Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

zoux posted:

We live in a country where a police officer could raise a million dollars in a day for executing an unarmed black kids, the old conventional wisdom about donor bases and fundraising are obsolete.

Did that money come from a SuperPAC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Bip Roberts posted:

But the contrapositive of that checks out.

Edit:
Take all things, suppose that the set that aren't guns is the same as the set that aren't planes. This implies that what's leftover for both is the same thus guns = planes.
I need to brush up on my Quine :negative:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Goddamn it will some one tell me if guns are loving planes or not

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

zoux posted:

Yes, the babies are war planes.

CalmDownMate
Dec 3, 2015

by Shine

Lol why yes justice kennedy is the godfather of progressivism as opposed to say FDR, Wilson, or Teddy.

loving LOL. I can count on my hand the number of progressive politicians there have been in the last 30 years.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

The Iron Rose posted:

Yes, this is legitimately what we should do.

We should be subtly support moderate clerics while targeting extremists. We should be investing in infrastructure, healthcare, education while bombing as many members of extremist or terrorist groups as possible.

Exactly. We're not going to be way to bomb radical Islam away. What we must do is provide a credible alternative that supports USG interests and secures a more stable future.

It also doesn't help when the people screaming loudest about how the ME needs to reject religious extremism are also calling for the US to embrace it. :smith:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

CalmDownMate posted:

Lol why yes justice kennedy is the godfather of progressivism as opposed to say FDR, Wilson, or Teddy.

loving LOL. I can count on my hand the number of progressive politicians there have been in the last 30 years.

Ted Kennedy, architect of No Child Left Behind.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

zoux posted:

SuperPACs and billionaire donors sponsoring vanity candidates have seriously blunted the donor base that traditionally influences primaries.

We live in a country where a police officer could raise a million dollars in a day for executing an unarmed black kids, the old conventional wisdom about donor bases and fundraising are obsolete.

Unless the SuperPACs and billionaire donors can build up a veto-proof majority, they are never going to achieve any of the larger ambitions they may have.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

TyrantWD posted:

Unless the SuperPACs and billionaire donors can build up a veto-proof majority, they are never going to achieve any of the larger ambitions they may have.

Probably not but progressives are never going to achieve anything ever if they don't stop only caring about the presidency, because that PAC money slays in downticket races.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

zoux posted:

Probably not but progressives are never going to achieve anything ever if they don't stop only caring about the presidency, because that PAC money slays in downticket races.

The problem is, a lot of the best candidates for down-ticket races in moderate and conservative parts of America are too moderate or conservative to interest the progressive donor class.

In a lot of red states the local Democratic Party is as much to blame as gerrymandering is.
\/

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

zoux posted:

Uhhh, they care, they've just been gerrymandered out of the game.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

TyrantWD posted:

rotflmao

CalmDownMate
Dec 3, 2015

by Shine
In order for progressives to achieve things they have to learn to use populost rhetoric. Bernie has done ok with it but he's not very interesting.

FDR lived, breathed, and died on that stuff.

The current progressive candidates are too smart to appeal to the population. In another country that wouldn't matter.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
The primary issue is non-Presidential elections (I'd say midterm but you get those weird ones like Virginia's gubernatorial election). The primary difference between Presidential & non-Presidential elections is turnout. The specific demographic difference in turnout is youth. Not income, not race (controlling for age, anyway), but youth.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

computer parts posted:

The primary issue is non-Presidential elections (I'd say midterm but you get those weird ones like Virginia's gubernatorial election). The primary difference between Presidential & non-Presidential elections is turnout. The specific demographic difference in turnout is youth. Not income, not race (controlling for age, anyway), but youth.

I knew I was justified in my hatred of millenials...

Bip Roberts posted:

Uhhh, they care, they've just been gerrymandered out of the game.

Lack of Democratic voter turnout in off year elections is well established.

