Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

SquadronROE posted:

Well yeah, they've got guns. They're scary dudes.

Not scarier than black 12 year olds, though! :supaburn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Do Europeans use Charlemagne et al in contemporary political discussions though? As in, do they pass around Facebook memes with so-and-so quote by Charlemagne to justify why the French should hate the Moors Muslims?

A Google Image Search reveals that Charlemagne memes definitely exist, are funny.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Dapper_Swindler posted:

its probaly because its extremely obvious he is a loving kid. he was 12 and all the pictures of him show a 12 year old kid being a kid and the video clearly shows everything. even if they were not non indictable on murder/manslaughter, they should have been at least fired for incompetence and other stuff this includes the dispatcher.

Iirc, the dispatcher resigned, and the officers are on administrative leave pending the possibility of indictment. It wouldn't surprise me if Lehmann was fired or forced out and Garmback forced to retire now that the grand jury is done.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

baw posted:

Also he says "police and communities" as if there is some sort of equal culpability. moderate republican right there

The far right republican would say, "Nah, let's just exterminate all black people."

Also, screw Kasich. Let's be divided. On one side, the vast majority for whom the justice system was a major abortion. On the other side, the minority responsible for carrying out this miscarriage.

Now riot.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

GalacticAcid posted:

Yes which only compounds the hilarity of the garbage state of most state-level Democratic organizations.

Let's be fair here. It was kinda clear early on that 2014 was unlikely to be a banner year, and a lot of benches got hit pretty hard in 2010. So it's not like these state-level Democratic parties had a lot of choices. The "good" candidates are generally smart enough to sit out being a challenger in tough elections - notice how nobody except Bernie Sanders (who probably can't run in 2020/2024), Tommy Carcetti, and a pair of basically-Republicans challenged Hillary for the nomination? That's because the Democratic Governors/Senators who are left realized they couldn't beat Hillary (or that there's no room in a field to be more moderate than Hillary or more liberal than Bernie and precious little daylight between them) and so didn't run. You've got the same problem here - if I'm a popular mayor or a state senator or something, I'm keeping my head down in 2014, rolling the dice that things look better in 2018 or whatever.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Rhesus Pieces posted:

I don't know where you got that ide-

@KateAronoff: Prosecutor McGinty says Rice should have known better before playing in the park, because he "looked older"

Yes, a 12 year old *hurk* should have known better *retch* before playing in the park *hork* so it's his fault for being gunned down by a police officer in his car.

Jesus Christ. :barf:

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
So yeah, if you're a police officer you can gun down a 12-year-old on video and get away with it.:smithicide:

blue squares posted:

It's getting to the point where Sikh temples and businesses need to have signs up saying "We're not Muslims you idiots"
:smith: God it really is so loving depressing.

baw posted:

just want to take some time to remind everyone that this happened a couple years ago and no one was shot

I'm always amused/terrified that pictures from the Bundy Ranch standoff are pretty much indistinguishable from the Middle East:

The difference is that in Syria, they actually capture the white terrorists. (The fat guy in the middle is a captured ISIL fighter who surrendered to the YPG.) Apparently we need to ask them for tips.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

The far right republican would say, "Nah, let's just exterminate all black people."

Also, screw Kasich. Let's be divided. On one side, the vast majority for whom the justice system was a major abortion. On the other side, the minority responsible for carrying out this miscarriage.

Now riot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mnpr7AEvUgE

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hey you're friends with Chanda? I went to law school with her husband.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

blue squares posted:

It's getting to the point where Sikh temples and businesses need to have signs up saying "We're not Muslims you idiots"
They already do!

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

FourLeaf posted:

They already do!

Maybe we should just assign Muslims a green crescent and star badge to wear so people won't be confused? :shrug:

I've heard it's worked so well in the past.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Do Europeans use Charlemagne et al in contemporary political discussions though? As in, do they pass around Facebook memes with so-and-so quote by Charlemagne to justify why the French should hate the Moors Muslims?

Charles Martel, hero of the Battle of Tours (which you know from playing Age of Empires II), is the eponymous inspiration for the Charles Martel Society - a white supremacist "intellectual" organization that publishes Bell Curve-ish poo poo like the "Occidental Quarterly."

More info on these losers here.

