Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

gradenko_2000 posted:

I watched the "Dean scream" for the first time today.

It didn't really seem all that bad. That sunk a campaign?

Also you need to watch it 99 more times in the next 24 hours to get the full effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

A Bag of Milk posted:

Here's an emotional article about one of the 16 year old survivors of the Oregon community college shooting that happened recently. It really just has to be read. Quoting and bolding chunks will do it no justice.

No, wait. Here's a quote:

quote:

She had been the youngest one shot on just her fourth day of college, and she was also one of the survivors in the worst shape: Lung punctured. Kidney pierced. Ribs cracked. Nerves compressed. Stomach stapled. Abdominals torn. She couldn’t yet sleep flat in bed, or walk unassisted, or do much of anything beyond lie in the recliner on her left side. “Very lucky, considering,” was what she had been told by one trauma medic, who specialized in treating soldiers after combat. But Cheyeanne had signed up for Writing 115, not a war, and the idea of luck hadn’t occurred to her yet.

:smith:

E: For context, she was sixteen and four days into her first time at community college. 16.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 7, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Samurai Sanders posted:

Do white people (or black people for that matter) ever get on the no fly list?

Ted Kennedy was on the list, back in the Bush days.

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

Joementum posted:

Ted Kennedy was on the list, back in the Bush days.

quote:

A senior administration official, who spoke on condition he not be identified, said Kennedy was stopped because the name "T. Kennedy" has been used as an alias by someone on the list of terrorist suspects.

Source

Ah yes, I frequently use the Kennedy name when traveling to try to get bumped up to first class.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Two people got kidnapped and rescued by a SWAT team over the weekend at Rochester and I didn't even know about it. One of them was shot by the kidnappers but he'll be okay. :wtc:

http://www.wilx.com/home/headlines/...evice=phone&c=y

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Jagchosis posted:

He was already on a doomed trajectory that just made his campaign a joke
Well he went on to engineer the 2006 elections victory for the Democrats and helped pave the way for the 2008 elections as well, so it wasn't a total loss. He was a hell of a lot better for the Democrats than Debbie Schultz for certain.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

DeusExMachinima posted:

How do you feel about goon hero da Bern dropping trou and spraying liquid poo poo all over the 5th and 14th Amendments, Literally The Worst?

You should be okay with it as long as he doesn't do it to the 2nd, right?

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

stinkles1112 posted:

My point is that I frankly don't care if some legal grey area is meandered into in service of the noble cause of breaking America's awful gun culture.

Geoff Peterson posted:

I'm all for loving up Gun Culture.

quote:

GUN CULTURE :bahgawd:
Ah tribalism. Nothing bad ever came of that!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Don't forget that today is the anniversary of Pearl Harbor, when we were attacked by the perfidious nation of Asia.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
December sure is a bummer of a month for Erick, son of Erick. Can't eat any Asian food, can't see the Star Wars film. Dude really needs a pick-me-up.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I imagine he was going to originally tweet that his parents wouldn't let him eat Chinese food but realized how ignorant that made his folks look. Or maybe I'm being unfair and the Ericksons were culinary pioneers enjoying sushi in the 60's.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Stick it to those Chinese, loyal allies of the WWII Imperialist Japanese that bombed Pearl Harbor

Joementum posted:

December sure is a bummer of a month for Erick, son of Erick. Can't eat any Asian food, can't see the Star Wars film. Dude really needs a pick-me-up.

It's a good thing he isn't Jewish or his Christmas would be ruined.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Perhaps he will have Indian food instead.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Is it hard to hate everything so much?

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
I think I'll eat sushi today, cheers Erick.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's also the first Pearl Harbor Day with zero WW2 vets in Congress.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I had a friend growing up who's dad replaced all the Japanese parts on his bike out of reverence to WWII.

On the other side my grandfather fought in the Pacific theater. I didn't really know him very well but I do know that he considered American cars garbage and only bought Japanese and that mentality was transferred to my dad who was also in the army.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Every other day of the year it's all General Tso's all the time, but December 7th? We're getting schnitzel.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

zoux posted:

:rip: Ralph Hall (D, then R-TX, not actually dead yet) who lost his primary despite spending $30,000 of his campaign money on gifts of ham and chocolate.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

euphronius posted:

Perhaps he will have Indian food instead.

Which in the UK is called Asian food.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Potential BFF posted:

Every other day of the year it's all General Tso's all the time, but December 7th? We're getting schnitzel.

Hamburgers and spaghetti :classiclol:

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

EDIT: Oops, this is not the GOP primary thread.

