Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Trump might be right on Germany. They banned all Atoms power plants because THEY CAN BLOW UP LIKE NUKES OMGOMGOMG* so Germany then replaced that with solar**

* hahahahahahahah
**hahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahaha *burns more hydrocarbon locally or gets the power from other countries that burn hydrocarbons*

Also I just learned last night from The Daily Show that Trump wants to gently caress his stepdaughter. Wtf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

fishmech posted:

It would most significantly diminish voting power in rural areas that have population jumped up by having prisons though. Having 40,000 people locked up in your county's borders can and does lead to districts being drawable with far more rural voters, on the strength of having locked up a bunch of people who can't vote.

It's rather like counting slaves towards redistricting.

If only some Compromise could be reached.

tehllama
Apr 30, 2009

Hook, swing.

PhazonLink posted:

Trump might be right on Germany. They banned all Atoms power plants because THEY CAN BLOW UP LIKE NUKES OMGOMGOMG* so Germany then replaced that with solar**

* hahahahahahahah
**hahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahaha *burns more hydrocarbon locally or gets the power from other countries that burn hydrocarbons*

Also I just learned last night from The Daily Show that Trump wants to gently caress his stepdaughter. Wtf.

The real funny part is that France is mostly nuclear and exports a decent amount of energy to Germany. Also several of its nuclear plants are on the French-German border.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Joementum posted:

Lucas Baiano, the Michael Bay of political ads, who begged the Clinton campaign to hire him in 2008, out with a new attack ad on Hillary for America Rising PAC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj8heYJebHY

I've also noticed that the, "This cannot be an American fight" flub from Hillary at the last debate has made it into this and many other spots, as I predicted.

Runs too long and shows W as an example of 'leadership'. A Bad Ad.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Martin Shkreli is truly dedicated to being human garbage.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

poo poo head young republicans love listening to 90's era gangsta rap because they think it's an ironic juxtaposition as well as a cultural signifier of coolness to their peers.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Muscle Tracer posted:

For instance, until you understand all the ins and outs of burglary or drug distribution, preferably from real-world job experience, it would be wrong to condemn burglars and drug distributors' actions.

and now we're back to :rolleyes:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Senate is reauthorizing NCLB today, does anyone know if it got tweaked or what?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

zoux posted:

poo poo head young republicans love listening to 90's era gangsta rap because they think it's an ironic juxtaposition as well as a cultural signifier of coolness to their peers.

Playing ethnicky jazz
To parade your snazz
On your five-grand stereo
Braggin' that you know 
How the niggers feel cold
And the slum's got so much soul

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

zoux posted:

The Senate is reauthorizing NCLB today, does anyone know if it got tweaked or what?

NCLB basically is dead, the senate bill is a replacement which returns a bunch of policy making power to the states while keeping performance tracking for schools.

http://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2015/12/08/458844737/no-child-left-behind-an-obituary

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Is this about him jacking the Wu-Tang album?

e: Yes it is, missed that.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

The Iron Rose posted:

and now we're back to :rolleyes:

hey man, it's not my fault your lovely metaphor doesn't stand up to the remotest scrutiny

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

NCLB basically is dead, the senate bill is a replacement which returns a bunch of policy making power to the states while keeping performance tracking for schools.

http://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2015/12/08/458844737/no-child-left-behind-an-obituary

Haha so it keeps the worst part about it, sounds dope.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Muscle Tracer posted:

hey man, it's not my fault your lovely metaphor doesn't stand up to the remotest scrutiny

nah more that shitposting in defense of anti-intellectualism and bad faith interpretations is so profoundly lazy, ignorant, and dumb that I don't really see why you deserve anything but a pat on the head as a response.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Quorum posted:

A lot of people have fond memories of their first lovely job down at the local movie theater or what have you when they were 16. "Builds character" and stuff like that. You might be able to get people behind banning industrial work under 18, but there's no way in hell you'll ever get people behind banning farm labor-- too many rural teenagers grow up working on their parents' or a nearby farm. Even before sixteen, too. It's a weird grey area I don't think the law even looks at much.

They tried to do it in Canada and someone compared it to Stalin collectivizing the farms and killing the kulaks.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

They tried to do it in Canada and someone compared it to Stalin collectivizing the farms and killing the kulaks.

What did the opposition say.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

PhazonLink posted:

**hahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahaha

Solar's actually come an incredibly long way in the last decade (in large part because governments and corporations started investing legitimate amounts of money in it), to the point where it's actually getting reasonably competitive with more 'traditional' sources.

It's not a perfect replacement for an ideally modern nuclear system (nothing really is, but try getting people on board with that) but it's profoundly better than any of the alternatives that politicians will consider and it really isn't the "lol, solar" financial mistake that people would paint it as.

Comparing the solar tech on the market in 2015 to what was available even in 2008 is like comparing the livability and performance of a Tesla P90D to a GeeWiz and it's really unfortunate that public perception hasn't caught up with the advances (and that there are tons of interests vested in keeping it where it is).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Solar's actually come an incredibly long way in the last decade (in large part because governments and corporations started investing legitimate amounts of money in it), to the point where it's actually getting reasonably competitive with more 'traditional' sources.

