Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

corn in the bible posted:

brad wardell is a rapist

like he said,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It's kind of moot because the current game in question is terrible in a genre with many better alternatives. I don't like the defense, though, of "But you're hurting his employees too" when that is, of course, demonstrably false and also has been a rhetorical shield used by lovely owners since the beginning of capitalism

It's not "demonstrably false", it's just a lame excuse for warez.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

monster on a stick posted:

It's not "demonstrably false", it's just a lame excuse for warez.

Yeah justifications for piracy are lame. Just own up to the fact that you wanna play a game without paying money for it, imo

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Srice posted:

Yeah justifications for piracy are lame. Just own up to the fact that you wanna play a game without paying money for it, imo

Especially since the bar for being a game reviewer or Twitch streamer is so low that game companies will throw free copies at you if you just ask nicely.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

Geokinesis posted:

With Grim Dawn with all the talk about fancy crafting/items, how interesting is it? Do weapons give unique effects/skills or is it all mostly just +x% damage.

Grim dawn is awesome. It's very deep and there's a lot of content. As far as item customization and crafting, here is an example of one of the legendary items I got. I added a component and an augment to it:

The crafting is pretty neat. You get a ton of component parts as drops, then those can be combined, and then once they are combined to form a full component, they can be crafted together with other components to make different/rare components.

It's only going to get more customizable from here I think. The devs are super dedicated.

There's also a system called Devotion, where it's another completely separate skill tree for all of the classes to share. It basically makes it so your skills can have skills, in that you can assign these Devotion skills to another skill, so they proc while the other skill is proccing.

Garfu fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 27, 2015

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Srice posted:

With one of the games I worked on, we found someone posted it to an FTP site the day of release. Someone tracked down the owners of the site, and it was traced to one of the game's larger "fan" sites.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Geokinesis posted:

With Grim Dawn with all the talk about fancy crafting/items, how interesting is it? Do weapons give unique effects/skills or is it all mostly just +x% damage.

Weapon can have effects on them and can include new active and passive skills. Component can do the same thing. The skill tree do have points on them to modify certain skills but it's not for every one.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

monster on a stick posted:

With one of the games I worked on, we found someone posted it to an FTP site the day of release. Someone tracked down the owners of the site, and it was traced to one of the game's larger "fan" sites.

That is lame as hell.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Srice posted:

That is lame as hell.

Don't worry, I'm sure someone on the development team once said a mean thing or kicked a puppy so the piracy was totally justified.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

After trying it again after many years I have come to the conclusion that Final Fantasy XIII is actually a good game.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Piracy is cool because it's more or less the entire reason we have affordable digital media.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Was south park stick of truth only supposed be on sale for a few days of the holiday sale, or is steam glitching out and not showing it as on sale anymore

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

FirstAidKite posted:

Was south park stick of truth only supposed be on sale for a few days of the holiday sale, or is steam glitching out and not showing it as on sale anymore
It's done selling.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Steam's being cunty and won't let me buy a game >=(

Edit: I click "Purchase for myself" and it stays on my cart forever.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Here's an example of some Grim Dawn combat: https://gfycat.com/VelvetyDishonestCrownofthornsstarfish

Pretty neat

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Garfu posted:

Here's an example of some Grim Dawn combat: https://gfycat.com/VelvetyDishonestCrownofthornsstarfish

Pretty neat

Tons of flashy effects and numbers and it's impossible to tell what's going on. Yeah, that's a Diablo game.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

i hosed up

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

Had a goon back out of my Dying Light 4 pack so I still have one copy left. $15.29, game already bought

http://steamcommunity.com/id/BrownThunder if you are interested, or send a PM.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Morter posted:

Steam's being cunty and won't let me buy a game >=(

Edit: I click "Purchase for myself" and it stays on my cart forever.

Yeah, doing the same to me. GIVE ME MY GAME THAT I WON'T PLAY FOR MONTHS THIS INSTANT, STEAM!

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

littleorv posted:

After trying it again after many years I have come to the conclusion that Final Fantasy XIII is actually a good game.

Uh, no.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Elman posted:

Tons of flashy effects and numbers and it's impossible to tell what's going on. Yeah, that's a Diablo game.

It looks a lot better in high resolution, game's pretty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sILAJ3CPk_Y

This is one of the 'roguelike' dungeons where if you die the dungeon is closed for that game and you can't get back in. I died.

Game gets real hard in the higher difficulties, which is refreshing. I died like 15 times trying to kill the boss on Elite difficulty (2 of 3)

Garfu fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Dec 27, 2015

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Garfu posted:

It looks a lot better in high resolution, game's pretty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sILAJ3CPk_Y

...he says, linking to a 360p video.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

...he says, linking to a 360p video.

It's still processing apparently :(

edit: 1080p60fps now

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

"You have 1 friend invite"

Their name: "ayy lmao" and they are level 0, private profile.

I'm tempted to accept.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Garfu posted:

It's still processing apparently :(

edit: 1080p60fps now

You made one with too much poo poo going on in a dark tomb. I could follow it but new people will have no idea that one of the monsters was a pet, the lighting was from a totem, and the spinning blades thing was a pet as well.

Something out in the open near homestead or crowlys mines would probably be better since the bodies go flying instead of breaking into bone piles.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

There's nothing wrong with tons of poo poo blowing up incomprehensibly in an ARPG, in fact it is cool and good.

