Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

The Rogue One movie is going to be so good if the dogfighting scenes are on par with how well they were handled in this movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Democratic Pirate posted:

The Rogue One movie is going to be so good if the dogfighting scenes are on par with how well they were handled in this movie.

Agreed. The "Poe kills 10 TIEs" bit was amazing, and the cockpit POV shot during the Starkiller Base assault was beautiful.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

jivjov posted:

I'm not saying that the choice is "remain evil or die", I'm saying that there are consequences for evil, and Vader's crimes were extensive. He did a good thing, killing Sheev and saving Luke. But that doesn't fix 99% of the other things he did.

It's about the ability of others to forgive the evildoer, not erasing the evil that they doed. Something in there also about deciding that it's possible to stop doing evil.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

Kylo Ren is absolutely threatening. He, in fact, kills quite a few people. Someone who is wild, prone to lashing out and capable of great violence is in fact arguably more threatening than someone who is in-control because you do not know when he will lash out.

jivjov posted:

Kylo Ben is INCREDIBLY threatening and scary in VII. He's unpredictable. He cut down Sydow mid-conversation, has force powers virtually unheard of thus far, he goes on berserk temper tantrums with a weapon that could pierce the outer hull of a ship, and kills his own father.

He's got some issues. Parental issues, possible mental issues. and he's taking instruction from Snoke, and who knows what his deal is.

These are not things that make someone threatening. These are things that directly take away from being threatening. These are things that generate pity and laughter.

edit: vvv that would imply that, at any point, Kylo feels like a threat to Our Heroes. Which is laughable.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

These are not things that make someone threatening. These are things that directly take away from being threatening. These are things that generate pity.

I think that "threatening" is a good word to use to describe a threat.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

MisterBibs posted:

These are not things that make someone threatening. These are things that directly take away from being threatening. These are things that generate pity and laughter.

edit: vvv that would imply that, at any point, Kylo feels like a threat to Our Heroes. Which is laughable.

What the gently caress do you even mean? It's laughable that a guy is swinging around a beam of plasma that cuts through matter so casually? That he murders people? And tortures them? Are you a literal sociopath? That's incredibly threatening behavior. If you delivered news to your boss and he started slashing up the walls with a meat cleaver, you should feel very threatened at that moment

Edit: I mean, yeah, some pity would be understandable, since that person is obviously unhinged. But it is ALSO threatening.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!

MisterBibs posted:

People can be pitiable as well as threatening.

As in, almost every serial killer ever.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

You can be pathetic and frightening at the same time. See also: Vader, Darth; people who unearth and publicly air people's personal information or harass people's families because of Feminist Video Games.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

How anyone could find Kylo Ren as an ineffective or a laughing stock of villain is beyond me. He might be pitiful, but he's an absolute terror. The dude is loving nuts. He's a basket case, total mental, with a great abundance of power at his disposal. He does stuff that we've never seen any other Jedi or Sith do; his manipulation of the Force is violent, aggressive, and when paired with his mentally unhinged, yet tragic, personality... that's loving scary. The guy is a force to be reckoned with because of his unpredictability. It might be funny to some because he comes across as a petulant manchild, but he's not the kind of character that other characters would want to laugh at because he'd probably mind gently caress you to death with the Force if you ever made fun of him and his Darth Vader obsession.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

So do you really not get the idea that someone can be kind of sad and pathetic and yet also incredibly threatening? The two are not opposed.

Also Kylo Ren literally captures Rey and could have killed her at that point and he beats Finn into a coma. He also rips the information directly from Poe's mind. Rey is the only one to stand up to him in the entire film at all and she only does that to an already injured Ren

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Dec 20, 2015

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Kylo Ren is what you'd get if Anakin turned to the dark side as a teenager instead of a young adult and just never matured past that point, and also was on steroids.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

MisterBibs posted:

I can't figure out what they are going to do with Kylo's character. The Dude Who Killed Han Solo isn't getting a redemptive arc, and since he started at ineffectual villain, it'll just add to the comedy when he inevitably comes back and gets himself punked again as Rey and potentially Finn get better at their force abilities.

