Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I should pick that book up sometime.

It's genuinely a good book. It honestly feels like an older-school Spider-Man book that just happens to have a slightly different protagonist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
It also has the best JJJ has been in a while. (any journalist worth their money must think it's skrulls at any given moment)

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Just a heads-up: If you were digitally subscribed to the first Silk (#1-7) series, it doesn't transfer over to the new one. For some reason I thought it did.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Yvonmukluk posted:

literally the only information I had was the cover. Why so hostile?

There's a saying about this, I think.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Spider-Gwen this week! Pacing felt kind of weird this week but I liked the back half of the issue post-Jess bit, and the art is fuckin' killer throughout so I'm willing to give it a lot of leeway. Pure visual style earns this book so much goodwill in my eyes. Matt Murderdock is my fuckin fav. :allears:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Spider-Gwen this week! Pacing felt kind of weird this week but I liked the back half of the issue post-Jess bit, and the art is fuckin' killer throughout so I'm willing to give it a lot of leeway. Pure visual style earns this book so much goodwill in my eyes. Matt Murderdock is my fuckin fav. :allears:

I liked the gag with Jessica fuckin' with Gwen's head about the handcuffs, though I feel like Gwen and Silk should be more the go-to pairing. (Well, I get that Gwen doesn't seem to have a mom and Jessica is literally a maternal figure now...)

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Silk continues to be pretty delightful. :allears:

Still. It's hard not to roll your eyes at the "but the radioactive spider that bit Peter Parker bit someone else before dying" origin.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Red posted:

Still. It's hard not to roll your eyes at the "but the radioactive spider that bit Peter Parker bit someone else before dying" origin.

And then another dude ate the corpse.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Oh gently caress me

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Amazing Spider-Man is so good right now. I love it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Amazing Spider-Man is so good right now. I love it.

I can't believe I agree with this. Slott must be back on his meds or something because he is crushing it.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:

Gaz-L posted:

I liked the gag with Jessica fuckin' with Gwen's head about the handcuffs, though I feel like Gwen and Silk should be more the go-to pairing. (Well, I get that Gwen doesn't seem to have a mom and Jessica is literally a maternal figure now...)
Jessica briefly visited Gwen's universe in her own title, about a week or so before that issue, which is interesting because previously they hadn't interacted since the original Spider-Verse. That's probably a plot element their respective writers decided to pop into existence when they began collaborating on Spider-Women.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

I can't believe I agree with this. Slott must be back on his meds or something because he is crushing it.

Pete's new super-power is pretty great. Especially because it didn't work.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Rhyno posted:

Nah, still off his meds despite good writing. He showed up in the comments of The Comic Beats sales charts when they called the ASM #1 numbers comparably weak, saying that the #1 renumbering well might be drying up. He of course took it as attack on his writing and himself.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

God, I miss Spider-Man's tangled web.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Decius posted:

Nah, still off his meds despite good writing. He showed up in the comments of The Comic Beats sales charts when they called the ASM #1 numbers comparably weak, saying that the #1 renumbering well might be drying up. He of course took it as attack on his writing and himself.

Link or quotes please.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Rhyno posted:

Link or quotes please.

http://www.comicsbeat.com/marvel-sales-chart-analysis-october-2015-the-emptiness-of-relaunches/

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

He must be quietly terrified of any one of the following turning against him and his ASM run: sales, the general public sentiment, reader excitement, the opinion of his editors, or the unforeseeable winds of corporate change. Dude is living his dream, and has set a specific goal in so doing (having there longest run). He knows he won't get a second crack at this. I'm not saying he isn't a dick, but I can kind of understand why he seems to lash out at anything at all that might hurt his ability to keep writing Spider-Man.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

And that'll be the thing most likely to do him in. Somebody is going to push his buttons, and trigger a melt down that forces Marvel to slowly distance themselves from him.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hey look at this

quote:

Yes, it’s astounding that the ASM #1 from this year didn’t perform as well as the ASM #1 from last year (which was the first “ASM #1 in 25 years, launched at the release of a new Spider-Man movie, got major mainstream news coverage, and was the only relaunched #1 in the market at the time.) Color me shocked.

Dan seems to forget the relaunch in 1999.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
We taste your fear Slott! WE TASTE YOUR FEAR!

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Blood in the water. Quickly fellow fan sharks! WE CIRCLE!

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Has nobody ever told Dan not to touch the poop?

Another difference between this renumbering and the last one is that I give a poo poo about this one. Spider-Man Incorporated is nutty enough to be fun for a while. He's been in my good graces since Spiderverse. Who'd have thought that when you throw every Spider-Man in one story against the wall, they stick?

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Spider-Man 2099 never seems to hesitate to throw in references to events/characters that only a complete nerd who read the original run of 2099 comics in 1992-1994 could ever possibly care about. And for those 100 or so people, it's a lot of fun. Glad the book has started to incorporate more of the Secret Wars 2099 characters as well.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Die Laughing posted:

Another difference between this renumbering and the last one is that I give a poo poo about this one. Spider-Man Incorporated is nutty enough to be fun for a while. He's been in my good graces since Spiderverse. Who'd have thought that when you throw every Spider-Man in one story against the wall, they stick?
You and I are enemies now.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Die Laughing posted:

I'm sure he gets a note about it how he responds to it but we live in a world where you have to touch the poop so that people will think "they touched the poop, that means they might touch my poop, what a down to earth poop toucher" poop touching is in the modern social creative contract.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 43 hours!
I have been reading the original Amazing Spider-Man run on Marvel Unlimited. Just hit issue 50 and I can say that after the first year where Lee and Ditko are getting there legs the book really takes off. I know it is cheesy 60's writing, but the stories Lee writes are solid. It really is a shame Romita took over when Ditko seemed to find his art groove, but my lord the man can draw.