Note these are mostly white Americans who compose this org so not the same idea but still sad and pathetic.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

GalacticAcid posted:

Charles Martel, hero of the Battle of Tours (which you know from playing Age of Empires II), is the eponymous inspiration for the Charles Martel Society - a white supremacist "intellectual" organization that publishes Bell Curve-ish poo poo like the "Occidental Quarterly."

More info on these losers here.

Note these are mostly white Americans who compose this org so not the same idea but still sad and pathetic.

Off topic, but I mainly know about Charles Martel from the bad-rear end hammer he used in battle.

:black101:

Hell yeah!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

FourLeaf posted:

They already do!

I remember when the Paris attacks happened the Sikh temples in the city opened their doors for anyone who couldn't get away or didn't feel safe to stay in until the chaos ended.

Remember when they said Christians don't kill people over religion?

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/12/arizona-woman-shoots-victim-in-eye-for-not-believing-in-god-and-then-keeps-body-on-couch-as-shrine/

quote:

Phoenix officers were called to the home of 39-year-old Anitra Braxton on Dec. 26 and discovered a body on her couch covered in a towel after obtaining a search warrant, KSAZ reported.

During an interview at police headquarters, Braxton explained that the victim did not believe in God so she shot her in the eye, the police report said. She then kept the victim’s body on her couch for three days, calling it a “shrine from God.”

Braxton was charged with first-degree murder. The body had not yet been identified. Police said that evidence suggested the victim had been pregnant.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Rhesus Pieces posted:

@JuanMThompson: Prosecutor says straight up: "We don't second guess police officers." "It's clear the officers were not criminal."

@hash_said: Prosecutor: "It would be unresponsible & unreasonable to require a police officer to wait & see if gun is a real."

@KateAronoff: Prosecutor McGinty says Rice should have known better before playing in the park, because he "looked older"

This poo poo needs to be written in laser beams on the goddamn moon or something, what in the earthly gently caress. There is not a :psyduck: big enough

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
It's black childrens' fault that they make white people uncomfortable when they go to the park so he's got a point.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Rhesus Pieces posted:

quote:

what in the gently caress is this :cry:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

The Maroon Hawk posted:

what in the gently caress is this :cry:

Its an Open Carry state in 'Muricah.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

Jackson Taus posted:

Let's be fair here. It was kinda clear early on that 2014 was unlikely to be a banner year, and a lot of benches got hit pretty hard in 2010. So it's not like these state-level Democratic parties had a lot of choices. The "good" candidates are generally smart enough to sit out being a challenger in tough elections - notice how nobody except Bernie Sanders (who probably can't run in 2020/2024), Tommy Carcetti, and a pair of basically-Republicans challenged Hillary for the nomination? That's because the Democratic Governors/Senators who are left realized they couldn't beat Hillary (or that there's no room in a field to be more moderate than Hillary or more liberal than Bernie and precious little daylight between them) and so didn't run. You've got the same problem here - if I'm a popular mayor or a state senator or something, I'm keeping my head down in 2014, rolling the dice that things look better in 2018 or whatever.

Nothing about this changes the fact that the Ohio Democratic Party is absolute poo poo. On the other hand, former governor Ted Strickland's entire term consisted of appeasement to Republicans on the hope of getting reelected in 2010 so :lol: the joke's on him.
And us. :smith:

Vienna Circlejerk fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 29, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Bernie's out with four new TV ads. I have to admit loving that he uses Vermonters in them. An earlier one had a dairy farmer from Lyndonville and now a nurse from Lincoln.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9LQ4hUmRUU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94yoGhVuOUc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCQKU3sZo3g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkyjwqkNIOI

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Joementum posted:

Kasich's opponent in 2014 was already a weak candidate who then got caught in a car with a woman who wasn't his wife at 4am, at which point the national party pulled its support.

Ed FitzGerald failed to get a god drat loving driver's license for over a loving decade. Yet still drove with temps and learner's permits. Yea: he had a learner's permit while he was building Amero-Irish relations in a dark parking lot.

FitzGerald also loving managed to only be in his actual loving County Executive office all of fifty-loving-three days out of an 18 month period after he was elected to that position.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Rhesus Pieces posted:

And are officially a lethal threat the second they hit puberty.

The Miami Gardens PD thinks black toddlers look like teens*. Also look up stuff on this PD. They literally arrested one guy hundreds of times to meet a quota.

