Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Since it seems like everyone else is posting their anime dress-up, here's Anya:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

The guide useful at all?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

I said come in! posted:

Quests will auto complete. The moranium you don't need to collect yourself, you get it automatically from probes. Just make sure you have the storage units placed on the map to get the amount you want. There's a quest for example that asks for 10,000 moranium, I couldn't complete it because in total I could only hold 6000 units, placed some storage units down and got up to 21,000 moranium so I was able to complete the quest.

Where and how do you place storage units? Honestly I'm probably a bit early in the game still but the game doesn't do a good job of easing you into these elements or making it clear how they work.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

numerrik posted:

The guide useful at all?

I've been hearing mixed things, but someone put up pictures of the collection pages.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Louisgod posted:

Where and how do you place storage units? Honestly I'm probably a bit early in the game still but the game doesn't do a good job of easing you into these elements or making it clear how they work.

When you place a marker at those beacons of light around the gameworld, you'll then be able to use the gamepad on the map of the world to place probes. These probes can give you money (research), moranium (production), or bonuses to both. Storage probes give you bonuses to how much moranium total you can auto collect from your production probes. Place storage probes by each other as this will give you a stacking bonus.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

I said come in! posted:

When you place a marker at those beacons of light around the gameworld, you'll then be able to use the gamepad on the map of the world to place probes. These probes can give you money (research), moranium (production), or bonuses to both. Storage probes give you bonuses to how much moranium total you can auto collect from your production probes. Place storage probes by each other as this will give you a stacking bonus.

GOT IT, thank you! I've been placing like probes next to each other but don't think I have a storage probe yet.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
My guide is supposed to arrive today but it hasn't even shipped, what the hell amazon

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Louisgod posted:

GOT IT, thank you! I've been placing like probes next to each other but don't think I have a storage probe yet.

The most important thing to look at is the letter grades. You want to place probes that have a production or research grade of A or S. Place your probes there first before you start going down to B and then C. If you want to remove a probe then replace it with a Basic Probe.

tidiox
Jul 22, 2007

Louisgod posted:

I think you get your first storage probe from completing the second or third story mission. In general they seem gated by story progress, but I'm still early in the game. Also, you should do Kristy's missions if you haven't already; her whole questline is meant to teach you about the different probe types and rewards you with a bunch of them.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Louisgod posted:

Any place you've put a data mining probe(those beams of light where you mash A) you can tap it's hex on the map at any time to view the probe then tap change probe to install a different type.

There's a side mission you can take from a lady in the admin district called the probe-fessional that walks you through the process and gets you some free probes, if recommend looking for her and taking that quest.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

greatn posted:

Any place you've put a data mining probe(those beams of light where you mash A) you can tap it's hex on the map at any time to view the probe then tap change probe to install a different type.

There's a side mission you can take from a lady in the admin district called the probe-fessional that walks you through the process and gets you some free probes, if recommend looking for her and taking that quest.

You actually have to do that quest to start a chapter. I think it's chapter 3.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

tidiox posted:

I think you get your first storage probe from completing the second or third story mission. In general they seem gated by story progress, but I'm still early in the game. Also, you should do Kristy's missions if you haven't already; her whole questline is meant to teach you about the different probe types and rewards you with a bunch of them.

Hers was the last mission I took last night before I nodded off (I'm old and have kids leave me alone), so now I have three probes to place in gently caress-off locations. Heavily contemplating divorce and abandoning my kids to finish the game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Your main focus early on should be to build up money. Not a problem just yet but skells are very expensive and you are going to run into a string of bad luck where they get one shot by level 60+ enemies. You can't avoid death in this game, it is going to come fast and often, especially in the later parts where everything is nasty as gently caress and big.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Is New LA the only place affinity missions are started? Chapter V is gated from me by some quest I've never heard of, I assume it's either an affinity or a follow-up. It's stupid as gently caress that you have to find them by scanning the map and clicking on every hex with a marker until you find the one you're looking for, but I can deal with it if I only have to worry about the New LA districts.

Edit: actually if some quest is a pre-req for a chapter quest, why isn't that quest itself a chapter? gently caress I dunno.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yes, thankfully affinity missions all begin in New LA. I would give up very quickly otherwise.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Tender Bender posted:

Is New LA the only place affinity missions are started? Chapter V is gated from me by some quest I've never heard of, I assume it's either an affinity or a follow-up. It's stupid as gently caress that you have to find them by scanning the map and clicking on every hex with a marker until you find the one you're looking for, but I can deal with it if I only have to worry about the New LA districts.

Edit: actually if some quest is a pre-req for a chapter quest, why isn't that quest itself a chapter? gently caress I dunno.

what's the name of the quest?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Oh my gosh Oblivia is super hard to survey due to crazy terrain and super aggressive and powerful indigens.
Gonna wait a while to do that L quest

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Inflammatory posted:

what's the name of the quest?

I'll have to check when I get home, something about friendship probably.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Tender Bender posted:

I'll have to check when I get home, something about friendship probably.
Googling says its Renewed Will affinity acceptable in the commercial district.

Google is already surprisingly apt for finding affinity quests and other quests (even without major spoilers but googler beware I guess) but you're still hosed for all but the most popular collectibles.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, that one's out in front of a cafe in the upper part of the commercial district.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I have the guide, and I mainly use it for the collection pages and as basically a physical manual.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So is the ramjet rifle any good? The 300TP a shot is nuts, but it does 1 damage and has 99 upgrade slots. You can't use L to add sockets to it. Is that all it is? Such a "could be great, but stays home and smokes pot all day long" weapon.

