Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Are the ten-bear-rear end kill/gather missions from the board necessary or worth doing or should I be looking elsewhere for stuff to do?

No, they're just sidestuff that you can set aside and go "Oh that enemy has a marker above it, let's kill it" while you're out doing actual missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Missions from the board seem to be mostly for clothes, which I'm totally okay with

But yeah, this game seems like it could've been amazing but wound up only good

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Ciaphas posted:

Are the ten-bear-rear end kill/gather missions from the board necessary or worth doing or should I be looking elsewhere for stuff to do?

I wandered into a gray tyrant segment yesterday--I think it was where you meet Tatsu--but never found any tyrant, just got killed a lot by purple con spiders. :(

I've been farming them a bit to raise affinity on my lesser used party members so I can get those special arts. For gathering missions I really wouldn't recommend taking them unless you've already got what they want or can buy them with your reward tickets.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Yeah a fun thing to do is to just scan the board and see which quests you can just complete immediately. Random quests in the world work like this too, I went into the residential district for the first time and ran into three quests where people just wanted junk from my pockets and I could complete them on the spot.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye
Game might not be perfect, but it has some drat fine views

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Ciaphas posted:

I wandered into a gray tyrant segment yesterday--I think it was where you meet Tatsu--but never found any tyrant, just got killed a lot by purple con spiders. :(

I feel like those missions are just filler fluff to net you more experience as you're moving through the story missions and/or general exploration. I just check it from time to time, and pick up the ones that apply to the location the latest story mission is sending me. Of course, there is the issue of each location being loving gigantic, so you never know if you'll be passing through the right area. I'm about 20 hours in on story mission 6, and I just recently stumbled upon an area in Primordia that applied to a mission I grabbed from the board in the first hour or so.

Also, unless I'm a doh-doh, there doesn't seem to be a way to abandon missions, and you can only carry 20 at a time, so... don't go grabbing every single mission lest you want to slog through mission after mission that you may or may not even be able to do at your level.

Looper posted:

Missions from the board seem to be mostly for clothes, which I'm totally okay with

But yeah, this game seems like it could've been amazing but wound up only good

This game reeks of Monolith going "the Xeno games have been around for so long, and it worked for Squeenix -- why don't we make a Xeno MMO?" but changed course late in development and made it a standard JRPG instead. I'm cool with this, though. It reminds me vividly of everything I liked (and disliked) about the Phantasy Star Online games. If you can keep a secret... this game is actually Phantasy Star Online 2

enojy fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 8, 2015

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Haha great turnout tonight but lemme tell you- I just swam to Sylvalum and boy my arms are tired!
:suicide:

Also I keep hearing that there are nopon to talk to with Tatsu or something but I'm doing chapter 6 and I haven't seen any yet

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is the preferred starting division still Reclaimers for the increased drops? Is there some benefit to doing something like Pathfinding and scouting a shitload and then switching over and "continuing" the game as normal? (for Solo Play, still can't figure out if the bonus applies to solo play, no consensus on it)

I've heard you can cheese some of the Pathfinding by cloaking and running deep into high-level zones.

I started as a reclaimer for the same reasons, but keep getting conflicting info on whether or not YOU get that increased drop rate or YOUR MP PARTY gets the increased drop rate. I'm still not sure, but if that's the case, I'd switch to the collectors since I'm still early on in the game so I'm collecting blue drops like mad and dropping probes everywhere, and can probably bomb the collectopedia for a bunch of BLADE exp. Except I can't find where to switch divisions (is it story-gated?)

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
So I'm a big dumb dumb who apparently needs things spelled out.

I cleared my HD and it had 25GB free. Not thinking ahead and completely misunderstanding the OP, I got the 23GB install and thought all would be well. It's now miraculously installing despite there being 2 GB left. 30 minutes to go. Is the install process smart enough to delete itself as it goes, or am I headed up poo poo creek?

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Dec 8, 2015

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Where do I start the mission Flight Module? All of the guides out there say that the NPC is located in the Industrial District, but I can't find him there. There seems to be changes from the Japanese version where NPCs have changed locations in the American version. So some of the guides out there have information that isn't correct for us.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

enojy posted:

Also, unless I'm a doh-doh, there doesn't seem to be a way to abandon missions, and you can only carry 20 at a time, so... don't go grabbing every single mission lest you want to slog through mission after mission that you may or may not even be able to do at your level

You can drop those missions from the board.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

enojy posted:

I feel like those missions are just filler fluff to net you more experience as you're moving through the story missions and/or general exploration. I just check it from time to time, and pick up the ones that apply to the location the latest story mission is sending me. Of course, there is the issue of each location being loving gigantic, so you never know if you'll be passing through the right area. I'm about 20 hours in on story mission 6, and I just recently stumbled upon an area in Primordia that applied to a mission I grabbed from the board in the first hour or so.