Here's how I see it going down:

A contest of skill vs talent. Given Kylo's begging Vader to let him feel the power of the Dark Side, I suspect his turn came from jealousy at not being the best in the class. When you're a legacy before even being born, it's easy to buckle under the pressure, and he's worked hard for every bit of power he's gained so far. Then Rey comes along who is not only innately stronger than him, but is learning all these tricks without even realizing it. Han respected her, Leia embraced her, Luke will probably train her, you've got a classic "stolen birthright" conflict that will drive Kylo farther, and he will suffer for it. Already his first contest with her resulted in losing his pretty-boy looks and getting badly injured, I think his threat to Our Heroes will be not as an unassailable boss, but as someone who will go to greater and greater depths to show that he can keep up.

The main thing is that Kylo is not full Sith Lord yet, and will be leveling up along with Our Heroes. If they can convey that effectively, they should get an interesting story. If not it will be (as you said) Kylo getting clowned over and over again.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

jivjov posted:

What the gently caress do you even mean? It's laughable that a guy is swinging around a beam of plasma that cuts through matter so casually?

Yes. Very. The Star Wars version of one of the various angry-kid-breaks-keyboard videos found on Youtube.

jivjov posted:

That he murders people?

The only person(s) he kills are unarmed old men, while being backed up by armed guards.

Vader lifted a dude a foot off the ground, crushed a dude's throat, and flung him away like he was garbage. That's a good way of saying "This dude does not gently caress around". Having a lightsaber hissy fit, complete with nonplussed subordinates making it clear he does this a lot is not.

jivjov posted:

If you delivered news to your boss and he started slashing up the walls with a meat cleaver, you should feel very threatened at that moment

Actually, I'd prolly laugh because my boss has ways of threatening me that aren't hissy fits. Hissy fits undermine authority and threat.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Dec 20, 2015

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

teagone posted:

How anyone could find Kylo Ren as an ineffective or a laughing stock of villain is beyond me. He might be pitiful, but he's an absolute terror. The dude is loving nuts. He's a basket case, total mental, with a great abundance of power at his disposal. He does stuff that we've never seen any other Jedi or Sith do; his manipulation of the Force is violent, aggressive, and when paired with his mentally unhinged, yet tragic, personality... that's loving scary. The guy is a force to be reckoned with because of his unpredictability. It might be funny to some because he comes across as a petulant manchild, but he's not the kind of character that other characters would want to laugh at because he'd probably mind gently caress you to death with the Force if you ever made fun of him and his Darth Vader obsession.
Even his own troops are loving terrified of the guy. When something upsets him even a little bit, he lashes out in violent outbursts. He'll whip out his lightsaber and start destroying anything in sight without hesitation, he'll choke out his own people for relaying information to him, etc. Those two Stormtroopers see that he's having an outburst from afar and they run away because they know he has a history of this. He's extremely off balance and dangerous.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

Vader lifted a dude a foot off the ground, crushed a dude's throat, and flung him away like he was garbage. That's a good way of saying "This dude does not gently caress around". Having a lightsaber hissy fit, complete with nonplussed subordinates making it clear he does this a lot is not

You are really dumb. Would you say Jame Gumb in Silence of the Lambs wasn't threatening?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Well Manicured Man posted:

Kylo Ren is what you'd get if Anakin turned to the dark side as a teenager instead of a young adult and just never matured past that point, and also was on steroids.

Anakin did turn to the dark side as a teenager. I always thought it was weird how the audience/goonmind gives him a pass for slaughtering that village because (I guess) he continued being a good pilot and acting conflicted, even though we know he can and will give into his fear and rage and snap. He's already done it once by the halfway point of Clones. Kind of goes to show how misunderstood the prequels are generally.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Dec 20, 2015

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

MisterBibs posted:

Yes. Very. The Star Wars version of one of the various angry-kid-breaks-keyboard videos found on Youtube.

