Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Catsformers, more than meows the eye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !

wdarkk posted:

If I wanted to take my Vesta out for a spin, what's the best secondary deflector to use?

That depends in part on what Sci powers you are using or plan to use. There are 3 types of Secondary Deflectors, and each buffs a particular set of Sci powers. 2 of them focus on the de-buff and hold powers and add Radiation DoT damage, while the 3rd is for heal/buff powers and just basically makes them better. You can buy Mk 12 Ultra Rare ones from the R&D station for something like 10k FC and 7k dil. They are also relatively cheap to upgrade if you feel like it.

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Strategic_Secondary_Deflectors

Rahhmi
Aug 18, 2015

GO WEEDJI!

[05/28/2016 12:40:42 AM] Pulse: don't stir up my
personal drama, please
"Autism has become an epidemic!" -President Trump.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I think you might be in the wrong thread

Rahhmi
Aug 18, 2015

GO WEEDJI!

[05/28/2016 12:40:42 AM] Pulse: don't stir up my
personal drama, please

anthonypants posted:

I think you might be in the wrong thread

I don't think you've played Star Trek Online.

fakemirage
Nov 6, 2012

Can't see the haters.

Tunicate posted:

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9702503-star-trek-online%3A-happy-birthday-garrett-wang!

That's right. A giveaway of a full fifty Tier2 ships. The Weslies can't even compare to the chance of winning a Rhode Island.
Getting people to spam twitter sounds pretty cheap.

AotC posted:

RIP Meet the Devs! and One of Them costume contests
Sad day indeed.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
To be fair, it's slightly better than making people share their poo poo on FB/Twitter for a giveaway of a single plastic spaceship that retals for $15 like those Attack Wing giveaways

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Attack Wing is a fun game though, you just want someone else to buy all the poo poo.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie
Do boff space traits stack? Like two humans with Leadership or whatever?

Also teach me the easiest way to not be poo poo at ground combat. I hate it and just want it to be over as soon as possible.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.

revtoiletduck posted:

Also teach me the easiest way to not be poo poo at ground combat. I hate it and just want it to be over as soon as possible.

1. Yes.

2. Ground is fairly easy these days. Early on it's problematic, but late game, with the right gear, you can make just as much a joke of an elite tactical drone on ground as you do a cube in space. If you're looking to make late game ground better, start with your traits being set to boost your damage. All of the damage. Get a TR-116 rifle, and get the fleet armor that boosts your crit sev from the starbase.

Lock Knight
Oct 5, 2012

You're gonna carry that weight.
Cybernetic Crumb
Saw this... thing while popping in to do daily racing crap.

No mention of sexual assault in the biography, so there's a plus, but the fact that they made a character look like an actual child makes me hope they're on some kind of watchlist.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Morglon posted:

Attack Wing is a fun game though, you just want someone else to buy all the poo poo.

I bought the first wave of ships only for no one to play in my community. I'd actually buy them as they release because they are cool little ships, but they release way too many way too fast.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Mondian look what you've done.

raxicorico posted:

Ok. Here is my fan fiction. I put it up on google drive as I turned it into a .pdf to aid in the readability... you will see what I mean.

If you have any issues with the pdf not showing, try the download button in the centre of the screen that appears once you click the link. I noticed that Safari may have an issue with loading it, but is ok if you download it. Chrome and firefox seem ok. Google really need to fix that. Anyhow. Enjoy ;)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6kKApP4l56EcWZldEFEMWtGMnc/view?usp=sharing

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

Wow. That is a lot of fan fiction. Druk's got his work cut out for him.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

revtoiletduck posted:

Be sure you go into settings and change it so Attacking Ends with Combat not a New Target. Then you just walk around like a mobile turret and wait till everything is dead.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie
^^^ I seem to get my rear end kicked a lot and have to hide behind things while my shield regenerates. For reference my dude is a level 59 tactical officer. Maybe my supporting boffs are poo poo?

Technical Analysis posted:

1. Yes.

2. Ground is fairly easy these days. Early on it's problematic, but late game, with the right gear, you can make just as much a joke of an elite tactical drone on ground as you do a cube in space. If you're looking to make late game ground better, start with your traits being set to boost your damage. All of the damage. Get a TR-116 rifle, and get the fleet armor that boosts your crit sev from the starbase.

Thanks! Is the cheap TR-116 worthwhile, or do you just mean the fancy orange one? I am a space poor.

revtoiletduck fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Dec 17, 2015

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

revtoiletduck posted:

^^^ I seem to get my rear end kicked a lot and have to hide behind things while my shield regenerates. For reference my dude is a level 59 tactical officer. Maybe my supporting boffs are poo poo?

Thanks! Is the cheap TR-116 worthwhile, or do you just mean the fancy orange one? I am a space poor.

