Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

Swan Oat posted:

Yeah but we already let a guy whose brain had melted from Alzheimer's do that for a while and, while Reagan was terrible in nearly every way, global nuclear holocaust is not part of his legacy.

Care to, shall we say, up the ante, as they say in the nuclear brinksmanship profession?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

He did. It's not the first time either.

What was it?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
That's classified.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

eviltastic posted:

Fivethirtyeight has been funny lately.

Suckabee? Huctorum? Santabee?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

zoux posted:

What was it?

The NSA poo poo.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

The NSA poo poo.

You mean Fiorina or did Cruz pull up some stuff about the NSA too?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Gravel Gravy posted:

You mean Fiorina or did Cruz pull up some stuff about the NSA too?

Cruz commented on the specifics of what the new surveillance program is covering, which was/is classified information.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

SnakePlissken posted:

Care to, shall we say, up the ante, as they say in the nuclear brinksmanship profession?

Barack Obama should nuke this gay earth as the final act of his presidency, ending mankind and averting global warming through nuclear winter

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

zoux posted:

What was it?

Senator Burr (R-NC) has asked the Senate Intelligence Committee staff to investigate whether anything was leaked. Burr did not watch the debate himself because, "The Voice was on. It was the final episode."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

The NSA poo poo.

Hmmm well as I understand it, Republicans are very concerned about public officials not securing classified information adequately. Someone alert Trey Gowdy.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

zoux posted:

Hmmm well as I understand it, Republicans are very concerned about public officials not securing classified information adequately. Someone alert Trey Gowdy.

It's actually a Republican (Burr - NC) who brought it up.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I feel bad for the poor sucker who is going to have to read all of Senator Cruz's personal e-mails now.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Cruz commented on the specifics of what the new surveillance program is covering, which was/is classified information.

Hmm, I look forward to hearing about it over the next year.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

It's actually a Republican (Burr - NC) who brought it up.

It would be awesome if Ted Cruz got his throat cut by an establishment Republican who he's alienated.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
The only people that hate Cruz more than the Democrats are the Republicans.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

it is a unicarmel legislature with multiple parties.  Senators are representatives for sector leaders, and the leader can come in and assume the duties directly.  Nominally the leader of the sector is in charge of the senator, but in terns of effective power senators have vastly more wealth, power, and authority.  However the power the sector leader wields is direct, as an executive of their polity, but the one of the senator is indirect through a legislature.  

Not that hard.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

DemeaninDemon posted:

Depends what world you live in. Hillary would trounce him in a world governed by facts and evidence.

So yeah you're spot on for the wrong reason again.

Politics has very little to do with facts and evidence.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Well this is loving terrible.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...tm_content=link

quote:

According to the World Health Organization, "lead affects children's brain development resulting in reduced intelligence quotient (IQ), behavioral changes such as shortening of attention span and increased antisocial behavior, and reduced educational attainment. Lead exposure also causes anemia, hypertension, renal impairment, immunotoxicity and toxicity to the reproductive organs. The neurological and behavioral effects of lead are believed to be irreversible."

The Hurley Medical Center released a study this September that confirmed what many Flint parents had feared for over a year: The proportion of infants and children with above-average levels of lead in their blood has nearly doubled since the city switched from the Detroit water system to using the Flint River as its water source in 2014.

The crisis reached a nadir Monday night, when Flint Mayor Karen Weaver declared a state of emergency.

"The City of Flint has experienced a Manmade disaster," Weaver wrote in a declaratory statement.

The mayor, elected after her predecessor Dayne Walling experienced fallout from his administration's handling of the water problems, said in the statement that she was seeking support from the federal government to deal with the "irreversible" effects of lead exposure on the city's children. Weaver believes that these health consequences will lead to a greater need for special education and mental health services, as well as developments in the juvenile justice system.

"Do we meet the criteria (for a disaster area)? I don't know," she told Michigan Live. But Weaver doesn't think the city can receive the help it needs without alerting federal officials to the urgency of the matter.

To those living in Flint, the announcement may feel like it's been a long time coming.

Almost immediately after the city started getting its water from the Flint River in April 2014, residents began complaining about the water, which they said was cloudy in appearance and emitted a foul odor.

Hey Free Market though right?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

it is a unicarmel legislature with multiple parties.  Senators are representatives for sector leaders, and the leader can come in and assume the duties directly.  Nominally the leader of the sector is in charge of the senator, but in terns of effective power senators have vastly more wealth, power, and authority.  However the power the sector leader wields is direct, as an executive of their polity, but the one of the senator is indirect through a legislature.  

Not that hard.

This analysis is also applicable to Nebraska.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

mdemone posted:

Suckabee? Huctorum? Santabee?

It was part of an exchange related to a next-to-drop draft pick. http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-republican-primary-dropout-draft/

Of note, Silver picked Jeb to drop before Carson or Huckabee.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

Senator Burr (R-NC) has asked the Senate Intelligence Committee staff to investigate whether anything was leaked. Burr did not watch the debate himself because, "The Voice was on. It was the final episode."

