Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I found a helpful article on a forum about common problems and fixes for Rav4s. Looks like the usual fix for a manual that jumps out of 5th is to replace it. Had a quick look around and the parts cost about $600. What a load of horseshit. 5 gears is a luxury anyway. Who needs it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Siochain posted:

Yeah, no, they'll stick with it just fine. Depends on your system, but I've seen 150-200+ tabs open without issues. Until it closes and re-opens.

If you set it to re-open the tabs you had left on close, Firefox, at least, won't load every open tab back into RAM if it's closed and re-opened; just the one(s) that have focus on opening. I have 236 tabs "open" in Firefox right now, but only about 10 of them are actually loaded.

Edit: I just checked and Firefox is using ~2.13 GB of RAM.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

General_Failure posted:

I found a helpful article on a forum about common problems and fixes for Rav4s. Looks like the usual fix for a manual that jumps out of 5th is to replace it. Had a quick look around and the parts cost about $600. What a load of horseshit. 5 gears is a luxury anyway. Who needs it.

That's actually not bad, if it was an automatic you'd be properly hosed.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Mat_Drinks posted:

Re: Ricco getting asked about SANs, I wouldn't be surprised if the HR person was asking the question to see if he could also qualify for another job.

I was going to say this. They liked your CV enough to wonder if you could fill any other vacancies too.
Good luck in your phone interview.

I fitted a new cat on my project saab on Sunday:

This cat isn't mine but is now my shadow whenever I leave the house (and inside the house too whenever she can get in)

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

leica posted:

He's lucky the threads in the head are still holding. Depending on the engine it has.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Land Rovers jump out of 3rd when they start getting a bit worn. A bungee strap holding the gearstick pulled toward the dashboard is the time-honoured bodge to get around it.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

leica posted:

That's true. The gear replacement looks poo poo easy too. It can be done without removing the transmission. What gets me is there were no signs of anything beforehand. No moving stick, no vibration or judder, nothing. Just driving along the highway and it suddenly pops out and won't stay under throttle any more.

InitialDave posted:

Land Rovers jump out of 3rd when they start getting a bit worn. A bungee strap holding the gearstick pulled toward the dashboard is the time-honoured bodge to get around it.

Same with ACVWs. Been considering it. Driving along with the revs at 3500+rpm is kind of irritating. My hand cramped up pretty badly holding the stick in place for a couple of hours straight too. gently caress the selector fork. If the 5th assembly is screwed what does it matter anyway.

SouthsideSaint posted:

He's lucky the threads in the head are still holding. Depending on the engine it has.

Which engine does this? I mean everything on that car is so tiny and cute. Wouldn't surprise me that it applies to head studs too.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I've had 8GB of RAM in my desktop box since 2008. Firefox routinely sits between 1-2GB used, and crashes somewhat frequently (thanks Flash!).

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

InitialDave posted:

Pretty much high lights any thing Land Rover (Yet I still like my clunky leaky suvs)

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Also applicable to Mk1 VWs. Every shift feels like you're sticking your hand into a bag of gravel and taking the gear out by hand.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
In fairness, while Series Landies tend to have a hell of a lot of slop in the lever after a few decades of (ab)use, they don't shift that badly, especially once you're used to them. Certainly a lot of FWD transverse linkage or cable setups can be a rubbery random number generator on a good day.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Pretty much high lights any thing Land Rover (Yet I still like my clunky leaky suvs)

I like how 3 and 4 are next to each other.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

General_Failure posted:

I like how 3 and 4 are next to each other.

well, you just gotta stir through the gravel to find the correct gear.

InitialDave posted:

In fairness, while Series Landies tend to have a hell of a lot of slop in the lever after a few decades of (ab)use, they don't shift that badly, especially once you're used to them. Certainly a lot of FWD transverse linkage or cable setups can be a rubbery random number generator on a good day.

