Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

chumbler posted:

It is very inconsiderate that you park your skell right in the middle of an intersection if you fast travel to the commercial district. Must give the BLADE department of urban planning fits.

Those lazy civilians have a whole bunch of prone and now a giant monkey bat to build roads for them and yet I'm doing more work than they'll ever accomplish in a week exploring this WHOLE DIFFERENT PLANET.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

I don't much care for your negative attitude, mister.

Xavier434 posted:

Thanks for the tips. I do really wish that they would have just binded the basic attack to a button. That makes a big difference for me. I'll aim for Full Metal Jaguar and hope that helps. My preference leans more towards PSO action combat than say MMO FF XIV combat so we'll see.

You really have to build wonkily to be standing around like a dungus all day. Overdrive exists for a reason and there are many arts that can push you into 3000 TP quickly to activate it. I'm activating arts, doing soul challenges, and overdrive combos during almost entire ground fights. Skell fights I have engineered to crush enemies with a single alpha-strike.

But again its all how YOU build your character and skell. You have access to SIX specialized lines of classes full of arts that you can combo up with two weapons (one ranged, one melee) using any arts those weapons are linked to, and any passives at all you have gained, to build you own custom class. Not even to mention the giant pile of augments and armors that affect poo poo.

Skells have buckets of parts to choose from and every frame is a little different, overdrives, base stats, and such. You are also encouraged to blow your entire skill bar load in order to (randomly on art use) trigger Cockpit mode which INSTANTLY COOLS DOWN ALL YOUR poo poo.

I would loving HATE to have to be mashing a button to do my poo poo basic auto attack, since I'm ALREADY mashing buttons to chain off fuckin' jutsus, laser rays, and giant explosions.

Also guys I highly suggest once you get the flight pack (available after ch9) you should go hit maximum level. Seriously there is no reason not to and it is so easy to slam out some levels once you can fly places and attack from the air allowing you to cherry pick targets and get a bonus from being ABOVE poo poo. Hunt through my posts for this thread and find the one where I talk about getting the Dragoon lance, it allows you to one shot a lot of super high level guys that will make your level/class ranks pierce the heavens with much haste.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Xavier434 posted:

So my wife is probably going to get me this game for Christmas this year. I have one question about the basic combat system. Does combat ever feel like you are just standing around or at most repositioning yourself without any buttons to press because you are waiting for cooldowns? I heard that the basic attack is fully automated and that kinda concerns me when it comes to my combat preferences. I want to feel like I am actively involved in the combat constantly and I cannot tell what to expect based on the videos that I have seen.

There are a few points at which you do a fair amount of standing around autoattacking, but it's basically the same as in any MMO -- once you can fill your bar with skills, you can use them in sequence and usually be ready to go again by the time you use the last skill. The other time where you just autoattack is when you get your first skell, which for whatever reason is given to you with barebones weapons (weapons and gear provide skills for your skell.) So, you've got like 2 skills and your autoattack, and the cooldown on the skell skills are super long compared to on-foot combat. Thankfully, you can remedy this pretty quickly by just buying gear for your skell while in town. Cooldowns are still pretty drat long, though.

The combat is actually quite involved for the other 90% of the game, as long as you squeeze that involvement out. Certain skills/classes offer benefits for attacking from a specific orientation (e.g. backstabbing does multiple times more damage from behind,) most enemies have multiple parts of their body you can lock on to for varying effects, and developing combos of your own that may or may not have synergy with each other is fun. My only real complaint with the combat is being restricted to choosing skills via the D-pad. At worst case, you have to choose between movement and skill selection on a regular basis. At best, you're holding the controller all hosed up and using the D-pad with your right hand and still kinda miffed at how clunky it is to scroll through 9 skill slots one by one.

enojy fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Dec 16, 2015

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
How do I get prone to move to nla
Also I guess the secret of a strong duelist is to load them with aura skills because man do they generate tp in a hurry.