Arcanen fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Dec 7, 2015

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

Getting paid six figures to tank a Bush campaign rules. Nepotism taking down a Bush rules.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Joementum posted:

Be sure to wish him "Happy Holidays" on twitter. Always brightens my day.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Radish posted:

I had a friend growing up who's dad replaced all the Japanese parts on his bike out of reverence to WWII.

Ah yes, the Japanese aircraft carrier Shimano.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

zoux posted:

what about 1942?

EDIT: oh I guess Pearl Harbor Day as opposed to "an anniversary of Pearl Harbor"

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

No, wait. Here's a quote:

:smith:

You know, if congress (re: republicans) are perfectly fine with having gun battles spontaneously erupt by refusing to do anything remotely responsible when it comes to gun control the least they could do is to grant all mass shooting survivors fee health care, or even though it has it's own problem at least admission into the VA system since taking a bullet for the second amendment is technically defending our freedoms.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

A Winner is Jew posted:

You know, if congress (re: republicans) are perfectly fine with having gun battles spontaneously erupt by refusing to do anything remotely responsible when it comes to gun control the least they could do is to grant all mass shooting survivors fee health care, or even though it has it's own problem at least admission into the VA system since taking a bullet for the second amendment is technically defending our freedoms.

You know exactly what would be said:

She should have picked herself up by her bootstraps and bought a gun to end the attack and be a useful major like business instead of writing.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I want to live in this fantasy US where Republican politicians actually fund the VA

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
In some bad news for the NRA, SCOTUS denied cert to a case which contested the legality of bans on semi-automatic assault weapons and large-capacity magazines. This leaves intact a lower court ruling that concluded that such bans are legal.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ComradeCosmobot posted:

In some bad news for the NRA, SCOTUS denied cert to a case which contested the legality of bans on semi-automatic assault weapons and large-capacity magazines. This leaves intact a lower court ruling that concluded that such bans are legal.

RIP America 1776-2015.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Kilroy posted:

Well he went on to engineer the 2006 elections victory for the Democrats and helped pave the way for the 2008 elections as well, so it wasn't a total loss. He was a hell of a lot better for the Democrats than Debbie Schultz for certain.

Easy to win midterm elections when the other party has an unpopular President. Harder, when your guy is unpopular (with midterm voters).

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Radish posted:

On the other side my grandfather fought in the Pacific theater. I didn't really know him very well but I do know that he considered American cars garbage and only bought Japanese and that mentality was transferred to my dad who was also in the army.

My grandfather was in both theaters and in Korea as an aircraft mechanic.

Super proud of our German heritage to the point of saying everything even remotely German was better. "Those are German fried potatoes so eat up!"

Also I would think it'd be perfectly OK to eat Chinese on Pearl Harbor day.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

DemeaninDemon posted:

Also I would think it'd be perfectly OK to eat Chinese on Pearl Harbor day.

It should be, considering we were supporting the Chinese militarily and materially against the Japanese and the Japanese incursion into Manchuria was part of the reason we cut them off.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

CommieGIR posted:

It should be, considering we were supporting the Chinese militarily and materially against the Japanese and the Japanese incursion into Manchuria was part of the reason we cut them off.

Now why are you letting a little thing like history get in the way of a talking point.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Now why are you letting a little thing like history get in the way of a talking point.

:911: :respek: :china:

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Kilroy posted:

Ah tribalism. Nothing bad ever came of that!

Gun owners are a "tribe" much the same way that people who drive Buicks are a "tribe"

Guys, we can't judge someone on the color of their skin, but the content of their holster :qq:

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

stinkles1112 posted:

Gun owners are a "tribe" much the same way that people who drive Buicks are a "tribe"

Guys, we can't judge someone on the color of their skin, but the content of their holster :qq:

Bitch uses a glock, what an rear end in a top hat haha bet he drives a Chevy too.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

foobardog posted:

You know exactly what would be said:

She should have picked herself up by her bootstraps and bought a gun to end the attack and be a useful major like business instead of writing.

I don't think 16 is old enough to even get a gun. :smith:

Which would probably elicit a response of "we need to lower the legal age to carry a gun."

E: oh, apparently in a very few amount of states like Vermont you can buy and own a handgun at 16. So, you can barely drive on temps, can't gently caress legally, can't drink or smoke, can't vote, can't sign up for the military, but you can buy a handgun and possibly maim or kill yourself and others! :wtc:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Dec 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

ComradeCosmobot posted:

So that's how many times now gun advocates have tried and failed to strike down a gun ordinance based on a misinterpretation of Heller? I've lost count.

• Locked thread