Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Tiggum posted:

There is no definition for salad in my system, salads and sundaes are both types of stew.

All of those things are cakes.

Ah. I was thinking you had included salad for things that are put together but not cooked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

There is no definition for salad in my system

not surprised at all here

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Underwater Shoe posted:

Let me tell y'all about Mince Pies

Back in Medieval England both meat and spices were a sign of wealth and status. Meat would often be combined with fruit and spices in a way we might see reflected in the Moroccan food of today, especially at large 'feasting' occasions such as Christmas. Thus was born the mince pie, a heavily spiced fruit and (usually minced lamb) meat pie.

This is no longer true.

Mincemeat is exclusively a heavily spiced mix of fruits and nuts bound together in some sort of sticky. If you get good mincemeat it will have beef or vegetarian suet in it, to bind it and make it taste rich and delicious - beef suet is not meat - it's delicious fat, like making yummy things with lard or shortening.

Mince pies are an institution in the UK and anyone that fails to eat at least a dozen between December 1st and New Year is stocked and pilloried and only released on Twelfth Night.

I spent a week in the UK just before Christmas and I put away a good few.

Context for the uninitiated: they're about the size of Reese's peanut butter cups.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Aesop Poprock posted:

Cincinnati chili seriously sounds like the grossest thing in the world

Hey, don't knock it till you try it. :colbert:

I'm from Cincinnati and it's basically comfort food for me. I don't enjoy other midwestern mayo-laden creations, but I do enjoy me some Skyline and/or Goldstar chili.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Aesop Poprock posted:

Cincinnati chili seriously sounds like the grossest thing in the world

Meat sauce and cheese over spaghetti, truly the most disgusting thing ever posted in this thread

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Seems like if you are going through all that trouble you'd just make a cheese sauce from scratch rather than using truffle oil on boxed mac n cheese.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
There's a trashy taste that comes with Kraft Mac and Cheese that's so different from actual good cheese sauce, and sometimes you just really want it.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Dienes posted:

Seems like if you are going through all that trouble you'd just make a cheese sauce from scratch rather than using truffle oil on boxed mac n cheese.

If you don't oversalt the other ingredients, it's actually really good putting fancy stuff in Kraft Dinner. I mean, this picture absolutely belongs here, but I remember doing a similar thing with sauteed vegetables. It was very good and very filling when you're not too flush with cash.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

AnonSpore posted:

Meat sauce and cheese over spaghetti, truly the most disgusting thing ever posted in this thread

or

vs

I still consider Cincinnati chili to be chili. Sure, it's vastly different from traditional chili, but it's still chili in my book. :colbert:

Here, have a less flattering picture if you wish:

Danger Mahoney posted:

I like chili, but golly it's too spicy. Better replace any real spices with cinnamon, cloves, sugar, and chocolate. The closer to tepid pudding the better. Mmm mm the only thing that could make it better is plain spaghetti noodles.

You don't eat Midwestern food for spice (unfortunately), you eat it because it's comfort food and you have an acquired taste for it, like olives.

Teriyaki Koinku has a new favorite as of 20:15 on Dec 28, 2015

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

i have 2 weeks off for the holiday, so i'm binging through some threads i've been meaning to read

just thought i'd bring this one up again, as i'm only half-way through this lovely thread :allears:

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

kloa posted:

i have 2 weeks off for the holiday, so i'm binging through some threads i've been meaning to read

just thought i'd bring this one up again, as i'm only half-way through this lovely thread :allears:

Oh, gently caress, I forgot about that thing. This is easily one of the most haunting AFP images of all time.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Data Graham posted:

Context for the uninitiated: they're about the size of Reese's peanut butter cups.
But can you put one in a burger patty?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
A legit product I purchased, only because my store loyalty card had a 100% off coupon for it, presumably to get people to try it:

I got the vanilla because I figured it would pretty much taste exactly like what it is...watered down milk, and the vanilla flavor would help it at least be useful for cereal and such.

I was right.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

I drink this and the 2% from that company exclusively. poo poo's pretty baller.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

kloa posted:

The only thing I could think of...

http://i.imgur.com/HiVZgzU.png

I'm bad at photoshop. :downs:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

kloa posted:

I'd eat that vanilla and cherry forest mushroom before I even considered touching that mess.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

MariusLecter posted:

I'd eat that vanilla and cherry forest mushroom before I even considered touching that mess.