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

enojy posted:

My only real complaint with the combat is being restricted to choosing skills via the D-pad. At worst case, you have to choose between movement and skill selection on a regular basis. At best, you're holding the controller all hosed up and using the D-pad with your right hand and still kinda miffed at how clunky it is to scroll through 9 skill slots one by one.

I leveled as a fullmetal jaguar and I'm SO GLAD I got away from position based arts now. It was horseshit to worry about where I'm standing to do a little more damage.
I'm running dual guns (Ghostwalker forever) / longsword now and its great. Nagi's special arts are amazing. Bonuses based off morale and art combos feel like a breath of fresh air after trying to stick to the side or behind fidgety as poo poo enemies.

Calaveron posted:

How do I get prone to move to nla
Also I guess the secret of a strong duelist is to load them with aura skills because man do they generate tp in a hurry.

You should be making friends with Nagi if you want amazing longsword arts. Also don't load up on auras too much, only one aura can be on at a time. Use TP strikes and crank up your potential for crushing damage with them.

Also for the prone there was some mission about rescuing a ~mystery~ xeno race from ganglion.

Zombie Defiler fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Dec 16, 2015

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Zombie Defiler posted:

I would loving HATE to have to be mashing a button to do my poo poo basic auto attack, since I'm ALREADY mashing buttons to chain off fuckin' jutsus, laser rays, and giant explosions.

I may feel the same way after playing for a while, but if I do that would be a first for me in gaming. I just enjoy micromanaging what my character does in combat more. I am a twitch action combat kind of person. Still, I am completely open to seeing how this game feels because it looks really fun.

Different question: Do all classes have dodge/block abilities? If so, are their CDs associated with those as well or can one use them close to freely?

Edit:

enojy posted:

My only real complaint with the combat is being restricted to choosing skills via the D-pad. At worst case, you have to choose between movement and skill selection on a regular basis. At best, you're holding the controller all hosed up and using the D-pad with your right hand and still kinda miffed at how clunky it is to scroll through 9 skill slots one by one.

I can totally visualize this problem and ugh. I like dancing around my enemies a lot in games like this.

Xavier434 fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Dec 16, 2015

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

Xavier434 posted:

I may feel the same way after playing for a while, but if I do that would be a first for me in gaming. I just enjoy micromanaging what my character does in combat more. I am a twitch action combat kind of person. Still, I am completely open to seeing how this game feels because it looks really fun.

Different question: Do all classes have dodge/block abilities? If so, are their CDs associated with those as well or can one use them close to freely?

No blocky dodge witch time stuff, the combat isn't bayonetta/dmc. If you played Xenoblade 1 you'll grasp the basics quickly. I don't think anything we say in this thread is going to accurately give you a picture of how combat works in this.
Just watch videos like this to get an idea https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8EPBs7qjIQ

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

The short version is the combat itself is going to probably annoy you for the first 10-15 hours, but ideally you can figure out some other aspect of the game to latch on to in the meanwhile (this game is absurdly content-dense, even at the start) as you mess around in menus and see which classes operate in a way that sound enjoyable to you. Don't play the range-oriented classes if you want more buttons to push more often. :v:

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Found the Yggralith.
Scary poo poo.

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

horriblePencilist posted:

Found the Yggralith.
Scary poo poo.

Where is it? Did it make your robot go boom?

Also new players your first order of business should be to open the start menu and select MANUAL I don't care how much of a MLG pro you feel you are, there is a lot of obscure poo poo that the manual helps with.

Crabtree posted:

Those lazy civilians have a whole bunch of prone and now a giant monkey bat to build roads for them and yet I'm doing more work than they'll ever accomplish in a week exploring this WHOLE DIFFERENT PLANET.

