Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Shageletic posted:

Arthur Laffer is the most influential economist in the last 40 years. Krugman's visibility in the public eye isn't due to his relationship with other economists per se, but due to his writings lambasting politicians for listening to economists that he thinks are in the wrong.

The most influential economist over the past 80 years is John Keynes and Krugman's visibility is entirely due to his "listen to Keynes you morons" gimmick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
If this has been discussed before I apologize, but I saw this floating around and wondered whether or not people in this thread have read much about this or think it might affect her campaign.

Article alleging that Clinton defended a child molester she believed to be guilty.

I guess the part that surprised me was the audio where she appears to be pretty cavalier about keeping the rapist out of prison despite her opinion on his guilt. It's a lawyer's job I know, but the audio of her laughing about it could be pretty damaging.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Lol "it's a lawyers job I know"

You really don't.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

fool_of_sound posted:

The lizardmen
*nods sagely*

In a way, yes - having dominance hierarchies is the default trend for human social relations - this has been the rise and fall of many civilizations - but ours is the first global one.

The Kochs and others want to trick people into thinking dominance through money is the same as communal and reciprocal social relations.

JeffersonClay posted:

The most influential economist over the past 80 years is John Keynes and Krugman's visibility is entirely due to his "listen to Keynes you morons" gimmick.

You could argue the Keynesian state has been hijacked/infected by the stupidity of Laffer

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

McDowell posted:

The Kochs and others want to trick people into thinking dominance through money is the same as communal and reciprocal social relations.

Reifying relations between people into relations between things. That's one of the Marxist proverbs that has stuck with me most successfully, because you see it everywhere.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Mr. Wookums posted:

Lol "it's a lawyers job I know"

You really don't.

Wait it's not a lawyer's job to defend a client even if they have doubts about their guilt? Not sure what your shitpost is implying.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Which is more influential: the man who figured out how to make the boat float or the man who convinced people to punch holes in the bottom?

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

McDowell posted:

You could argue the Keynesian state has been hijacked/infected by the stupidity of Laffer

I think that's the story people who don't understand economics have told themselves to ignore economics.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Shifty Pony posted:

Which is more influential: the man who figured out how to make the boat float or the man who convinced people to punch holes in the bottom?

It's not laffer's fault, he was just trying to install a moon pool.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

I dunno I'm just a small time government worker but it seems to me economics is pretty simple if your criteria is "does this policy encourage the existence of a ruling class over us?

For all the hero worship people make of the Founding Fathers people seem to miss the theoretical point of the War of Independence.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

JeffersonClay posted:

I think that's the story people who don't understand economics have told themselves to ignore economics.

What part of economics do you feel I am ignoring?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Merry Christmas!

Remember kids, don't lie to federal agents about whether or not you put a Confederate flag on your black coworker's desk.

Don't forget it wasn't racially motivated! It's important to believe a person who lied when they say that putting a Confederate flag on the desk of a black person they don't like had nothing to do with race you Real Racist. :colbert:

Stultus Maximus posted:

So if we're really good, can we all have an extra Christmas present?

Paul Ryan getting primaried and losing his seat would be incredible beyond words.

mdemone posted:

Here's a fun game! See if you can guess, from this simple outline of the story, what was the race of this young man?

:negative:

Atlanta's PD needs to be burned to the ground and rebuilt by the Feds. "A person had a gun and pointed it at cops so the cops opened fire" is going to be pretty much impossible to overcome to go after the police without something like clear video + sound that show the cops completely in the wrong. Even then I'd only give it a 10-15% chance of anything being done to the cops. In short, nobody should expect anything good to come of this incident.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

30.5 Days posted:

The young man wasn't the one who was shot. The upstanding private peace officer navy veteran hostage negotiator father was.

Okay, how about one in Chicago earlier today where everyone was shot?

quote:

“I went to the hospital and my son had seven bullet holes in him,” LeGrier’s mother told ABC7 Chicago.

LeGrier, who was studying engineering at Northern Illinois University, had been recently having severe mood swings and was easily agitated, family members told the Chicago Tribune.

