Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Trump has broken me so thoroughly that yesterday I ordered a custom Trump Hat themed for my local sports team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rhesus Pieces posted:

The 1924 DNC (also known as the "Klanbake") had 103 ballots and lasted 15 days.

I just mean that there was so much deal making that Harding ended up being basically a cipher candidate which allowed a bunch of party officials to get into cabinet and other positions and loot the government.

I don't remember where I heard this so I could be wrong.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

JT Jag posted:

Under federal election law I'm pretty sure that's feloniously illegal. I don't think the GOP has a rule against it though, so they can go right ahead because lol election law.

I don't see why that'd actually be against election law, considering it'd only be done after the will of the people had been recorded (and found insufficient to nominate), and before the actual voting for the governmental position takes place.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Joementum posted:

The story is about how to prevent a brokered convention, but what they can do is mostly the same in both cases. First, they can deny Trump's delegates access to the convention. This would by done through the Credentialing Committee where they could vote to exclude delegates based on procedural errors. There's a debate as to whether the Colorado delegation will be seated because Colorado opted to not hold any contest this year to prevent their delegates from being bound. They're having a caucus still to select delegates, but never voting on candidate preference. Other technicalities may be exploited to prevent Trump delegates from being seated.

Another option is that the rules of the RNC can be changed at the convention. For example (and I'm just making this up, I have no idea if they'd consider it) they could decide to suddenly create a whole bunch of super delegates, like the Democrats have. Oh, sorry Mr. Trump, every sitting Republican member of Congress and every state governor is now a delegate. Good luck with the vote!

What, if anything, can Trump do if the party starts making noise about the Convention? I imagine that there's little he can do to appeal the decision and that it is probably too late to hijack a third party.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I can't wait for Ben Carson to yield his handful of delegates to Trump when he drops out.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

zoux posted:

I just mean that there was so much deal making that Harding ended up being basically a cipher candidate which allowed a bunch of party officials to get into cabinet and other positions and loot the government.

I don't remember where I heard this so I could be wrong.

Given that Harding was dead in 1924, I think you do have it a bit wrong. (You're describing 1920 fine, though.)

1924 was the Democrats not being able to decide whether they were pro-KKK and Prohibition, anti-KKK and Prohibition, or trying to keep silent on both, and it took a solid week of voting before they said gently caress it, we're going to lose to Coolidge anyways.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

QuoProQuid posted:

What, if anything, can Trump do if the party starts making noise about the Convention? I imagine that there's little he can do to appeal the decision and that it is probably too late to hijack a third party.
There's definitely a third party out there that will adopt him for the attention, especially if he pulls the trigger before the primaries start. You don't need to worry about that

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

zoux posted:

Yeah, they don't exist anymore or don't draw enough water to do poo poo. If they could kill the Tea Party they'd have done it ages ago. We've been waiting for these mythical business Republicans to rear up and crush the Tea Party since like 2010.

Hell, poster CalmDownMate helpfully posted an article from 2012 saying that now, finally, the Tea Party was on its last legs, which proves my point rather elegantly.

I personally think they'll lose a lot of steam once they lose Obama to rage against but we've seen what political prognostications are worth this cycle.

I mean, it's no secret that the GOP establishment has been trying to strangle or at least corral the Tea Party for years now, and they just can't do it. They've been more or less content to pass them off as a fringe group and suffer their mucking about in congress in exchange for the majority. My point is that Trump is dragging the Tea Party id to the forefront the Republican party, and that's the line the establishment isn't willing to cross.

Aren't these people that you say "don't exist anymore" the people that Costa is reporting on?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

QuoProQuid posted:

But what if he livetweet's the convention with increasingly harsh things to say about specific candidates/party members? :ohdear:

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

If he goes third party the GOP should just forfeit. There is absolutely nothing they can do at that point.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

QuoProQuid posted:

He can call them out very publicly like he did when they were talking about messing with the format of the debates and get his base to make a lot of threatening noise.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

JT Jag posted:

There's definitely a third party out there that will adopt him for the attention, especially if he pulls the trigger before the primaries start. You don't need to worry about that
My money is on the Constitution Party

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

JT Jag posted:

My money is on the Constitution Party

He's not convincing enough of a theocrat for them.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Zombie Samurai posted:

I mean, it's no secret that the GOP establishment has been trying to strangle or at least corral the Tea Party for years now, and they just can't do it. They've been more or less content to pass them off as a fringe group and suffer their mucking about in congress in exchange for the majority. My point is that Trump is dragging the Tea Party id to the forefront the Republican party, and that's the line the establishment isn't willing to cross.

