Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
He seems like such a gentle loner, I don't know why these evil G-Men arrested him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Thump! posted:

The distance between Robert Dear's home in Hartsel, Colorado and Colorado Springs is 64 miles.

These sorts of racist, murderous shitfucks should not be given a public list of US citizens that have been accused of terror ties without due process.

I don't see what that has to do with anything. You get that the hardcore types already are willing to shoot the Muslim guy in the areas (he's actually a mexican, but they don't know that) right?

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

fishmech posted:

Ol shooty Jethro is sure going to be able to figure out which "Muhammed Arnold" is the right one, or even pick which one to kill out of the dozens that are out there. Get real, he'll get bored before he drives 50 miles.

Implying he's going to care to differentiate when he runs across the first person with the name.

Joementum posted:

Obama's proposal for it provides for an process to appeal the decision.

Oh cool, I get to triple quote this again! Thanks dumbshit!

blue squares posted:

Due process doesn't mean there is a process to get off the list.

blue squares posted:

blue squares posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

GlitchThief posted:

There's a lot of problems with the list, but I don't see how making it public would do anything but make it worse.

It would make it harder to justify the list's existence.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

It's already unjustifiable.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

DeusExMachinima posted:

Implying he's going to care to differentiate when he runs across the first person with the name.

He's not going to run across anyone with the name because that kind of violent person just shoots at the first person who fails the paper bag test and angers him.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

GlitchThief posted:

It's already unjustifiable.

Apparently not.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

computer parts posted:

Apparently not.

How do you feel the list is justified?

CalmDownMate
Dec 3, 2015

by Shine

Artificer posted:

Christ Almighty this is a depressing as gently caress thread.

Yeah we shoudl all just kill ourselves tbqh

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Artificer posted:

Follow the Middle East thread, you'll start to feel better about your life. (And you'll learn stuff.)

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

DeusExMachinima posted:

Oh cool, I get to triple quote this again! Thanks dumbshit!

I have been reading some literature on the NICS background checks and some various state laws. Under the existing system, it appears that at the federal level, the FBI can place a hold to delay a purchase without initial due process, and many states have a "subversive group" clause which does not seem that different from the idea of the no fly list, as well as denial at judicial discretion without conviction or existing indictment. It seems that the government position on "due process" and gun purchases is that they are allowed to delay your purchase as long as you have a route to appeal without it being a rights violation.

Is this accurate, or are there other checks and oversights of the various open ended catch-all capabilities that exist?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Party Plane Jones posted:

Knowing the FL Democratic Party they're going to nominate some chucklefuck that'll lose to David Jolly. Grayson probably.

Close. Murphy seems to be winning the primary for the senate seat, since Grayson--as fun as he was to watch--is utter poo poo at campaigning.

So the guy who only barely beat a literal war criminal in a presidential election year by 2500 votes will be the hope for overcoming the GOP machine in florida. At least he isn't just a recycled republican.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

GlitchThief posted:

Our sitting President is attempting to use it as a tool for policy.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Are snakes real?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

quote:

Where do you put guys who haven't committed crimes in the USA but are still clearly dangerous i.e. a guy who joined ISIL

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Where do you put guys who haven't committed crimes in the USA but are still clearly dangerous i.e. a guy who joined ISIL

Paper bag test dummy.

CalmDownMate
Dec 3, 2015

by Shine

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Police academies.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Quick, now photoshop Jeb's head onto Hobbes

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

I don't get it.

Someone explain it to me .

Explain as you would to a child.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/12/tennessee-school-wins-right-to-ban-gays-and-women-whove-had-sex-this-is-who-we-are/

Has this been posted yet? It seems like something like this should have been stopped right away.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hollismason posted:

I don't get it.

Lots of Dem seats up for re-election and it's a midterm.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

computer parts posted:

Oh shi...

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Hollismason posted:

I don't get it.

The President's party tends to win Senate seats during Presidential elections, and lose them on off-year elections.

There are lots of Republican Senate seats up for election in 2016, because Republicans won a lot of seats in 2010, a non-Presidential election. 2016 is a Presidential election year.

There are lots of Democratic Senate seats up for election in 2018, because Democrats won a lot of seats in 2012, a Presidential election. 2018 is a non-Presidential election year.

CalmDownMate
Dec 3, 2015

by Shine

computer parts posted:

The GOP will be so far along to destroying the country by then after Trump wins the presidency it won't matter.

Either that or they'll be in shambles after losing the presidency 3 times. in a loving. row.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bobjr posted:

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/12/tennessee-school-wins-right-to-ban-gays-and-women-whove-had-sex-this-is-who-we-are/

Has this been posted yet? It seems like something like this should have been stopped right away.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that if it's a privately owned university receiving no federal funding, then they can do whatever the gently caress they want.

Not that that would make it any less terrible - if anything the fact that they can get away with it makes it more terrible.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
What.

The.

gently caress.

http://www.statesman.com/news/news/gun-rights-groups-to-stage-mock-mass-shooting-at-u/npf38/

Holy poo poo is this guy serious? posted:

The Open Carry Walk and Crisis Performance Event will involve actors “shot” by perpetrators armed with cardboard weapons, said Matthew Short, a spokesman for the gun rights groups Come and Take It Texas and DontComply.com.