It really is some good reading and it is nice to see the classic Spider-Man villains actually be threats and not punchlines. Comparing them then to how they are now I don't understand why some of them were defanged in a way. Heck even Mysterio is a solid villain.

The only real thing I'm coming away with is that I am 100% sure Aunt May suffers from Munchausen Syndrome, Peter could be Bi-Polar, and JJJ has a form of OCD . Has anything like this been written about in the comics before?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

No, but there's been various jokes about it. Everybody is just super dramatic. Peter Parker couldn't lose a sock without Aunt May nearly dieing, Jameson almost firing him, and having a nervous break down as he struggles to fight off a super villain so he can get home to look for it.

EDIT: The sock was also a gift from Gwen, and if Harry finds the sock, he'll put it on and it'll remind Norman that Peter is Spider-Man and he's the Green Goblin! Flash Thompson is a jerk!

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jan 1, 2016

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Peter absolutely comes off as bi-polar and occasionally like five steps away from taking a gun to school in a lot of those early comics

I remember one time he got real upset and smashed a chimney for no reason

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Blockhouse posted:

I remember one time he got real upset and smashed a chimney for no reason

I think that was in Maximum Carnage. Although he's probably done it more than once.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Lurdiak posted:

I think that was in Maximum Carnage. Although he's probably done it more than once.

the instance I'm thinking of was definitely in the 70's and it was over something hilariously minor

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Hell, he's about a day from a killing spree in Amazing Fantasy #15. let alone the 70s. That spider saved lives before Peter ever put a spandex onesie on.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 43 hours!
That is too bad. I think their might be a legit story about mental illness in there.

I still think Aunt May has Munchausen and Dr. Bromwell is in on it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
...Wait, why the hell are Marvel releasing new books today?

Also, why do I care about the 1.x issues of ASM again?

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Gaz-L posted:

...Wait, why the hell are Marvel releasing new books today?

Also, why do I care about the 1.x issues of ASM again?

No idea. I was wondering where the hell my Howard the Duck book was.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Early Peter just acted like an actual teenager who life had poo poo on then gave super-powers.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

SirDan3k posted:

Early Peter just acted like an actual teenager who life had poo poo on then gave super-powers.

Yeah. He was really angry but he didn't really do anything to act on it, because he wasn't a bad person. Early spidey was kind of a cocky jerk even after uncle Ben died, but usually ended up doing the right thing anyway. It's not like the first thing Peter did with his powers was wreck Flash Thompson's car and break his legs. He just wanted to make some money to help his family.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I picked up the relaunch over Christmas just to see and I'm shocked that I don't hate it. I don't love it, and it's got enough Slott stuff in it to make me occasionally roll my eyes, but overall it's head and shoulders above everything else he's done since taking over the book.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Mr Hootington posted:

I have been reading the original Amazing Spider-Man run on Marvel Unlimited. Just hit issue 50 and I can say that after the first year where Lee and Ditko are getting there legs the book really takes off. I know it is cheesy 60's writing, but the stories Lee writes are solid. It really is a shame Romita took over when Ditko seemed to find his art groove, but my lord the man can draw.

It really is some good reading and it is nice to see the classic Spider-Man villains actually be threats and not punchlines. Comparing them then to how they are now I don't understand why some of them were defanged in a way. Heck even Mysterio is a solid villain.

The only real thing I'm coming away with is that I am 100% sure Aunt May suffers from Munchausen Syndrome, Peter could be Bi-Polar, and JJJ has a form of OCD . Has anything like this been written about in the comics before?

There's one story by Lee/Romita, Sr. where Adrian Toomes comes back as the Vulture, and pummels Blackie Drago, who had taken Toomes' suit when the original thought he was dying. Spidey hurts his arm saving a kid during their fight, and Vulture uses the advantage to beat Spider-Man. At the last second, Spidey plays dead to get close to Toomes, and wrecks his flight suit, but still - they managed to believably turn 70-year old Vulture into a credible threat. I can't remember the last time old Toomes was seen that way.

Lee seemed to write most of his Spidey villains this way - they each had a huge strength that gave them the ability to battle Spider-Man. Although I still don't see how Man Mountain Marko was able to hold his own with Spider-Man.

As far as the supporting cast, Lee seemed to write everyone as fairly mopey, except for Mary Jane, who was a ditzy cheerleader-type, who was just hiding depression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Red posted:

There's one story by Lee/Romita, Sr. where Adrian Toomes comes back as the Vulture, and pummels Blackie Drago, who had taken Toomes' suit when the original thought he was dying. Spidey hurts his arm saving a kid during their fight, and Vulture uses the advantage to beat Spider-Man. At the last second, Spidey plays dead to get close to Toomes, and wrecks his flight suit, but still - they managed to believably turn 70-year old Vulture into a credible threat. I can't remember the last time old Toomes was seen that way.

Roger Stern was a big fan of the Vulture as a credibly enemy - Vulture was his favourite classic villain, and really the only one he used more than once when he was writing the comic (other than that he put Spider-Man up against villains he wouldn't normally fight like Nitro and, most famously, the Juggernaut, and new characters like the original Hobgoblin).

• Locked thread