Aren't these people that you say "don't exist anymore" the people that Costa is reporting on?

That they're doing it this way shows how desperate they are. This is Bruce Willis staying behind on the asteroid to blow it up. This is flying the whole space shuttle into the fissue to blow up the comet. Uh, that's all the asteroid movies I know about.

I dunno if you've seen the news but the Tea Party has been driving the GOP for a while now.

I mean obviously moderate Republicans exist, I just mean that as an influential, kingmaking bloc, they seem to be neutered.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Captain_Maclaine posted:

"Ban Islam" is quite the hook

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

fishmech posted:

Is it illegal under party rules for the GOP leadership to just fuckin' offer $10,000 to each delegate who'll vote for the man they want them to vote for?

The parties can enact whatever rules they decide for choosing a nominee. They could decide to draw straws on stage, or base it on who can jump the highest.

There are no federal laws governing party primaries (except for campaign finance) and the state laws could be overruled by the state or national party committees if they ever want to (Tashjian v. Republican Party of Connecticut).

Political parties are like any other organization and governed under the rules of free association. They have no mandate to be democratic.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

zoux posted:

That they're doing it this way shows how desperate they are. This is Bruce Willis staying behind on the asteroid to blow it up. This is flying the whole space shuttle into the fissue to blow up the comet. Uh, that's all the asteroid movies I know about.

I dunno if you've seen the news but the Tea Party has been driving the GOP for a while now.

I mean obviously moderate Republicans exist, I just mean that as an influential, kingmaking bloc, they seem to be neutered.

Christ, an Armageddon reference is how you want to phrase this?

I mean, it's accurate, but still.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

QuoProQuid posted:

What, if anything, can Trump do if the party starts making noise about the Convention?

He can complain. He's pretty good at that.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Captain_Maclaine posted:

They'd have a lot of incentive though. A Trump 3rd party run under their ticket would bring them tons of money and attention.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

JT Jag posted:

"Ban Islam" is quite the hook

Yeah, but until he follows it up with "and mandate Protestant Christianity," he'll be nothing but a fellow traveler to them.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Hulk Krogan posted:

He can call them out very publicly like he did when they were talking about messing with the format of the debates and get his base to make a lot of threatening noise.

If it gets to that point, what can the base really threaten the Establishment with? Removing Trump would already condemn the party by alienating a large swath of the voters. It doesn't seem like Trump can do anything but make angry tweets.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I can't wait for Ben Carson to yield his handful of delegates to Trump when he drops out.

Very excited for Ted "Kingmaker" Cruz

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Actual article is behind a paywall but:

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

TheDisreputableDog posted:

But seriously, enough about Hillarys emails.

Mods please change TheDisreputableDog's name to False Equivalency Generator.

My motherboard literally caught fire the other day while I was reading Trumpchat, truly his evil is off the charts.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

zoux posted:

Yeah, this I agree with. The only way they can exercise their influence now is by instigating armageddon. The deep impact the Tea Party has had on the GOP is undeniable.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Moktaro posted:

Mods please change TheDisreputableDog's name to False Equivalency Generator.

My motherboard literally caught fire the other day while I was reading Trumpchat, truly his evil is off the charts.
Some computers just can't handle all these hot takes

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Captain_Maclaine posted:

*cough*1860 election*cough*

They were so stable they had TWO candidates!

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

zoux posted:

Only 41% overall? Who the hell is picking up the phone on these polling calls?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

KirbyKhan posted:

You dont do a cost-benefit analysis on the value of a soldier being held hostage. You work to get that person back, then figgure out what to do with Bhergdal when he is safely back in US custody.

I wonder if it depends on whether or not people have been through Code of Conduct training or other SERE training.

I went through the basics when I was in the Navy, we went over the code of conduct and watched videos with interviews of former POWs and stuff.

The thing that they really emphasized was that the things that led up to your capture aren't going to be forgotten, but you don't need to worry about that while you're in captivity because as long as you keep to the code of conduct, your country is going to be fighting to get you back.

