Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

NecroMonster posted:

this is actually how he posts in every subforum and thread. every drat post he makes.

:troll:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

2house2fly posted:

The line is funny. The author's perspective is weird, objecting to it being "hateful" implies we're meant to sympathise with the protagonist, a person whose reaction upon finding a mutilated woman was "aw, she's too messed up for me to rape her :("

Yeah, Vic and Blood are shown to both be horrible, we're not supposed to identify or sympathize with them and the movie (haven't read the book) is darkly humorous. To me, the reason why the final line was such a gutpunch was that we're given a little slight glimmer of hope that maybe Vic will change and be a decent person, but then he doesn't and Blood makes a final morbid quip to drive it home that nothing has changed or will ever change.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Why is there no "Little Boy" mod for the Fat Man? That thing was the best weapon mod ever, make my mini-nuke launcher weigh half as much? Yes, please!

Finished another run. Now, time for a suboptimal, 10-CHA run where I blindly intimidate every person or creature I can just because I can.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Anyone who didn't install the 'weightless junk and other items' mod yet should definitely do, the game is a lot more fun to play when you don't have to fast travel to one of your junk piles every time you kill a bunch of raiders, it also allows you to pretty much craft anything you want everywhere you want. Maybe it's cheating but after doing two hundred junk drops during my first playthrough I felt like I fully experienced that aspect of the game.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Speedball posted:

Finished another run. Now, time for a suboptimal, 10-CHA run where I blindly intimidate every person or creature I can just because I can.

This is what I'm doing now. I'm level 30 something and going strong. It's fun.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Anyone who didn't install the 'weightless junk and other items' mod yet should definitely do, the game is a lot more fun to play when you don't have to fast travel to one of your junk piles every time you kill a bunch of raiders, it also allows you to pretty much craft anything you want everywhere you want. Maybe it's cheating but after doing two hundred junk drops during my first playthrough I felt like I fully experienced that aspect of the game.

I don't think this sort of thing is for me. One of the purposes of carry limitations is to force you to prioritize what you grab (and so what you don't have to grab)

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Fallout 2 literally admits that it's a Mad Max ripoff, so I think was for the better when Bethesda decided to focus more on the 50s thing, giving the game an identity.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Dirk the Average posted:

New Vegas had much better writing

This sums up the level of delusion in this thread quite nicely.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So I finished the game. What a god awful mess of a story

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Zephyrine posted:

I don't think this sort of thing is for me. One of the purposes of carry limitations is to force you to prioritize what you grab (and so what you don't have to grab)

Yeah, if they skipped the weight limit thing people would be complaining nonstop how unfun the optimal playstyle of meticulously picking up every single object is. Like people can still do that or cheat out the limits but at least the game has a way of saying "we don't expect you to pick up all the stuff and the game isn't balanced around you doing that even though it all has some level of value".

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Jf_0p5wgkI&t=345sThe ending to the cat part though

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

JackBadass posted:

This sums up the level of delusion in this thread quite nicely.
I don't think the word "delusion" means what you think it means, and I'm not sure you're (ever) ready to figure out exactly who the kind of people are actually that

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
(institute spoilers) Father's motivations seem increasingly questionable as I think more about how the game progressed up to the point that you meet him. Perhaps it was intentional but he comes across as significantly broken, less human than the synths. He wants you to take over, but also he didn't seem all that interested in you until recently (perhaps explained by his dying), but not interested enough to actually go and get you or even do anything to ensure your survival, given that he wasn't at all sure you would make it.

A very disjointed and badly written character.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Day 4, they still think I am a Super Mutant.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I really just don't get why if all they needed was untainted blood, why didn't they go with any number of people from the cryo pods who'd never been exposed to the wastes? I guess that a baby would be the least likely to have any major diseases but it still seems contrived and arbitrary. And Father talks like it's completely self-explanatory, and there's no way to say "none of this makes any loving sense".

