Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

shrike82 posted:

I'm all in favor of maximally pissing off white people during Christmas but I've been scratching my head about protests like OWS and BLM.
People can't seem to articulate the goals of these protests beyond "raising awareness" which seems meaningless.

That said, I'm loving the reddit outrage.

BLM usually has a list of specific goals for each action they are doing. They're just not always reported. You can find them on the specific website for that city's BLM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Silver Nitrate posted:

Has anyone done analysis on whether or not this conforms to the lead+crime hypothesis?

It'd be far too early to tell, and it might not even be applicable? We know lead damages the brain, and I thought it was pretty well accepted that that leads to learning disabilities and social disorders. The question behind the lead-crime hypothesis was whether leaded gasoline resulted in enough lead in the air to cause enough poisoning to get those kinds of results on such a broad scale. If the connection between lead poisoning-->low education/antisocial behavior-->crime is still up for debate, Flint will make for a hell of a test case in 20 years.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

PUGGERNAUT posted:

"I might not see my family right on time!"

You know who's never going to see their family again? Eric Garner, Michael Brown, Tamir Rice, all of the of other victims of police brutality.

There are many, many victims of police brutality out there. Michael Brown wasn't one of them. Maybe try substituting in Tommy Yancy or Tyree Woodson into the list instead? Or really anyone who wasnt shot after trying to take an officer's weapon, then turning and charging the officer in the middle of the street.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
Get hosed.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

So in a follow up, that maybe fake Connecticut reporter? He's a plagarist and also might be the current manager of the company now in charge of the Review-Journal

:munch:

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Not a Step posted:

There are many, many victims of police brutality out there. Michael Brown wasn't one of them. Maybe try substituting in Tommy Yancy or Tyree Woodson into the list instead? Or really anyone who wasnt shot after trying to take an officer's weapon, then turning and charging the officer in the middle of the street.

Lol yea the hulking demon defense

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Lessail posted:

from that article :wow:

If I'm ever stuck in some kind of thing like this I hope I'm as clear headed as this guy was. The go to response to anyone saying they were inconvenienced should be "at least you're going home for the holidays and weren't killed by someone acting on authority of the government for no good reason."

MLK posted:

I must confess that over the past few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro’s great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen’s Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to “order” than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says: “I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action”; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man’s freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a “more convenient season.”

You see this a lot in the cop thread where not shaking the boat and respecting the word of the law is much more important that actual injustices. Just wait, don't raise a fuss and the system will continue to ignore your plight or actively steal from and kill you take care of it in a timely and orderly fashion.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Dec 24, 2015

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Not a Step posted:

Oh you saw the dashcam footage?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Michael Brown made a blood pact with Mannoroth, he was no saint

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

joeburz posted:

Lol yea the hulking demon defense

Not everyone is an innocent symbol. And just because 'hands up don't shoot' wasn't appropriate to Brown's situation doesn't mean it's not still an appropriate rallying cry for the many others. Just not Brown. Even the feds reached the same conclusion.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
"It's okay to do <x> to someone because it's not as bad as <y> that happened to someone else."

Airtight logic.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

Not a Step posted:

Not everyone is an innocent symbol. And just because 'hands up don't shoot' wasn't appropriate to Brown's situation doesn't mean it's not still an appropriate rallying cry for the many others. Just not Brown. Even the feds reached the same conclusion.

Well good thing browns dead so there's no real challenge to the cops story

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Not a Step posted:

Even the feds reached the same conclusion.

The feds? :monocle: Well why didn't you say that before! You can always trust the feds, it's not like they're entirely culpable for the system's continued existence.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I'd write a response to your post, but like most white Americans I'm content to let a minority handle a job I find distasteful

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

Read the feds report on ferguson PD, then read about their thoughts on the brown case.

One is basically saying Wow yeah this place is royally hosed up, while the latter is But we don't have anything concrete saying what this guy did was wrong.