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

a massive toolclown who cannot stop causing problems
I have a very specific request for recommendations: having recently played Musaic Box and Circuits on the rec of someone way upthread from here, I really enjoyed both but found them way too easy. Are there any other "music assembly puzzle" games on Steam? Not just puzzle games where you have to use sound cues to solve them (though those are also cool), but specifically games about reassembling a piece of music.

...I still remember that one challenge in I think The Lost Mind of Dr. Brain, where you had to, like, flip and rotate pieces of sheet music. That was the poo poo. Does anything more modern exist in that genre?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

SelenicMartian posted:

It's done selling.

Aww. That's lame, I figured it'd be on sale during the whole sale like the rest of the stuff. I dunno why they stopped it being on sale partway into the holiday sale :(

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Nah this is just Ross's Ripley moment.

The last time that happened to me, my sole survivor misheard my order and walked out an airlock next to the exit.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

FirstAidKite posted:

Aww. That's lame, I figured it'd be on sale during the whole sale like the rest of the stuff. I dunno why they stopped it being on sale partway into the holiday sale :(

For reasons that made sense to one of their higher-ups, some of the Ubisoft games are not using the global sale period; instead they keep going on sale and out as the days go by. It is not random but whatever they are doing is not public either since it's not going according to everything else that is on sale so Valve is not publicizing it.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

littleorv posted:

I bought the Trilogy as part of my Christmas shopping spree, because my Xbox died halfway through the first one however long ago, and I still can't get over how there are tutorials for basic game concepts 8 hours into the game.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

spider wisdom posted:

There's also Starcrawlers, which I believe is still early access but looks promising. Sort of a sci-fi turn-based Grimrock from what I've seen.

This looks pretty interesting. I always love rpgs set somewhere other than the traditional fantasy setting.

Any idea when it's hitting full release?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Zombie Samurai posted:

Nah this is just Ross's Ripley moment.

The last time that happened to me, my sole survivor misheard my order and walked out an airlock next to the exit.

actually, he died

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Occultatio posted:

I have a very specific request for recommendations: having recently played Musaic Box and Circuits on the rec of someone way upthread from here, I really enjoyed both but found them way too easy. Are there any other "music assembly puzzle" games on Steam? Not just puzzle games where you have to use sound cues to solve them (though those are also cool), but specifically games about reassembling a piece of music.

...I still remember that one challenge in I think The Lost Mind of Dr. Brain, where you had to, like, flip and rotate pieces of sheet music. That was the poo poo. Does anything more modern exist in that genre?

I don't know exactly what "reassembling" means to you, but maybe Sentris?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Occultatio posted:

It's not on Steam and it's pretty easy, but in case you missed it this recent Google Doodle is presumably the sort of thing you're looking for?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

corn in the bible posted:

actually, he died

Rip in pieces. They do call 'em Deadnauts for a reason.

I have another Roguemas roguelike to talk about today, courtesy of fine Steamgoon Melibe.

There's a certain look and feel that Super Nintendo games had that gets me like no other games do. It's hard to put my finger on exactly, but I think it was a combination of soft-edged sprites and synth woodwind soundtrack that gave a lot of titles a deep, otherworldly feel. TowerClimb somehow manages to evoke that same sense of depth and wonder while relentlessly murdering me again and again in the most delightful ways.

Part of the unique feel of TowerClimb comes from the mysterious, parable-like setup for the game. There are immense stone towers, people keep trying to climb them, and no one knows what's at the top. You control a never-ending series of unfortunates who challenge the tower, mantling up through floor after deadly floor. It plays a lot like a reverse Spelunky, with your character able to run, jump, scale walls, and crawl along ceilings in search of the exit high above. In place of treasure are tools like crates and springs, and golden berries that can be traded for potions that let you double-jump, break blocks, and teleport.

There's a lot to discover in the tower, and the pixellated graphics make experimentation essential to figuring out what you're encountering. Enemies may get the best of you the first time you meet them, in part because they can be very unpredictable, but mainly because you might not know what they are at first. You'll run into all manner of plants and animals, NPCs, chests, shortcuts, and more among the randomly-generated floors. Navigating is always challenging given some of the layouts, but your control over your character is very precise and allows for masterful moves once you fully grok the mantling.

It's hard and you're going to die a ton, but TowerClimb makes it look so good you'll hardly mind. The graphics remind me very much of the old SNES Lemmings port, with chunky detail and silky-smooth animations and bizarre, impossible terrains. Sound design is also excellent, with some very detailed effects and a soundtrack reminiscent of ancient titles like Soul Blazer and Super Metroid in parts. The unexpected nostalgia rush definitely colors my view but make no mistake, TowerClimb is a tight, challenging roguelike platformer with plenty of wonders to offer.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Garfu posted:

Grim dawn is awesome. It's very deep and there's a lot of content. As far as item customization and crafting, here is an example of one of the legendary items I got. I added a component and an augment to it:

I'm pretty sure you squished 5-6 items into one. I will taste that game once again after it releases. (I made sure to stop quite early to make sure I didn't burn out.)

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

Occultatio posted:

FRACT OSC is exactly what you're looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Jamfrost posted:

I'm pretty sure you squished 5-6 items into one. I will taste that game once again after it releases. (I made sure to stop quite early to make sure I didn't burn out.)

I'm not very far in this game, and I can say with confidence there is no fuckery with that image.

• Locked thread