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I saw that guy. If you kill the super mutants he'll tell you he was captured and they were taking him to Trinity Tower. I think I had the encounter glitch out once though because I definitely had a bare handed settler boldly charge at me while backed up by his 3 super mutant pals.

King Vidiot posted:

I really just don't get why if all they needed was untainted blood, why didn't they go with any number of people from the cryo pods who'd never been exposed to the wastes? I guess that a baby would be the least likely to have any major diseases but it still seems contrived and arbitrary. And Father talks like it's completely self-explanatory, and there's no way to say "none of this makes any loving sense".

He says that a baby would be the easiest to work with since they can raise them in the Institute and not have to readjust them from pre-war life. Makes sense. What doesn't make sense is why they shoot your spouse instead of just saying "hey lets go to a completely safe place where your son can be raised in total safety". There's zero reason for Kellog to shoot them other than ~drama~.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

King Vidiot posted:

I guess with the baby not only they had the untainted body without any radiation but they could also teach the Institute values for his whole upbringing.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

khy posted:

So why can't I play New Vegas as a guy who wants to leave Benny alone? Why do I HAVE to find some guy that shot me? I mean, if he wants the chip that badly, let him have it. It was only worth 250 caps to deliver the drat thing. The guy already shot me in the head once, why the hell do I HAVE to chase him down? Why can't I tell him "Just take the chip, I don't care. Here, a package from NCR Outpost bravo. Sign for it and I'm gone."

You play a game with a main story you're GONNA get railroaded down that story. I can't think of a single game for which that isn't true. At least Bethesda games let you deviate from them in the form of 'just go do sidequests and enjoy yourself'. Hell, in that regard Fallout 4 is better than 3 and NV. Eventually, though it might take a looooong time, you're gonna run out of quests to do in NV. You're going to explore all there is in the Mojave. You're going to be forced to do the main quest simply because there's nothing else left. At least in 4, the radiant quests (While awful and repetitive) will continue on as long as you want them to. I will grant you that eventually you'll get sick of them but it's more than NV gave you.
This was actually a big part of why I didn't enjoy NV as much, and never, ever completed it. Also I hated the uber-cramped areas around vegas, it felt like a slog to walk 100 yards because I'd have to kill of a bunch of enemies spawning outside of 3-5 areas that I had to walk around because everything was built like a goddamned labyrinth to make it feel "bigger" which hasn't worked since Morrowind.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

He says that a baby would be the easiest to work with since they can raise them in the Institute and not have to readjust them from pre-war life. Makes sense. What doesn't make sense is why they shoot your spouse instead of just saying "hey lets go to a completely safe place where your son can be raised in total safety". There's zero reason for Kellog to shoot them other than ~drama~.

better kill almost everyone else in the other pods here too, just to be safe (Not Kellogg's fault I guess since it was just his orders)

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

khy posted:

So why can't I play New Vegas as a guy who wants to leave Benny alone? Why do I HAVE to find some guy that shot me? I mean, if he wants the chip that badly, let him have it. It was only worth 250 caps to deliver the drat thing. The guy already shot me in the head once, why the hell do I HAVE to chase him down? Why can't I tell him "Just take the chip, I don't care. Here, a package from NCR Outpost bravo. Sign for it and I'm gone."

I'm fairly certain that with the NCR storyline you don't ever have to even talk to Benny, nevermind track him down

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

khy posted:

You play a game with a main story you're GONNA get railroaded down that story. I can't think of a single game for which that isn't true. At least Bethesda games let you deviate from them in the form of 'just go do sidequests and enjoy yourself'. Hell, in that regard Fallout 4 is better than 3 and NV. Eventually, though it might take a looooong time, you're gonna run out of quests to do in NV. You're going to explore all there is in the Mojave. You're going to be forced to do the main quest simply because there's nothing else left. At least in 4, the radiant quests (While awful and repetitive) will continue on as long as you want them to. I will grant you that eventually you'll get sick of them but it's more than NV gave you.

I don't think radiant quests are a selling point.