Somebody has to break coffee machines and ask for spaceship wreckage to fix em', eh?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Xavier434 posted:

You'll be waiting around early in the game before you get a full bar of skills, but after that it's gravy. Especially if you play a class like Full Metal Jaguar with lots of low cooldowns. You're not hammering buttons like in a full action game but you're rarely just "waiting around", even if you're not actively attacking you're checking whether you want to respond to Soul Voice or use a buff/aura to synergize with an Art that just popped up, or if you want to wait for that secondary cooldown for stronger effects, or whether you want to use a TP move or go into overdrive or hold on to that TP because an ally looks like they might go down and need a revive. The secondary cooldowns and soul voices do a lot to keep each fight dynamic and avoid the MMO problem of having a set-in-stone rotation you mindlessly hammer through.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I just finished chapter 6, for one of the Skell exams I need to collect the blue floaty crystals right? The "ingredients" don't drop from enemies or anything?

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Zombie Defiler posted:

Where is it? Did it make your robot go boom?

Also new players your first order of business should be to open the start menu and select MANUAL I don't care how much of a MLG pro you feel you are, there is a lot of obscure poo poo that the manual helps with.

Somebody has to break coffee machines and ask for spaceship wreckage to fix em', eh?

If you want to know right away: In the giant orb in Sylvalum, you can fly into a hole in the side.
If you want a nudge in the right direction, it's in Sylvalum. A BLADE in one of the base camps mentions it's whereabouts.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Demicol posted:

I just finished chapter 6, for one of the Skell exams I need to collect the blue floaty crystals right? The "ingredients" don't drop from enemies or anything?

If it's the one I'm thinking of, yes, you have to get the crystals. But there's a cave full of about fifty crystals packed into a room right by one of the spawn points in Oblivia hidden on the SE beach.

It took me three trips there to get one item. :negative:

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Oh and yes, I whacked it from far away but it still OHKO'd my Skell.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

It took me three trips there to get one item. :negative:

They only spawn during the early morning.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
So I just found out I can give asylum to Cavern Clan and I have no idea where to find them in NLA after that? Where are they located so I can unify the Prone under a mighty Earth Clan?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
When you're in a skell your character level doesn't matter, right? A Lv30 skell is a Lv30 skell regardless of whether I'm Lv30 or 50? I know exp is calculated based on character level, but like even if my character level is higher than an enemy, if my skell level is lower, I'm (generally) going to have a harder time? I've just been poweleveling by 1-2 shotting things in my Lv 30 skell and not bothering with upgrading arts/skills, though I probably should look in to that at some point, I know.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

They only spawn during the early morning.

Are the rest time related as well?

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Crabtree posted:

So I just found out I can give asylum to Cavern Clan and I have no idea where to find them in NLA after that? Where are they located so I can unify the Prone under a mighty Earth Clan?

They all hang out at the East Gate, close to where you start Boze's recruitment mission.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

Fhqwhgads posted:

When you're in a skell your character level doesn't matter, right? A Lv30 skell is a Lv30 skell regardless of whether I'm Lv30 or 50? I know exp is calculated based on character level, but like even if my character level is higher than an enemy, if my skell level is lower, I'm (generally) going to have a harder time? I've just been poweleveling by 1-2 shotting things in my Lv 30 skell and not bothering with upgrading arts/skills, though I probably should look in to that at some point, I know.

You'll probably want to have a full set of arts and skills leveled for the very last chapter.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Xavier434 posted:

Thanks for the tips. I do really wish that they would have just binded the basic attack to a button. That makes a big difference for me. I'll aim for Full Metal Jaguar and hope that helps. My preference leans more towards PSO action combat than say MMO FF XIV combat so we'll see.

Actually, your melee and ranged weapons are on different cooldowns, so you'll be doing more damage if you attack, press x to swap weapons, attack, x, repeat.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Are all of the new races and AM found through affinity quests? I feel like I have done a decent amount of them, but I have not found any new ones for either. Also, I maxed out one of the class trees (the very top sword/assault rifle one), and then switched to the dual weapons one, and now I lost all previous abilities? Is there a way to get those back?