The only person(s) he kills are unarmed old men, while being backed up by armed guards.

Vader lifted a dude a foot off the ground, crushed a dude's throat, and flung him away like he was garbage. That's a good way of saying "This dude does not gently caress around". Having a lightsaber hissy fit, complete with nonplussed subordinates making it clear he does this a lot is not.

[quote="jivjov" post="454052106"]
If you delivered news to your boss and he started slashing up the walls with a meat cleaver, you should feel very threatened at that moment

Actually, I'd prolly laugh because my boss has ways of threatening me that aren't hissy fits. Hissy fits undermine authority and threat.

Waving around a deadly weapon is not a hissy fit.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

jivjov posted:

MisterBibs isn't afraid of a child waving around a gun. He wouldn't know a threat until it literally shot him.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

MisterBibs posted:

Except, a proper comparison would be those various angry, keyboard breaking kids would then go on to kill their own fathers and then toss them off a bridge. Boy that sure isn't scary or threatening at all.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Hey MasterBibs i'm just wondering if you found the villain in this film amusing, like i'm not picking it up from your posts but were you in laughter or even say, in stitches at any point while the villain was on screen? Just want to clarify this since I can't quite tell from your few posts so far on the subject. Because drat that would be controversial and cool as hell if you found the villain so non-threatening that you were laughing at him, so i'd like to know if this is the case.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
^ Not sure if I said it in this or the other thread, but yes, I was laughing at the dude from his "ok, now its safe for me to come down after my troops have pacified the area" intro. Sure, Vader did the same thing, but Vader immediately showed his capability.

jivjov posted:

It is when he's using it to take out his anger out on a computer bank.

Were you equally as intimidated as Bad Cop kicking around chairs in the Lego Movie? I mean, obviously Kylo was, but you?

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
This thread has taken a stupid turn here stop arguing with Mr Bibs you can tell its pointless already can't you?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

hhhat posted:

This thread has taken a stupid turn here stop arguing with Mr Bibs you can tell its pointless already can't you?

He needs to know how dumb he is though. We're trying to help.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I watched a new hope prior to seeing this and all the flaws people are brining up in this movie exist in a new hope. Take that as how you will.
That's because A New Hope is also a mediocre film.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

^ Not sure if I said it in this or the other thread, but yes, I was laughing at the dude from his "ok, now its safe for me to come down after my troops have pacified the area" intro. Sure, Vader did the same thing, but Vader immediately showed his capability.

drat that's cool. Laughing at a villain. drat dude. Stone cold.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mentally conflicted/unhinged people with deadly weapons and a penchant for violent tantrums aren't threatening?

Ooooooooooooookay.......

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I know nothing about this movie, I still haven't had a chance to see it yet and won't until Monday night, and I feel like I have done a goddamn heroic job of avoiding spoilers. Not that I care that much about them, even. I was a Star Wars fan as a kid and I was just looking forward to maye having a fresh, unadulterated experience.

But if FYAD's forum title is a real spoiler it's going to annoy the gently caress out of me and everyone who posts in the same subforums as me will likely breathe a sigh of relief because it'll probably be the final straw in convincing me to stop posting in places that are even peripheral to such bastions of stupidity and pointlessness as FYAD/GBS

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

MisterBibs posted:

So you didn't find Kylo Ren stopping a laser bolt mid-flight impressive? Because that's our first encounter with the level of his powers and I found it to be a "holy gently caress/poo poo/balls" type moment. Then almost immediately after he kills an old, unarmed man without hesitation by like cleaving him in half with his Braveheart lightsaber. [edit] Or did that happen before? Might have been before. Either way, point is Kylo Ren clearly demonstrated his penchant for being a "don't gently caress with me" type character right from the get go.

teagone fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Dec 20, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

kaworu posted:

I know nothing about this movie, I still haven't had a chance to see it yet and won't until Monday night, and I feel like I have done a goddamn heroic job of avoiding spoilers. Not that I care that much about them, even. I was a Star Wars fan as a kid and I was just looking forward to maye having a fresh, unadulterated experience.