But I also think it's just a difference in priorities. I played NV because I wanted to have a cool Fallout story, not because I wanted to have directionless and neverending adventures. New Vegas was good for what I wanted, and Fallout 4 isn't. Simultaneously, it sounds like Fallout 4 is good for what you want, but not New Vegas. It's fine with me that I will eventually run out of quests to do in New Vegas, because I'm not in it to endlessly play one dude, or to wander off and explore and find random stuff.

I think that's really just it. I wanted a good story that I had lots of freedom to influence. Sure, NV railroaded me into giving at least a vague poo poo about Benny for the first half but I was fine with that just because it served as a decent hook to get me into the story. Though I'll acknowledge that Benny is a weak spot in NV, not least because Matthew Perry phoned in that voice performance and he's just embarrassing to listen to. The rest of it, and the reactivity of the main quest and side quests, more than makes up for an awkward beginning for me. But not for everyone. Whether one prefers FO3/4 or NV is just down to what you enjoy most in an open-world RPG.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Falken posted:

Day 4, they still think I am a Super Mutant.

He's a captive, he'll thank you and run off if you kill the mutants

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Speaking of radiant quests, anyone else notice how they are a lot different in FO4 than they were in Skyrim? In Skyrim, they were designed to specifically lead the player to places they had not discovered yet. It's not like that in FO4. I must've cleared Corvega 6 different times by now.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Harrow posted:

Whether one prefers FO3/4 or NV is just down to what you enjoy most in an open-world RPG.

You've clearly posted this thing I agree with completely in the wrong thread.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Volkerball posted:

Speaking of radiant quests, anyone else notice how they are a lot different in FO4 than they were in Skyrim? In Skyrim, they were designed to specifically lead the player to places they had not discovered yet. It's not like that in FO4. I must've cleared Corvega 6 different times by now.

Just like me and the goddamn iron works. At least some of them have shortcuts after you get keys or know the area (like the ration center and the lonely church). Stupid forged I have to tromp through the entire drat place again.

At least it means I get piles of helmeted cage armor for my guards, but that's just searching for a silver lining.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I'd rather just type tgm in the console and build at that point.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Volkerball posted:

I was sent to the same place over and over again in Skyrim too.

I think it just ran out of places to go

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Cojawfee posted:

People seem to keep trying to imagine that New Vegas somehow didn't force you into certain type of character in order to do the main quest. It's exactly the same as FO4. You can create a save right before you exit the vault where you get to change your appearance again. You can exit the vault and head straight to wherever you want and completely ignore the main quest. The only time you ever have to see anything about "MY BOY SHAUN" is in a few dialog options where you can just as easily talk about your son, your spouse, you're just out fuckin around or whatever. You're never forced to acknowledge you have a son until you do the main quest. Even then, there are still dialog options where you don't have to talk about your son.
The problem is that using a missing child is pretty much emotional blackmail toward the audience, on the part of the writer. There are certain motivations which most audience members can take or leave, but abandoning/ignoring a missing child is something in writing which really does force a whole hell of a lot of people to have a second-thought before making a decision which doesn't immediately lead to "saving a child"..

I mean have you ever received an AMBER ALERT on your phone and then seen what happens to your social media immediately? That stuff isn't like "oh man orphans are starving in Africa and Sally Struthers is making us feel something," telling someone "you have a child, and that child was just taken from you!" is really heavy stuff, and it's a hard motivation to ignore, even for someone who knows that the entire thing is fictional and contrived.

It's the same reason people get stressed and upset when put into Game Theory scenarios such as "there's a person on the tracks, and the train is about to crash and kill errybody on board - do you flip the switch to send it to the safe tracks - BUT KILL THE PERSON ON THE TRACKS!?!?" It's heavy stuff, and not everyone appreciate having certain emotional levers manipulated by writers, in lieu of those writers actually coming up with something non-invasive, to crib a term. I'm not trying to be all SJW trigger-warning about it, but that's basically what the writing should have - a trigger warning that says "people who get upset at children being mistreated should be aware".

