Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

42F isn't cold. :colbert:

I use mine in sub-zero temps all the time and it's fine. Yes, batteries lose capacity as the temperature drops, but it doesn't get really bad until below freezing temps. Being in your pocket would have kept it plenty warm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
yeah exactly, it isn't cold. that's why i was so confused when it shut off, showed the "charge me" screen, and wouldn't stay turned on until i was back inside and warmed it on laptop exhaust for a bit. I wonder if it's a problem with my specific phone or something more general

emdash fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Dec 18, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That sounds like a problem with your phone. It shouldn't have any issues at all at that temperature.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
They start getting a bit wacky around -15C in my experience. This is why I don't keep my iPod Classic in the car. Though now it's totally useless because of Apple Music.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Anya posted:

Trying out the 3 month Apple Music trial, and while it's okay, I've got SiriusXM in the car so streaming music when driving isn't a priority. Is ITunes Match a decent enough thing? I hate dragging music onto my phone from Windows iTunes so being able to drag it from the cloud whenever sounds like a better choice.

I really liked using Match for "syncing" music all over my devices. It works really well at that too I think. You do not need apple music for that part.

e.pilot posted:

Unlimited is the only reason I stick with Sprint, it's nice just not worrying about it.

On average I use about 5-8gb a month, but sometimes I'll have odd months where I'm away from wifi for whatever reason and use like 15-20.

We found the 1 happy sprint customer!

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

My iPhone 3G was stuck face-down in the snow for 30min at -20c with people skiing over it, gouging out parts of the back plastic. When I found it, it was still powered on and everything worked just fine. There was some moisture in the LCD layer which discoloured it, but once that dried out, it was good as new. Thing's a tank.

At 5C (42F) it should be completely fine. Seems to me it might be an issue with the battery calibration, or just a lemon battery to begin with.

Apple claims down to 0C operating temperature for the iPhone 6 but that's just them being safe, I've definitely used my 6S in lower temps, but that's ambient from the phone's perspective - it'll be warmer in your pocket. There is no way that an outside temperature of 5C should be causing issues.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Dec 18, 2015

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I just got a 6S, and I cannot figure out what to use peek and pop for. Force touching icons seems potentially handy, but peek and pop doesn't. What do you guys use it for?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I just got a 6S, and I cannot figure out what to use peek and pop for. Force touching icons seems potentially handy, but peek and pop doesn't. What do you guys use it for?

Using safari, opening youtube links in the youtube app because apparently that's the only loving way to do it now. Just tapping it does nothing. :downs:

It's a feature in search of a problem to solve but it's also a very new capability so I don't think anyone's really had a chance to do something innovative with it.

Like, I'd like to put an icon on my home screen that indicates my wife. Tapping the icon opens a box to send her a text, and hard pressing gives an option to call her or locate her in find my friends. That's the sort of thing that could get me to buy in to it.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Quick access to some things from the home screen, but to be honest, I've forgotten about it. It's just not that useful.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

xzzy posted:

Using safari, opening youtube links in the youtube app because apparently that's the only loving way to do it now. Just tapping it does nothing. :downs:

It's a feature in search of a problem to solve but it's also a very new capability so I don't think anyone's really had a chance to do something innovative with it.

Like, I'd like to put an icon on my home screen that indicates my wife. Tapping the icon opens a box to send her a text, and hard pressing gives an option to call her or locate her in find my friends. That's the sort of thing that could get me to buy in to it.

Have you tried force touching the contacts in the most frequent contacts list you get when you swipe the screen right from home?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Kalman posted:

Have you tried force touching the contacts in the most frequent contacts list you get when you swipe the screen right from home?

I must have something turned off somewhere because all that ever shows me is suggested apps.

Guess I have something to play with later.

ok_dirdel
Apr 27, 2003

How hosed am I?

My mother-in-law and sister-in-law both had voicemail from over 6 months ago stored on their iPhones. Neither iPhone was set to back up to iCloud or iTunes. I tried to switch them to another carrier by inserting a different SIM card. This apparently cleared all voicemail "history" from the phones, which is something I obviously had never considered happening. The only voice mail I see on the phone was likely pulled from the carrier's servers because it was newer.

Googling this issue indicates that swapping SIM cards changes an identifier/pointer to the messages, but it's not clear if they might still be on the phone. I suspect I am very hosed, and without a backup they are gone, but I'm hoping there is some way to browse the file system to verify?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Force touch and swipe on the keyboard. Enjoy.

Also force touch and swipe from off the left edge of the screen.

There's a lot of stuff it's good for.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Isn't voicemail stored by your carrier ?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
i have a 6s and i barely if ever use force touch. it's very useless and feels unintuitive

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Isn't voicemail stored by your carrier ?

