Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I guess my main first response would be that Delta Green has the assumption of failure built into it

Well, yes, so does X-Com. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Well, yes, so does X-Com. :v:

I love that the sequel assumes canonical failure. Got into an internet slapfight with a guy who didn't. "Well harumph I never lost a game, they're ruining my canon!" Great dude, shut up and don't buy the sequel then, the story is over for you.

I'm not sure an RPG is the best format for a tabletop X-Com alike. Seems like a campaign-driven skirmish miniatures game would be more in that wheelhouse.

I am so jazzed for the DG book-of-the-month club. Part of me wants to drop the extra Jackson to upgrade the Agents to a second Case Officer's and gift it to a friend, part of me wants to Catch 'Em All and have a player book I can leave out for reference on the table without them being able to look up how many hit points a Cthulhu has or whatever.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I was disappointed in the direction of the sequel, but ultimately the only canon that matters is the producer's. Saves me a few bucks to spend somewhere else, and I can get friends to regale me with stories of their resistance.

I definitely agree, though-- the sheer amount of collateral damage, soldier churn and general mayhem that X-COM wears really isn't suited to an RPG. If you're going back to Gerry Anderson's UFO, maybe.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Otisburg posted:

I'm not sure an RPG is the best format for a tabletop X-Com alike. Seems like a campaign-driven skirmish miniatures game would be more in that wheelhouse.

I think it depends on what you want out of it, really. If you're interested in the base-building and tactical skirmishes and high lethality then yeah, absolutely. If you just want a regular RPG where you get to be soldiers fighting aliens, it'd work with basically any decent system (preferably ones that use battle maps so you have at least a bit of a nod to the video games) - you could pretty trivially run it in Fate, for example. It's the difference between wanting an X-Com tabletop game and wanting an RPG set in the X-Com setting.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Otisburg posted:

I love that the sequel assumes canonical failure. Got into an internet slapfight with a guy who didn't. "Well harumph I never lost a game, they're ruining my canon!" Great dude, shut up and don't buy the sequel then, the story is over for you.

I am so jazzed for the DG book-of-the-month club. Part of me wants to drop the extra Jackson to upgrade the Agents to a second Case Officer's and gift it to a friend, part of me wants to Catch 'Em All and have a player book I can leave out for reference on the table without them being able to look up how many hit points a Cthulhu has or whatever.

There's already a campaign-driven minis game that's X-Com-ish - Galaxy Defenders. From the little I've played so far it's pretty solid.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Mars Attacks also looks decent, though less campaign-based.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

moths posted:

What's the Kickstarter's status today, anyway?

James Wallace is like Douglas Adams without the sense of urgency.

I know one of the other writers had their stuff in ages ago. I suspect the other writers are annoyed at their names being connected to James lack of writing.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Otisburg posted:

Mars Attacks also looks decent, though less campaign-based.

Mars Attacks is based on a cut down version of the Deadzone rules, they offer conversion decks to play it using the full Deadzone rules, which has a campaign system, and you'll probably be able to use them in the 2nd edition rules with a much revamped campaign system, due next year.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

The trigger has been pulled on The New Age pledge level for Delta Green. I can always cut back on Christmas gifts to my children.

Is there an update with a concise timeline of when they expect everything to drop?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Swagger Dagger posted:

Someone pointed out that if they hit all their deadlines next year is basically going to be the delta green book of the month club, which I am super looking forward to.

I'm really looking forward to our Delta Green Megathread that just keeps getting updates all year long.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Otisburg posted:

The trigger has been pulled on The New Age pledge level for Delta Green. I can always cut back on Christmas gifts to my children.

Same - it was just too tempting not to make the jump from the $100 level. I mean it's 8 hardbacks, a GM screen and 18 pdf supplements for $300+shipping, which is incredible value.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Flavivirus posted:

Same - it was just too tempting not to make the jump from the $100 level. I mean it's 8 hardbacks, a GM screen and 18 pdf supplements for $300+shipping, which is incredible value.

Mine included shipping in the three hundo. :911:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Flavivirus posted:

Hopefully they can actually deliver that value in a timely manner. Any time a kickstarter project gets up past one or two books, it starts worrying me that something will go pear shaped halfway through.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

This isn't their first time at the rodeo, and this is a team I trust. They're competent and fairly prolific writers.