No worse than driving grain trucks this fall. One had a 10 speed (fuller I think) it was terrible. But of course you know farmers take really good care of their equipment when its not being used.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
A CHALLENGER APPEARS

Good luck to the next fuckin elephant that comes in my backyard.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Adiabatic posted:

Good luck to the next fuckin elephant that comes in my backyard.

Is your fat neighbor aware that you are stalking him?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

We are truly in the future. Welcome, gentlemen.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I drive to Titusville to watch it live and uh

HYPE LEVEL MAXIMUM SPACE JUST HAPPENED IN A BIG rear end WAY

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Enourmo posted:

I drive to Titusville to watch it live and uh

HYPE LEVEL MAXIMUM SPACE JUST HAPPENED IN A BIG rear end WAY

We can go to space AND bring home the big boy. I love the loving future.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

So loving awesome.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Android 6 finally dropped for my phone. :neckbeard:

But nobody has figured out a way to flash the stock ROM to a modified phone.. without going back to stock 5.x first. And the only site that seems to host the stock images seems to be on a single channel ISDN line (I've had the stock 5.1 image downloading for over 4 hours now). :argh: Looks like I'm sticking to CyanogenMod for a bit.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Oh hey 101 new posts!

:vince:

See ya later!

Oh hey neat over 100 new posts in here what's goin......

oh.

kastein posted:

You successfully broke my tables with triple monitors.

Yes, I know I have a lot of tabs open in Chrome...

You really need this if you want to stop murdering your RAM.

General_Failure posted:

Try changing the gearbox oil. Seriously. I've had a couple of cars that would pop out of 5th from worn synchros, some fresh oil (or whatever lube that gearbox uses) helped immensely.

My Altima would start popping out of 5th anytime it was low on gearbox oil, and for some reason even using OEM axle seals would result in it leaking within a month.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

The Locator posted:

So loving awesome.

Both the launch, re-entry, and landing all in one long exposure.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Went to LA for the weekend, and the AIest car I saw was a McLaren 650 or 675. He was tearing it from light to light on Sunset.
The most common model was either the Tesla S or putting antlers and Rudolph nose on your car.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I always thought fat bikes were like five grand. If there's an entry-level way to get involved they seem like hilarious fun in winter.

This is the cheapest good one you can get:
http://www.momentum-biking.com/us/bikes/rocker/white-orange
acceptable spec for $600.

kastein posted:

they bagged some group of guys in a ratty rear end E series van with like 30k in cash, a couple hundred grand worth of drugs, and almost everyone in the van had a warrant out on them, all because the retards couldn't do a walkaround and make sure all their lights worked before rolling out.

I'm not saying it's right - pretense stops annoy the poo poo out of me, since all I'm ever guilty of is driving a shitcan - but the cops go for easy targets on stuff like this.

Haha, that explains it. I was driving a white rental E250 full of fraternity pledges. At least it wasn't a panel van. Come to think of it, that was the only V10 I drove before the VIper.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

some texas redneck posted:

Try changing the gearbox oil. Seriously. I've had a couple of cars that would pop out of 5th from worn synchros, some fresh oil (or whatever lube that gearbox uses) helped immensely.

My Altima would start popping out of 5th anytime it was low on gearbox oil, and for some reason even using OEM axle seals would result in it leaking within a month.

I'm thinking this. Fluid change is usually my first stop when something fails. I've probably got the right grade and type in the shed already. I'm going to check the manual and go investigate the linkages too. It was just too abrupt and severe for normal wear as far as I'm concerned.

Holy poo poo Did SpaceX pull off a successful landing? I've gotta go check that out later. In the mean time I have important Mad Max meets McGuyver levels of fuckery to perform to get some motorized and human powered entertainment happening for the kids this school holidays before they drive me insane!