Yes and no. Visual Voicemail downloads the audio to your phone, and will maintain messages long (i.e. indefinitely) after your carrier has purged them.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

MrBond posted:

I really liked using Match for "syncing" music all over my devices. It works really well at that too I think. You do not need apple music for that part.

We found the 1 happy sprint customer!

I wouldn't say happy, though my $25/mo dealer plan is nice.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Pivo posted:

Force touch and swipe on the keyboard. Enjoy.

Also force touch and swipe from off the left edge of the screen.

There's a lot of stuff it's good for.

^^^ These are amazing.

I use peek and pop (mostly peek) a lot in Instagram and Tweetbot.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
This is probably a dumb question but everything wont be erased if I do a hard reset on my 5S, right? I've been having weird battery problems lately and I want to see if doing a hard reset will do anythnig.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What do you mean hard reset? Powering off and rebooting? That's fine and deletes nothing.

If you do a factory reset then yes everything on the phone will be deleted.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Yeah, just holding down the Home and Sleep button at the same time.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

keevo posted:

Yeah, just holding down the Home and Sleep button at the same time.

Absolutely nothing bad will happen. But you should always have a backup just in case you slam your phone in a car door or something.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

xzzy posted:

Or bell curve pricing or something. As you climb to higher percentiles, you start to pay through the nose. People that use zero data are basically free. The average folks in the middle pay about what they've been paying (which would never happen, you know the carriers would configure the tiers so everyone is always paying more).

Caps are stupid, but I do support paying for what I actually use, as long as "average usage" is a fair price and reflects how the average person genuinely uses their data connection.

What makes you think that there's actually any extra cost per GB to the network for traffic you use?

The bell curve you describe is the opposite of reality in terms of where costs and network congestion come from.

I.e. More hardware is required mainly to support more subscribers in an area at peak times, rather than to support people using a few 10s of GB more.

So cost is basically the same per user.
Considering that the carriers think nothing of traffic shaping, there's obviously no need to have caps on top.

There is no fixed cost the carrier must pay per GB of Internet traffic, and the entire scandal over bandwidth caps and "data hogs" is just an excuse to price gouge.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

b b b but the internet is not a big truck

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Evidently "hey Siri" does not work when charging from the Apple smart battery case, which is kind of annoying

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Where does bandwidth come from anyway? This is a hard question to google, but I imagined that if my home connection uses 200gb/month then it's more expensive to serve us than a connection using 50/month. Like, there's a hard cap on the amount of bandwidth available to any two houses, right? And why does my website somehow have unlimited bandwidth for $4/month when most carriers (not mine) want an extra $25 for 100 more gb?

It's got to all be electricity so it must cost something, if only a few pennies.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I don't know dude how much data/electricity does it cost to send a text and I still pay $20/month for those

Capitalism bruh

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

tuyop posted:

Where does bandwidth come from anyway? This is a hard question to google, but I imagined that if my home connection uses 200gb/month then it's more expensive to serve us than a connection using 50/month. Like, there's a hard cap on the amount of bandwidth available to any two houses, right? And why does my website somehow have unlimited bandwidth for $4/month when most carriers (not mine) want an extra $25 for 100 more gb?

It's got to all be electricity so it must cost something, if only a few pennies.

lol no thats not the way communcations infrastructure works.

imagine an isp only serves one customer; you. regardless of whether you are currently using the internet or not, the operation expenditure is exactly the same.

in most utility infrastructure the capital cost (capex, or the amount it costs to create the capacity, whether its in the form of buying and laying fibre optic lines or power lines or water pipes) is many, many times greater than the operational costs (opex, or the cost of maintaining the infrastructure, paying wages, etc.), which is why monopolies exist. its hard to get your foot in the door. once the system is set up, it costs almost exactly the same to run the infrastructure for 1 person all the way to the ceiling limit of the infrastructure. but isps are different from electricity and water. unlike the latter two no resource is consumed at an increasing rate proportional to how highly-utilised the infrastructure is. a water utilities system serving a town of 10,000 obviously pumps less water through its pipes if 1 person is bathing versus all 10,000, and an electrical provider obviously burns more fuel based on how much electricity its customers are using.

the ISP has none of these traits. if anything the opex of an isp is many times more stable than any other utilities. routers don't get worn down the more users connect to and through it, nor do they draw that much more power when more users use it.

of course even though the marginal costs are almost equal, we cant expect customer A who uses the network to check his email once a day to pay the same amount as user B, who downloads 200gbs of linux-isos every day. at some point customer A is going to feel a little cheated and cancel his subscription which means the isp has less income to save and contribute to future capital investments which would build capacity, so ISPs have to price discriminate. but discriminating based on caps on the basis that it 'costs more to service heavier users' leads to ridiculous perceptions of how the internet really works, and it just isn't true.

i think ISPs should just do what they do in my country. all customers have unlimited data allowances, but different price tiers gives you access to different bandwidths. i.e. you can pay for a basic' 50mbps cable connection or pay out the rear end for 1000mbps fibre. this is closer to how the communications infrastructure actually operates.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

a water utilities system serving a town of 10,000 obviously pumps less water through its pipes if 1 person is bathing versus all 10,000, and an electrical provider obviously burns more fuel based on how much electricity its customers are using.

the ISP has none of these traits.