The Senate should sanction Rubio for leaking classified information.

The Republican party should point to that and ask when Democrats will sanction Hillary for leaking so very much classified information.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Hollismason posted:

lol "utm_source=fark"

but yeah this is beyond hosed up

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

Good choice. That Jordan kid is goddamn amazing.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

So you can keep arguing from your personal experience, but I'm going to trust the data on this one.
So 36% of all "private hosts" (a subset of the total hosts on Airbnb) in NYC (not Airbnb's only market) are evil landlords who should be expropriated and sent down to the countryside. In other words, a small minority of hosts seem to abuse the platform, not something anyone (including Airbnb) disputes and in other contexts they have been cooperative in cracking down on this.

As far as sending host data to the authorities, they're exercising their right to protect the privacy of their users. If it was a company you liked you'd be cheering them on. The NY attorney general's office has a long tradition of prosecutorial overreach so I don't blame them.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

36 percent is not a small minority dude. If 36 percent of a company's food or product was harmful, that company would be hosed and rightly so.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The bad thing about them discovering the high concentrations of lead is that the effects won't probably be seen for years. Plus they may not have tested all the children.

Flint really just needs to be completely scuttled as a town.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Hollismason posted:

One of America's greatest freedoms is the freedom to move whenever you want. If those Michiganders didn't like the taste of their water, they should have moved.

As I'm sure you know, Chicago has great tasting, pure Lake Michigan water. Perhaps if those Michiganders want some tasty water, they should move to Chicago.

And in case AA thinks this argument is in bad faith: No, AA, I post in good faith when I post about how Chicago is better than Michigan. Where did those Michiganders go to get help and testing, after all? Chicago.

Gail Wynand posted:

So 36% of all "private hosts" (a subset of the total hosts on Airbnb) in NYC (not Airbnb's only market) are evil landlords who should be expropriated and sent down to the countryside. In other words, a small minority of hosts seem to abuse the platform, not something anyone (including Airbnb) disputes and in other contexts they have been cooperative in cracking down on this.

As far as sending host data to the authorities, they're exercising their right to protect the privacy of their users. If it was a company you liked you'd be cheering them on. The NY attorney general's office has a long tradition of prosecutorial overreach so I don't blame them.

What percentage of total listings do those 36% of hosts list?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

zoux posted:

About when did scorecards become so influential?

November 5, 2010.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

zoux posted:

36 percent is not a small minority dude. If 36 percent of a company's food or product was harmful, that company would be hosed and rightly so.
Do you use Airbnb? There are 3 options for listings: private residence, private room, and shared room. This is only one of those categories, so it's not 36% of total Airbnb listings by a long shot.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

there's prolly a transcript you can run through word cloud or something

Ask and ye shall receive, looks like ISIS "wins".

EDIT: LOL I just noticed the poor little Bush

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

zoux posted:

It would be awesome if Ted Cruz got his throat cut by an establishment Republican who he's alienated.

That's exactly what is happening here, because it was Rubio who leaked what Cruz was talking about last week

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

That's exactly what is happening here, because it was Rubio who leaked what Cruz was talking about last week

Well first the story is going to have to have legs, which could only happen if Republican voters somehow ignore their own guy doing something that they have excoriated their opponent on.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Kurt_Cobain posted:

Maybe they are making a distinction between private direct messages and public postings viewable by everyone

We have a winner.

From the San Bernardino thread:

quote:

Contrary to previous reports that suspected San Bernardino mass shooters Syed Farook and Tashfeen Malik posted their support for jihad on social media, the FBI announced Wednesday that the pair, in fact, did not. The agency's chief, James Comey, told the media on Wednesday that the couple only established their jihadi support in private emails and messages. "We have found no evidence of a posting on social media by either of them," Comey reportedly said.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Fried Chicken posted:

Rubio is so ambitious that he leaks classified information to score a few soundbites in a debate. That's not leadership; that's doing politics the Clinton way.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

zoux posted:

Well first the story is going to have to have legs, which could only happen if Republican voters somehow ignore their own guy doing something that they have excoriated their opponent on.

Or the establishment sees Cruz stepping ahead of Rubio and this is them moving to cut him down within the party establishment. The message isn't to voters, it is to donors, party bosses, and players who are on the sidelines or looking at Cruz as the anti-Trump instead of Rubio.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

MIGF why didn't Preckwinkle run against Rahm

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

Or the establishment sees Cruz stepping ahead of Rubio and this is them moving to cut him down within the party establishment. The message isn't to voters, it is to donors, party bosses, and players who are on the sidelines or looking at Cruz as the anti-Trump instead of Rubio.

I'm just done getting hopeful that Obviously Terrible Thing is actually going to hurt candidates at this point.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

To be fair, nothing he said /should/ be classified.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No I don't think I am going to be fair to Ted Cruz, who I heard has a small dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

zoux posted:

No I don't think I am going to be fair to Ted Cruz, who I heard has a small dick.

Badge, releasing classified information now????

• Locked thread