Mock mass shooting changes location after warnings from UT photo
Gun rights activists voice their opinion in a rally held by anti-carry gun protestors as they gathered on the West Mall of the University of Texas campus to oppose a new state law that expands the rights of concealed handgun license holders to carry their weapons on public college campuses. Starting August 1, 2016, permitted gun holders can carry in campus buildings although schools can however designate limited gun-free zones.
“It’s a fake mass shooting, and we’ll use fake blood,” he said. He said gun noises will be blared from bullhorns. Other people will then play the role of rescuers, also armed with cardboard weapons.

He said the group was not seeking any sort of permit for the event from Austin or UT. University officials were not immediately available for comment, but in November, university President Gregory L. Fenves spoke in favor of a faculty resolution opposing campus-carry.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

bobjr posted:

Man that is a terrible article.

Title: "School wins right to ban gays!"

Article: "School files for waiver that Federal Government can deny asking to ban gays!"

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

It's not legal to join ISIL so prison.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Dusty Baker 2 posted:

It's not legal to join ISIL so prison.
And that's if they even make it back to the US alive.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

JT Jag posted:

The President's party tends to win Senate seats during Presidential elections, and lose them on off-year elections.

There are lots of Republican Senate seats up for election in 2016, because Republicans won a lot of seats in 2010, a non-Presidential election. 2016 is a Presidential election year.

There are lots of Democratic Senate seats up for election in 2018, because Democrats won a lot of seats in 2012, a Presidential election. 2018 is a non-Presidential election year.

I would just straight-up put it that Presidential elections favor Democrats and off-years favor Republicans. It's a question of turnout, and low turnout literally always plays out as "octogenarians with nothing better to do decide the election". That effect is way more powerful than the party currently in power.

The recent counterexample was 2006 I guess, but that was after Bush's fall from favor had begun in earnest, with Iraq turning to poo poo, Afghanistan forgotten, and a failed attempt to privatize social security, and basically just presaged the 2008 Democratic blowout.

Still though Democrats are probably boned in 2018, there's basically no pickups for Democrats there and a lot of chances to lose a seat.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Dec 10, 2015

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Paul MaudDib posted:

I would just straight-up put it that Presidential elections favor Democrats and off-years favor Republicans. It's a question of turnout, and low turnout literally always plays out as "octogenarians with nothing better to do decide the election". That effect is way more powerful than the party currently in power.

There's also the fact that a heap of states put measures in place to make it harder for college students to vote.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

The recent counterexample was 2006 I guess, but that was after Bush's fall from favor had begun in earnest, with Iraq turning to poo poo, Afghanistan forgotten, and a failed attempt to privatize social security, and basically just presaged the 2008 Democratic blowout.

Still though Democrats are probably boned in 2018, there's basically no pickups for Democrats there and a lot of chances to lose a seat.
While this is, to a large extent, true, the down ticket is alway disproportionately influenced by the sitting President. An unpopular President hurts their party regardless of the party in power. You say "2006, I guess", but that's literally the last midterm where there was a sitting Republican president.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Gonna be interesting to see what happens if Clinton's president with a GOP held House an a GOP Senate with 60+ seats.

By interesting I mean terrifying since they could successfully impeach and remove a Dem president and VP on a whim.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Party Plane Jones posted:

There's also the fact that a heap of states put measures in place to make it harder for college students to vote.

College students aren't the only youth, and even if they were it doesn't explain why they consistently vote during Presidential elections.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

Gonna be interesting to see what happens if Clinton's president with a GOP held House an a GOP Senate with 60+ seats.

By interesting I mean terrifying since they could successfully impeach and remove a Dem president and VP on a whim.
The Dems have a shot of reclaiming the Senate, or at least clawing back to near 50, in 2016. Even if the map for 2018 looks bad, I doubt the Republicans get 60.

Also, a 2/3rds majority is required in the Senate, and they definitely won't get 66.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Artificer posted:

Here's a South Carolina poll, overlapping the time of Trump calling for banning muslims from entering the country

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/interactive/2015/12/09/fox-news-poll-south-carolina-primary-races/

He jumped 8 points

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Fried Chicken posted:

Here's a South Carolina poll, overlapping the time of Trump calling for banning muslims from entering the country

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/interactive/2015/12/09/fox-news-poll-south-carolina-primary-races/

He jumped 8 points
Didn't the governor of South Carolina have some particularly sharp words for Trump?

Edit: I can't find it now, maybe I imagined it.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Dec 10, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

He jumped 8 points

I saw a poll today that had 65% of Republicans, not Trump supporters, but all Republicans, supported his Muslim immigration ban. That is loving insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

zoux posted:

I saw a poll today that had 65% of Republicans, not Trump supporters, but all Republicans, supported his Muslim immigration ban. That is loving insane.

Uh.. I'm pretty sure you'll see that this is really the death of Trump's campaign.

• Locked thread