It's not a perfect replacement for an ideally modern nuclear system (nothing really is, but try getting people on board with that) but it's profoundly better than any of the alternatives that politicians will consider and it really isn't the "lol, solar" financial mistake that people would paint it as.

Comparing the solar tech on the market in 2015 to what was available even in 2008 is like comparing the livability and performance of a Tesla P90D to a GeeWiz and it's really unfortunate that public perception hasn't caught up with the advances (and that there are tons of interests vested in keeping it where it is).

It's not going to change the fact that Germany gets about as much solar exposure as Seattle.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Does it seem that the technology will continue to make advances in the short term, or have we reached another sort of efficiency plateau for the time being? The evolution of solar's feasibility has been interesting to me, but I don't know where to get good information on it because as you say, there are interested parties suppressing the spread of that information.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

mdemone posted:

Does it seem that the technology will continue to make advances in the short term, or have we reached another sort of efficiency plateau for the time being? The evolution of solar's feasibility has been interesting to me, but I don't know where to get good information on it because as you say, there are interested parties suppressing the spread of that information.

Presently (well as of when I last looked in July) cost is falling in line with Moore's law so even if the efficiency per m^2 froze, it would be more cost efficient

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Electric Bugaloo posted:

The thing is in actuality, when places shut down nuclear with a goal of switching to solar, they instead just build more fossil fuel.

Fried Chicken posted:

Presently (well as of when I last looked in July) cost is falling in line with Moore's law so even if the efficiency per m^2 froze, it would be more cost efficient

All the cost efficiency in the world doesn't make the sun shine at night, or give you free storage of energy produced in hours when it will go to waste though. That's the big problem with solar as a major part of the electricity grid.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

mdemone posted:

Solar itself is actually already where it needs to be, especially in combination with newer turbine designs in wind, the main issue is energy storage. According to a friend who works in that area, there are some very promising new ideas in the works but I have no idea how far along those are.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Apparently he then went onto Youtube and started thinking out loud about other musicians whose work he might want to monopolize.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I don't see Wu Tang keeping their end of the bargain. They'll release it online knowing the internet and general citizens of the world hates this dude.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

zoux posted:

What did the opposition say.

"lol" I think.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Solar owns in like Arizona and Nevada though. Shame it requires some funky elements that are a bitch and a half to separate out.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

DemeaninDemon posted:

Solar owns in like Arizona and Nevada though. Shame it requires some funky elements that are a bitch and a half to separate out.

Welllllll....

Not really. Mostly Coal, Gas, and Nuclear. Palo Verde Nuclear Plant puts out 3,875 MW from three reactors.
The only solar plant in Arizona contributes: 280 MW

Nevada, on the other hand generates: 934.575 MW from 15 solar plants. But 6,341 from 11 Fossil plants.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Donald Trump posted:

'I will never leave this race'

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Wow, you mean incumbent energy sources built over decades are producing more energy than solar plants?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Nonsense posted:

I don't see Wu Tang keeping their end of the bargain. They'll release it online knowing the internet and general citizens of the world hates this dude.

Nah. I'm fairly certain there is a contract involved that prevents exactly this sort of thing, and it may even provide for damages in excess of the purchase price. Plus it kind of goes against the artistic integrity of the whole thing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Radbot posted:

Wow, you mean incumbent energy sources built over decades are producing more energy than solar plants?

That isn't the issue. The problem is that people are acting like Solar alone is going to totally replace all current power generation.

Its not. The land usage per MW is just too damned much. It can easily offset usage, but by itself will likely never totally replace on demand generation solutions. Therein lies the problem: We NEED on demand generation solutions, but we need ones that do not produce the CO2 of fossil fuels.
We've debated this heavily in the Power Generation thread: Nuclear is the only thing that comes close enough.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Dec 9, 2015

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

ReidRansom posted:

Nah. I'm fairly certain there is a contract involved that prevents exactly this sort of thing, and it may even provide for damages in excess of the purchase price. Plus it kind of goes against the artistic integrity of the whole thing.

Oh, then he wins at life again, I guess.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Have you ever been to Nevada? I mean, outside of Las Vegas? Land usage per MW isn't really an issue there, though other issues with solar remain.

Can we quit with the nuclear circlejerk though? I agree, it's the best solution, everyone on this board does. It's not going to happen though.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I dont think we should cover the whole desert in solar panels. The desert biome has niche stuff too.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Radbot posted:

Have you ever been to Nevada? I mean, outside of Las Vegas? Land usage per MW isn't really an issue there, though other issues with solar remain.

Other things live there than humans, and I doubt everyone wants to wallpaper the entire desert with solar panels.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Radbot posted:

Can we quit with the nuclear circlejerk though?

Or can we contain it to the 3 threads where it has gone overgrown?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

PhazonLink posted:

I dont think we should cover the whole desert in solar panels. The desert biome has niche stuff too.

Yeah, scorpions and centipedes and lovely rats.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

PhazonLink posted:

For a brief moment I thought you wanted to bring back Pauly Shore.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

zoux posted:

Yeah, scorpions and centipedes and lovely rats.

Of the coolest sounding thing I remember from highschool.

Cryptobiotic crusts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

zoux posted:

HMMMM ARE THEY BUDDIES?

They were.... not sure if they still are.
Why does everything you write write come across as idiotic?

• Locked thread