Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

unlawfulsoup posted:

Perfectly setup, so yeah it plays really really nicely. Usually I cramp up on acoustic doing barres, but not on this one; it feels like I am playing an electric since I can use such a soft touch.

Yeah, that is the chair I usually play on. :D

214ce <3 GA body cut.

As a 314CE owner, I congratulate you heartily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
My dad has a 614CE and it is the single most incredible acoustic I've ever laid hands on.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Yeah, the 314ce's I have tried were excellent machines, have that premium side and back action. :D

The 614ce in Maple is the guitar I want if I ever can reach that level of spending.

praxis
Aug 1, 2003

unlawfulsoup posted:

Early Christmas/Birthday/Everything gift.

So Jealous. I had a 714CE I had to part with a couple of years ago and I will probably never own a guitar of that quality again.

SineRider
Oct 10, 2012

Come on die young
Picked up two new pedals. First is a Ditto Looper and second is Hall of Fame Reverb. Both compliment my ambient jam setup nicely. Typically I run either my guitar or OP-1 through my FX setup then record it onto a Portastudio if I make anything worth recording.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Cooked up another dirt circuit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sh07HF1SQY

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Just got one of these:

http://www.pmtonline.co.uk/tc-elect...zJB_BoCeQfw_wcB

By far and away the best clip on tuner I have seen, just leagues ahead. Strum all strings and it shows you what is out of tune on all strings at once, then hit a single string and it automatically shows you that string, really accurate too.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

SineRider posted:

Picked up two new pedals. First is a Ditto Looper and second is Hall of Fame Reverb. Both compliment my ambient jam setup nicely. Typically I run either my guitar or OP-1 through my FX setup then record it onto a Portastudio if I make anything worth recording.

careful with that ditto, mine broke almost immediately. apparently a common problem.

i might try and fix it just for the hell of it but i'm probably gonna save up for a Boss RC2 instead.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

peter gabriel posted:

Just got one of these:

http://www.pmtonline.co.uk/tc-elect...zJB_BoCeQfw_wcB

By far and away the best clip on tuner I have seen, just leagues ahead. Strum all strings and it shows you what is out of tune on all strings at once, then hit a single string and it automatically shows you that string, really accurate too.

I've been meaning to post a little review of this tuner for a while. It's so good. My only issue is that it's TOO sensitive sometimes, hardly the worst problem to have. It picked up my unplugged bass clearly when I plucked it about a foot from the actual tuner clamped on a music stand. What.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Kilometers Davis posted:

I've been meaning to post a little review of this tuner for a while. It's so good. My only issue is that it's TOO sensitive sometimes, hardly the worst problem to have. It picked up my unplugged bass clearly when I plucked it about a foot from the actual tuner clamped on a music stand. What.

It really is sweet, one of those not very exciting purchases but an awesome investment.
I also have the nano pedal version (no battery compartment) and it seems just as good as that

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

peter gabriel posted:

It really is sweet, one of those not very exciting purchases but an awesome investment.
I also have the nano pedal version (no battery compartment) and it seems just as good as that

I have the standard size Polytune (or Polyamorous as it came labelled) from iostream, and couldn't be happier with it. Good to know for a future purchase about their headstock models.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

careful with that ditto, mine broke almost immediately. apparently a common problem.

i might try and fix it just for the hell of it but i'm probably gonna save up for a Boss RC2 instead.

Same thing happened with mine, I ended up using loops more than I thought I would so I think I'm just going to trash it and go with some flavor of two-switch boss looper.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
As mentioned in the Amp thread, I got hired as a rhythm/lead for a 2-month tour. Since it's mostly going to be small clubs, I needed something less ostentatious and (let's not kid ourselves here) since most of the heads and combos I use for studio work:
  1. Are Relatively rare / expensive.
  2. Would probably require some maintenance to tough out the touring life.
I decided to start looking up on the Internet to see if I could find something that could basically do clean/slightly dirty/metal and take pedal tomfoolery and not cost me too much. I saw a bunch of Carvin, Ibanez and Orange amps that were on the cheap side of things and, according to the youtube video reviews, could pull that off okay. I never used Carvin amps and while an Ibanez head with a tubescreamer circuit included seemed tempting, I decided to hold off on them.

The next day, I passed by two of the music stores in downtown and decided to check them out, despite the fact that they don't seem to carry anything beyond boring Vox, Marshall, Crate and occasionally some Orange amps. They do have a bunch of really cool Fender amp stuff, but I'm digressing here.

It had been a while since I actually went into the store and paid attention to the guitar amp section, to be honest; I mostly just go there because they carry the strings I put on 90% of my stringed instruments. Imagine my surprise when I see that they carry the EVH line, Blackstar and some other cool things. And then, I saw this guy:

While I never played Rectifiers extensively, I do have a history of using Mesa/Boogie Mark IV heads on tour (to this day, I keep 1 at home and 1 at the studio). Like, whenever I had no choice but to settle for carrying only 1 head with no backup, my choice was always that Mark IV head. Also, giving it maintenance was fairly easy compared to other amps. So, after asking the guy if I could bring my guitar the next day to try it and got the okay, I headed back home and started warming up on my old Marshall AVT (the one you see below in that picture).