The purple one works just fine for me. I just use the shotgun personally because it is useful for close encounters :smuggo:

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
I barely fire my own gun these days, just bring three engineers with as many turrets as I can fit and a medic for safety with the turret officer and build turret forts. It's more of a strategy game sending my guys around these days. All that while being dressed as an imperial officer ordering around my storm troopers.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Also, pressing 'Y' will cause your Boffs to attack your currently selected target. Admirals don't walk point!

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
You can switch on auto fire for your ground weapons in the controls menu (scroll right down to the bottom). It's unintuitive and a lot of secondary attacks won't work because I think the system doesn't know what to do with them, but full auto rifles absolutely do. Target and forget.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9705633-star-trek-online%3A-4th-annual-shutup-wesley-event

trendy is literally the best!

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

holy poo poo

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Trendy is the community manager we need right now.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost
http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1209433/earth-spacedock-conquered

Trendy, though, is looking into this.

Zone Chat posted:

[8:47] <Dev> Trendy@pwlaughingtrendy: Not for long. I'ma go hunt some Gorn down.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I have literally been drinking too much and playing other games this week to finish my fanfiction in my recreation time.

I'll probably miss the cutoff but I might toss it up later. I wasn't chasing a prize anyway.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

I'm thinking of coming back to the game, what are the biggest problems right now?

Also is there a deconstruct system before I vend all the things I don't care to store anymore and can't sell?

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Dec 18, 2015

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

The biggest problem with the game right now is the grind from 50 - 60. Though this has been mitigated a bit by the new admiralty system unlocked at 52. Enjoy the grind.

Depending on how long you've been gone, the other grind is getting your gear upgraded from Mk XII to Mk XIV. If you're a super sperg (like most everyone who plays this game, goons included) you won't be able to resist upgrading your weapons further to get them to that epic level. That's where poo poo gets expensive. Don't do it unless you've got dilithium literally pouring out of your rear end.

Sell the poo poo out of that garbage. Ain't no way to break it down.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

What sort of content requires MK14 purples?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Baron Porkface posted:

The one where "I hate it and just want it to be over as soon as possible."

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Baron Porkface posted:

No sort of content, realistically. Until the last upgrade weekend (the only time you should try and upgrade gear) I was absolutely fine running Mk12 blues mixed with stuff I was progressively unlocking from the reputation system.

However, as noted above, upgrading your space guns makes things die faster, which is very good!

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
The problem is that there's nothing to loving do. You'll do the hand full of missions then run the same three queues over and over and over and over all the while keeping your doffing going. The few things that you will do are either super easy or cheap in a way that you will die in one hit no matter what you do, nothing is actually challenging or interesting. If you're out be glad you're out, do something else. It's still not horrible it just offers very little.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Morglon posted:

The problem is that there's nothing to loving do. You'll do the hand full of missions then run the same three queues over and over and over and over all the while keeping your doffing going. The few things that you will do are either super easy or cheap in a way that you will die in one hit no matter what you do, nothing is actually challenging or interesting. If you're out be glad you're out, do something else. It's still not horrible it just offers very little.

Run a new reputation up to T5 every six months or so. Shoot mans.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Log in for 5 minutes every day during events to do the daily activity for free event ships that you'll never fly. It's what I do! :v:

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Do nebulae no longer grant special doff missions?

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012

DancingShade posted:

Log in for 5 minutes every day during events to do the daily activity for free event ships that you'll never fly. It's what I do! :v:

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

Baron Porkface posted:

Do nebulae no longer grant special doff missions?

They do. Fly up to them and click the button to access their special doff missions. If they don't show up, you got hosed by RNGesus. Try again at the next rollover.

Mr Wikstroem
Nov 22, 2007

And now you read this in a seally Svedisch accent Jå?

Technical Analysis posted:

They do. Fly up to them and click the button to access their special doff missions. If they don't show up, you got hosed by RNGesus. Try again at the next rollover.

The autopilot will usually stop short of where you need to be to see the button however since you need to be within 1.5 spacekilometers and it stops at 2.5 or something similar.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Navigation in general is off since they redid sector space. Which is something you just have to know.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

DancingShade posted:

That's how I ended up with both risian ships and soon to be all four breen ships, while still being basically worthless at this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Any thoughts on the Arbiter-class battlecruiser? I'm seriously considering getting it for the Emergency Weapon Cycle trait now that I've finished grinding Reciprocity in the Phantom, and much as I have enjoyed the Eclipse I'm interested in trying a different Fed cruiser for a while.

I'd be particularly interested in suggestions for boff layouts. I know two tac teams and two FAWs, but I don't know what the current meta is for eng/sci/intel. (Are any of the intel boff powers worth having?)

• Locked thread