Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

And? Tories are a lot closer to "Democrat" than "Republican". The people in the video are more like less reasonable versions of Nick Griffin.

What about UKIP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Since 2007, MOM has made as many True statements as Donald Trump

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/13/opinion/campaign-stops/all-politicians-lie-some-lie-more-than-others.html

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Goddam, the Clintons are so good at being technically correct. :argh:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Hollismason posted:

Being a resident of New Orleans I can assure that James Carville is a weird weird weird man. Also, I yelled Skeletor at him one time and he got really upset.

He's a family friend and last time he was in town, to speak at the Tulane med school graduation, I had to fight down the urge to tell him that he looks like a bald Beavis

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Bernie Sanders: the biggest straight-talker in the race by percentage

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

He's a family friend and last time he was in town, to speak at the Tulane med school graduation, I had to fight down the urge to tell him that he looks like a bald Beavis
I wonder how he'd react to someone shaking hands with him after being introduced, hesitating and saying "you know, James, I'll tell you one thing. I was told otherwise by a Republican friend of mine, but they were dead wrong. You DEFINITELY look better than Rick Scott."

JT Jag fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Dec 12, 2015

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

edit: accidental double-post

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

JT Jag posted:

Bernie Sanders: the biggest straight-talker in the race by percentage
I wonder how he'd react to someone shaking hands with him after being introduced, hesitating and saying "you know, James, I'll tell you one thing. I was told otherwise by a Republican friend of mine, but they were dead wrong. You DEFINITELY look better than Rick Scott."

Er, according to that he tells significantly less fully true things though...

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

This is horrible to watch. How do these sort of people exist in numbers high enough to give them political influence and airtime? I'm from the UK and wouldn't expect to find many people gibbering such angry frothing bile outside of an insane asylum. Make everyone in the population carry guns? Doctor! DOCTOR!!!

Maybe this educational film will help explain the situation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNVpwvHIBTk

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Dec 12, 2015

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

god politifact is so worthless

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Grey Fox posted:

But they have the most unambiguously true statements in the chart?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

DolphinCop posted:

you elected a tory

Both American Parties are Tory parties :ssh:

Bernie is one of the only 'labour' politicians

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Weird of them not to include Dubya.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

McDowell posted:

Both American Parties are Tory parties :ssh:

Bernie is one of the only 'labour' politicians

Bernie's a loving libdem at best.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

fishmech posted:

Maybe he's Tony Blair.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Lindsey Graham is one of those characters from a logic puzzle who alternates true and false statements.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

JeffersonClay posted:

But they have the most unambiguously true statements in the chart?
Does that make them any less technically correct? :colbert:

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Bill is the all time champion of the technically correct statement.

:colbert:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

fishmech posted:

LibDems do not march in picket lines.

edit: I agree it's hard to paint him old-labour, tho

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Dec 12, 2015

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Rygar201 posted:

Bill is the all time champion of the technically correct statement.

:colbert:

Contingent on what the meaning of the word "is" is.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Nonsense posted:

edit: I agree it's hard to paint him old-labour, tho

His rhetoric and style is very Tony Benn - in his book he thanks his brother (who lives in the UK) for exposing him to these ideas.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Grey Fox posted:

Does that make them any less technically correct? :colbert:

Technically correct is best correct, though.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

paranoid randroid posted:

god politifact is so worthless

its something to include in the batchsend subject line so that your boss quits loving telling you to include it in your solicitations.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I guess House Republicans are trying to unperson John Boehner by stripping him of all perks he is entitled to as a prior Speaker of the House :lol:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I guess House Republicans are trying to unperson John Boehner by stripping him of all perks he is entitled to as a prior Speaker of the House :lol:
This feels like Paul Ryan's eventual fate after the Tea Party turns on him when he has to keep the government running.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

FlamingLiberal posted:

This feels like Paul Ryan's eventual fate after the Tea Party turns on him when he has to keep the government running.

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

While I enjoy the fact that Republicans are eating their own, the possible destruction of the country is not the price I want to pay for this spectacle.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

enacted - former speaker Literally Who?'s name to be stricken from all monuments, engravings, and public records

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Grey Fox posted:

The Fishmech candidates!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Martin's numbers there really are pretty amazing.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Weird of them not to include Dubya.

Dick Cheney is on there

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
The New Yorker breaks out its crystal ball...

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Is Trump our version of Netanyahu? Is he going to publically announce that Assad orchestrated 9/11 next?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Jeff Flake continues to be a fascinating Tea Party Senator.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Martin O'malley: God-king of the half-truth

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Joementum posted:

With everything else going on, that's actually really cool.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

JT Jag posted:

There's no law against politicians involving themselves in nonprofit organizations, even if they are activist in nature. Perhaps unfortunately.

Ehhhhhh. Kinda is, if they're paid.

http://ethics.house.gov/outside-employment-income/restrictions-outside-employment#emp_receipt_of_compensation

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility

Joementum posted:

And honest:
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/gop-senator-why-politicians-secretly-oppose-trump/article/2578215

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

This whole thing is gold.

quote:

Eric Trump and his siblings filed amicus-curiae briefs in Trump v. United States, in which the President attempted to have the Twenty-Second Amendment overturned, on the ground that it violated his First Amendment right to campaign for a third term. He lost that case, 9–0, as even the justices most supportive of Trump explained that he really couldn’t do that.

lmbo

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

I doubt he's being paid by them.

On the books.

Joementum posted:

A Mormon? Of course, Mormons are generally religiously and politically conservative, but (and of course this experience can vary from person to person) I've found that, due to their community values, they can at least be friendly to people they disagree with on those points, unlike Evangelicals, who are very judgmental.

JT Jag fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Dec 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

so weird to hear optimistic news about the economy on NPR on a regular basis then see charts with 20-30% of millennials living at their parent's house and stuff like this:

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2015/12/09/the-american-middle-class-is-losing-ground/

Basically the good news I'm referring to are things like "unemployment is down to 5%, jobless claims are at an eight year low, interest rates might go up because things are picking up, more people buying homes," etc. I can't be the only one always hearing this stuff.

I was never really able to reconcile these reports.

THANK YOU!

I thought I was the only one who felt this way and that I was the crazy one. It's like there's this elephant in the room of deepening income inequality, stagnant wages, etc. and yet NPR et al are acting all optimistic about the economy getting better. It's practically willful ignorance from the way the media portrays the economy now.

• Locked thread