I think that it's easy to forget that Berghdal isnt the first guy to get captured in sketchy circumstances and he won't be the last.

The media campaign against Berghdal is powerful ammunition against future POWs who might not have been captured under perfect circumstances.

Let's imagine that some sailor misses movement because he got drunk at a Korean brothel. He makes a few calls to try and get in touch with his command but before making it to the embassy, he's kidnapped and smuggled to North Korea.

His captors now control his access to information. How is this sailor going to stay strong when he's told that the US considers him a deserter and that several Marines have died as a result and Rush Limbaugh holds him personally responsible.

With Berghdal, the United States has made it clear that if you're a POW, you can't necessarily count on us for support.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

zoux posted:

So, what, 59% are just like "No, blatantly racist and hateful messaging isn't insulting and wrong at all, why do you ask?"

:smith:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Huh. The Troops(tm) I play bidjagames with occasionally said he was a dumbass coward who deserved it.

He's absolutely an idiot and caused a fuckton of trouble for a lot of people, but he's still one of us and there was no benefit to us hanging onto the people we gave back anyways. A PoW is a PoW.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Zombie Samurai posted:

Yeah, this I agree with. The only way they can exercise their influence now is by instigating armageddon. The deep impact the Tea Party has had on the GOP is undeniable.

It was the deep impact line that made me lol

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
If all else fails, a brokered convention as such is a near impossibility because none of the first tier candidates would jump on the nomination sword. For it to work out they would have to have a savior candidate who could outpoll Hillary without many of the Trump voters. That person doesn't exist.

The much more likely version is the one where anyone not in the top 3-4 after Iowa/NH and not in the top 2 after Nevada gets shoved into a closet by the elites until they drop out. Trump could never get to 50% of the vote in a two man race in many of the big delegate states, so this plus everybody else's delegates piling on the second guy would work. In this scenario the second person would probably be Rubio because Cruz is too much of a ratfucker for everyone else to support him and Jeb/Christie won't make it high enough in the polls by then.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Paradoxish posted:

So, what, 59% are just like "No, blatantly racist and hateful messaging isn't insulting and wrong at all, why do you ask?"

"Yeah it's wrong, but he makes some good points!!!"

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Adar posted:

If all else fails, a brokered convention as such is a near impossibility because none of the first tier candidates would jump on the nomination sword.

Reminds me of one of my favorite stories of the 2012 primary.

quote:

It’s one of the great untold stories of the 2012 presidential campaign, a tale of ego and intrigue that nearly upended the Republican primary contest and might even have produced a different nominee: As Mitt Romney struggled in the weeks leading up to the Michigan primary, Newt Gingrich and Rick Santorum nearly agreed to form a joint “Unity Ticket” to consolidate conservative support and topple Romney. “We were close,” former Representative Bob Walker, a Gingrich ally, says. “Everybody thought there was an opportunity.” “It would have sent shock waves through the establishment and the Romney campaign,” says John Brabender, Santorum’s chief strategist.

But the negotiations collapsed in acrimony because Gingrich and Santorum could not agree on who would get to be president. “In the end,” Gingrich says, “it was just too hard to negotiate.”

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Paradoxish posted:

I wonder what the racial makeup of that 59% was -- just how many hispanic and black people forgot how they were previously viewed as job-stealing illegal rapist violent thugs, forgetting all that because muslims are the target now.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Crain posted:

Literally treating flag symbology as a magic totem.

It's a loving pin, not even a real flag, and this dude is acting like Obama desecrated the one true cross by loving Jesus on it without a reach around.

If only there was a rule against worshipping images. A commandment, perhaps.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Moktaro posted:

Mods please change TheDisreputableDog's name to False Equivalency Generator

Fair enough, Trump should be pushed on fact based policy while with Hillary we're talking federal crimes.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Republicans.txt

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Why do people think Rubio can be a savior of the party? Like seriously.

Ted Cruz supporters and Ben Carson supporters are not going to suddenly completely change and say " Yeah, Rubio he's the guy for me".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Fair enough, Trump should be pushed on fact based policy while with Hillary we're talking federal crimes.
And by 'we' you mean the House Select Benghazi Committee, Fox News, right wing blogs, internet commenters, and no one else

• Locked thread