind of lackluster, and the vilian is more annoying than menacing, which I think may be a problem with casting or something. The show stretches a lot to try and be shocking with regards to violence but it comes off really forced. Superpowers are treated as deus ex machinas far too often.

Contrast that with Daredevil where you had a lot of well worn tropes, but they all seemed to mesh better. The vilian is slightly unusual, there's a lot more plot progression, not as many spin off side stories, etc.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Dr Monkeysee posted:

Yeah that's true. Up until then Spartacus's revolt was driven largely by vendetta and thus very personal. I think they did a good job depicting how the revolt had escalated to the point that Rome had to get serious but season 3 was definitely "Our Heros vs The Mechanistic Apparatus of State". Crassus et. al. were just doing their jobs and didn't give a poo poo who Spartacus was or why he was doing anything.

Crassus and Caesar were p cool villains though.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

LogisticEarth posted:

Yeah Jessica Jones is just kinda OK. Jessica herself is portrayed as your standard grizzled PI, the rest of the supporting characters are all kind of lackluster, and the vilian is more annoying than menacing, which I think may be a problem with casting or something. The show stretches a lot to try and be shocking with regards to violence but it comes off really forced. Superpowers are treated as deus ex machinas far too often.

Contrast that with Daredevil where you had a lot of well worn tropes, but they all seemed to mesh better. The vilian is slightly unusual, there's a lot more plot progression, not as many spin off side stories, etc.

I'm still a few episodes from the finale so I'll hold off on any opinions about the series as a whole, but David Tenant is the best part of this show by leaps and bounds. He's just the right mix of menacing and disarming. He's never on camera with another character that I don't sit up a little bit, expecting something horrible to happen. He's a huge improvement over the typical MCU villain that's just The Hero, But Evil.

I don't think he's quite up to D'Onofrio's Kingpin, but he's really, really good.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Sarchasm posted:

I'm still a few episodes from the finale so I'll hold off on any opinions about the series as a whole, but David Tenant is the best part of this show by leaps and bounds. He's just the right mix of menacing and disarming. He's never on camera with another character that I don't sit up a little bit, expecting something horrible to happen. He's a huge improvement over the typical MCU villain that's just The Hero, But Evil.

I don't think he's quite up to D'Onofrio's Kingpin, but he's really, really good.
I've heard a LOT about how good David Tenant's character is and I think a lot of it is either from women who are more able to identify with him being a potential threat, or possibly from folks who watch Dr. Who and were enamored of him on there enough that they are unsettled by him taking a darker role.. He doesn't hit me nearly as hard as, say, Moriarty in the new Holmes show with cumberbatch for instance, and Donofrio's Kingpin is utterly terrifying in a strange way - it feels like he was a fat bully with anger management problems as a child, and he has just gotten better at making it suit his needs.

There is a scene late in the season of JJ where she and Kilgrave are talking, and he mentions a moment in time where she'd actually been happy "for 16 seconds, you forgot to hate me" or something like that. It was a pretty good characterization of how sinister and self-deceiving he is, but the whole "I'm gonna make everybody kill themselves if I don't get my way!" angle wears thin pretty quickly, and I'm not really sure what other interesting character arcs Jessica Jones is involved in after she takes out Kilgrave (because let's be fair, Kilgrave was a throwaway villain and Tenant's got other things to do).

Wasn't JJ the woman who Luke Cage butt-hosed and they depicted her talking about not wanting to but going for it anyway and :canofworms: ?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Jessica Jones would be a lot better if they trimmed it down to six or eight episodes and eliminated the sci-fi half of the cop's plot + the awful upstairs neighbors. The stuff with Kilgrave is interesting but gets repetitive.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

morestuff posted:

Jessica Jones would be a lot better if they trimmed it down to six or eight episodes and eliminated the sci-fi half of the cop's plot + the awful upstairs neighbors. The stuff with Kilgrave is interesting but gets repetitive.

I actually thought the pre-sci-fi half of the cop's plot was way worse. bad character all around.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

speshl guy posted:

Doc and Marty are cursed to forever be drawn toward each other and travel through time in every possible alternate reality. In the span of one night on October 26, 1985, every possible Marty traveled to another timeline at once, and infinite iterations of Lorraine and George were greeted the next morning by a changeling Marty: a strange boy they had never known but identical to their son in every way.

Marty wakes up initially surprised at the state of affairs in the family and community, but quickly reconciles with his fate and, without remorse, assumes the role of a boy who will never return.

speshl guy posted:

I suggest checking out Source Code

This is now making me :aaa: because Source Code does the same thing. You have this school teacher who after Jake Gyllenhaal's helicopter pilot takes over his consciousness suddenly stops a terrorist attack, gets the girls, and rides off into the sunset. But he doesn't know anything about this school teacher's life, and to everyone around him he's suddenly a badass. Like he can't just show up at an army base and say he's a pilot, and he's probably not too hot at teaching social studies. So what does he do like a week after the movie ends?

Seconding that a 'side effects of time travel' movie/documentary would be fascinating.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

morestuff posted:

The funny thing is that Netflix's contract with Marvel was for four 12-episode seasons and a miniseries, so they didn't really have a choice. Even without traditional networks shows are still getting hosed up by the higher-ups dictating things.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
That length is fine if you come up with interesting stuff to fill it, and "superhero PI" and "superhero lawyer" shouldn't be that hard to do good self-contained episodes or plot threads with. Neither quite pull it off, though.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

morestuff posted:

That length is fine if you come up with interesting stuff to fill it, and "superhero PI" and "superhero lawyer" shouldn't be that hard to do good self-contained episodes or plot threads with. Neither quite pull it off, though.

i said it before but the big obvious problem with Jessica Jones as a show is that it rushes straight into the Purple Man stuff and drags it out over the whole season instead of giving us at least one or two episodes of her doing P.I. poo poo and letting us learn a bit about her as a character apart from the Purple Man first.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i said it before but the big obvious problem with Jessica Jones as a show is that it rushes straight into the Purple Man stuff and drags it out over the whole season instead of giving us at least one or two episodes of her doing P.I. poo poo and letting us learn a bit about her as a character apart from the Purple Man first.

