Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Rigged Death Trap posted:

In comparison to straight 6s v8s didnt do that great until the LS1. Like the twin turbo 2jz and rb26, as well as the bmw s50. All great engines mated to cars that I would prefer to a nineties v8 car.

In fact Id say that now is the real time of the v8, considering how damned good the current slew of US V8s are.

4s and 6s are the best they've been as well (maybe not in terms of sexiness). Turbo'd 4 is in a renaissance. V6s, say the EcoBoost V6, are incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Rigged Death Trap posted:

In comparison to straight 6s v8s didnt do that great until the LS1. Like the twin turbo 2jz and rb26, as well as the bmw s50. All great engines mated to cars that I would prefer to a nineties v8 car.

In fact Id say that now is the real time of the v8, considering how damned good the current slew of US V8s are.

What decade do you think the LS1 is from?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The quasi decade of bad wording.
Meant other than.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Seat Safety Switch posted:

So I saw this article in the latest Car Craft...

Steve Magnante is the physical embodiment of AI, but with a Mopar fetish, instead of Miata. Waiting for new issues of Hot Rod with Wilshire Shaker build updates was basically how I spent high school.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Slavvy posted:

Wait do you actually believe they made an e30 with an m60? Or am I misunderstanding?

Yeah, I don't know BMW engines. I meant a factory e30 wagon with a V8. If the m60 engine is from another type of car that's not what I meant. Did they only have 4 and 6cyl versions then? What I saw was probably a swap, then.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

VikingSkull posted:

Yeah, I don't know BMW engines. I meant a factory e30 wagon with a V8. If the m60 engine is from another type of car that's not what I meant. Did they only have 4 and 6cyl versions then? What I saw was probably a swap, then.

E30 only came with inline 4 and 6 engines. Wagon versions weren't sold in the US. The M60 was used in slightly newer (than E30) 5 and 7 series cars.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Were wagons sold in Canada? I'm in NY so we got Canadian cars regularly. It must have been a swap then, because it was certainly an e30 wagon with a BMW V8. Looked bone stock, dark grey, even had dents on it. Totally looked legit.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

fyodor posted:

4s and 6s are the best they've been as well (maybe not in terms of sexiness). Turbo'd 4 is in a renaissance. V6s, say the EcoBoost V6, are incredible.

Hell, even turbo'd 3s are pretty rad now.

(They've always been rad)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

(They've always been rad)

You're goddamn right.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

:swoon: where have you been all my life.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

1500quidporsche posted:

:swoon: where have you been all my life.

Japan.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

SouthsideSaint posted:

Yeah I'm sorry that car just doesn't do it for me. I work with a geezer who worked for cadillac from 60something to 2009 he tells me all the caddy horror storys. And mind you he never did say anything bad about the CTS wagons just the V6 ones with the timing chain issue. But still that car is to smooth and alien bug like. I would much rather have a Nova wagon with a 6.0 and a turbo attached to a Manuel trans. But there's no good U.S. mid Ninteys V8 Manuel wagon.

Okay, then an LT1 Roadmaster with a T-56 swapped in. I think we even have a poster on here that did that a few years back.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I'm not much for most 4s because their sound range tends to be between weed whacker and stream of farts.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

El Scotch posted:

I'm not much for most 4s because their sound range tends to be between weed whacker and stream of farts.

That's a big reason why my Focus ST will keep the factory exhaust. It's very quiet, therefore doesn't sound like poo poo.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

It's like someone took a Ferrari and said "You know what this needs? More kawaii. Make it kawaii."

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

Night Danger Moose posted:

It's like someone took a Ferrari and said "You know what this needs? More kawaii. Make it kawaii."

"Notice me Enzo-sempai!"

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Huge_Midget posted:

"Notice me Enzo-sempai!"

And that's not even the one-off with Porsche 962 suspension, Ferrari F40 (later F50) brakes, and a 20B engine. (according to Wikipedia at least)

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

It seriously looks like the lovechild of a Ferrari and an RS200. Its absolutely beautiful, I'm not a big fan of JDM cars but I'm genuinely curious what the price one of those would cost in decent condition.

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Dec 21, 2015

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

1500quidporsche posted:

I seriously looks like the lovechild of a Ferrari and an RS200. Its absolutely beautiful, I'm not a big fan of JDM cars but I'm genuinely curious what the price one of those would cost in decent condition.

They're around nine grand (in USD).

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Raluek posted:

Okay, then an LT1 Roadmaster with a T-56 swapped in. I think we even have a poster on here that did that a few years back.

See that's what I'm talking. I grew up in a Malibu wagon as a kid. Then a tracer hatchback. Most of the cars in my life have been early Ninteys boats or econoboxes. So maybe I'm biased but a manual road master wagon tickles me in all the right spots.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Raluek posted:

Roadmaster with a Gen III/IV and a T-56 swapped in. Gen II engines are a waste of everyone's time, at this point.

Fake portholes notwithstanding, I think this is in the right thread:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

1500quidporsche posted:

It seriously looks like the lovechild of a Ferrari and an RS200. Its absolutely beautiful, I'm not a big fan of JDM cars but I'm genuinely curious what the price one of those would cost in decent condition.

Out of the three RWD sportscars, cappuccino is hopelessly cramped, I've never driven an AZ-1, and the beat is absolutely perfect. Perfect engine, incredibly roomy and well designed interior and fantastic handling. Not turbo admittedly but the ITB's and sheer hondaness make up for that.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I do find the whole kei car segment amazing since their design is so restricted, its mystifying why all the manufacturers insist on being a segment that has limited to no development/growth. I'm surprised nobody has attempted to make a racing series out of them because the rules have pretty much already been written.

