Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

canyoneer posted:

Everyone knows Raiders of the Lost Ark is the Landis family's favorite George Lucas film.

Nice, but I thought it was Temple of Doom. Raiders didn't have enough Asian slave labor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

This was the card that Steve was given. Seems pretty clear it was his fuckup. I doubt the others knew who the winner was so they just ran with what he announced.

Oof. I just watched that bit. For someone who presents TV shows that's an elementary level gently caress up.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

This was the card that Steve was given. Seems pretty clear it was his fuckup. I doubt the others knew who the winner was so they just ran with what he announced.

Well, there is it...Steve Harvey can't read. Or spell 'Philippines.'

That man's brain must be scrambled to hell and back.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Well, there is it...Steve Harvey can't read. Or spell 'Philippines.'

That man's brain must be scrambled to hell and back.

I don't think that was ever in doubt.

Indolent Bastard has a new favorite as of 16:43 on Dec 21, 2015

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Glory to the Gasterous Ball!

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

At first glance I thought this was a misprint. Why would you list the two runners up at the top left and then list the winner in the bottom right under a completely different heading? That's not how lists are supposed to be presented.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Why not just say 3rd and 2nd place? Who says runner up?

But gently caress Steve Harvey anyway

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

Cpt Thorne posted:

Has science gone too far?

ayn rand hand job posted:

it hasn't gone too far unless i can pet one kitty's head while petting another kitty's head

...Did you mean to say pet a kitty's head while petting the kitty's other head?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Phyzzle posted:

...Did you mean to say pet a kitty's head while petting the kitty's other head?

Nope. You read it right. The man wants the tech to allow him to touch two cats at the same time. Come on science.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Indolent Bastard posted:

If you haven't seen TFA and want to remain 100% unspoiled maybe skip this post and probably the linked video.

Max Landis (screen writer and son of John Landis) has caused thousands of nerds to get super angry that he has an opinion that is less than glowing about the Force Awakens and specifically the character of Rey.

The video summarizes a few dozen of his tweets https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpS6TlqgLIQ

Hop on to his Twitter feed https://twitter.com/Uptomyknees to see the well reasoned and thoughtful responses he has received for having an opinion.

Its schadenfreude coming at you from all sides.

Dude comes off as kind of a dickhead tbh. "Ugh this icky girl is a MARY SUE from a fanfic in my fun action space movie. See she's different from how Luke Skywalker was portrayed because"

You could make literally the same argument about how Luke was portrayed yet he doesn't hmmmm I wonder why....

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Nope. You read it right. The man wants the tech to allow him to touch two cats at the same time. Come on science.

As a person with three cats and a dog, I can definitively say that no such technology will ever exist. Man will never pet a cat and any other animal at the same time.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

NeurosisHead posted:

As a person with three cats and a dog, I can definitively say that no such technology will ever exist. Man will never pet a cat and any other animal at the same time.

They said the same thing about walking on the moon and Niel Armstrong kicked that fucker right in the face! There is no limit to the amount of animals petted at the same time for man to accomplish!

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

They said the same thing about walking on the moon and Niel Armstrong kicked that fucker right in the face! There is no limit to the amount of animals petted at the same time for man to accomplish!

Big deal there's not even any cats there.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

OldTennisCourt posted:

Dude comes off as kind of a dickhead tbh. "Ugh this icky girl is a MARY SUE from a fanfic in my fun action space movie. See she's different from how Luke Skywalker was portrayed because"

You could make literally the same argument about how Luke was portrayed yet he doesn't hmmmm I wonder why....

Except that he does discuss Luke and how much he is a bumbler for most of A New Hope (and even in later films). He also doesn't ever call Rey an icky girl, her gender is irrelevant to the point he is making.

I love that nerds are getting super steamed about this when what he is essentially saying is that flawed characters are more interesting and he wished that she was allowed to be more interesting instead of "unstoppable lead character" which is dull.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

OldTennisCourt posted:

He actually does make that exact argument.

He spends 2 minutes talking about why Luke's character is good because he kinda sucks at everything.

I dunno - I kind of agree with him. I left Episode IV being scared shitless of Darth Vader and seriously wondering if Luke was going to be able become the hero he needed to be.

Spoilered because episode VII:

In contrast I left Episode VII hoping that Kylo Ren is actually NOT the villain for the rest of the series - that he's more of a slightly extended Darth Maul and gets killed off quickly in the VIII. He was straight up bumbling in places and that made him kind of a weak villain. The stuff with Rey just sort of compounds it. He's had all this training and is all "you need a teacher - let me teach you!" during the light saber duel - which is literally her first time lighting up a saber - and she's basically winning. That line sounded so stupid since she was basically kicking his rear end already.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I had to look up Max Landis' film credits to see if he had written anything good or notable and the answer is nooooooope.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I'm willing to admit he may have points about her and Luke's issues with regards to writing. I think people were just so used to dorks being pissed off at a female lead being extremely prominant in the promotion of and in the film itself of a Star Wars movie that seeing a dude make a tweet like that caused people to assume that it's just another nerd whining about "Women in my space movie! :qq:"

CowboyKid
May 29, 2008

canyoneer posted:

I had to look up Max Landis' film credits to see if he had written anything good or notable and the answer is nooooooope.

