Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

DemeaninDemon posted:

Last couple pages have been amazing.

Love the tripping all over to declare Trump anything but a fascist.

yeah i've read like 4 articles over the past few days asking "is trump a fascist" and every single one has been too chickenshit to come out and say the words, settling instead on sinister allusions and implication

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

foobardog posted:

As others have said, it's not happened yet, but it'd most definitely be OK for Ted Cruz, which really makes the whole birther movement even more stupid, because it would apply even if Obama was born in Kenya, since his mother was American for sure, and thus so is B-Rock the Islamic Shock.

It was wondered about for McCain, who was born in the Panama Canal Zone, and Goldwater, who was born in Arizona before it became a state, but most who looked into it concluded that it must mean that if you had citizenship at birth, you count.

Well yeah, you were natural-born, and didn't need to be naturalized later on.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

FAUXTON posted:

Well yeah, you were natural-born, and didn't need to be naturalized later on.

I honestly think the more interesting question is if that provision would even be enforced. I mean, imagine if a known naturalized citizen won a major party primary and then won the popular vote and the electoral college. Now, would the court even take the case, or would they leave it to the political process? I mean, isn't that why people can serve in the reserves/national guard while still being in congress? Because the court just doesn't think that it's their place to administer those rules?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

fade5 posted:

Walker, Fiorina, Jeb!, and Carson have all followed the 2012 election style of gaining interest, peaking, and crashing.

Also note how long Trump has been leading.:unsmigghh:

That Carson drop, though. :allears:

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

icantfindaname posted:

yeah i've read like 4 articles over the past few days asking "is trump a fascist" and every single one has been too chickenshit to come out and say the words, settling instead on sinister allusions and implication

well you wouldn't want to godwin the guy who's said he's okay with being compared to hitler

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

zoux posted:

MMM now this is the kind of content I live for.

Ahahah

Rand definitely got the Wire Mother inside the Paul family Skinner box.

I knew Ron was an rear end in a top hat, but holy poo poo what a terrible person.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

xrunner posted:

I honestly think the more interesting question is if that provision would even be enforced. I mean, imagine if a known naturalized citizen won a major party primary and then won the popular vote and the electoral college. Now, would the court even take the case, or would they leave it to the political process? I mean, isn't that why people can serve in the reserves/national guard while still being in congress? Because the court just doesn't think that it's their place to administer those rules?

I think it would have been dealt with before they got that far, as while people waffle on those not born on American soil, they are pretty certain about naturalized citizens. It at least kept Alexander Hamilton from pursuing it back in the early days, and Schwarzenegger was pretty certain he couldn't. You'd more likely see such a person need to get the Constitution amended and then run, rather than just force the issue by running and seeing what the Supreme Court says.

e: And I think unless the Court is filled with partisans that would make Scalia blush, they'd find that it does bar naturalized citizens. At best they could say that the naturalization process literally means that, and then it basically loses all meaning as a requirement.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I'm pretty sure there's enough documented cases online of me being somewhat reasonable and not at all racist that Trump would label me as a "terrorist sympathizer" and send 8 SWAT teams after me. If he wins the election I'm gonna go underground. Both figuratively and literally. I hear the mole people have a far more enlightened society than ours, I think I'll take my chances with them.

Seriously though, best case scenario is that literally nobody in Congress will ever back his policies and we will have 4 years of complete stagnation while the nation's senile great uncle reads his racist forwarded E-Mails to us all 24/7.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Paul Ryan's beard looks dumb and he should shave it off. This is the main politics things I learned today.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Sydin posted:

What even happened to Fiorina? She went from dark horse to nobody, and without any major catalyzing event as the cause. Did the GOP base just remember at last that they actually hate women?

She was always the "token woman for free no-sexism Hillary attacks" candidate, literally propped up by the other campaigns to keep her in the running. After the first debate's hit on Trump utterly failed, she became the "not-trump" ceo-type to try and siphon away his votes. As with everything else in her professional life, Fiorina screwed that up too and the media lost interest, hitting upon the gentle soft spoken Friend Ben.

Rubio and Cruz are gunning to be the next not-Trump, though both are genre-aware enough to know that they don't want to be next just yet.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

icantfindaname posted:

Were in a weird media environment where making a definitive statement is seen as being too biased and divisive. Hell Diane Rehm on NPR got pissed off at Rick Perlstein because he called out Grover Norquist for lying.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Augus posted:

I'm pretty sure there's enough documented cases online of me being somewhat reasonable and not at all racist that Trump would label me as a "terrorist sympathizer" and send 8 SWAT teams after me. If he wins the election I'm gonna go underground. Both figuratively and literally. I hear the mole people have a far more enlightened society than ours, I think I'll take my chances with them.