It'd actually be loving amazing having group B but with manufacturers developing the poo poo out of little 3 cylinder cars thinking about it, just lift that horsepower restriction.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

It looks more like the Ford RS200

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

MrYenko posted:

Roadmaster with a Gen III/IV and a T-56 swapped in. Gen II engines are a waste of everyone's time, at this point.

Fake portholes notwithstanding, I think this is in the right thread:

I agree that it's pointless to put an LT1 into something that didn't already have one, but it's a much easier project to switch transmissions than it is to do the whole powertrain. Plus, LT1 T56s are much cheaper than LS1 T56s.

But you're right, the platonic ideal of 99% of cars is "... with a Gen III/IV and a T-56 swapped in."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I want a Kei car SO loving MUCH.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

SouthsideSaint posted:

I feel like these didn't make it to america. A V8 manual wagon of any make would be amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN4HXw7DI68

not US but I don't care.

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Dec 21, 2015

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

1500quidporsche posted:

I do find the whole kei car segment amazing since their design is so restricted, its mystifying why all the manufacturers insist on being a segment that has limited to no development/growth. I'm surprised nobody has attempted to make a racing series out of them because the rules have pretty much already been written.

It'd actually be loving amazing having group B but with manufacturers developing the poo poo out of little 3 cylinder cars thinking about it, just lift that horsepower restriction.

The segment exists due to bizarre Japanese law stating you can have a car even if you have no place to park it as long as it's within certain dimensions and power output. That and there's a bunch of tax benefits that basically encourage them to be bought.

I've been looking at Beats since forever, it just seems like a fantastic car that wants you to thrash the poo poo out of it but is also a car that'll probably never get you a speeding ticket...

And AZ-1s are the poo poo.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Rhyno posted:

I want a Kei car SO loving MUCH.

Seconded. Though maybe not the best idea here in Texas, even a Miata may be too small for the brotruckers (and actual work trucks) to see...

What kind of displacement/power/physical size do the Kei-car I3s have? I know a guy at a Triumph dealership, could probably get a line on a wrecked Speed Triple for an engine swap (1050cc/135PS, whatever that means -- I thought the Brits still used horsepower).

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Delivery McGee posted:

Seconded. Though maybe not the best idea here in Texas, even a Miata may be too small for the brotruckers (and actual work trucks) to see...

What kind of displacement/power/physical size do the Kei-car I3s have? I know a guy at a Triumph dealership, could probably get a line on a wrecked Speed Triple for an engine swap (1050cc/135PS, whatever that means -- I thought the Brits still used horsepower).

660cc and about 63bhp as in the 90s that's all they could be bothered to get out of the tiny engines in the beginning. Obviously more is possible these days with turbos and superchargers but they've stuck to 63bhp as the target number for some reason.

Cappuccino and AZ-1 were turbo as standard and some Suzuki monstrosity came with a supercharger from factory. I forget which model it was. All were still 63bhp.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Dec 21, 2015

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

So I saw this article in the latest Car Craft:

The Legend of the Hillbilly Hell Shack

It sort of, uh, there's some uncomfortable comparisons going on here. I showed it to my wife, laughing, but she didn't laugh. She didn't laugh :(

Why didn't she laugh

Oh god she knows this is how it ends

Wait her car started in the driveway where are you going honey

At least there will be free kittens. And an altered-wheelbase Fairmont.

This maniac apparently lives 15 minutes from me, I might have to tell him about the best old-iron junkyard I know of in the region since it's in his town. If he doesn't already know.

Also, I've been agitating for a manual swap in the girlfriend's Roadmaster (it's purple and woodgrain, has no portholes, and sadly no whitewalls yet) for some time - there's a kit available that makes F body parts fit a B body vehicle, or we could homebrew it. It's an L05 car not an LT1, but that's just another excuse for a Gen3/Gen4 swap.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Delivery McGee posted:

They're smaller than the smallest car you've ever driven. About the size of a classic mini. They usually have very generous engine bays by bike engine standards though; you could easily fit a busa powerplant in the back of a beat.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

kastein posted:

This maniac apparently lives 15 minutes from me, I might have to tell him about the best old-iron junkyard I know of in the region since it's in his town. If he doesn't already know.

Also, I've been agitating for a manual swap in the girlfriend's Roadmaster (it's purple and woodgrain, has no portholes, and sadly no whitewalls yet) for some time - there's a kit available that makes F body parts fit a B body vehicle, or we could homebrew it. It's an L05 car not an LT1, but that's just another excuse for a Gen3/Gen4 swap.

I'm pretty sure the LT1 is externally identical to a late (1-piece RMS, 86+) gen1 SBC on the back, so LT1 parts should let that motor plug right into an LT1 T-56.

But of course don't let that persuade you away from an LS1 T-56 and an LQ4.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
:shlick: ohhhh don't stop.....

When I was in high school the automotige teacher had a student that would stop by randomly to talk, and he had a caprice wagon turned into an impala SS with a sbc. It's really what made me love loud and fast wagons.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

kastein posted:

I dunno, a Roadmaster doesn't seem right without a column shifter and a "I'll shift when I'm good and ready" slushbox.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdBuwzRAEAw

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Love the juxtaposition of his loony-pants driving and the innocent smilie sticker on the back window.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Not to mention the inability to keep the front inside tire on the ground in a corner. That's some fine suspension!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Raluek posted:

I'm pretty sure the LT1 is externally identical to a late (1-piece RMS, 86+) gen1 SBC on the back, so LT1 parts should let that motor plug right into an LT1 T-56.

But of course don't let that persuade you away from an LS1 T-56 and an LQ4.

If it got any sort of swap it'd be a junkyard T56 (whichever shows up first - which means none of them) or NV4500 (if it needs to shift and tow like a truck) attached to whatever 6.0L junkyard vortec shows up first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnrbWoPNi70

:perfect: