Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Woodland, North Carolina has decided not to permit construction of a solar farm. The public comment period included the normal worries about property values and a few other valid concerns.

quote:

Jane Mann said she is a local native and is concerned about the natural vegetation that makes the community beautiful.

She is a retired Northampton science teacher and is concerned that photosynthesis, which depends upon sunlight, would not happen and would keep the vegetation from growing. She said she has observed areas near solar panels where vegetation is brown and dead because it did not receive enough sunlight.

Fair enough. Oh wait, you had more to say?

quote:

She also questioned the high number of cancer deaths in the area, saying no one could tell her that solar panels didn’t cause cancer.

“I want to know what’s going to happen,” she said. “I want information. Enough is enough. I don’t see the profit for the town.

“People come with hidden agendas,” she said. “Until we can find if anything is going to damage this community, we shouldn’t sign any paper.”

Hmm, I'm not sure about your theory of solar farms causing cancer for profit. Anyone else have something to add?

quote:

Bobby Mann said he watched communities dry up when I-95 came along and warned that would happen to Woodland because of the solar farms.

“You’re killing your town,” he said. “All the young people are going to move out.”

He said the solar farms would suck up all the energy from the sun and businesses would not come to Woodland.

Big, if true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

fade5 posted:

He had to quit working on Criminal Minds because it ate at his soul so much:
http://www.tvguide.com/news/mandy-patinkin-regrets-criminal-minds-1053095/

I can definitely understand, I got burned out on watching Criminal Minds; it just got so depressing after a while.

Unfortunately they killed off his character recently so he won't be back.

Joe Mantegna has been great as a replacement though (you might also know him as Fat Tony from the Simpsons).

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mister Macys posted:

Only muslims would support an Arabian horse over a true American (according to some amendment...) :tinfoil:

American Pharaoh is a Kentucky bred. :colbert:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Joementum posted:

Woodland, North Carolina has decided not to permit construction of a solar farm. The public comment period included the normal worries about property values and a few other valid concerns.

quote:

“You’re killing your town,” he said. “All the young people are going to move out.”

Couldn't be that the town is packed with filth like this, no sirree.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

Fair enough. Oh wait, you had more to say?

Hmm, I'm not sure about your theory of solar farms causing cancer for profit. Anyone else have something to add?

Big, if true.

Bless that lady's heart, I bet she opposes nuclear plants because she doesn't want the world to run outta atoms to split.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
As always, it's early in the election cycle for polls to count blah blah blah.

Hillary ties Rubio in the youth vote, 45-45.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Oh wow, not just a general election head-to-head during primary season, but a minority demographic sub-sample of a general election head-to-head.

Where we're goin', we don't need statistical significance!

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Joementum posted:

Oh wow, not just a general election head-to-head during primary season, but a minority demographic sub-sample of a general election head-to-head.

Where we're goin', we don't need statistical significance!

Look, you can't blame Vox for trying to keep liberal eyeballs when everyone's asking what Trump's gonna say next...

Elsewhere, Kanye might have competition for the 2020 nominations: Will Smith.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I wonder why 25% of the people polled made over $100,000/year.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
A group of idiots go to the White House in order to burn a Quran. They are foiled when counterprotesters run up and steal it. Also, Jim Caviezel feels it necessary to take a few minutes out of his day to say something stupid.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating

haveblue posted:

counterprotesters

I think I know what I want to be when I grow up.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

haveblue posted:

A group of idiots go to the White House in order to burn a Quran. They are foiled when counterprotesters run up and steal it. Also, Jim Caviezel feels it necessary to take a few minutes out of his day to say something stupid.

Hahahahaha, no one thought to bring more than one Quran.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Is that a loofah on OReilly's night stand? :eyepop: I never noticed it before.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

hobbesmaster posted:

American Pharaoh is a Kentucky bred. :colbert:

Haven't you seen Ten Commandments!?! He's the biggest villain :rimshot: since Goliath! Was it over when he drove the Christians out of Egypt? Hell no! :argh:

Enjoy watching all your bourbon BANNED UNDER SHARIA LAW!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

If its like prohibition you'll still be able to get a prescription.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

haveblue posted:

who?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
You don't know Jesus? Well the protesters didn't know who he was either.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

FAUXTON posted:

Couldn't be that the town is packed with filth like this, no sirree.