Next day (this last Tuesday), I took my baritone guitar there and tested two heads: The one shown above and the Express 5:50 plus. While I initially liked the 5:50 a bit more at the start due to having the 5 band EQ that I always dug from the Mark series, the Recto was just an insanely good match for my baritone. Both channels sounded off the hook and... hell, it felt like a no-brainer. I actually got kind of skeptic due to the fact that maybe it was the cabinet I used to test it (a 4x12 Marshall cab) the one that made it sound that good.

Nope.

I took the thing home and plugged it into my 2x12 Orange cab and got an even better sound. So that's my story.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Awesome. I'm a big MkII and Recto fan on my ElevenRack. I imagine I'd be all over that :fap:

Also, good call for avoiding that Ibanez head. My lead guy has the TSA30H and has had nothing but troubles with it. The local amp guru was even having trouble fixing some cold joints without the traces getting hosed. The thing still cuts out and has become more of a pretty doorstop. :(
He bought my JCA22H as something more reliable.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Mesas are GOOD AS gently caress and someday I'll get a mark whatever they're on combo. When I was in high school my drummer's dad had a Dual Rectofier half stack and I played the gently caress out of that thing too. He didn't care because he had about 20 assorted half stacks and used one of the Marshalls himself.

I fall in love with the mark series again every time I dick around on one though :ohdear:

Turkey Farts
Jan 4, 2013

I also have one of these (but through a Marshall 2x12) and it does eeeeeeverything. Clean, mild crunch, high gain, brutlz. Surprisingly they don't command a very high used price. The only dumb thing is that the footswitch jacks for the channel and reverb are on the front and rear, respectively.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
I have a mini rec, which is essentially the same amp minus the reverb tank. Channel 2 sounds about like you'd expect, but the clean channel on those is seriously underrated. And way louder and more headroom than you'd expect.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I don't know why people don't think of Mesas for cleans, they're based on hot-rodded Fender designs.

Then again the Rectifier series are based on the Soldano right?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Not sure, to be honest. My first "real" head was an old (like, really old; probably the guy who sold it to the store I was working at c. 1998 bought it back when they originally came out) JCM 800 that I had to repair over the course of a few weeks. Turns out the previous owner was a lazy rear end. But well, his loss was my treasure. When I made the switch to using Mesa heads, the change came with the surprise that the cleans were really loving good and that the 2nd channel had actual variety of tones to offer, instead of that lame-rear end overdrive that I heard all those US "alt rock" bands were using it for back in the early 00's.

I discovered some other amps along the way (Dr. Z, Soldano, Cornford, Orange and a bunch more) which were really cool, but seemed to work better for studio purposes or when doing local gigs (which my band at the time seldom did). This may sound corny but that Mark IV was my knight in shining armor when it came to gigging. Finding out that Mesa keeps doing solid amps was a welcome surprise.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

muike posted:

I don't know why people don't think of Mesas for cleans, they're based on hot-rodded Fender designs.

Then again the Rectifier series are based on the Soldano right?

People say that. Then again people say it's based on the 5150 and James Brown ripped off Soldano as well.

e: according to Randall Smith himself the prototype dual rec was a heavily modified Mark IV

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Dec 6, 2015

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
A friend of mine had a band in St. Louis that broke up... poo poo, five years ago or so. Bass player had a new family, drummer had a new kid, and they'd recently spent a good amount of money pressing way too many CDs... that's usually when the band breaks up. And while the drummer took all of his stuff, the bassist didn't. Except for his instruments, at least one of which was a very nice Modulus Jazz-bass copy, he literally abandoned everything there and hasn't picked any of it up. Hell, he hasn't asked about it. When I asked my friend about it, he said that he hadn't even seen the guy since he took his basses and left. And it wasn't a bad band breakup, either. Just... odd.

So why was I talking to my friend about it? Well, we're working on one of his projects, which is a strange cover of a GFR song in the style of Richie Havens. At least, on guitar, it's Richie Havens-esque. I laid down an acoustic bass guitar track, and he's letting me "borrow" an old pedal that the bassist abandoned. And I'm pretty sure it's mine now, as Judge Judy would award it to me on account of its abandonment. (But I'd give it back to the guy if he ever surfaces and asks for it.)

This is the pedal:

This thing sounds pretty drat good. One of the better bass overdrives I've ever heard, really. It doesn't get as distorted like an ODB-3, but for 99% of the distorted stuff I play, that's 100% fine.

meatcookie
Jun 2, 2007

Lefty neckthrough 5-string gigging bass so I can leave my nice bass at home, Peavey Combo 300 so I can be heard and a new Belgian Trappist beer

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Beer on the bass amp is a good way to make a mess.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
Nice Peavey. Reminds me of my KB300, which I'll take out occasionally to small gigs where I don't want to drag around 75 pounds of bass head. And the cabinet.

meatcookie
Jun 2, 2007

FancyMike posted:

Beer on the bass amp is a good way to make a mess.