Also, unless I'm a doh-doh, there doesn't seem to be a way to abandon missions, and you can only carry 20 at a time, so... don't go grabbing every single mission lest you want to slog through mission after mission that you may or may not even be able to do at your level.

This game reeks of Monolith going "the Xeno games have been around for so long, and it worked for Squeenix -- why don't we make a Xeno MMO?" but changed course late in development and made it a standard JRPG instead. I'm cool with this, though. It reminds me vividly of everything I liked (and disliked) about the Phantasy Star Online games. If you can keep a secret... this game is actually Phantasy Star Online 2

You can't abandon regular missions or affinity missions, but you can abandon simple missions by selecting them on the board when you're looking at it.

I'm trying to level up the affinity with some of my lesser used party members, and man, I don't know how I didn't catch it the first time, but it's HILARIOUS how HB prefaces each of his art callouts with "Superior". So he doesn't just say "WILD DOWN!" like everyone else, no, he has to be a special snowflake and call out "SUPERIOR WILD DOWN!"

I also like how, at least so far as I've tried, every possible pair of characters has at least one banter talk that they can do sometimes at battle end. I'm pretty sure I've heard Elma and Irina have two but I could be mistaken and there's just one each. Still pretty neat.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I finally got my skell. Are there any obscure "gotchas" I should know about? I think I saw reading that the one they give you is really bad and you should get a new one ASAP at 30 but that's it.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Haha great turnout tonight but lemme tell you- I just swam to Sylvalum and boy my arms are tired!
:suicide:

Also I keep hearing that there are nopon to talk to with Tatsu or something but I'm doing chapter 6 and I haven't seen any yet

I found one in the residential or commercial district, did not do anything, was just some nopon sitting around like a normal npc you can talk to.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I finally got my skell. Are there any obscure "gotchas" I should know about? I think I saw reading that the one they give you is really bad and you should get a new one ASAP at 30 but that's it.

Lailah's vehicle mode feels like driving on ice while the rest are all fairly acceptable.

It bugged me enough I took a 100,000 credit bath and sold it back to buy the other Medium Skell.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Donnerberg posted:

So I'm a big dumb dumb who apparently needs things spelled out.

I cleared my HD and it had 25GB free. Not thinking ahead and completely misunderstanding the OP, I got the 23GB install and thought all would be well. It's now miraculously installing despite there being 2 GB left. 30 minutes to go. Is the install process smart enough to delete itself as it goes, or am I headed up poo poo creek?

If it says there's enough room to download it there's enough room to install it.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Infinity Gaia posted:

I also like how, at least so far as I've tried, every possible pair of characters has at least one banter talk that they can do sometimes at battle end. I'm pretty sure I've heard Elma and Irina have two but I could be mistaken and there's just one each. Still pretty neat.

I love Lin and Alexa's the best.

"Have you gotten your tickets to the Skell show yet?"
"They've gone on sale?!? I have to get one when we get back!"

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Sakurazuka posted:

If it says there's enough room to download it there's enough room to install it.

Cool, thanks! I thought something was wrong since it's pretty slow.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Aha, one of the psycho launcher moves has you do a psycho crusher :swoon:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

So how do i level up my weapons? I swear I saw someone doing it in a video, but I haven't figured it out. Tangentially related, that long normal quest that you can get at the shop stand where Y hangs out is important, it creates a machine that lets you add slots to your gear

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Moon Monster posted:

So how do i level up my weapons? I swear I saw someone doing it in a video, but I haven't figured it out. Tangentially related, that long normal quest that you can get at the shop stand where Y hangs out is important, it creates a machine that lets you add slots to your gear

In the administration district, across the street from the barracks on the right, you'll see a terminal that lets you do this. It's also buy the terminal where you can buy and sell stuff.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Fhqwhgads posted:

I started as a reclaimer for the same reasons, but keep getting conflicting info on whether or not YOU get that increased drop rate or YOUR MP PARTY gets the increased drop rate. I'm still not sure, but if that's the case, I'd switch to the collectors since I'm still early on in the game so I'm collecting blue drops like mad and dropping probes everywhere, and can probably bomb the collectopedia for a bunch of BLADE exp. Except I can't find where to switch divisions (is it story-gated?)