If you're familiar with Joseph Campbell, one might say that there's a reason the chosen one doesn't have their kid stolen from them, but are rather cut off from their roots and informed that they are The One True Hero and that they've got Something Important To Do, and that the reason is not

One of those scenarios leads to a broadening of horizons and growing up in the big wide world, and one leads to people foaming at the mouth and using power drills on random dudes' kneecaps.

khy posted:

E: Or perhaps I'm misunderstanding Coyote's point. I thought he was bitching because he didn't like the fact that the game's forcing a motivation on him that he doesn't care about (Finding the missing child), when more or less all games do that.
That's entirely my point, I don't appreciate such a lovely form of motivation, and it does bring me out of my enjoyment when I open up a dialogue with some random NPC and I see that at least two choices are about my "missing child".

Internet Kraken posted:

Oh yeah, the implementation of course isn't great but that's a different complaint entirely. People are acting like the premise alone keeps you from roleplaying and I don't see how compared to every game in the series BESIDES New Vegas.

Can you actually name me some moments where the dialogue is like this outside of the main quest? Most of the time I remember my character being able to say "I'm looking for my kid" or some variation of "just wandering around/piss off"
Every time I've talked to anyone who's not some radiant quest settler bitching about raiders and greenskins, it really feels like more than half of my conversation options are nothing but MY KID WAS TAKEN I WANT HIM BACK RIGHT NOW!!!

Basically, any time you meet a character who isn't entirely wrapped up in a side story, your first conversation openers are either MY CHILD WAS TAKEN or "WHERE IS DIAMOND CITY" and the diamond city thing is pretty stupid, because it's really, really easy to get it marked on your map by a hundred different NPCs.

Kimmalah posted:

I had one randomly drop on my head in a tiny little cave/tunnel in the Boston Mayoral Shelter and another in the Museum of Witchcraft.

I was also exploring an area and randomly found a circuit breaker that sets off a siren. Which caused two deathclaws to immediately spawn outside and trap me in the building. :negative:
I was really sad that there was no workbench in that area, it would've been an excellent settlement with that rad tower in the middle.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

coyo7e posted:

Every time I've talked to anyone who's not some radiant quest settler bitching about raiders and greenskins, it really feels like more than half of my conversation options are nothing but MY KID WAS TAKEN I WANT HIM BACK RIGHT NOW!!!

Okay can you actually post examples of this because I'm pretty sure this is a load of crap. Usually you have one option to mention your kid and then a bunch of variations of other stuff like wandering around or scavenging.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

coyo7e posted:

Actually this doesn't happen

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Look, the vault dweller has a certain set of skills

Quantum Cat
May 6, 2007
Why am I in a BOX?WFT?!

Zodium posted:

If you aren't having fun with a melee build, you're doing something wrong. It's a perk-intense build since you need maxed agility and high luck, good power armor, Pain Train, the sprinting perk, a jet pack, and lots of psychojet. If you don't have those, you're gonna have a bad time. Sneak melee is fun for a little bit, but full berserker is the only way to roll into the end game.

If you don't mind going into it what build would you suggest for that?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
The only parts I can remember where your character rants about their missing kid is when talking to Preston in the beginning, and while talking to Nick after you've rescued him. Other than that, it's fairly absent.

Edit: Oh yeah, and Codsworth, I suppose.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Bholder posted:

I don't know why everyone gets so loving anal about this backstory bit when every Fallout... no, every RPG out there does the same and have numerous assumptions about your past so your character can be part of the story, making it feel more personal. New Vegas forces you to go to New Vegas, Fallout 1 forces you to find the water chip and destroy the mutants, Planescape Torment forces you to find yourself...
Or is this about not being able to play as a person in a functioning heteronormative relationship.

This isn't just about the writing backstory or whatever, nearly every complaint I hear in this thread is the same forced bullshit. It's not like New Vegas, the only good and perfect Roleplaying Game in existence, therefore it's dumbed down thrash. Switch New Vegas to Morrowind and you'll get every Elder Scrolls complaint as well.
I've gone over this before...