In part because only one person is alive to tell their side of the story, which includes hilarious statements about how they felt powerless in the grasp of Hulking Black Man.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
It's a known fact that black people have a +10% resistance to bullets as part of their racial bonuses

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Not a Step posted:

D-

*later at parent/teacher meeting*

"Your son has great trolling potential, but it's disappointing to see him not put in the effort. He repeatedly turns in sub-par work, when he bothers doing it at all. Is everything all right at home?"

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
Could a modern day American politician hey away with something like internment camps?

Also happy holidays everybody

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
This is from a few pages back...

Radish posted:

Look if employees pay the dollar and change to feed a hungry child how will that child benefit from hunger motivsting her to better success.

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2009/06/21/46862/cynthia-davis-hunger/

My child doesn't need that kind of help though. It's a sacrifice we're willing to make.

And when you're not old enough to work, but still hungry, you can hold on to that motivation, like a little ember of capitalist fire within you.

Also about that whole "not old enough to work" thing...

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

SedanChair posted:

This is from a few pages back...

And when you're not old enough to work, but still hungry, you can hold on to that motivation, like a little ember of capitalist fire within you.

Also about that whole "not old enough to work" thing...

That's why we need to abolish all child labor laws, obviously.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Can I get some suggestions on books dealing with corporate corruption?

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

Mr Interweb posted:

Can I get some suggestions on books dealing with corporate corruption?

Dealing with, or shedding light on? Two very different types of books and i don't recommend too much of the latter because it will infuriate you. A few of them are nice primers on the history and actors and issues though. The financial sector itself has probably the most literature regarding its corruption. All The Devils Are Here by Mclean and Nocera or any of the Taibbi books (if you enjoy his writing) aren't a bad place to start

As far as books purely about policy adjustments to fix corporate corruption, I don't have any good recs off the top of my head.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Has anyone discussed the lead outbreak in Flint, Michigan? It's been a top news story with the BBC News but doesn't seem to be getting any coverage here in the States, it's a pretty big public health crisis when the mayor is declaring a state of emergency.

Not as much as they should be, considering that the Detroit Free Press just published an article about how state officials lied to the EPA and cherry-picked their test results to avoid showing there was a problem.

God, Snyder and his cronies should burn for this.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Another example of the out-of-control Obama administration's lax border policy.

quote:

The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) today issued a movement permit to Mr. S. Claus of the North Pole, a broker with Worldwide Gifts, Unlimited. The permit will allow reindeer to enter and exit the United States between the hours of 6 PM December 24, 2015 and 6 AM December 25, 2015, through or over any northern border port.

“During this season of giving, we agreed to waive the normal application fees and entry inspection/overtime costs,” said Dr. John Clifford, USDA’s Chief Veterinary Officer. “USDA wants to do everything in its power to help Santa.”

APHIS also waived the normally applicable disease testing requirements, as the North Pole is recognized by APHIS as negligible risk for all livestock diseases and at a recent inspection, the reindeer were found to be healthy and able to prance and paw with each hoof.

As a condition of entry, the reindeer must be certified by Santa Claus as never having been fed anything other than hay, sugar plums, and gingerbread. The reindeer must also be individually identified with microchips or official eartag identification, and must respond to the names ‘Dasher’, ‘Dancer’, ‘Prancer’, ‘Vixen’, ‘Comet’, ‘Cupid’, ‘Donner,’ ‘Blitzen’ and ‘Rudolph’ when interacting with port personnel. No more than one reindeer in the group may be visibly affected by ‘Rednose Syndrome’, and upon entry, port personnel will visually inspect the reindeer to ensure they are healthy and fit for continued travel.

They will arrive pulling a wooden sleigh that has jingling bells attached and is filled with brightly-wrapped gifts. Port personnel will clean and disinfect the runners and underside of the sleigh at the time of entry. With these steps completed, the reindeer will continue their journey across the country and around the world, spreading holiday cheer as they go.

APHIS regulates the movement of cervids, including reindeer, to protect the health of America’s livestock population. The permitting process provides assurance that only healthy animals enter the United States.