On Saturday, his father called police because LeGrier was agitated and carrying a metal baseball bat, the Tribune reported.

“His father was scared, because that’s not his character,” LeGrier’s mother told the Tribune. “We’re thinking the police are going to service us, take him to the hospital. They took his life.”

Witnesses said Bettie Jones, a downstairs tenant in the building, was a bystander when she was fatally shot by the police. Her daughter, Latisha Jones, told the Tribune that she woke up to find her mother lying near the door with a gunshot wound in her neck.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It's really great we're at the point where you have to think "is calling the cops going to make this situation much, much worse because they are trigger happy maniacs?" since the legal system heavily encourages that behavior.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

ThirdPartyView posted:

Have it mandated that "Hey Ya!" is looped in perpetuity as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qMtsir0l9k

Seems good to me.

Radish posted:

It's really great we're at the point where you have to think "is calling the cops going to make this situation much, much worse because they are trigger happy maniacs?" since the legal system heavily encourages that behavior.

Now I'm curious if there's a statistically significant increase in police shootings around the 4th of July, from officers mistaking nearby fireworks for gunshots and firing on someone in a tense situation.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 26, 2015

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

computer parts posted:

It's true that a lot of black people are outside of the South (maybe more than in it, though I don't know for sure), but it's also true that a lot of Southerners are black people (at higher percentages than anywhere else in the nation).

The majority of black people live in the south, 55% in the 2010 census, up from 54% in 2000

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/releases/archives/census_2000/cb01cn176.html
https://www.census.gov/newsroom/releases/archives/2010_census/cb11-cn185.html

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Radish posted:

That has long been the case for the affected communities just now it is getting attention.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

That makes sense, it'll probably go up more as more African-Americans head back South because that's where the jobs are (and familial connections).

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

That has long been the case for the affected communities just now it is getting attention.

Yeah I know. :smith:

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Unzip and Attack posted:

Wait it's not a lawyer's job to defend a client even if they have doubts about their guilt? Not sure what your shitpost is implying.

Yes it is! If a lawyer can not vigorously defend their client, then they are required to withdraw and allow another lawyer to take their place. Your job as a criminal defense lawyer is to vigorously defend people and make sure that the law is followed in all circumstances. So get out of here with you implication that a lawyer can make value judgments about their clients in the course of representing them.

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008

I haven't read the thread in a while so I'm far back but this is the nation-wide version of "IT WAS ONLY A PRANK BRO"

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

radical meme posted:

Yes it is! If a lawyer can not vigorously defend their client, then they are required to withdraw and allow another lawyer to take their place. Your job as a criminal defense lawyer is to vigorously defend people and make sure that the law is followed in all circumstances. So get out of here with you implication that a lawyer can make value judgments about their clients in the course of representing them.

TBH the more concerning part is the accusation of perjury rather than defending a rapist.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Raskolnikov38 posted:

TBH the more concerning part is the accusation of perjury rather than defending a rapist.

Yes, absolutely, nothing else has stuck so far so lets look at an affidavit from 30 years ago and rely on the fading memory of a victim that has never spoken out before to screw Hillary. This is the one thing that is gonna screw her chances, I'm almost totally sure. Especially since that dirty fucker she was representing was guilty; how can anyone represent a guilty person?

FYI: saying "I have been informed of X thing" in an affidavit is not the same as saying "I know from personal knowledge that X thing is true". One might be perjury the other isn't.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Raskolnikov38 posted:

What this part?

quote:

“I have been informed that the complainant is emotionally unstable with a tendency to seek out older men and engage in fantasizing,” Clinton, then named Hillary D. Rodham, wrote in the affidavit. “I have also been informed that she has in the past made false accusations about persons, claiming they had attacked her body. Also that she exhibits an unusual stubbornness and temper when she does not get her way.”

Isn't "I have been told" in this scenario basically the equivalent of having your client testify in narrative? In other words the document is "my client told me.... <bullshit here>". She is implying that she thinks it's bullshit and as an officer of the court she can't introduce what she believes to be untrue. It is true however that her client said those things!