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I applied for unemployment just for shits and giggles on Friday. Since I made a gently caress load of money earlier this year my estimated weekly payment would be more than if I worked 40/hrs at the place I just got canned from on Friday. Still processing though and I highly doubt it'll go through. Would be nice until I landed a new job tho.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Long day. It went from *holy poo poo I can't stop laughing* to *Oh gently caress who checked the oil last in this truck, THUD THUD THUD*.

I headed up to Washington to drop my Son off with the grand parents for a few days. We were talking about where to stop and eat. He reads a sign that says Burger King. I say no, he reads the next sign "Oh! I like Hooters, let's go there!". Cue silent laughter.
"Do you know what hooters are?"
"No"
"They're Owls"
"I like Owls! Are there any Owls out right now?".
"No, it's daytime"
"Can we go look at hooters tonight when it's dark out?"
I had to change the subject, I was going to burst out laughing if he kept going.

An hour later, driving through a wind/rain/sleet storm, the truck starts bucking. It had been running sluggish in the high wind and with 333k, I thought nothing of it until then. I nursed it off the road and checked the oil. Motherfucker. There was NOTHING on the dipstick. I put in the spare quart I keep in the cab and the dipstick was still dry. I found a local hardware store at the next exit that carried oil. Two additional quarts later, the dipstick showed 1/2 full. I decided what the hell and tossed 1/2 a quart of Lucas in it. I know it's snake oil, but drat it. It had no symptoms outside of the bucking under load- it idled, ran smooth, and never went above operating temp. It made it to our destination, 60 miles away. It did buck a few more times initially, but I stopped and checked the oil again at a rest stop. It was down just a bit, so I topped it off again. I then drove it another 40 miles, let it cool for three hours and drove it back to my parents. I'll check it in the morning before I leave. Figured I would rather drive home in the daylight incase I need a tow. Ugh. It's been a good truck, I hope I didn't kill it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I know from personal experience that the fuel pumps are a weak spot on that generation F-150 (I'm assuming it's the red one seen in some photos in your thread, right?)

Finally took a poo poo right after we filled it up. :suicide: It would idle fine, and usually drive fine, but would randomly start bucking and losing power, and now and then it would be hard to start. Though the fuel pump went out around 100-110k, intake manifold cracked around 115k, and the transmission crapped out around 120k. It has around 125k on it now (2001, 5.4 2WD).

Those things hold about 6-7 quarts of oil, right? As long as you weren't beating on it it may have survived. Hell the 351M I had in mine handled being run dry multiple times, and kept on going with only a slight knock (and about 5 PSI at idle, ~25-30 at highway speeds) for several years.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Two updates on life today.

1, that Mazda6 I could have had for "free" was given to the brother of one of the group home clients. He put in a new battery and it still wouldn't start. I'm told he put a weekend and $100 into getting it rolling, failed and sold it for scrap and barely broke even due to the stupidly low price of scrap metal right now.

2, the comic shop I was hired to consult on a few months ago in Michigan crashed and burned as it turned out one of the three partners had been stealing money from their accounts. Kind of sucks but since they pretty much ignored everything I told them I wasn't shocked to hear it wasn't going to happen.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

extreme_accordion posted:

Wife dodged 2 vehicular homicide attempts and 3 no look back out accidents in the same parking lot today.
She regaled me with this story before I went the the hardware store warning me, "Be careful, they are f***ing insane today!"

I have a feeling the grocery store is the locus of insanity on Sunday.

Trader Joes or Whole Foods?

corn in the fridge posted:

Maybe because there's like 3 actual car people in this subforum and the rest of you are it guys with a passing interest in cars

I don't see anything wrong with that.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

are the car people lower half car and upper half people or upper half car and lower half people?

I'm trying to imagine...logistics...

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

If you don't know what a car people is you're in the wrong place *flicks e-cigarette at you*

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

LloydDobler posted:

Basic chains are only $30-$40, no? I'd hit a Walmart for the cheapest option. They should take the return as well.

Oh, and if you do have to use them, do yourself a favor and just take the whole wheel off to install. You'll end up saving half an hour or so. Doing it on the car is such a mess and most of the time they don't stay. And if they come off while driving they flail all the paint off the quarter panel. Not good for a rental.