But if FYAD's forum title is a real spoiler it's going to annoy the gently caress out of me and everyone who posts in the same subforums as me will likely breathe a sigh of relief because it'll probably be the final straw in convincing me to stop posting in places that are even peripheral to such bastions of stupidity and pointlessness as FYAD/GBS

It's a real spoiler.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Arglebargle III posted:

Anakin did turn to the dark side as a teenager. I always thought it was weird how the audience/goonmind gives him a pass for slaughtering that village because (I guess) he continued being a good pilot and acting conflicted, even though we know he can and will give into his fear and rage and snap. He's already done it once by the halfway point of Clones. Kind of goes to show how misunderstood the prequels are generally.

I meant more of a "what if Anakin had become Palpatine's apprentice during or even before AOTC, as opposed to during ROTS as an at least slightly more mature man". That's what Kylo Ren reminded me of: A brat who can't even pretend to have such noble motives as saving his loved ones from dying.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
war stars

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

teagone posted:

I just wanted to point out that I really like Rey's costuming, especially her fresh getup at the end. Rey :allears:

Strongly disagree, those arm bandage sleeve things are dumb. I'm personally also not a fan of the way culottes look, but whatever.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

kaworu posted:

I've been using bookmarks for like years only revisiting the same threads over and over and never really browsing at all. I saw that forum's title when I went back to the main menu to add this one back to the bookmarks after I saw TFA.

If you liked the OT you'll love it. Come back and chat afterwards! (and this thread is spoilerific, why the hell are you here now?)

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

teagone posted:

So you didn't find Kylo Ren stopping a laser bolt mid-flight impressive?

Absolutely, as a special effect. As a sign of power, not really, since we just had a bad guy a few movies ago take one to the hand. And yes, I did laugh at that scene since it had two stormtroopers trundling over to the Shocked Hero and put him down with a punch and a kick.

Threatening would've seen that big laser bolt hitting him and not even registering that anything happened. "Laser blast? Pfft, I got poo poo to do."

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

Absolutely, as a special effect. As a sign of power, not really, since we just had a bad guy a few movies ago take one to the hand. Threatening would've seen that big laser bolt hitting him and not even registering that anything happened.

This is dumb and just as easily turned around into "Oh, the laser bolt hit him and he didn't feel it? Big deal, a real master wouldn't have been hit at all! :smug:"

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

MisterBibs posted:

Absolutely, as a special effect. As a sign of power, not really, since we just had a bad guy a few movies ago take one to the hand. And yes, I did laugh at that scene since it had two stormtroopers trundling over to the Shocked Hero and put him down with a punch and a kick.

Threatening would've seen that big laser bolt hitting him and not even registering that anything happened. "Laser blast? Pfft, I got poo poo to do."

Except that happens later?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

MisterBibs posted:

It's you, you're the petulant child.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

weekly font posted:

Except that happens later?

When? He certainly reacts to getting the bowcaster bolt to him. I laughed at that too.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

MisterBibs posted:

It is when he's using it to take out his anger out on a computer bank.

Were you equally as intimidated as Bad Cop kicking around chairs in the Lego Movie? I mean, obviously Kylo was, but you?

Do you not know what words mean? I mean; would Kylo Ben have to be pointing right at someone and saying "I will now cut you to pieces" for it to be a threat in your mind? Yes, Kylo is dangerous, unhinged, and pitiful, but he also presents an extreme threat to people around him. He literally kills two different speaking-role people on screen. That is explicit a threat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

MisterBibs posted:

When? He certainly reacts to getting the bowcaster bolt to him. I laughed at that too.

Yes. He reacts by flinching to a gutshot from a gun that was shown to launch people wearing armor and then go on to fight.

I'm sorry to break this to you, but you might be bad at watching movies.

• Locked thread