Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

I just realized that a trump nomination might be good for general election chances, but also means we'll have to listen to this guy for another 11 months. Not sure it's worth it anymore.

Oh, we're never going to hear the end of him, he's gonna do this every four years and in between we'll have 24 hour coverage of his every inane political statement like Palin after 2008.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

I just realized that a trump nomination might be good for general election chances, but also means we'll have to listen to this guy for another 11 months. Not sure it's worth it anymore.
It'd mean the Trump-style customized Jaguars hat I ordered yesterday but which won't come until before their very last home game will still be relevant when next season starts though

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating

zoux posted:

Oh, we're never going to hear the end of him, he's gonna do this every four years and in between we'll have 24 hour coverage of his every inane political statement like Palin after 2008.

I know right, 11 months is way too hopeful.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Muscle Tracer posted:

what is the distinction between a ratfucking and a regular old loving?

Here's the reference in "All The President's Men" http://www.criticalcommons.org/Members/ccManager/clips/donald-segretti-scene-from-all-the-presidents-men/view

Ratfucking was a term for the dirty tricks used in campaigning for student body President at USC, and later employed by Nixon's CREEP.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

GalacticAcid posted:

2016 is the Year of Tough Talk™

Shots fired!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

JT Jag posted:

:siren: lovely Classist Post :siren:[/b]
That assumes Trump voters can write!!!
:siren: /lovely Classist Post :siren:

They can write, they love to demonstrate it on the walls of mosques.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

zoux posted:

It's just irritating as a society that we have to have these massive pride movements for minorities who have been taught to hate themselves for decades but guys like this are proud of being ignorant bigots.

I propose that, in addition to Black History/Pride month, we also have White Shame month to remind white people of all the terrible poo poo they've done throughout history to promote race privilege consciousness. :v:

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib
So it's fallen out of the public eye a bit with Trumpchat, but where do we stamd on funding the government? It'd be nice to know if I have to show up to work Monday.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Raerlynn posted:

Shots fired!

Lloyd Bentsen was more dignified. We live in such coarse times.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

A Man With A Plan posted:

So it's fallen out of the public eye a bit with Trumpchat, but where do we stamd on funding the government? It'd be nice to know if I have to show up to work Monday.

They passed a five day extender today. Full deal will pass early next week.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

fishmech posted:

I want Martin O'Malley to kill Arpaio as a traitor to America while in full war of 1812 reenactment garb.

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

I would pay a hundred loving dollars to see this. Especially if he does it with a cannon. From the deck of Niagara.

I would pay far far more to see this, tbh.

poo poo, I would sign on with the O'Malley campaign today if he challenged Arpaiao to a duel and fought him in personal hand to hand combat to the death.

Even with the whole imprisoning 1/6th of Baltimore thing, if he just straight up bitch-slapped Joe Arpaiao, I'd vote for him until my death.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I propose that, in addition to Black History/Pride month, we also have White Shame month to remind white people of all the terrible poo poo they've done throughout history to promote race privilege consciousness. :v:
Cool, it can be in April, the month MLK was assassinated

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Greatbacon posted:

I had a discussion with a coworker and my boss today after lunch about the courts and how difficult it would be to be a judge, and somehow it got twisted into 2nd amendment chat.

I proceeded to have the triple joy experience of ending up on the opposite (liberal) side of the conversation alone, hearing my coworker advocate that Joe Shmoe and his friends should have access to military grade hardware (all the way up to aircraft carriers), and then having him admit that he is literally afraid for his life waiting for the bus outside our office because he doesn't have a gun strapped to his side. :wtc: I know discussing politics at work is usually a bad idea, but the conversation shifted so quickly I didn't have time to get out of it.

Pray for my liver thread.

I had to listen to a 6' 6" ~250-300 lbs boss at work talk about how he didn't feel safe walking around the streets of our upscale Minneapolis suburban (Edina) office with out a gun because of "immigrant gangs" in the area.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Christ, Trump just consumes all.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

so weird to hear optimistic news about the economy on NPR on a regular basis then see charts with 20-30% of millennials living at their parent's house and stuff like this:

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2015/12/09/the-american-middle-class-is-losing-ground/

Basically the good news I'm referring to are things like "unemployment is down to 5%, jobless claims are at an eight year low, interest rates might go up because things are picking up, more people buying homes," etc. I can't be the only one always hearing this stuff.

I was never really able to reconcile these reports.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I work as an investigator for a bank and while I came from a payments processing background, a bunch of them started their careers as tellers and more of them had stories about being robbed than I was expecting.

None of them are really into guns though, one of them is like "the gently caress would I need that" like it's the dickbat from saints row.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Hollismason posted:

Dehumanize yourself and face to the Trumpshed :unsmigghh:

FAUXTON posted:

I work as an investigator for a bank and while I came from a payments processing background, a bunch of them started their careers as tellers and more of them had stories about being robbed than I was expecting.

None of them are really into guns though, one of them is like "the gently caress would I need that" like it's the dickbat from saints row.

poo poo, are you Jack Kelso?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

so weird to hear optimistic news about the economy on NPR on a regular basis then see charts with 20-30% of millennials living at their parent's house and stuff like this:

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2015/12/09/the-american-middle-class-is-losing-ground/

Basically the good news I'm referring to are things like "unemployment is down to 5%, jobless claims are at an eight year low, interest rates might go up because things are picking up, more people buying homes," etc. I can't be the only one always hearing this stuff.