Edit: I am in chapter 7.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Dec 16, 2015

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
I just did Reporting For Duty. Holy poo poo the anime.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Pain of Mind posted:

Are all of the new races and AM found through affinity quests? I feel like I have done a decent amount of them, but I have not found any new ones for either.

If I remember correctly:

With the exception of Ma-non, Nopon and Wroth, all alien races are recruited through Simple Missions near the Blade Tower's entrance. You get Nopons from the affinity quest BFFs and the latter from the affinity quest 'A Challenger Approaches.
Getting the xenos nets you their respective AM, with the exception of the last, which you get by completing the Professor B-questline in the INdustrial District.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

xedo posted:

Actually, your melee and ranged weapons are on different cooldowns, so you'll be doing more damage if you attack, press x to swap weapons, attack, x, repeat.

I thought so before, but I'm pretty sure I do more actual damage sticking to one for secondary cooldowns. Maybe it's different if you're a more balanced style between melee and ranged arts.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Pain of Mind posted:

Also, I maxed out one of the class trees (the very top sword/assault rifle one), and then switched to the dual weapons one, and now I lost all previous abilities? Is there a way to get those back?

Edit: I am in chapter 7.

the arts you can equip is based on the weapons you have equipped. fully mastering one of the class branches lets you use its weapons in any class, just make sure you have what you want equipped since changing classes automatically slaps you with the worst of the new gear

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Caphi posted:

I thought so before, but I'm pretty sure I do more actual damage sticking to one for secondary cooldowns. Maybe it's different if you're a more balanced style between melee and ranged arts.
Its build and situation dependent, but keep in mind its an absolute crime to use your key damage (and some TP generating) abilities without a secondary cooldown, and its wasted secondary cooldown to be using a weapon that doesn't have any active arts, so its kind of hard to make such a one sided build short of only taking buffs and auras (which still often have invaluable SD traits).

e. the exception is infinite overdrive, where animation priorities end up taking longer than tertiary cooldowns after the count has spun up and you can just do whatever, its all cool

zedprime fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Dec 16, 2015

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

How much do you get out of the online play in this? I've just gotten to squad selection and am wondering if interacting with random assholes on the internet will be worth it. I can change squads later, right?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

pun pundit posted:

How much do you get out of the online play in this? I've just gotten to squad selection and am wondering if interacting with random assholes on the internet will be worth it. I can change squads later, right?

squad tickets alone are an invaluable resource that i'll never have enough of

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

Is there an augment to stop telethia's beam/ether reflect state? I have to stop attacking for the most part at that point.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Zombie Defiler posted:

Is there an augment to stop telethia's beam/ether reflect state? I have to stop attacking for the most part at that point.

Yes, it's under attack mods in the skell weapons section, build the XX version of the element you want to not be reflected because anything less than 100% is useless.

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

Eopia posted:

Yes, it's under attack mods in the skell weapons section, build the XX version of the element you want to not be reflected because anything less than 100% is useless.

Do I just need one XX of the element on one of my weapons to completely ignore it's reflect mode?

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Zombie Defiler posted:

Do I just need one XX of the element on one of my weapons to completely ignore it's reflect mode?

yep. it applies to all of your damage of that element, regardless of which weapon the augment is on.

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

Inflammatory posted:

yep. it applies to all of your damage of that element, regardless of which weapon the augment is on.

Nice, does it (telethia online worldboss) ever reflect elements aside from ether/beam?

Calaveron posted:

How are you supposed to fight a level 90 boss

Crush it with your first attack before it gets the chance to do the same to you!

Zombie Defiler fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 16, 2015

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Unsuccessfully!

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Zombie Defiler posted:

Nice, does it (telethia online worldboss) ever reflect elements aside from ether/beam?

sometimes it does thermal/electric, but beam/ether seems more common.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Calaveron posted:

Augments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5er
Jun 1, 2000

kirbysuperstar posted:

Learning Vandham's first name made me love him even more.

I've thought of him from the start as Paul Sr.

• Locked thread