Neither did Ebert.

And Landis isn't wrong. The new movie will lose it's luster on multiple viewings.

CowboyKid has a new favorite as of 19:29 on Dec 21, 2015

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

HaB posted:

He actually does make that exact argument.

He spends 2 minutes talking about why Luke's character is good because he kinda sucks at everything.

I dunno - I kind of agree with him. I left Episode IV being scared shitless of Darth Vader and seriously wondering if Luke was going to be able become the hero he needed to be.

In contrast I left Episode VII hoping that Kylo Ren is actually NOT the villain for the rest of the series - that he's more of a slightly extended Darth Maul and gets killed off quickly in the VIII. He was straight up bumbling in places and that made him kind of a weak villain. The stuff with Rey just sort of compounds it. He's had all this training and is all "you need a teacher - let me teach you!" during the light saber duel - which is literally her first time lighting up a saber - and she's basically winning. That line sounded so stupid since she was basically kicking his rear end already.

The worst part was when she suddenly could use the force in ways that only Jedi with years of training could do in about an hour.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

canyoneer posted:

As CineD will tell you, Chronicle is probably the closest we'll get to a live-action Akira, and he gained Internet notoriety because of this thing which is admittedly pretty great (I hate wrestling):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYvMOf3hsGA

But yeah, he overreaches and gets very emotionally invested in stuff, which makes him pretty good fodder for this thread.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
For context, a lot of the same anti-feminist/MRA/Gamergate cockwombles who got all pissy over Fury Road having a kickass woman in it are currently all raging over The Force Awakens having a kickass woman in it. Not really a great moment to try and have a discussion about if she's too kickass when you have people like "literally a rapist" Roosh declaring the film to be anti-men.

For thread related content, one YouTube commenter (I know, shut up) was being all pissy about not watching The Force Awakens because Disney destroyed the Expanded Universe and he's still upset that the dude with lightsabers all over his body no longer exists. Check his channel and he's another full on Gamergater too. So a pissbaby is upset Chewbacca didn't get a moon dropped on him, the new film is awesome, and all the worst people on the internet now feel they have to avoid Star Wars as you can't wear a fedora and a replica Stormtrooper helmet at the same time.

Life is good.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Grown ups who have strong opinions about Star Wars is my personal emotional dessert

Geek tears, so delicious

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

f#a# posted:

As CineD will tell you, Chronicle is probably the closest we'll get to a live-action Akira, and he gained Internet notoriety because of this thing which is admittedly pretty great (I hate wrestling):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYvMOf3hsGA

But yeah, he overreaches and gets very emotionally invested in stuff, which makes him pretty good fodder for this thread.

Did he react this badly when Victor Frankenstein was such a flop last month? I actually paid to watch it because I kinda have a thing for Frankenstein movies, and I have to say that it was a well shot movie with good acting, and absolutely boring writing. Like, it was painfully clear that 100% of the blame for why the movie was so lame was square on Landis' shoulders.

canyoneer posted:

Everyone knows Raiders of the Lost Ark is the Landis family's favorite George Lucas film.

:pusheen:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

CowboyKid posted:

Neither did Ebert.

And Landis isn't wrong. The new movie will lose it's luster on multiple viewings.

Saw it Friday for free, will probably never watch it again. And this is someone that has actually watched the prequels more than a few times each. Honestly, it just came off as generic sci-fi movie #8099087876.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
Haha, the best thing about this gif is missed out....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOAb4UXMVl0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HG122_x-Sw

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Alright folks, since you asked, here are MY Star Wars opinions

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

HaB posted:

That implies that she had training before being left on Jakku and Kylo's back-firing attempt at reading her mind unlocked some kind of mental blockade. His offering is for learning the Force, as he thinks she is only Force sensitive.

And not to turn this into an episode VII discussion

canyoneer posted:

Not enough children.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Miss Universe 2015 Elminination Card. Huh.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
What do they even judge on? Are there complicated blood flow measurement systems connected to the judges' packages that go DING when the winner steps up?

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Lurking Haro posted:

Not enough children.

Almost there......

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Lurking Haro posted:

Not enough children.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Two more wrong winner announcements (courtesy of the Guardian)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ch55p8Y_MCQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqiD0KTZrKE

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

canyoneer posted:

This took me a bit.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

As an aside, this is like the shittiest format this card could be in. Who the hell designed that

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Azhais posted:

As an aside, this is like the shittiest format this card could be in. Who the hell designed that

Since its TV, the answer to any problem is always either an unpaid intern or a highly paid producer/director.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

canyoneer posted:

His father killed a couple of kids and directed some of the best comedies of all time.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

I was gonna write about Star Wars but then I remembered posting opinions on the internet is futile and no one actually cares about any of this including me so I didn't.

Thank you for reading my post and god bless.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

ranbo das posted:

I was gonna write about Star Wars but then I remembered posting opinions on the internet is futile and no one actually cares about any of this including me so I didn't.

Thank you for reading my post and god bless.

tl;dr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless