Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Dragyn posted:

Not every employee they've ever had is a lying salesman piece of poo poo. I worked for Best Buy GS from 2006 - 2008 while the job market was in the toilet and I'd just finished college. There were several agents who genuinely knew their poo poo (myself included), and did everything they could to lessen the price gouging that corporate forced on us. The problem here is the corporation, not the techs. It hurt my soul to charge $200 for virus cleaning, but we tried to give freebies where we could.

That said, there are a lot of cases where they would move someone from computer sales to GS for the express sake of services sales (particularly new PC setups), but they were never allowed to actually work on computers on the bench (at least in my precinct). Some precincts do have lovely techs too, but that's like any work place.

In early 2009 they rebranded all their home theater installers to the Geek Squad brand, and that's why you see those ugly rear end panel trucks. Double-agents (in-home GS techs) still drive Geekmobiles (VW Beetles).

fake edit: Geek Squad, Precinct, Double-Agents, Counter Intelligence Agents (in-store support) and Geekmobiles are all official terms in the employee handbook, and yes, I hate myself for being part of the system, but a man's gotta eat.

My boss used to give me poo poo for not charging customers the $30 "Half hour service" fee for dumb poo poo that I could fix in under 30 seconds. I'm sorry, I just can't bring myself to take money from someone if all I had to do was flick the WiFi switch on the side of their computer to "on", or drag the taskbar back to the bottom of the screen and lock it.

My sales numbers were consistently some of the lowest in the department and I could not have given any less of a poo poo about that.

Shortly after I left I heard that they changed the structure of Geek Squad because they finally realized that different people had different strengths, and maybe you should leave the smart ones in the back fixing poo poo so things are actually done right. I also heard that, in true Best Buy fashion, they hosed it up somehow anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I worked selling appliances for Best Buy for two years. At least you Geeksquad guys got noticed. The Appliances department was literally the red-headed stepchild of the store. Just a wasteland tucked in a corner near car-fi where every other department would put their excess product and where people went to try and steal poo poo. No one ever believed we weren't on commission, and we had people constantly price shopping between us and the other 5 major appliance dealers that were all a mile from us. We only ever received a half page ad in the flyer, on the very last page of the flyer, and we were never recognized for anything, ever.

I once organised a project that ended up selling 90% of the open box items, not just in my department, but the entire store(cause, you know, they were all over in my department to begin with). Our department received no recognition for clearing out 3 aisles worth of display and returned poo poo, official or otherwise, during the holiday season. I left shortly after the new year, when it would become apparently that my hours were going to get cut down to ~15/week because "after the new year is the slow season and we need to make sure there's enough labor for everyone."

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

MiniFoo posted:

Welp, this is the last time I agree to upgrading an aluminum-unibody iMac to an SSD when they also want to keep their BootCamp partition. This office is too loving dusty; there's no way I'll be able to make sure the inside of the glass is clean enough.

[edit] I took out the HDD, hooked it up to my own computer alongside the SSD, booted into Clonezilla and did a straight-up disk-to-disk clone. I (finally) figured out the correct orientation of the mounting bracket, then put everything back together. It booted into OS X no problem, and I checked Disk Utility and saw both partitions. However, holding down the Option key on startup only shows "Macintosh" and "Recovery", no Windows. I mean, if all else fails I can now image the BootCamp side using WinClone or whatever and restore it, but is there any easier way that anybody here can think of? Maybe something to do with the UUID? I've still got the original HDD that's otherwise untouched, for what it's worth, and here's a screenshot as well:

For those who care, I fixed this by plugging in the old HDD and using gdisk to make a backup of its GPT structure, then directly writing the backup to the new SSD. Windows 7 took a while to boot up, but I'm not sure that was related anyway. Strange that a 1:1 copy using Clonezilla didn't also transfer the MBR over, but oh well.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I worked with an intern at an MSP that came from geek squad. He was good, if a little basic with troubleshooting before asking for help. Instead of going back to geek squad the MSP offered full time hours through the summer. He spent 2 years as an intern to avoid geek squad again, finished school, and moved up to a full time helpdesk spot somewhere.

That MSP did everything it could to prevent him from having to go back to the hell that is best buy.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Sormus posted:

Ugh, you and your frivolous spending, just cut the damaged bit of cable off and solder it together.

You nuts? Electrical tape or shrink wrap will work just fine, no need for them fancy tools

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Ozz81 posted:

You nuts? Electrical tape or shrink wrap will work just fine, no need for them fancy tools

Equipment like that costs money! Just have the intern wet his fingers, then hold one end of the cable in each hand.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

carry on then posted:

Computer companies!
Is this a certain large, blue company that's existed for about 104 years?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ponzicar posted:

Equipment like that costs money! Just have the intern wet his fingers, then hold one end of the cable in each hand.

Electrical testing equipment is expensive! Just have the intern stick one end of the cable in his mouth, and plug the other to the wall socket. If he lives, we'll know it needs replacing. If not, he was unpaid anyway.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
My favorite Best Buy story is that as part of the restructuring that I mentioned earlier, a ton of PoS machines had to be converted to Geek Squad PoS machines (which had some extra software on it). Normal process for this is to open a ticket with the help desk and wait for someone else to come and do it, because even Best Buy didn't trust geek squad to re-image computers apparently.

So many requests were put in across the entire company that the VP of IT just put a halt on all reimaging requests. Because for some reason, the perfect solution to too many tickets is to just refuse to do them altogether. There was a several week lockdown while they figured out...whatever they had to figure out, which severely crippled a ton of stores because they didn't have the computers they needed to operate.

I forgot the specifics on this only because I only found out months later while plastered at a bar with a few old coworkers. I think it had something to do with making Customer Service a subdomain of Geek Squad and needing access to ticketing to do returns or something like that.

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

larchesdanrew posted:

Anyone with Quickbooks experience? Is it normal for a backup file to be 30+GB? My client wants to make a daily backup and then keep every backup forever stored both locally and in the butt. The backups are increasing in size exponentially and his storage costs are gonna get out of hand real quick.

I either need to figure out how to make the files smaller or convince him to adopt a more feasible backup strategy.

I had this issue with the Australian version. Make sure there are no other files (such has older backups) in the images or template subfolders that the Quickbooks database is stored in.

I had one that was creating massive backups because a previous backup was stored in the Images directory and it was being added to each new backup.

Maniaman
Mar 3, 2006
Something bad happened with the building's boilers this afternoon which blew apart the heating water pipes in multiple places and caused the boilers to shut down. It's been about 9 hours and according to a coworker it's still messed up and maintenance doesn't have any idea how long it will be before it's fixed. Tomorrow's gonna be a fun day.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Maniaman posted:

Something bad happened with the building's boilers this afternoon which blew apart the heating water pipes in multiple places and caused the boilers to shut down. It's been about 9 hours and according to a coworker it's still messed up and maintenance doesn't have any idea how long it will be before it's fixed. Tomorrow's gonna be a fun day.

At least your server room isn't in your boiler room.

Right? :ohdear:

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

How in the gently caress do you 1) bend your phone 2) without breaking the glass??

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

evobatman posted:

How in the gently caress do you 1) bend your phone 2) without breaking the glass??

I'm guessing in a pocket, sitting down slowly.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

evobatman posted:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/11/7/7173451/my-name-is-dan-and-i-had-a-bent-iphone
http://9to5mac.com/2014/09/30/bendgate/

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

evobatman posted:

I thought only 6 and especially 6+ were susceptible to bending.

e: well I suppose anything is susceptible to bending but you know what I mean.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Yeah, Bendgate was about the iPhone 6. This is an iPhone 5S, which is a pretty chunky piece of metal.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

evobatman posted:

It doesn't look like the glass is bent. My guess is tight pockets, over time.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I have a great idea. Let's make a rectangle and keep making it thinner and larger. Then get people to put it in their pocket. What could possible go wrong? Also it produces heat making it more susceptible to bending. We'll make millions.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Me and another coworker are in the process of implementing a security token for our users to log in remotely. We've got it all working. So now we are sending out emails to the users with instruction on how to activate it.
We checked the instructions. We test ran it on some users. We made it simpler.
2 in 20 do it flawlessly.
8 in 20 ignore it until they try to log on from home. Find out they can't log on
10 call us not reading the instructions. And demand support.

We are doing this for 400 users :suicide:
So we decided to take it slow and convert 20 users a day until we have them all.
We finally got em all to use a security token now.

Sefal fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Dec 8, 2015

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

pixaal posted:

I have a great idea. Let's make a rectangle and keep making it thinner and larger. Then get people to put it in their pocket. What could possible go wrong? Also it produces heat making it more susceptible to bending. We'll make millions.