I only put it there for the photo. Trust me, the whole `bass wavelengths and bottle-conditioned beer` thing`d already occurred to me.

tarlibone posted:

Nice Peavey. Reminds me of my KB300, which I'll take out occasionally to small gigs where I don't want to drag around 75 pounds of bass head. And the cabinet.

It`s nice so far but I only bought it because my drummer finally admitted to me that he couldn`t hear me in certain venues. I`d been using a 75w Fender Rumble and I loved its` sound but if I can`t be heard, it`s pointless. I`d considered a head/cab setup but wanted to minimise the amount of poo poo I`m carrying around. Trying to pare things down to the essentials in a convenient grab-n-go format.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

meatcookie posted:

It`s nice so far but I only bought it because my drummer finally admitted to me that he couldn`t hear me in certain venues. I`d been using a 75w Fender Rumble and I loved its` sound but if I can`t be heard, it`s pointless. I`d considered a head/cab setup but wanted to minimise the amount of poo poo I`m carrying around. Trying to pare things down to the essentials in a convenient grab-n-go format.

Yeah, I can see that.

I have an old (old-ish; it's from the late 1990s) Sunn 300T head. Seventy-five pounds and 300 watts of all-tube backaches. I also have the 4x10+T and 2x15 to go with it. But it's way too much for a lot of gigs, even if I just bring the 410T.

You might still want to look into a head/cab setup because as I just found out about a year ago, Class D amps are all the rage now, especially for bass. We're talking about amps that churn out a few hundred watts, but they fit in your backpack and weigh about 5 pounds. It's ridiculous.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

tarlibone posted:

You might still want to look into a head/cab setup because as I just found out about a year ago, Class D amps are all the rage now, especially for bass. We're talking about amps that churn out a few hundred watts, but they fit in your backpack and weigh about 5 pounds. It's ridiculous.

You can pry my 6lb MarkBass head from my cold dead hands. I can carry my electric, upright, head and cab with total ease in two trips. Electric gigs with my massive cab can be done in one trip.

meatcookie
Jun 2, 2007
Was at Tom Lee the other day picking up new cables and drumsticks and saw this... fell in love. Footprint was approx the same size as my phone-in-its-otterbox.
e: removed crappy phone pic, have a link to their page
Nano Legacy Thunder Bass

meatcookie fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Dec 16, 2015

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Shugojin posted:

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of tonedads suddenly cried out in rage and then shut the gently caress up

John Petrucci crunchlab/liquifire set. Pretty good so far, got the relative tone difference going on that I want for bridge/neck. The crunchlab is pretty much a firebreather and will start ODing the amp with the guitar volume above like 2 or so though. It's got a real tight feel so mutes come through nicely and it's still got plenty of definition on chords. The liquifire is based off the air norton which is basically one of my favorite neck pickups ever and it still does the same things I like from that pickup but is a bit hotter. Harmonics loving bloom out like mad from it. So far my only real complaint is that they aren't God's Chosen Pickup Color, the zebra stripe. But they WERE 20% off so who caaaaares I'll live

Crosspostin'. Got the pickups with the 20% off musicians friend holiday thing. Quite happy so far.

Luna
May 31, 2001

A hand full of seeds and a mouthful of dirt

Grabbed a Squier CV 60s Jazz Bass from GC with the 20% coupon. I'm not a bass player but wanted something to help with songwriting and recording. Can post any real pics as it is still in the box until xmas. I wanted to grab a MIM Fender Jazz but I went apeshit with xmas this year and had to set a hard $300 budget. Regardless, it is a looker.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier/Classic-Vibe-Jazz-Bass-60s-Bass-Guitar-Inca-Silver-with-Matching-Headstock-1408368025598.gc

Hepnotic
Jan 23, 2003
optional; no images are allowed, only text

Luna posted:

Grabbed a Squier CV 60s Jazz Bass from GC with the 20% coupon. I'm not a bass player but wanted something to help with songwriting and recording. Can post any real pics as it is still in the box until xmas. I wanted to grab a MIM Fender Jazz but I went apeshit with xmas this year and had to set a hard $300 budget. Regardless, it is a looker.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier/Classic-Vibe-Jazz-Bass-60s-Bass-Guitar-Inca-Silver-with-Matching-Headstock-1408368025598.gc

Classic Vibes are the business. Cant beat em for their price.

SineRider
Oct 10, 2012

Come on die young

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

That's really disappointing to hear :(

I'm not using mine in a live setting, so maybe it'll last me longer. At least it was fairly cheap

lookslikerain
Jan 10, 2014

If you find yourself in a social situation, make threats.

American Deluxe Telecaster

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Fuckin hell yeah

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

SKB pedal board. Pretty sweet, I've been bitching that I need a pedal board for way too long and we're looking at doing more shows soon, so it'll be pretty useful.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

P90 luv

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Stealthy as gently caress, I love it

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

lookslikerain posted:

Oh my god :fap:

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

lookslikerain posted:

That is one of the nicest Teles I have seen, congrats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
I must know. Is it double bound?!!!