Like, I was gaining tp so fast I was literally chaining overdrives.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It's probably good if you're a cool Duelist that wants to Overdrive > Samurai Soul > Power Dive > Blossom Dance > Incendiary Blade.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there a "default best" way to build your companions? I have like 180 points to spend on them and haven't even touched it yet and I don't want to think that hard about these floating turds that follow me around.

e: Where can you see how much Miranium you have?

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Dec 9, 2015

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

PRADA SLUT posted:

e: Where can you see how much Miranium you have?

Press plus. It's on the bottom with your other currencies.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So is the ramjet rifle any good? The 300TP a shot is nuts, but it does 1 damage and has 99 upgrade slots. You can't use L to add sockets to it. Is that all it is? Such a "could be great, but stays home and smokes pot all day long" weapon.

Like, I was gaining tp so fast I was literally chaining overdrives.

it seems like it'd be good for a melee build but i dunno, experimenting in this game seems kinda time-consuming

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Looper posted:

it seems like it'd be good for a melee build but i dunno, experimenting in this game seems kinda time-consuming

If nothing else, apparently when you beat the game you unlock the Support Missions, which give you money, miranium, exp, affinity, class rank points, and (most importantly) a renewable source of BP.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Just a reminder - after every story quest, do a quick run around NLA districts. You'll usually find at least a couple new side quests marked with red question marks. Unlike affinity and story quests, you can complete these at your leisure.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Where do I get more storage probes? I've only got 4, they're chained up and getting bonuses, but now from exploring and surveying I've got more mining probes than I do storage space or even places to put the mining probes.

Also I should probably do chapter seven, but I need to get my dudes up to level 30 so we can skell. I'm running out of things to dump miranium in :ohdear:

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Dec 9, 2015

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
This game is real good, though I agree with a lot of the complaints. Starting an affinity mission a few levels over the recommended and having the boss one shot your dudes is a joke though.

This'll be cool to come back to a year or more after I've beat it and see what kinds of stuff you can do after dedicated nerds untangle all the systems.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Man Hope is insanely good if you're controlling a male character. Her soul voice reaction to getting buffed is to ask for a blue art, and gives you loving SUPERCHARGE II. Needless to say, my kill times have been lowered CONSIDERABLY due to this. She's also a pretty drat good healer and buffer, nice to have around.

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Are there any quests, besides the certification quest you do after chapter 6, that reward you with a skell? I just hit 30 and I want, like, all the anime robots now.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Echophonic posted:

I've been hearing mixed things, but someone put up pictures of the collection pages.

Thanks!

I said come in! posted:

Also good info, I did manage to figure all this out myself miraculously enough. The game doesn't really do that great of a job of teaching itself to you.

Regarding probes, do I understand the system correctly that if you swap out a probe for another one (e.g., change a research probe out for a mining one) the previous probe isn't destroyed, but returned to your inventory so you can redeploy it elsewhere?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Where do I get more storage probes? I've only got 4, they're chained up and getting bonuses, but now from exploring and surveying I've got more mining probes than I do storage space or even places to put the mining probes.

Also I should probably do chapter seven, but I need to get my dudes up to level 30 so we can skell. I'm running out of things to dump miranium in :ohdear:
Have you done the quest to unlock L's shop yet? He can take your miranium, all your miranium, to open augment slots in your items which is about as silly good as it sounds.

5er posted:

Regarding probes, do I understand the system correctly that if you swap out a probe for another one (e.g., change a research probe out for a mining one) the previous probe isn't destroyed, but returned to your inventory so you can redeploy it elsewhere?
That's correct, all you lose is the credits you use to place a probe which can be pretty hefty for high grades.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

zedprime posted:

Have you done the quest to unlock L's shop yet? He can take your miranium, all your miranium, to open augment slots in your items which is about as silly good as it sounds.

I'm about 24% explored oblivia, so no.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Infinity Gaia posted:

Man Hope is insanely good if you're controlling a male character. Her soul voice reaction to getting buffed is to ask for a blue art, and gives you loving SUPERCHARGE II. Needless to say, my kill times have been lowered CONSIDERABLY due to this. She's also a pretty drat good healer and buffer, nice to have around.

I didn't realize that it differed based on gender. That's pretty rough for Girl Squad.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

zedprime posted:

Googling says its Renewed Will affinity acceptable in the commercial district.

Google is already surprisingly apt for finding affinity quests and other quests (even without major spoilers but googler beware I guess) but you're still hosed for all but the most popular collectibles.

Cool, thanks! I'm hesitant to google stuff in games with stories since I've gotten burned multiple times by people dropping spoilers in like the first paragraph of a character's wiki entry.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

I said come in! posted:

Place storage probes by each other as this will give you a stacking bonus.

I just tried this and it's not true, the increase to storage capacity was the same as when the storage probes were not next to each other.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Something I like about the game's story is overhearing NPCs dropping little lore tidbits, like an NPC noting that Mims aren't based on their users real bodies, and that her real body weighs 200lbs. (Chapter 5 spoilers.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
They'll fix the text size, right? :ohdear:

• Locked thread