Yes it does. ISP's habitually oversubscribe their service by selling more bandwidth than their equipment in a neighborhood can actually handle. They install equipment for average usage, not peak usage because it would be too expensive to do it any other way. This means if too many people are running at full tilt it starves everyone else on that segment.

This generates complaints, potentially lost customers, and eventually forces them to perform an equipment upgrade.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

xzzy posted:

Yes it does. ISP's habitually oversubscribe their service by selling more bandwidth than their equipment in a neighborhood can actually handle. They install equipment for average usage, not peak usage because it would be too expensive to do it any other way. This means if too many people are running at full tilt it starves everyone else on that segment.

This generates complaints, potentially lost customers, and eventually forces them to perform an equipment upgrade.

Er, yes? None of what you described refutes my point? What you described is exactly a capital expense problem, not an operating expense. And every single utility on earth is built according to average load plus a little room for expansion. No water, electricity, or road network, or airport, or train system is built to be able to sustain every single person using it at the same time.

e: in case you didn't get it, my point was that unlike water or electricity there is no marginal cost associated with serving one additional customer within the constraints of the infrastructural capacity set in the capital expense stage. I.e. if a network is built to support 1tbps then running the system is going to impose the same cost whether or not just one person is loading a webpage at 9mbps or no one is using the network at all, so long as total bandwidth usage stays under 1tbps. In a water or electrical utility, every additional user imposes some kind of cost in terms of the resource being provided (water or energy) or the method to transport it (water pumps, etc.). A telecommunication network suffers from none of these marginal increase in costs.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Dec 19, 2015

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
This is the type of info the likes of Google and Netflix need to squeeze into a nifty 15-20 second commercial that plays right after a Comcast commercial.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I don't know dude how much data/electricity does it cost to send a text and I still pay $20/month for those

Capitalism bruh

SMS texts are a bad example for being one of the most incredible rip-offs ever. It's pager technology, and the character limit is because SMS messages use up the empty dead space at the end of a standard service ping.

Your phone is sending empty SMS messages every single time it does anything with the carrier tower. If you compose and send a message, it piggybacks on the signal. No change in power or usage apart from a script on their end splitting the message out for delivery.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

:thejoke:

ok_dirdel
Apr 27, 2003

Molten Llama posted:

Yes and no. Visual Voicemail downloads the audio to your phone, and will maintain messages long (i.e. indefinitely) after your carrier has purged them.

This is exactly what I believe happened, which is why the more recent messages (<30 days / last 8, whatever) were restored after re-configuring voicemail on the phone. I just didn't realize swapping a SIM card would render the older messages inaccessible. What I can't figure out is whether they were actually removed.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Evidently "hey Siri" does not work when charging from the Apple smart battery case, which is kind of annoying

It's hilarious that they need to go out of their way to stop their 1st party case accidentally solving some forced obsolescence. 3rd party cases are indistinguishable to normal power input to the iPhone, so any existing case lets hey siri work on all previous phones.

(you can also jail-break it on, and the battery drain is not that significant)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

lol no thats not the way communcations infrastructure works.

imagine an isp only serves one customer; you. regardless of whether you are currently using the internet or not, the operation expenditure is exactly the same.

Ok, this is great to know, but where does the hard cap come from and why isn't there one on my website vs. my house?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

tuyop posted:

where does the hard cap come from

Capitalism. And overprovisioning.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

tuyop posted:

Ok, this is great to know, but where does the hard cap come from and why isn't there one on my website vs. my house?

Your website may say it has unlimited bandwidth for $4, but try and make use of that fact and you'll find out very quickly that it really doesn't. The industry decided many, many years ago that it could redefine the word 'unlimited' with the use of an asterisk and small text. How they get away with that poo poo is beyond me, but it's 2015 and it's still standard operating procedure.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

tuyop posted:

It's whatever they think they can sell customers on to maximize revenue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Khablam posted:

It's hilarious that they need to go out of their way to stop their 1st party case accidentally solving some forced obsolescence.

What the hell does this mean?