Thank god Cruz has cracked this nut

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Dec 8, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

zoux posted:

Can someone cc this plan to Obama? I think it might help.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Mulva posted:

No, we must always be civil and not use words like liar, facist or racist; those are taboo.

gently caress that, it's high time we had a Joe Wilson moment with the latest GOP lying rear end in a top hat.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

CalmDownMate posted:

In order for progressives to achieve things they have to learn to use populost rhetoric. Bernie has done ok with it but he's not very interesting.

The current progressive candidates are too smart to appeal to the population. In another country that wouldn't matter.

noted pro-concentration camp progressive franklin delano roosevelt

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

zoux posted:

So Cruz approves of our current strategy. Awesome.:toot:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

CalmDownMate posted:

Yeah, and it worked out real well for black people didn't it

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

Yeah, and it worked out real well for black people didn't it

It's working even better for Muslims!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

New USA Today national poll:

Caveats about polling not mattering this far out but it matters in this way: everyone below Bush is likely at the kiddie table next week. Also adios Carson.

Same poll said that 68% of Trump supporters would follow him if he ran third-party. So, bet that.

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Dec 8, 2015

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

zoux posted:

If ISIS can reverse engineer this, we're done for.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Trump losing the primaries and running third party would give me a boner the size of a hypothetical Mexican border wall.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

zoux posted:

New USA Today national poll:

Caveats about polling not mattering this far out but it matters in this way: everyone below Bush is likely at the kiddie table next week. Also adios Carson.

Same poll said that 68% of Trump supporters would follow him if he ran third-party. So, bet that.

Looks like Republicans are in agreement with Fiorina that she's a lump of coal in the stocking.

weekly font posted:

Trump losing the primaries and running third party would give me a boner the size of a hypothetical Mexican border wall.

Also this.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

weekly font posted:

Hillary will laugh so hard that she unhinges her jaw, reveals her true reptilian form and swallows America whole, including Alaska.

May she have many young!

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

and how does the Iron Giant factor in to all this, Senator? It's flying around while openly claiming to not be a gun.

Furthermore, does this indicate that if the people working in the WTC on 9/11 had been concealed carrying their own planes, they would have been able to hold off the attackers? Additional research is probably needed.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

foobardog posted:

Hillary will laugh so hard that she unhinges her jaw, reveals her true reptilian form and swallows America whole, including Alaska.

May she have many young!

Imagine if Hillary winning 500 EVs due to a Trump third party run caused Republicans to bring an end to First Past the Post.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

*thunder crack*

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Imagine if Hillary winning 500 EVs due to a Trump third party run caused Republicans to bring an end to First Past the Post.

Don't make me dream please

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
So have we talked yet about the funding for Health Care of 9/11 first responders not being renewed?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

zoux posted:

*thunder crack*

And let's be honest, the GOP's field would be a mess of has bins and wannabe Trumps.

Do it Trump. Do it.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

zoux posted:

*thunder crack*

To be the devil on that shoulder.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

And let's be honest, the GOP's field would be a mess of has bins and wannabe Trumps.

Do it Trump. Do it.

Honestly it's just going to make the RNC do less to oppose him then they would otherwise. It's extremely doubtful the Republicans take the WH with Trump as the nominee, but it's all but impossible with him as a third party. Assuming polling is accurate, he's drawing about 10% of the general electorate, probably almost all of whom are Republicans.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

So have we talked yet about the funding for Health Care of 9/11 first responders not being renewed?

well surely if we just vote for the lesser evil next time this will be rectified

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

zoux posted:

*thunder crack*

I feel as though you could replace this tweet with "Dear GOP: I win or else" and it'd be no less subtle.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
You know what America needs in these trying times? QVC, but for guns.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

zoux posted:

*thunder crack*

Hey I'm a little rusty, what's the appropriate blood sacrifice in this case?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

zoux posted:

Honestly it's just going to make the RNC do less to oppose him then they would otherwise. It's extremely doubtful the Republicans take the WH with Trump as the nominee, but it's all but impossible with him as a third party. Assuming polling is accurate, he's drawing about 10% of the general electorate, probably almost all of whom are Republicans.

Pretty much, he couldn't win but then it would sabotage the GOP election as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

His twitter picture is so threatening I love it. It's like every tweet is an open and defiant challenge.

• Locked thread