She's right to laugh about the case if I'm understanding this right. She must have run circles around the prosecution to still win after that.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

What this part?

Isn't "I have been told" in this scenario basically the equivalent of having your client testify in narrative?

I don't know law at all but it seems superfluous in the extreme considering that the PD hosed up handling the only piece of physical evidence but perhaps she didn't know about the evidence fuckup until after the affidavit was made.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

radical meme posted:

An attorney who is running for President should be held to a higher standard than an attorney who is not seeking public office. Rather than admit that she had no good options when asked to defend a child rapist, in a 1988 interview Hillary chose to boast how she was such a skilled attorney that she was able to get a sexual predator off in spite of the evidence of their obvious guilt.

If you want a lack of hubris in your politicians, you belong in the party of Trump, not the party of FDR.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

My Imaginary GF posted:

in a 1988 interview Hillary chose to boast how she was such a skilled attorney that she was able to get a sexual predator off in spite of the evidence of their obvious guilt.
But enough about Bill.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

But enough about Bill.

:thejoke:

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

My Imaginary GF posted:

An attorney who is running for President should be held to a higher standard than an attorney who is not seeking public office. Rather than admit that she had no good options when asked to defend a child rapist, in a 1988 interview Hillary chose to boast how she was such a skilled attorney that she was able to get a sexual predator off in spite of the evidence of their obvious guilt.

If you want a lack of hubris in your politicians, you belong in the party of Trump, not the party of FDR.

Hey Merry Christmas migf.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

My Imaginary GF posted:

You appear to have mixed up some of the words of this sentence migf

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
hu·bris
ˈ(h)yo͞obrəs/
noun
noun: hubris
excessive pride or self-confidence.

What the gently caress kind of Olympic-level mental gymnastics are you doing to think this applies best to anyone but Trump?

Kinda wish quotes from blocked people didn't show up at all, or maybe got automatic spoiler tags or something.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

SumYungGui posted:

hu·bris
ˈ(h)yo͞obrəs/
noun
noun: hubris
excessive pride or self-confidence.

What the gently caress kind of Olympic-level mental gymnastics are you doing to think this applies best to anyone but Trump?

Kinda wish quotes from blocked people didn't show up at all, or maybe got automatic spoiler tags or something.

It's migf bro. That's his gimmick.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
I actually joined the party of Trump for the hair-care products, you get sick bulk discounts

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
I jut want to say something but I get so agitated seeing the comments celebrating the almost likely terrorist attack on the mosque in Texas. We really do seem to have a class of subhumans in this nation that Trump is inspiring.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Crowsbeak posted:

I jut want to say something but I get so agitated seeing the comments celebrating the almost likely terrorist attack on the mosque in Texas. We really do seem to have a class of subhumans in this nation that Trump is inspiring.

What happened this time?

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Crowsbeak posted:

They're the crowd of folks hovering around the guy who just fired the RPG shouting "God is Great." They like to feel like they're helping somehow.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

DemeaninDemon posted:

What happened this time?

Someone torched a mosque in Houston yesterday.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

My Imaginary GF posted:

You have a jaundiced view of the justice system and the duties of an attorney. Every defendant has the right to an attorney who will work for their interests, and generally those interests are "not going to jail". It's the job of a defense attorney in that circumstance to try to get their client acquitted. If they succeed, the onus should be on the prosecutors for failing to convict someone that committed a crime, not the defense lawyer who did what they were hired to do. It's easy to bash defense attorneys as soulless assholes, but not remotely fair, and to argue Clinton shouldn't have taken guilty clients as a defense attorney is patently absurd. I mean, if you look at it a certain way, you're criticizing Clinton for not pulling a Kim Davis. That is, not refusing to do aspects of her job for moral reasons.

also Clinton being such a skilled defense attorney is totally a selling point on her qualifications to be president, not a disqualifier.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Way to spread holiday cheer you fucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

DemeaninDemon posted:

Way to spread holiday cheer you fucks.

Thread title.

• Locked thread