I figured Walmart would be easiest. However I think we will just do the coast instead.

Negromancer posted:

Drive up the coast. Much more interesting and scenic drive and does not add that much more time to the trip. Especially if you have never driven up the California/Oregon/Washington coasts before. Some of the most beautiful scenery in the country along that stretch.

I did the same thing to avoid the snow when I bought my old mr2 in San Jose and drove it home to Seattle. Took 2 days to get to Seattle, and that included not leaving SF till ~1 in the afternoon and then stopping to visit some friends in Portland, and still made it home before 8pm.

We have done the coast many many times (and my father in law and other members of my wife's family have worked as forest rangers up and down the coast and they like to point out which bathrooms they built) and it is indeed beautiful. We were just hoping to do it faster. However, combine driving with chains on and having to put them on and take them off, I think it will probably even out in the end. We've decided to do the coast just to avoid the whole headache. Gonna be a long drive in the wet tomorrow but I'll be happy to see the folks and work on an old tractor with dad.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Paid that bitch off completely. :feelsgood: Granted, it's a pretty low limit card, but it was maxed out. Put a pretty sizable dent in my other two cards too - one isn't nearly as much of a priority since it's a much lower APR (9.9%), the other is 24.99% and I want to get it paid off ASAP. Should be able to get both paid off within a month.

... then it's just $20k in student loan debt to deal with. :suicide: But at least the interest rates on those are semi-manageable... at least compared to the two high interest cards. Also the car, but it's pretty close to paid off.

What doesn't feel good: pretty sure I got food poisoning. Thought it was my IBS flaring up, but I didn't think my body could contain so much liquid. My rear end is so raw from making GBS threads nonstop that I'm wondering if CSB snuck in and tore me a new one without any lube.

CharlesM posted:

Trader Joes or Whole Foods?

As someone who worked for Whole Foods for several years - part of that time spent being a parking lot bitch (I mean, getting carts), I'm pretty confident it was Whole Foods.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Dec 22, 2015

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

El Jebus posted:

We have done the coast many many times (and my father in law and other members of my wife's family have worked as forest rangers up and down the coast and they like to point out which bathrooms they built) and it is indeed beautiful. We were just hoping to do it faster. However, combine driving with chains on and having to put them on and take them off, I think it will probably even out in the end. We've decided to do the coast just to avoid the whole headache. Gonna be a long drive in the wet tomorrow but I'll be happy to see the folks and work on an old tractor with dad.
Have fun, it is beautiful, only real risk is getting stuck behind the occasional 35mph RV.

Saw the Star Wars today, and as a lifelong fan I walked away very satisfied.

Also this AI related trailer cracked me the gently caress up, I was chuckling halfway through the next trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY73vFGhSVk

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Somewhat Heroic posted:

If you don't know what a car people is you're in the wrong place *flicks e-cigarette at you*

You can tell who's changed their own oil and who hasn't

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

CharlesM posted:

I don't see anything wrong with that.

I never said or meant to imply anything of the sort

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Just got done with the phone interview. Got set up for an in-person interview with all the big wigs tomorrow morning.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Good luck.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Please don't toke up to celebrate. Please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Haha no way man. Spending the rest of the afternoon reading up on SAN and Mainframe storage. The lady I did the phone interview with me sent me a list of things the big wigs will be asking me about tomorrow so I can study up. It looks like the majority of the job is testing and troubleshooting fiber optics cabling and ordering replacement pre-termed cables.

Just called HR at the college I applied to on Friday that I have some contacts that work there and they are still waiting for more applications to interview. Just saw and applied to another open position at another college that my old telecom teacher works at and put him as a reference. Blah.

Whelp never mind. They just called back and decided not to have me come in after all. -_-

Super Aggro Crag fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Dec 22, 2015

• Locked thread