I figure worst case the Delta Green Hardback of the Month Club becomes the Hardback of the Quarter club on a longer timetable, and I can still live with that.

*will weep re-reading this post when out of nowhere the Triumverate of Awesome turns into a Trio of Skarkas*

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

jivjov posted:

Hopefully they can actually deliver that value in a timely manner. Any time a kickstarter project gets up past one or two books, it starts worrying me that something will go pear shaped halfway through.

Yeah, that's certainly true. What tipped the scales for me is that a) Atlas is pretty efficient at knocking out big lines of books and b) they seem to have delegated the task pretty well to a bunch of separate and awesome authors. If it was one guy writing all this I'd be a lot more leery.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
And at least this is all "a series of RPG books" and not 2 books, a coaster set, a LARP conversion, and an animated mini-series. They're sticking with what the know they can do

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

jivjov posted:

And at least this is all "a series of RPG books" and not 2 books, a coaster set, a LARP conversion, and an animated mini-series. They're sticking with what the know they can do

Yeah, I wouldn't be suprised if that's where a lot of 'em fall down, especially inexperienced ones. "You unlocked the miniatures and the map and the T-shirts and there's also a drink mix rewards." *has no idea how to navigate the logistical nightmare of fufilling 10,000 pledges with various items from 10 different providers, 2 of which are actively screwing you because you're a small fry and they can.

Just books. And a GM screen with weird poo poo on it to hide my evil plots behind.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Hmm, goblin quest may be making GBS threads the bed...

Dude thought his printer handled fulfillment, too.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

dwarf74 posted:

Hmm, goblin quest may be making GBS threads the bed...

Dude thought his printer handled fulfillment, too.

So that's the two members of the Paranoia team with RPG experience showing poor form on kickstarter project management, then. Not looking good for that ever coming out.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
The Goblin Quest PDFs came out months ago, and dude's offering refunds for those who've lost patience, but... yeah.

The update suggests that the printers have been awfully slow to communicate recently, before refusing to do fulfillment, but frankly this could just as easily be him misreading the contracts as the printer screwing a small-fry. I think he lowballed the cost of shipping in the first place, which doesn't help.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
This looks interesting: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1383113518/tales-of-arcana-roleplaying-card-game

quote:

Tales of Arcana™ is designed for one-time, single-session campaigns where players randomly generate their character from cards. I found that once I graduated college, despite my willingness as the game master or the willingness of other players, things always came up – overtime, babies, illness, etc. Talking with other gamers I've heard similar frustrations, where a month goes by between sessions or gamers impulse buy expensive reference books they've never been able to use. Tales of Arcana™ is designed to be set up in a matter of minutes, and it’s quick to pick up the basics. Of course, if desired, players can use the same character multiple times or use Tales of Arcana™ for a prolonged, multisession campaign. The game has been thoroughly tested by traditional roleplaying gamers and can be used as an alternative to other systems or as a pathing product into other, more complicated games.

It's got good art and it's only $25 to get a copy.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Otisburg posted:

Is there an update with a concise timeline of when they expect everything to drop?

This is for the printed material:

The Fall of Delta Green (late 2016)
Agent's Handbook (Mar 2016)
Handler's Screen with Quickstart Kit (Apr 2016)
Case Officer's Handbook (Jun 2016)
Control Group (Aug 2016)
Impossible Landscapes (Oct 2016)
Deep State (Nov 2016)
PISCES (Dec 2016)
Falling Towers (Jan 2017)

The PDF only stuff is just coming out as its finished, I believe.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/arcdream/delta-green-the-role-playing-game/posts/1397942

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

clockworkjoe posted:

This looks interesting: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1383113518/tales-of-arcana-roleplaying-card-game

Interesting in theory but if they couldn't be assed to send free copies to reputable people in the industry for actual reviews and instead put up dumb in-joke and in-character reviews, I have zero confidence.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

clockworkjoe posted:

It's been discussed (fairly unfavourably) from here onwards.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Fenarisk posted:

Interesting in theory but if they couldn't be assed to send free copies to reputable people in the industry for actual reviews and instead put up dumb in-joke and in-character reviews, I have zero confidence.