I was never really able to reconcile these reports.

People are getting paid, they're just getting paid poo poo and don't trust their positions enough to voluntarily move out of the most stable housing available to them.

It's also probably becoming a cultural change at this point. It's not like every culture thinks moving out at 18 is the Correct thing to do, even in parts of the states. Lots of Hawaiian families, where there wasn't always a million acres of unsettled land in every direction like on the mainland, have 3-4 generations living together and would be sad and even hurt if their kids moved out.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Muscle Tracer posted:

People are getting paid, they're just getting paid poo poo and don't trust their positions enough to voluntarily move out of the most stable housing available to them.

It's also probably becoming a cultural change at this point. It's not like every culture thinks moving out at 18 is the Correct thing to do, even in parts of the states. Lots of Hawaiian families, where there wasn't always a million acres of unsettled land in every direction like on the mainland, have 3-4 generations living together and would be sad and even hurt if their kids moved out.
Families living together is a very Romantic cultural thing too. You see it a lot in Southern Europe--- big families have always been common in countries like Italy, Spain and Portugal--- and, perhaps as a cultural holdover in its colonies, it's a common trend in Latin American households.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Moving out on your own was a stupid boomer ideal. At least not before you start spawning more parasites.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Thump! posted:

Dehumanize yourself and face to the Trumpshed :unsmigghh:

poo poo, are you Jack Kelso?

I investigate money laundering, not insurance fraud.

I run across a lot of really shady real estate developers though!

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Muscle Tracer posted:

I'm seeing more homes built with multigenerational families in mind. There's a main household and then an attached apartment that shares the garage and laundry room etc.
The idea is that one of the kids can come back, move into the apartment, get married etc. Once they have kids, and especially as the kids get older, you swap houses.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Xae posted:

I had to listen to a 6' 6" ~250-300 lbs boss at work talk about how he didn't feel safe walking around the streets of our upscale Minneapolis suburban (Edina) office with out a gun because of "immigrant gangs" in the area.

Ha ha ha, in loving Edina? Incredible.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

FAUXTON posted:

I investigate money laundering, not insurance fraud.

I run across a lot of really shady real estate developers though!

That sounds really interesting , please make a thread or something. Seriously. I'm interesting.

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013

Pick posted:

Ha ha ha, in loving Edina? Incredible.

Even Outstate thinks Edina is poo poo.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
You gotta watch out for those immigrant gangs in Minnesota dontcha know. One false move and they'll disparage your hotdish, or refuse to help shovel the walk after the blizzard!

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

DemeaninDemon posted:

Moving out on your own was a stupid boomer ideal. At least not before you start spawning more parasites.

What are you talking about? You're just a lazy millennial. Back in the day my pa used half his GI bill to buy a house and the other half to go to college and then-

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

I am not a book posted:

Even Outstate thinks Edina is poo poo.

It is a lovely place, but Cake Eater lovely.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

DemeaninDemon posted:

If people wait to get their own houses, they'll get married later in life, and have less children, leading to inevitable population decline and the slow death of society! :argh:

(this is probably actually true, except for the slow death of society part, the decline wouldn't necessarily be indefinite and a nation like America is helped in this front by, gasp, immigration)

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

PhazonLink posted:

What are you talking about? You're just a lazy millennial. Back in the day my pa used half his GI bill to buy a house and the other half to go to college and then-

I see what you did there. loving boomers.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
My grandfather ran away from abusive alcoholic parents at 12, worked on a farm until he was 19, was drafted into WW2, and then worked at a marble query until retirement.

My dad on the other hand went into the Air Force and used every single benefit and tax deduction he could get his hands on. :v:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Hollismason posted:

All of the headline articles on NYT.com are Trump related right now

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

All of the headline articles on NYT.com are Trump related right now
That's not true.

One is about Antonin Scalia's blatantly racist remarks and one is about the terror watch list gun thing.

The other five or so though, yeah

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013

Xae posted:

It is a lovely place, but Cake Eater lovely.

A good rule of thumb is to lock the doors when you start seeing suburbs and don't stop for gas until you're in MSP.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

JT Jag posted:

That's not true.

One is about Antonin Scalia's blatantly racist remarks and one is about the terror watch list gun thing.

The other five or so though, yeah
It's been like this since basically July, which is crazy

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Hey Edina isn't so bad, I have a friend who lives there and he lets me come with to the country club sometimes.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's been like this since basically July, which is crazy
That's not true.

Sometimes there are mass shootings. Trump gets less headlines for those two or three days.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

ratbert90 posted:

My grandfather ran away from abusive alcoholic parents at 12, worked on a farm until he was 19, was drafted into WW2, and then worked at a marble query until retirement.

My dad on the other hand went into the Air Force and used every single benefit and tax deduction he could get his hands on. :v:

The WW2 generation has some pretty amazing stories between the depression and WW2.

One of my grandfathers pretty much wandered around doing new deal projects.

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013

MaxxBot posted:

Hey Edina isn't so bad, I have a friend who lives there and he lets me come with to the country club sometimes.

Well that's an opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

MaxxBot posted:

Does the PGA Tour have a relevant tournament at that country club

Because if not, gently caress it

• Locked thread