Seriously though, best case scenario is that literally nobody in Congress will ever back his policies and we will have 4 years of complete stagnation while the nation's senile great uncle reads his racist forwarded E-Mails to us all 24/7.

don't worry, i'm sure if you just smile and follow your orders the fash'll leave you alone until it's time to hit the brics and start conscripting roman citizens to aid in the war effort

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

foobardog posted:

I think it would have been dealt with before they got that far, as while people waffle on those not born on American soil, they are pretty certain about naturalized citizens. It at least kept Alexander Hamilton from pursuing it back in the early days, and Schwarzenegger was pretty certain he couldn't. You'd more likely see such a person need to get the Constitution amended and then run, rather than just force the issue by running and seeing what the Supreme Court says.

e: And I think unless the Court is filled with partisans that would make Scalia blush, they'd find that it does bar naturalized citizens. At best they could say that the naturalization process literally means that, and then it basically loses all meaning as a requirement.

I agree it almost certainly wouldn't happen, it's just an interesting hypothetical especially when talking to birther types (it blows their mind when you start talking about the potential that the natural born clause might not even get enforced). And it's not that I think the court would rule on it and find in favor of the political choice of the country, rather, I think they'd decline to rule at all in deference to the political process, especially if it was a fairly large margin of victory. Plus, how would they enforce it? That would create a pretty awesome constitutional crisis with the Chief Justice refusing to swear in the elected president. :) Fun times!

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

xrunner posted:

I wonder how bad the reaction would be if a lame duck president signs into law a bill that states "Natural-born means from birth, naturalization doesn't count" that disqualifies the guy that won from the opposing party. Would a new election be held or would second place get the win? I understand this would probably never happen, at least not in my lifetime. These things just interest me.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Joementum posted:

Hard to believe that Ron Paul might be a bit unhinged, but here we are.

We're an unhinged nation. Treating others with malice or disdain is a choice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVN_Fuu-AFE

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Jeb's caught on

Jeb Bush Twatted posted:

‏@JebBush Jeb Bush Retweeted Donald J. Trump
Maybe Donald negotiated a deal with his buddy @HillaryClinton. Continuing this path will put her in the White House.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

xrunner posted:

I agree it almost certainly wouldn't happen, it's just an interesting hypothetical especially when talking to birther types (it blows their mind when you start talking about the potential that the natural born clause might not even get enforced). And it's not that I think the court would rule on it and find in favor of the political choice of the country, rather, I think they'd decline to rule at all in deference to the political process, especially if it was a fairly large margin of victory. Plus, how would they enforce it? That would create a pretty awesome constitutional crisis with the Chief Justice refusing to swear in the elected president. :) Fun times!

I think the issue would just force them to answer, the other party is not going to sulk off, and it would be solved in November-December like Bush v. Gore. If the elected president is found not to be eligible, they'll have to decide if it's worth trying to make a coup, and I think like Adams after Washington, they'll be convinced to wait and seek to amend the Constitution.

But yes, it'll be a fun ride.

My "interesting times" Constitutional Crisis is that I really want to see someone force the issue about Constitutional Conventions, because we need one, and while they say it has to be for an exact reason, we've had enough states support one for one reason or another. It'll also be the biggest poo poo show seen on Earth, with conservatives trying to require daily prayer to Jesus Christ and liberals adding everything as a protected class.

It would be my jam.

limp_cheese posted:

I wonder how bad the reaction would be if a lame duck president signs into law a bill that states "Natural-born means from birth, naturalization doesn't count" that disqualifies the guy that won from the opposing party. Would a new election be held or would second place get the win? I understand this would probably never happen, at least not in my lifetime. These things just interest me.

It'd have to be the Congress and the President, who are recognized as generally having that right to determine citizenship, and the 14th is then proffered as what Constitutional limitations are on that. It's most certain how they would decide, but there is definitely an argument to be made there, and that's what law is all about. And until it happens, the Supreme Court can't say what they'd say.

foobardog fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Dec 9, 2015

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Mulva posted:

Were in a weird media environment where making a definitive statement is seen as being too biased and divisive. Hell Diane Rehm on NPR got pissed off at Rick Perlstein because he called out Grover Norquist for lying.

yeah, it's just completely baffling and unprecedented how the major respectable media corporations, owned by a handful of incredibly rich people, seem to rarely, if ever, make definitive statements on issues which affect individuals who, one way or another, also tend to advance the interests of those same rich people

CalmDownMate
Dec 3, 2015

by Shine

Ernie Muppari posted:

like how hitler wrecked the dap in 1920 :v:

In the long term yes.

