Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

voltcatfish posted:

Is the Fantasy Life DLC something I want to purchase before I start playing or what?

No. You should play it first and see if you like it first since you can buy the DLC at any time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Junpei Hyde posted:

So, to clarify, all the first game's DLC is included on the cart? Because I never bought any of it so that would make it a sure buy.

Yeah, it's all on the cart.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

alf_pogs posted:

is Xenoblade Chronicles on 3DS worthwhile, or am i better off doing the wii u download?

I'm playing it on 3DS right now and it feels a little cramped. It's still a great game, mind you, but there's a lot going on during battles and I'm having a hard time keeping track of things sometimes. Plus the 3D isn't that great which is kind of disappointing for a game with huge sweeping vistas. If it was your only option I'd say go for it but the Wii U download version is probably the way to go.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

If you have a lot of time at home where you can just play video games, then go with the Wii U download. If you're a commuter who doesn't spend that much time at home, go with the 3DS version.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Devil Survivor Overclocked is $10 on the US eShop till December 28th.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

robot roll call posted:

I'm playing it on 3DS right now and it feels a little cramped. It's still a great game, mind you, but there's a lot going on during battles and I'm having a hard time keeping track of things sometimes. Plus the 3D isn't that great which is kind of disappointing for a game with huge sweeping vistas. If it was your only option I'd say go for it but the Wii U download version is probably the way to go.

cool, thanks for the feedback! i am generally more inclined to finish big RPGs on handhelds, cuz i can take it everywhere and just bash through it here and there; i have a tonne of unfinished rpg business on consoles unfortunately.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I got Xenoblade on 3DS and while the graphics are pretty fugly it seems perfectly playable

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

The Smart Baseball Dargon Sez:

"Baseball is chaos!"

His bat is signed by Carl "Yaz" Yastrzemski

Silver Falcon posted:

It gets harder. This iteration of PMD is harder than previous ones. It might not pose as much of a challenge to you in particular if you're a roguelike veteran, though. PMD are the only roguelikes I've played, and they kick my rear end quite frequently.

This is basically my first roguelike ever and the first Pokemon game I've played since the 90s. I'm currently on my third playthrough, and yes, it definitely gets tougher as you go along! Items definitely make things easier, but as it gets later and later in the game, you really REALLY need to have item management and use MASTERED, because poo poo gets crazy. It's not enough to just fill up on seeds/orbs/wands and spam them.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Stefan Prodan posted:

I got Xenoblade on 3DS and while the graphics are pretty fugly it seems perfectly playable

some would disagree

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

noirstronaut posted:

some would disagree

I just disagree with poor use of metaphor, generally.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
I'm still on 9.9 (and so no eShop) due to homebrew. I guess I'm SOL to download updates for physical titles if I want to keep homebrew?

Olivil fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Dec 15, 2015

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

raditts posted:

You mean you are not furious about a game that gives you the option to play without paying a single penny if you choose not to? Don't you see how awful a precedent this sets?!?!

I mismanaged my original bounty of picirites so I've been relying on the daily challenges to scrounge up enough to get to the next area. Is it possible to complete that special 20x20 pokemon on S02-05 without special abilities? None of the lines are set up so you could determine how the blocks fall across the whole length, so I have only been able to solve about 1/4 of it before I give up, using the line of 11 as a starting point. I could blow through the regular puzzles up to here with no problem but I don't understand how you're supposed to get the rest on this one without taking a couple of wild guesses.

Also, I still don't understand the Blue Force or whatever ability or how it's supposed to be useful, even after looking up explanations of it. It turns numbers blue but that doesn't really help in determining the gaps between blocks, so...

There's always a way to solve a puzzle without abilities though it might not be obvious, especially if you're new to picross. But yeah, blue force tells you that there's something that can be done in that row, whether it be just putting a x by a 1 or potential squares to fill in.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Olivil posted:

I'm still on 9.9 (and so no eShop) due to homebrew. I guess I'm SOL to download updates for physical titles if I want to keep homebrew?

Yeah, you can't access the eShop. Why not update? You can still keep exploits like ironhax on the newest firmware.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

SeANMcBAY posted:

Yeah, you can't access the eShop. Why not update? You can still keep exploits like ironhax on the newest firmware.

CFWs I'd imagine. I believe that's the last version supported by them.

Edit: Apparently that's a 9.2 thing...

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Dec 15, 2015

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Allarion posted:

There's always a way to solve a puzzle without abilities though it might not be obvious, especially if you're new to picross. But yeah, blue force tells you that there's something that can be done in that row, whether it be just putting a x by a 1 or potential squares to fill in.

Are there any sites or faqs or something that go through the deduction process for the puzzles? I would love to see what parts I am missing that topples the rest of the puzzle here for me.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

raditts posted:

Are there any sites or faqs or something that go through the deduction process for the puzzles? I would love to see what parts I am missing that topples the rest of the puzzle here for me.

Wikipedia does actually have a list of tips

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonogram#Solution_techniques

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I mean for the specific puzzles, like the one on Pokemon Picross I mentioned above. Most of those techniques in that article seem to be things I'm already doing.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

raditts posted:

This site helps a little too.

http://www.thonky.com/picross/

The adding totals thing they do is something I do a lot combined with overlapping. Every now and then, you might have to do the opposite and determine whether it's impossible for a square to be filled so you fill in x's instead, which tends to open up other rows.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Actually this site explains summing better. But yeah, I use it a lot for bigger puzzles where it's not obvious.

http://webpbn.com/index.cgi?page=solving.html

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

noirstronaut posted:

some would disagree

What do you find not playable about it? I'm just saying if you can put up with the graphics the game controls fine and all, or it seems that way to me

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

It's just that the game looks like a fine mango paste smeared on a plexiglass sheet, then sprinkled in paint shavings. Bake at 350 degrees for two hours.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I played xenoblade on wii this year for the first time and thought it looked kind of ugly at points so I can't imagine it looking much better on a n3ds

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Stefan Prodan posted:

What do you find not playable about it? I'm just saying if you can put up with the graphics the game controls fine and all, or it seems that way to me

he's self indulgently referencing a post he once made that actually got some attention

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
tho it is kinda funny that the faces in xenoblade still look better than the ones in x

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Skeezy posted:

Devil Survivor Overclocked is $10 on the US eShop till December 28th.