It is a traditionally Democratic county and was one of only two counties in the state won by George McGovern.[11] The last Democratic candidate to lose the county was William Jennings Bryan in 1896.[12] In the last five Presidential elections the Democratic candidate has consistently received over 63% of the county's vote.[13]

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Jim Caviezel is super conservative die hard Catholic and has protested stem cell research among other things so it's not suprising at all.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Jesus Christ.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

computer parts posted:

I wonder why 25% of the people polled made over $100,000/year.

How else were they going to get a headline?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

The Larch posted:

How else were they going to get a headline?

I think like 20% or greater of America makes $100k+ so it's not that ridiculous.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

ComradeCosmobot posted:

But look at how enthusiastic her base is because reasons

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Boon posted:

I think like 20% of America makes $100k+ so it's not that ridiculous.

More like 7%.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Boon posted:

I think like 20% of America makes $100k+ so it's not that ridiculous.

I don't think that's right.

But in any case, it was also like 38% $75,000+ and 56% $50,000+, which I'm fairly sure is way out of whack these days.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Boon posted:

I think like 20% or greater of America makes $100k+ so it's not that ridiculous.

Household maaaaaaaaaybe. Not individuals though.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

zoux posted:

More like 7%.

ReidRansom posted:

I don't think that's right.

But in any case, it was also like 38% $75,000+ and 56% $50,000+, which I'm fairly sure is way out of whack these days.

On Terra Firma posted:

Household maaaaaaaaaybe. Not individuals though.

I don't know. The poll in question asks for household income. And according to this it's near 21% in 2010.
Unless I'm reading this wrong, 20% of households in 2014 fall somewhere above $130,000 with the top 40% above $82,000 So it doesn't seem that far-fetched and might actually be under-represented :confused:

Boon fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Dec 15, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Oh great, I can't wait until I see this slide at work, attached to some ramblings about how the CPP is evil.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

i can sorta believe that. Before he went hard right, rubio was pretty soft right and relatively young. he didnt seem like a religious crazy and he was for actual immigration reform and dream act. now he bent over for all the monsters. the rest are of the conservative candidates are either nuts/fundies/old as gently caress.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
Rubio is winning the "not Hillary" demographic, of whom there are a lot even among the youth vote.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Adar posted:

Rubio is winning the "not Hillary" demographic, of whom there are a lot even among the youth vote.

Also I think everyone save Trump is kind of forgotten at the moment.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Jake Tapper is tweeting the pictures and names of the Sandy Hook victims, so I had to quit scrolling through twitter at work lest everyone ask me why I was crying.

:(

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
Yeah that isn't to say that even if he wins the nom this will still be a tied vote a year from now (it won't). Take it for the idea that the Not Hillary portion of the electorate is a significant issue and nothing more.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
gently caress I had forgotten Sandy Hook was today.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The "Guns saves lives day" debacle still makes me angry when I think about it.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Hollismason posted:

gently caress I had forgotten Sandy Hook was today.

Speaking of mass shootings, one of my co-workers is friends with a surviving victim of the San Bernardino shooting and his (victim) take is that it's way more workplace oriented than terrorism since the guy that did the shooting was openly antagonized about being muslim.

Anecdotal as hell I know but might be why it's fallen off from being reported about after enough time passed where the people in the hospital have woken up that they could be interviewed about it.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

A Winner is Jew posted:

Speaking of mass shootings, one of my co-workers is friends with a surviving victim of the San Bernardino shooting and his (victim) take is that it's way more workplace oriented than terrorism since the guy that did the shooting was openly antagonized about being muslim.

Anecdotal as hell I know but might be why it's fallen off from being reported about after enough time passed where the people in the hospital have woken up that they could be interviewed about it.

Eh, all the recent news reports make it sound like they'd been radicalized for some time and planning an attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

A Winner is Jew posted:

You coworker's friend is attempting to rationalize an act of terrorism. Unfortunately, he has found his way of doing so by blaming a victim who cannot speak in their own defence.

• Locked thread