Or did world war 2 not happen in this strange alternate universe of yours.

We could only hope for the US to be humiliated so greatly that they fear all nationalism and the image of our flag is banned from being displayed for the future.

Hitler worked very well for the Germans and produced desirable results that I would like to see happen to america..

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Ernie Muppari posted:

yeah, it's just completely baffling and unprecedented how the major respectable media corporations, owned by a handful of incredibly rich people, seem to rarely, if ever, make definitive statements on issues which affect individuals who, one way or another, also tend to advance the interests of those same rich people

NPR being the exception that proves the rule to you?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Oh hello Breitbart

Breitbart posted:

TEL AVIV – Palestinian terrorist organizations did not take kindly to Donald Trump’s call for a “total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States until our country’s representatives can figure out what is going on.”

Responding to Trump’s proposal, Ismail Radwan, a Hamas leader and spokesman in Gaza, told Breitbart Jerusalem: “We do not estimate that the current U.S. administration, any administration, will implement these racist suggestions. This is a pathetic attempt to attribute terror exclusively to Muslims.”

http://www.breitbart.com/immigration/2015/12/08/exclusive-hamas-lectures-trump-on-shutdown-islam-is-religion-of-peace-opposes-bloodshed/

Never change

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

NPR being the exception that proves the rule to you?

Tote bags have never completely funded NPR, they still get donations from major corporations, who are often referred to in not-ads just like on PBS.

e: 19% of donations from a quick Google: http://www.npr.org/about-npr/178660742/public-radio-finances

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Another poll out, this one PPP

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2015/12/trump-getting-stronger-in-nc-islamophobia-helps-fuel-that-strength.html

quote:

PPP's new North Carolina poll finds Donald Trump at his highest level of support in the state yet. He's at 33% to 16% for Ted Cruz, 14% each for Ben Carson and Marco Rubio, 5% for Jeb Bush, 4% for Chris Christie, 3% for John Kasich, 2% each for Carly Fiorina, Mike Huckabee, and Rand Paul, 1% each for Lindsey Graham and Rick Santorum, and less than 1% each for Jim Gilmore and George Pataki.

When Trump led in our July North Carolina poll it was the first poll to find him leading the GOP pack anywhere in the country. Since then he's increased his support in every poll- from that 16% starting point in July he went to 24% in August, 26% in September, 31% in October, and now this 33% standing in December. Trump is also broadly popular with Republicans in the Tar Heel state- his 63/26 favorability rating puts him behind only Carson (64/23) and is improved from 52/35 on our last poll.

Trump's Islamophobia is a central feature of his appeal to his supporters:

-67% of his voters support a national database of Muslims in the United States, to only 14% opposed to it.

-62% believe his claims that thousands of Arabs cheered in New Jersey when the World Trade Center collapsed, to only 15% who don't believe that.

-51% want to see the Mosques in the country shut down, to only 16% against that.

-And only 24% of Trump supporters in the state even think Islam should be legal at all in the United States, to 44% who think it shouldn't be.

Although these ideas are certainly most commonly held by Trump supporters, they're not unique within the North Carolina GOP base:

-Overall 48% want a national database of Muslims to 33% who are opposed. Ted Cruz's (43/31) and Marco Rubio's supporters (38/36) join Trump's in their support for that idea while Carson's (34/51) are opposed.

-Overall 42% think thousands of Arabs cheered in New Jersey on 9/11 to 26% who don't think that happened. Cruz supporters (47/12) and Carson supporters narrowly (27/22) agree with Trump's that that happened while Rubio's (31/45) don't think it did.

-Overall 35% want to shut down the mosques in the United States to 33% who are opposed. Cruz supporters (41/28) again join Trump's in supporting that while Carson's (26/34) and Rubio's (29/45) are opposed.

-GOP voters as a whole (41/32) do at least think Islam should be legal in the United States. Trump's the only major candidate whose supporters are against that- Cruz's (37/30), Carson's (52/27), and Rubio's (52/16) all think Islam should be allowed.