You can change it inside your barracks, immediately. It's at a terminal in a room off to one side.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Is there any way to pause besides going to the manual? Also, I wish finding new equipment was not garbage 99% of the time. I think I am still using a level 7 rifle when I am level 18, just because it does more damage due to having ranged damage II or I or whatever, compared to any level 12 or 15 rifle I find.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Pain of Mind posted:

Is there any way to pause besides going to the manual? Also, I wish finding new equipment was not garbage 99% of the time. I think I am still using a level 7 rifle when I am level 18, just because it does more damage due to having ranged damage II or I or whatever, compared to any level 12 or 15 rifle I find.

you can press the home button or to go basically any menu to pause. and each tier of weapons in the shop should have at least one with attack up.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Infinity Gaia posted:

I don't know whether I love or hate this May character. Although I can't really judge her impossible luck, as I also happened to find a random cave on the shore of Oblivia with like ten million collectibles and level 5 mechanical treasure. Marked that one down mentally for later. Way later.

Can anyone be more specific as to where this is? I'm almost 30% with Oblivia and have found zero bagfleas.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

PRADA SLUT posted:

You can change it inside your barracks, immediately. It's at a terminal in a room off to one side.

Awesome, now does anyone know the answer to that first part, though? If Reclaimers don't actually get that drop rate improvement for themselves I'm going to, well, drop them :v:

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

katkillad2 posted:

Can anyone be more specific as to where this is? I'm almost 30% with Oblivia and have found zero bagfleas.

can't help with the cave but my advice is to keep fast traveling to dorian caravan and grabbing the five or so crystals that spawn there.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

enojy posted:

This is exactly what I did without realizing there's no abandon and since I'm only just starting Ch4 I'm kind of compelled to restart the game entirely and just cutscene-skip my way back

OCD is a bitch

(edit)

Infinity Gaia posted:

You can't abandon regular missions or affinity missions, but you can abandon simple missions by selecting them on the board when you're looking at it.
Oh hey OCD crisis averted

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Ciaphas posted:

This is exactly what I did without realizing there's no abandon and since I'm only just starting Ch4 I'm kind of compelled to restart the game entirely and just cutscene-skip my way back

OCD is a bitch

Go back to the board, you can drop missions there.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Weather damage is loving moronic and doubly so that it interrupts survey stuff.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You can place probes while in a skell, assuming you are that far. If not, button mash faster.

Doesn't seem to work with salvage though.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

So is it basically impossible to get a conquest squad together for the multiman missions? Never seen it successfully pull more than two other people.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Sedisp posted:

So is it basically impossible to get a conquest squad together for the multiman missions? Never seen it successfully pull more than two other people.

i've had 3 people once. i'm sure people will start doing the multiplayer more once the game's been out for a while.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is there a way to register equipment sets or would that be too convenient for this game.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Looper posted:

do they sound like that in japanese too

yes they do, they sound like Alvin and the Chipmunks speaking Japanese.

Also cutting the "head" off of a Milesaur is not a good idea. The real head erupts out of the chest and it's attack power gets boosted by 500%.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Inflammatory posted:

i've had 3 people once. i'm sure people will start doing the multiplayer more once the game's been out for a while.
There doesn't seem to be a lot of reason to do multiplayer at the moment beside wanting to play with your friends. I assume that changes when you are fishing for upgrades at the level cap so we can look forward to more pick up groups working when people start reaching it sometime next year.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The Taint Reaper posted:

yes they do, they sound like Alvin and the Chipmunks speaking Japanese.

Also cutting the "head" off of a Milesaur is not a good idea. The real head erupts out of the chest and it's attack power gets boosted by 500%.

That sounds absolutely horrifying. I'm still really far away from being able to even survive a Milesaur attack, much less cut off its head, however.

Some of the Treasure survery marks on the map seem really really weird. I swear I've been all over this Gangliano base hex in Oblivia and no sign of the telltale yellow square has shown up. I can only assume it's in some mysterious underground section somewhere.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Oh, something I have found out people should keep in mind since people in general are getting Skells now.

If you want to use the two unique level 30 Skells that were DLC in Japan you have to do both of Boze and HB's affinity missions respectively. They're pretty cool, but they have no higher level counterparts so they're pretty useless once you hit 50.

Alexa also unlocks a Skell design behind her quests, but its a level 60.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Man how are people finding all of these party members, I'm in chapter 7 and I only have the characters the game's given me via story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Calaveron posted:

Man how are people finding all of these party members, I'm in chapter 7 and I only have the characters the game's given me via story

In the Administration District is a terminal where you can pick up NPCs of characters that players have created, up to level 60.

• Locked thread