Go ahead and take a nibble.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Senior Scarybagels posted:

I swear to god if I was a mod, posting that image would be a bannable offense! :colbert: (because I am a baby)

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

DrBouvenstein posted:

A legit product I purchased, only because my store loyalty card had a 100% off coupon for it, presumably to get people to try it:

I got the vanilla because I figured it would pretty much taste exactly like what it is...watered down milk, and the vanilla flavor would help it at least be useful for cereal and such.

I was right.

I call bullshit on "less sugar that milk." The assholes literally ADDED SUGAR and they're trying to look healthy.

Scathach has a new favorite as of 23:35 on Dec 28, 2015

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Scathach posted:

I call bullshit on "less sugar that milk." The assholes literally ADDED SUGAR.

Less sugar than they took out!

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Yeah they added sugar but the package is at least half water.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

OctoberBlues posted:

I swear to god if I was a mod, posting that image would be a bannable offense! :colbert: (because I am a baby)

tag ur gore/mushrooms

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
There's something really unsettling about putting a picture of a woman with a very forced smile on a carton of milk. For a split second I thought it was a product made for mothers who are breastfeeding their children, then I realized it wasn't and my train of thought took a very dark turn.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

OctoberBlues posted:

How come? It looks pretty god drat delicious to me, like a white chocolate truffle filled to bursting with black raspberry filling.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

titties posted:

How come? It looks pretty god drat delicious to me, like a white chocolate truffle filled to bursting with black raspberry filling.

Yeah that looks as goddamn amazing as it is probably deadly.

E: apparently they're not actually poisonous, but bitter to the point of un-edibility. they're also both called "strawberries and creme mushroom" and "bleeding tooth fungus" depending on your outlook on life in general.

Humboldt Squid has a new favorite as of 01:17 on Dec 29, 2015

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

Seriously though, if that was photoshopped on top of a bowl of ice cream or something I would absolutely think it belonged there.

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.

Data Graham posted:

You can also get them full size, slices of which are best served piping hot with custard or ice cream.

The mini ones are most common. You can get the mincemeat in the US easily at Christmastime (None Such is the biggest brand). Just take your favorite pie crust recipe, use a muffin tin to make small pies, bake, and enjoy!

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

DrBouvenstein posted:

I was right.

Contains: Milk

:allears:

I find myself oddly drawn to that mushroom, which I assume it a type of Stockholm syndrome where you see the same gross loving picture over and over until your brain goes, "That is shaped like a friend," and you're like, "You know, you're right."

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Didn't realize, until reading that Wiki article, that there are teeth on the underside of that thing :gonk:

Gonna agree my brain goes "ahhh friend" when it sees that. My brain is an rear end in a top hat.

E: on the topic of mushrooms, we apparently have edible King Bolete mushrooms in our yard. I found them while on a beer run, and being from the desert where poo poo just doesn't grow that big, I was a little horrified.

Scathach has a new favorite as of 03:28 on Dec 29, 2015

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Is there something wrong with me if I think that mushroom is beautiful/delicious-looking? I want to lick it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

You don't eat Midwestern food for spice (unfortunately), you eat it because it's comfort food and you have an acquired taste for it, like olives.

In what way is that anything like olives?

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

Is there something wrong with me if I think that mushroom is beautiful/delicious-looking? I want to lick it.

I'm really not sure why people have a problem with it, to be honest.

Tiggum posted:

Black olives.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Tiggum posted:

Maybe artichokes or sardines are better examples. Some hate them, others eat them by the handful - both are valid interpretations.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

ah yes super-bitter mushrooms that looks like a scrumptious dessert. One of nature's many middle fingers.

Content:

round 2

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Scathach posted:

Didn't realize, until reading that Wiki article, that there are teeth on the underside of that thing :gonk:

Gonna agree my brain goes "ahhh friend" when it sees that. My brain is an rear end in a top hat.

Well. That's a very... ploppy meal.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

cash crab posted:

Well. That's a very... ploppy meal.

Have some more "plop."

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Dim sum do not belong in this thread

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Scathach posted:

Have some more "plop."

Those are plump and festive and the fact that I ate fifteen dumplings yesterday in no way deters me from lusting over them dumplings. Except maybe the word "dumpling".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

AnonSpore posted:

Dim sum do not belong in this thread

They're completely vegan. Vegan food makes me sad.

• Locked thread