I played the original on DS, how much more content did they add?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Tae posted:

I played the original on DS, how much more content did they add?

I didn't play the DS version, but to my understanding it's some new skills that make a Phys build for the MC more viable, QoL stuff, and "8th Day" scenarios for some of the endings.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

codenameFANGIO posted:

It's just that the game looks like a fine mango paste smeared on a plexiglass sheet, then sprinkled in paint shavings. Bake at 350 degrees for two hours.

this would just look like cake frosting or mexican pizza

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Motto posted:

I didn't play the DS version, but to my understanding it's some new skills that make a Phys build for the MC more viable, QoL stuff, and "8th Day" scenarios for some of the endings.

Also full voice acting, which is mostly good (Atsuro especially) with a few "eh" performances.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

There are few things more satisfying than reaching over the top of some cover to deliver an execution-style headshot against some dumb Royalist who has been hassling you in Steamworld Heist.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

voltcatfish posted:

Is the Fantasy Life DLC something I want to purchase before I start playing or what?

Get the DLC before you start. I liked Origin Island a lot and there's a friendship gauge that you can get a jump start on. Also lets you customize your character a bit more.

glassyalabolas fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Dec 15, 2015

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Fantasy Life counter-point. I was gun-ho when I started playing last November but quickly fizzled out in the grind, well before the DLC content could be appreciated. Maybe give the game a chance for awhile before spending more money.

Question about Steamworld Heist: are there skill trees for each playable character? I'm trying to find a worthwhile source of information about the game but there doesn't seem to be one.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Wildtortilla posted:

Question about Steamworld Heist: are there skill trees for each playable character? I'm trying to find a worthwhile source of information about the game but there doesn't seem to be one.

Well, not skill trees, but each character has it's own linear ability line. Exp a level, gain an ability for the character. However, you're not given prior information what abilities you gain until after the fact.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

What happened to the Badge Arcade this morning? He talks about Kirby a lot, and there are a couple of Kirby machines, but everything has has completely changed. There are literally a hundred new badges that are already showing as Last Day or 2 Days Left.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Fryhtaning posted:

What happened to the Badge Arcade this morning? He talks about Kirby a lot, and there are a couple of Kirby machines, but everything has has completely changed. There are literally a hundred new badges that are already showing as Last Day or 2 Days Left.

They switch out so fast it's best just to pay to get the ones you can't get.

Speaking of which, there's a whole set of Mario Party app launchers that can be had in two tries . Knock over the e-Shop badge and pick one up. That should leave one or two badges since they're all circular. There's a free play today so combine that with the practice catcher for a free set.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

irlZaphod posted:

It's not perfect, and I'm sure it's a pain having to call them up to transfer things, but there's no chance of you losing everything. The people who come out with "Don't go digital until there's a proper account system" are still dumb though. For the majority of people who don't lose $200+ video game machines it's perfectly fine.
Yes because losing things is always the fault of the person it happened to. Airplane lost luggage is totally the fault of the person and does not get a police report to send to Nintendo.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Dehry posted:

They switch out so fast it's best just to pay to get the ones you can't get.

Do we know yet whether sets/catchers will eventually come back around, or if I have an uncompleted set from a few weeks ago will it just remain uncompleted forever?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The rear end Stooge posted:

Do we know yet whether sets/catchers will eventually come back around, or if I have an uncompleted set from a few weeks ago will it just remain uncompleted forever?

They do come back. I've seen a bunch all switch through, but some of the badges like the Kirby ones are placed where you're not getting them in one or two tries. It's better to build upon the work already done with the free play.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Dehry posted:

They do come back. I've seen a bunch all switch through, but some of the badges like the Kirby ones are placed where you're not getting them in one or two tries. It's better to build upon the work already done with the free play.

Maybe I just suck at claw games, but I'd say 20% at most can be done with one or two tries. Usually goes something like 1) pick up the piece blocking the critical piece, 2) uncork the critical piece that's blocking everything else, 3-5) pick up the stragglers. That of course doesn't include the bomb and hammer claws, which are a complete crapshoot at times.

They also tend to put the rare badges where you'll need at least 2 moves just to get to it, and then you can't even pick it up until you flip it over first or something stupid like that.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
I like the ones where grabbing one particular badge makes a whole bunch more fall into the hole. It's so satisfying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

This probably gets asked a lot, but are there any announced games that will be exclusive to the new 3DS? The only one I know of is Xenoblade (which is already out). That's kind of a hard thing to Google for. New 3DS games??

I'm thinking about replacing my original 3DS with a 3DS XL, and I can get a refurbished old 3DS XL for like half as much as a New 3DS XL, and I don't really see much reason to get the new one. The improved 3D would be nice, but I still probably wouldn't use it much. At least not enough to justify the extra money. And I don't really see myself playing games that make use of the C-stick/Circle Pad Pro.

I think this is mostly going to be my Fire Emblem machine, so does FE Fates take advantage of any new 3DS features aside from Amiibo?