I have have even better idea. How about people start treating their phones like the expensive devices they are?

Every picture I see like this, its always some moron who probably takes better care of the trinkets received from a Happy Meal. It bends when you sit on it? You don't say! How about not sitting on it for a change?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sefal posted:

implementering

Dina instruktioner är en bit av skit :sweden:

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Jerry Cotton posted:

Dina instruktioner är en bit av skit :sweden:

Thx for spotting that. I made a typo and i guess I had the dutch dictionary on.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sefal posted:

Me and another coworker are in the process of implementering a security token for our users to log in remotely. We've got it all working. So now we are sending out emails to the users with instruction on how to activate it.
We checked the instructions. We test ran it on some users. We made it simpler.
2 in 20 do it flawlessly.
8 in 20 ignore it until they try to log on from home. Find out they can't log on
10 call us not reading the instructions. And demand support.

We are doing this for 400 users :suicide:
So we decided to take it slow and covert 20 users a day until we have them all.
We finally got em all to use a security token now.

I PUT IN THE NUMBER EXACTLY AS IT SHOWS UP AND IT WON'T WORK!

PIN? What PIN? I have to put in a PIN? Why would I use my PIN? I thought the whole point was to put in the number from the security token?

OK, It's definitely broken. I tried my ATM PIN multiple times and it won't work, please escalate.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sefal posted:

I wonder how easy learning Dutch would be since I already know English, some Swedish, and a bit of German. Then again I don't know what I'd do with Dutch personally or professionally :shrug:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jerry Cotton posted:

I wonder how easy learning Dutch would be since I already know English, some Swedish, and a bit of German. Then again I don't know what I'd do with Dutch personally or professionally :shrug:

Finance? International shipping? Become a slaver for the New World?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Sefal posted:

Me and another coworker are in the process of implementing a security token for our users to log in remotely. We've got it all working. So now we are sending out emails to the users with instruction on how to activate it.

I was considering forcing everyone to use two-factor authentication with our Google Apps domain but enough people have problems just logging in normally that I honestly don't think that helpdesk could handle the ticket volume that would result from people loving up the two-factor entry.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Every single one of our customers has expressed interest in 2FA to protect their email accounts, and then demands it's turned off when it requires things like a phone without a flat battery, or left in a bag on the other side of the room.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Our ticketing system just got a blank email from imhelp@centurylink.com that says it is a ticket update notification. Luckily for them, I am in agreement that "i'm help" is the best possible email address they could have used for this notification.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Jerry Cotton posted:

There's really no point since literally every Dutch person also speaks English. And there's only 16 million of us.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Merijn posted:

There's really no point since literally every Dutch person also speaks English. And there's only 16 million of us.

Thats more than twice the city I live in!

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Merijn posted:

There's also 6 million Flemish, hth.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Merijn posted:

To the point where literally every foreigner I've met that wants to learn Dutch (mostly exchange students) complains how it's impossible to practice, because as soon as we hear them struggling we'll switch to English.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

anthonypants posted:

Our ticketing system just got a blank email from imhelp@centurylink.com that says it is a ticket update notification. Luckily for them, I am in agreement that "i'm help" is the best possible email address they could have used for this notification.

Reminds me of something at my company. Are you a business customer who needs to make changes to their dns settings for the static ips that you buy from us? Send an email to the most professional email address ever, help4u@ourcompany.com.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
Did the person who came up with your company email name scheme previously work at Ouya?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Dragyn posted:

Double-agents (in-home GS techs) still drive Geekmobiles (VW Beetles).

Aren't double agents the bad guys? Like, pretending to work for Geek Squad but actually on the side of broken hardware and viruses? I feel they did not think this analogy through :colbert:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Sefal posted:

Yes hello ai em sefal ai wil tietsj joe how toe inloggen

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

lodewijk posted:

There's also 6 million Flemish, hth.

Most of whom also speak English.

Albeit with a different funny accent.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012
A ticket came in, the power at work is down. So today and yesterday I have experienced the joy of working from home.

having a real job is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

feedmegin posted:

Aren't double agents the bad guys? Like, pretending to work for Geek Squad but actually on the side of broken hardware and viruses? I feel they did not think this analogy through :colbert:

Unless they are your double agents posing as agents of your enemies. Unless they're double-double agents...

They didn't think much of anything through, no.

• Locked thread