Shaking my head, Obama, SMDH.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

shrike82 posted:

I'm all in favor of maximally pissing off white people during Christmas but I've been scratching my head about protests like OWS and BLM.
People can't seem to articulate the goals of these protests beyond "raising awareness" which seems meaningless.

That said, I'm loving the reddit outrage.

Well it has also done a good job separating liberals who actually care about change and progress and liberals who like to say they are until it inconveniences them in some way.

Exactly the same thing happens during union strikes. "Oh I support labor and fairness and good working conditions but this is making my life difficult so I can't support them." Teachers' strikes are even worse. "How dare they use our children's education as a bargaining chip!"

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Another attack on Main Street by letting foreign gifts flood American homes.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Not as much as they should be, considering that the Detroit Free Press just published an article about how state officials lied to the EPA and cherry-picked their test results to avoid showing there was a problem.

They won't though. The narrative has shifted to blaming homeowners for not upgrading their plumbing.

"It's a shame about those kids, but you know upgrading plumbing and all that is part of owning a home and I guess those parents learned that the hard way. It's what happens when you live in a hand-out society."
- paraphrasing my conservative in-laws

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Dec 24, 2015

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Acebuckeye13 posted:

My cousin lives in flint with two toddlers. I'm curious about their experiences but I also don't want to blow up Christmas with potential politics chat. I know some of them are facebook :justpost: nutty fygm conservatives.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

They won't though. The narrative has shifted to blaming homeowners for not upgrading their plumbing.

"It's a shame about those kids, but you know upgrading plumbing and all that is part of owning a home and I guess those parents learned that the hard way. It's what happens when you live in a hand-out society."

How the gently caress do they actually think this excuse will fly?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

How the gently caress do they actually think this excuse will fly?

Dog whistle racism.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

:allears: What problem in America *can't* be solved with victim blaming?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

If only we'd listened :negative:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Dog whistle racism.

Y'know, at this point, between Trump loudly rallying the Tea Party's even more racist/white supremacist side, and multiple Governors making asses of themselves, I really get scared about our future sometimes.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

SumYungGui posted:

:allears: What problem in America *can't* be solved with victim blaming?

9-11?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Let me tell you about false flags!

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Stultus Maximus posted:

Well it has also done a good job separating liberals who actually care about change and progress and liberals who like to say they are until it inconveniences them in some way.

Exactly the same thing happens during union strikes. "Oh I support labor and fairness and good working conditions but this is making my life difficult so I can't support them." Teachers' strikes are even worse. "How dare they use our children's education as a bargaining chip!"

People traveling across the globe to visit their families for a holiday is not the same as them going to work everyday imo.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Victim blaming only works if the victims aren't overwhelmingly white and wealthy.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Y'know, at this point, between Trump loudly rallying the Tea Party's even more racist/white supremacist side, and multiple Governors making asses of themselves, I really get scared about our future sometimes.

Yeah it sucks, my new thing is trying to do what I can through voting and talking to people who will listen but by also volunteering more and taking a more active role in making my community a better place. There's only so much you can do but making the place you live in a better place even incrementally is cathartic.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Xae posted:

Constantly being in the news and disrupting things let the Occupy Wall Street movement force through landmark legislation such as:

Accomplishments:

• Creating the 1% meme
  • Bringing police brutality to the national spotlight and helping shift the narrative about them
  • Helping spread counteraction information about standard police anti-protest tactics
  • Giving a (literal) voice and rallying point for millennial frustrated with inequality
  • Getting the Dean of the college where an officer maced a line of protesters for no goddamn reason canned, leading to the awesome "silent walk of shame" moment

I mean it slanted way too much towards white college students and whites in general, but there were still protests like Oakland, which is probably the most occupy-y of all, down to actually occupying a foreclosed building as their headquarters.

But you're right, it wasn't able to get something passed given the house and the tea party morons in it, complete failure, everyone point and laugh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Wait, how do they even pretend that this works? Like the lead issues were because of a water source change, right? So what, the plumbing is supposed to include extra filtering to remove the lead? Do normal plumbing installs include filtering to deal with getting your water from a toxic source like the Flint River?

• Locked thread