As someone planning to kick start a game next year, what reputable people should I send review copies to?

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

CirclMastr posted:

As someone planning to kick start a game next year, what reputable people should I send review copies to?

Not joking: Anyone with 1k or more following them on G+; anyone with WotC, Paizo, or White Wolf on their resume; any podcaster or blogger with an engaged fanbase

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Welp, Kickstarter Slacker and buddy of Far West, James Wallis. says, "Life would be so much easier if you could just get on with the work and never have to deliver it a form anybody else has to see."

Guess you can scratch Alas Vegas and Paranoia off completely.

From https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=870U1Bm0jO8 around about 3 minutes.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Well he's not wrong, it would be pretty great if people would just give me money for nothing.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

This is Cthulhu Wars, the base game. To give you an idea of how large it is, I have added Orleans for scale.

This is Cthulhu Wars next to the rest of a De Vermis Mysteries set.

I believe the word "cyclopean" would not be misused.

Now, here's the contents of a DVM laid out. The red figures at the front are the Collectors Edition set and not part of the game; they also come with plinths that I have left out.

Lastly, here's the gameplay items only:

I must have woken up in one of those strange Japanese movies this morning. I'm surrounded by tentacles and I've never been happier.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Dec 11, 2015

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I am just as glad I didn't back. I don't have space for that. :pwn:

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Jedit posted:

MANY LARGE BOXES

drat I'm excited for mine turning up sometime soon, even if it will require rearranging the furniture and buying more shelves!

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

CirclMastr posted:

Like someone said, review copies and maybe offering to thank/advertise for some folks would be a good start on g+ (baker, Harper, etc), some good podcasts like one shot or rppr would be good too as they have good penetration and one shot/James dmato seem to be keen on pushing well done kickstarters/indie games (which you can buy an advertising slot for on one shot too). Sure it's a few bucks and some work but they're some of the good people in the industry and it would help a lot.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

My cup runneth over - Posthuman just arrived as well.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

It's been discussed (fairly unfavourably) from here onwards.

Well, search is down last time I checked. Sorry. The guy who made it emailed RPPR about it which is the first I saw of it. I must have missed seeing it here.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Now that all of Cthulhu Wars has dropped, my uncertainty is cleared up -- it's legitimately worth the gold brick I handed them for my pledge. The sheer volume makes the price a little less crazy. $500 in plastic from Games Workshop would be far less in terms of quality and quantity than $500 in plastic from Cthulhu Wars and the latter is going to be, almost certainly, better than whatever game GW spits out alongside the minis. And the new gameplay options definitely ease my concerns on variance. I could play nothing but CW for a few months and not exhaust it (and, let's face it, I won't).

Hate chirping about it here when its retail future is so unclear, but figured I'd toss my two cents in.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Kind of off topic, but is G+ really a thing? All the people I know who got into it dropped it after a few months and I had not thought of it in years.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

bongwizzard posted:

Kind of off topic, but is G+ really a thing? All the people I know who got into it dropped it after a few months and I had not thought of it in years.

Its design actively promotes organised harassment and echo chambers so it turned out to be really popular with tabletop nerds and is actively used by a lot of indie designers. :thumbsup:

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Its design actively promotes organised harassment and echo chambers so it turned out to be really popular with tabletop nerds and is actively used by a lot of indie designers. :thumbsup:

I notice a lot of my podcast fans follow us on Google+ even though we don't maintain anything but a login there. Searching for how it makes organized harassment easier just results in a page full of gang-stalking weirdness though, so how does G+ work that way?

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

bongwizzard posted:

It's much better designed than Facebook (though still terrible and largely pointless), so....no, not really. Outside of RPG stuff, as Lemon Curdistan points out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

theironjef posted:

I notice a lot of my podcast fans follow us on Google+ even though we don't maintain anything but a login there. Searching for how it makes organized harassment easier just results in a page full of gang-stalking weirdness though, so how does G+ work that way?

You know how Google+ has private circles? Well, if you want to get your fans to harass someone, there's a lot more plausible deniability if you, say, show everyone your list of people who are destroying the tabletop industry in a private Google+ circle that only your fans can join rather than if you just post it to Twitter.

• Locked thread