Fallout 1:
overseer: "Everybody's going to die of thirst, GTFO and go find one."

Fallout 2:
village: "Your ancestor did something cool, now GTFO and do something like that, because we could die."

Fallout Tactics:
BoS: "We crashed the blimp and we don't have enough recruits to self-sustain. Go do missions and recruit people."

Fallout: BoS
BoS: "We are losing people - go find them!"

Fallout 3:
Dad: "I'm somewhere outside of your vault, doing cool poo poo. You ought to come find me and the cool poo poo."

Fallout NV:
the wide world: "You got shot and left for dead, and don't know who you are, or why you got shot. Go have fun!"

Fallout 4:
Codsworth: "I SIMPLY CANNOT BELIEVE THAT SHAUN IS MISSING AND YOUR SPOUSE WAS MURDERED IN FRONT OF YOU WHILE YOU WATCHED IMPOTENTLY - WE MUST FIND HIM IMMEDIATELY SIR/MISS, LET ME ACCOMPANY YOU AND TURN ON MY FLAMETHROWER SETTING!!!"

one of these things is not like the others. That's my entire point. It's not a dealbreaker but it really is a glaring dissonance in the game series' writing and motivations in literally every other iteration of the game, ever.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Internet Kraken posted:

Okay can you actually post examples of this because I'm pretty sure this is a load of crap. Usually you have one option to mention your kid and then a bunch of variations of other stuff like wandering around or scavenging.
I saw the first time you posted the same thing, and while I did start a new character yesterday, I doubt that I will have the time or patience to take screenshots from my xbox one and then upload them to the xbox website and then download those to my PC and then upload them to imgur just to show you.

But I probably will get around to doing a couple, regardless.

Cojawfee posted:

Edit: Actually, I want to play that game. You take your guy off on a different adventure from the main quest but the entire time he's crying and asking where Shaun is while clearing out raider dens.
Every time you jack up on jet or psycho your character begins yelling GIVE ME BACK MY SON!!!!

I would play that.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Fallout 3:
Dad: "I'm somewhere outside of your vault doing cool poo poo. You absolutely should not leave the vault to come find me." "gently caress YOU DAD, I'M COMING FOR YOUR COOL poo poo"

e: and this is just some rose coloured glasses or something here anyway, fallout 3 provided more backstory than any of them for your character given that you had to play through growing up even, and on top of it all half the dialogue choices along the main quest line are all "have you seen this man, I'm looking for my dad"

Azhais fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Dec 8, 2015

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Azhais posted:

He's a captive, he'll thank you and run off if you kill the mutants
She just kept walking when I picked the muties off in the name of the BROTHERHOOD OF STEEL, and when I caught up to her she just complained that her back and feet hurt.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Friar Zucchini posted:

So at level 54 I've just found the USS Constitution, but the lookout is dead and all I find is a bunch of robots that try to shoot me as soon as I get near. How do I undead that fucker and make them stop shooting at me so I can do the quest?
Did you bring Preston? I believe he'll force-aggro everybody, sorry.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

coyo7e posted:

I've gone over this before...

Honestly 2 is still the worst with you literally getting psychic dreams to yell at you to get the GECK at regular intervals to make sure you didn't forget the children's lives are in your hands.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

So there is DLC somewhere in the pipeline. I looked back at FO3 and Skyrim DLC and it kinda sucks. Why would anyone purchase a season pass?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Pwnstar posted:

Speaking of Morrowind, they did a good thing with the main quest where questgivers would tell you to go away and train up a bit before you move onto the next step of the mission or they need time to prepare something, which gave you to reason to go gently caress off and do random sidequests or pick flowers.
It also really tanks their sell values. :( But I use some drugs in real-time via the weapon-swap wheel, so being able to combine injections is handy at times.

Also Grape/Orange Mentats holy poo poo

• Locked thread