Again, conducted prior to yesterday's "policy statement" but in keeping with what we know about Republicans

CalmDownMate
Dec 3, 2015

by Shine

Sir Tonk posted:

I knew Ron was an rear end in a top hat, but holy poo poo what a terrible person.

Why exactly is Ron beholden to supporting his Son?

Rand was always more establishment; less libertarian; more conservative, and less about the central ideologies that made up what Ron spoke about.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

foobardog posted:

I think it would have been dealt with before they got that far, as while people waffle on those not born on American soil, they are pretty certain about naturalized citizens. It at least kept Alexander Hamilton from pursuing it back in the early days, and Schwarzenegger was pretty certain he couldn't.

I am pretty sure the other half of that clause actually would have allowed Hamilton to become President. It would be a bit hard for anyone to qualify that way these days unless they were a zombie, vampire, lich or ghost, though.

CalmDownMate
Dec 3, 2015

by Shine

Fried Chicken posted:

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2015/12/trump-getting-stronger-in-nc-islamophobia-helps-fuel-that-strength.html

Again, conducted prior to yesterday's "policy statement" but in keeping with what we know about Republicans

The poll demonstrates that they are so departed from reality that the only solution to the problem is a war. Like the Germans spirit were destroyed by the firebombing of Dresden and the public trials of their beloved public figures and the revelation of the holocaust and the Japanese by the nuking of Nagasaki and Hiroshima and the permanent bases set up within their territories.

They remind me of another organization full of people who are similarly deluded. Unfortunately they function in more arid regions.

CalmDownMate fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Dec 9, 2015

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
If anything he's going to probably see a surge in the polls and reminder the debates are next week on CNN. So yeah, he's going to ride this poo poo out.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Fried Chicken posted:

:911: Religious Freedoms!! as long as it's my religion :911:

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I am pretty sure the other half of that clause actually would have allowed Hamilton to become President. It would be a bit hard for anyone to qualify that way these days unless they were a zombie, vampire, lich or ghost, though.

He had plenty of time and opportunity to do so, I really think he would have if he thought he could have. Instead, he tried to mostly manipulate things from the cabinet. I mean why play games in 1796 or 1800 if you're eligible, hate John Adams, and want to get ahead? I guess he could have recognized he had more power with less visibility in his spot, but I don't know.

I do think you're right, he could have been supported as eligible by the second clause. Yeah, you're probably right. Hamilton is a cunning cat...

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
The Nazi comparisons are in bad taste and people should honestly know better.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
^ Patriotism is Nationalism and Socialism

CalmDownMate posted:

Hitler worked very well for the Germans and produced desirable results that I would like to see happen to america..

:eyepop:

Are you a Maoist Third Worldist?

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

zoux posted:

So Fox and Friends had a guy on today who teaches kids how to go full Carson on active shooters.
http://mediamatters.org/embed/static/clips/2015/12/08/43667/fnc-ff-20151208-activeshooter

The Junior Human Shield Brigade.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I always thought the "best"(if you could take the dude down) was to hide behind the door/blind spot to the door then try to jump this shooter, then try to choke him out or bash his skull in with something heavy. not this batman krav maga poo poo.

Last nights Fargo confirms this. It is a true story, after all. :v:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
http://www.theonion.com/article/joh...eview:1:Default

The photo is the best:

"John Roberts Delivers Finishing Blow To Stephen Breyer To Defend Title Of Chief Justice"

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

The photo is the best:

"John Roberts Delivers Finishing Blow To Stephen Breyer To Defend Title Of Chief Justice"

"I am the law."

CalmDownMate
Dec 3, 2015

by Shine

McDowell posted:

^ Patriotism is Nationalism and Socialism

:eyepop:

Are you a Maoist Third Worldist?

The initial results were bad. But the final results are improved. If Trump comes to power as a Fascist president I do not doubt we will see a global war and him lose it. And our patriotism destroyed.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Bip Roberts posted:

"I am the law."

Maybe in the post-scarcity society, wrestling and politics will fuse, bringing increased legitimacy to both sectors.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

CommieGIR posted:

The photo is the best:

This article is bullshit.

RBG would have beaten the poo poo out of Roberts by now to become chief justice. :colbert:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Well I guess its a good thing he's not going to be president (still going to win the nomination).

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

lol if you don't think Sotomayor ends up with that belt via TKO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

limp_cheese posted:

One thing that certainly could not happen would be to give "second place the win". To be elected president the constitution requires a candidate to have received a majority of all electoral votes.

• Locked thread