If they did that people would complain about them wasting time on episodic plots that don't connect to anything.

And honestly I'm not that pumped for a straightforward "superhero PI" show anyway, I like the personal angle. It's a pretty character driven show though there are some parts I don't like (that loving crazy twin sister.)

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

If they did that people would complain about them wasting time on episodic plots that don't connect to anything.

Yeah but those people would be wrong and I'd be right

Seriously though complaining about a tv show having "episodic plots" is hilarious

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yeah but those people would be wrong and I'd be right

Seriously though complaining about a tv show having "episodic plots" is hilarious

Yeah isn't the whole appeal of tv that you can take time to explore characters and events you wouldn't be able to explore in a film?

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012

red19fire posted:

This is now making me :aaa: because Source Code does the same thing. You have this school teacher who after Jake Gyllenhaal's helicopter pilot takes over his consciousness suddenly stops a terrorist attack, gets the girls, and rides off into the sunset. But he doesn't know anything about this school teacher's life, and to everyone around him he's suddenly a badass. Like he can't just show up at an army base and say he's a pilot, and he's probably not too hot at teaching social studies. So what does he do like a week after the movie ends?

Seconding that a 'side effects of time travel' movie/documentary would be fascinating.

yeah, but also the implication from the ending was that every time they loaded up the program to send Jake Gyllenhaal into that dude's memory, they copied and pasted a new universe into existence, each of which also had their own shady government source code organization within it making new universes ad infinitum.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dark was the Night was a passable monster flick but goddamn what a disappointing looking monster.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

NESguerilla posted:

Dark was the Night was a passable monster flick but goddamn what a disappointing looking monster.

I bet he hates diddy kong.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

coyo7e posted:

He doesn't hit me nearly as hard as, say, Moriarty in the new Holmes show with cumberbatch for instance

I think you and I must be exact opposites. Moriarty in the new Holmes did nothing but annoy me and make me roll my eyes. He was so over the top that I could never take him seriously as a threat.

I loved Sherlock anyway, though.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
I finally got around to watching Ex Machina (free on Amazon Prime right now) today, and wow, was that ever fantastic.

... and now I'm watching Dead Snow 2: Red vs. Dead which sure ... is ... something. Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying this but it's definitely for a night you're thinking more Evil Dead 2 instead of Night of the Living Dead, right down to the opening voiceover montage.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

speshl guy posted:

yeah, but also the implication from the ending was that every time they loaded up the program to send Jake Gyllenhaal into that dude's memory, they copied and pasted a new universe into existence, each of which also had their own shady government source code organization within it making new universes ad infinitum.

Also, every time the Source Code succeeds, the government people have no idea that it worked since he's stopped a terrorist attack before it happens. So there's multiple iterations of Gyllenhaal's consciousness inhabiting people in the 'final' world, right? That's what I thought, anyway.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Dead Snow 2: Red vs. Dead

I found that to be a kind of disappointing sequel honestly.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The part in a electric boogaloo with the Christmas tree and a bag of oranges is the hardest I have laughed in a while.

I really have to see The Last American Virgin.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Just watched all of Detectorists, a charming little comedy series from the UK about metal detector hobbyists and their quirky lives. Written by McKenzie Crook, and starring him and Toby Jones. Great writing, subtle humor, and wonderful cinematography of the english countryside.

Deffo recommended, check it out on Netflix US/Canada.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I was disappointed with the second season of Broadchurch. Changing the focus from a murder investigation to court drama meant the new investigation felt like an afterthought. Also I am unfamiliar with British law but the trial seemed rather preposterous to me would the admissibility of a confession really be argued in front of the jury? That's extremely prejudicial, don't they have pre-trial hearings like an American grand jury to handle that? Also do they have any rules of evidence whatsoever?

If they ditched most of the trial they could have fleshed out how Tennant's character's prior investigation of this season's case led him to his conclusions, and also how the case against the suspects fell apart. Instead we got interminable scenes of characters sitting outside the courtroom waiting to be called for testimony.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Man, thanks to whoever recommended instant watcher. That site is great.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Apocalypto is on UK Netflix.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Apocalypto is on UK Netflix.

It used to be on US Netflix, if it's gone that's a real shame. It's like Noah in that it's a completely unnecessary and weird movie that is still also super entertaining.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

precision posted:

It used to be on US Netflix, if it's gone that's a real shame. It's like Noah in that it's a completely unnecessary and weird movie that is still also super entertaining.
School me on the concept of unnecessary movies.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

SubG posted:

The Phantom Menace

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That new Peanuts movie is the ultimate unnecessary movie.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I think u guys r just listing stuff you don't like

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

SubG posted:

Anything your parents filmed of their little angel. :angel:

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

precision posted:

Apocalypto is really good (I think Gibson did a great job directing it), unlike Noah which is Aronofsky's worst move.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Noah looks fantastic and has a lot of fun ideas in it. Not as good as Black Swan or The Fountain but worthy of the Aronofsky name in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

nate fisher posted:

Apocalypto is really good (I think Gibson did a great job directing it), unlike Noah which is Aronofsky's worst move.

Jaguar out of nowhere!