*and black teens look like adults so

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
Aside from the one with the cell phone video of the officer just straight-up shooting the guy in the back (I have lost track of the unjustified shootings at this point so I forget which one that was), this was pretty much the slam-dunkiest of the cases, and the one where strenuous protests were most thoroughly justified. So whelp. :shrug:

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Glad I waited until now to visit this thread today. I got three proposals. Two could be adopted in every state and the third would be difficult to adopt in any state that isn't solid blue.

1) Establish an office of Independent Investigator in each state charged with the responsibility of investigating peace officers and the power to hire an Independent Prosecutor. (This is the one that probably won't happen ever, anywhere.)
2) Require rigorous training for all peace officers in non-lethal response methods and continuing training every year in non-lethal response.
3) Increase the number of minority officers in every peace officer force to reflect the demographics of the community they are policing.

That's all I got. And I don't know how we can accomplish any of those things because each of them costs money and that's something that no state wants to hear.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Even places like r/news that are full of racist shitbags who hand wave away most of these shootings are struggling to find justification for this one.

I'm not at all surprised but god drat man, gently caress this country :smith:

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

radical meme posted:

Glad I waited until now to visit this thread today. I got three proposals. Two could be adopted in every state and the third would be difficult to adopt in any state that isn't solid blue.

1) Establish an office of Independent Investigator in each state charged with the responsibility of investigating peace officers and the power to hire an Independent Prosecutor. (This is the one that probably won't happen ever, anywhere.)
2) Require rigorous training for all peace officers in non-lethal response methods and continuing training every year in non-lethal response.
3) Increase the number of minority officers in every peace officer force to reflect the demographics of the community they are policing.

That's all I got. And I don't know how we can accomplish any of those things because each of them costs money and that's something that no state wants to hear.

While part 3 would definitely help, it's total impact is likely rather limited since we see in areas where there are larger minority police populations the overall culture of police departments still exists to perpetuate systemic bias. Doubly so if you buy the argument that newer members of the police force are limited in their ability to change the culture due to retaliation, etc.

Part 1 and 2 are likely to be impossibly difficult by simple claims of "budget concerns", external for 1 and internal for 2, although the impetus to improve in either regard doesn't exist much at all from within which is is a massive barrier. I'm interested to know your opinion or thoughts on how external forces would produce changes in those areas, knowing your opinions on protesting by the BLM.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Sorrow your drinks away.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
The thing is, this becomes the justification people need. "Look, he was a bad guy. They didn't even prosecute the officers after shooting him."

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Does anyone know where one can find monthly job losses/gains by state?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Mr Interweb posted:

Does anyone know where one can find monthly job losses/gains by state?

I googled "monthly job losses/gains by state"

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/cewbd.t06.htm

they have lots of statistics there

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

States' rights wound up being a terrible idea.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Stereotype posted:

I googled "monthly job losses/gains by state"

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/cewbd.t06.htm

they have lots of statistics there

I saw that too, but I need something that can give me parameters for dates and such.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
gently caress the police

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

quote:

:psyboom: This guy deserves a major beatdown.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Mr Interweb posted:

but he said it was a tragedy on all sides. the makes all his statements ok. :colbert:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Stereotype posted:

It comes from a fairly unrelated indictment of term limits; that the practice basically gives the Governor a lot more power since Senators can no longer expect to outlast any given Governor.

I'd believe that Jeb literally took away money for helping children with cancer.

People joke about Jeb and stuff, but its important to remember, he"s a total dick. For reference : Florida has the worst graduation rate and least amount of money spent per pupil at least partly due to initiatives he rammed thru. In short, Jeb can absolutely get hosed.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Mr Interweb posted:

I don't condone violence against the elderly; he looks like he's pushing 90, easy.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

joeburz posted:

While part 3 would definitely help, it's total impact is likely rather limited since we see in areas where there are larger minority police populations the overall culture of police departments still exists to perpetuate systemic bias. Doubly so if you buy the argument that newer members of the police force are limited in their ability to change the culture due to retaliation, etc.

Part 1 and 2 are likely to be impossibly difficult by simple claims of "budget concerns", external for 1 and internal for 2, although the impetus to improve in either regard doesn't exist much at all from within which is is a massive barrier. I'm interested to know your opinion or thoughts on how external forces would produce changes in those areas, knowing your opinions on protesting by the BLM.

All three really need to happen but, any two of the three are absolutely necessary for any real change. The impetus for change has to come from outside because police and prosecutors are going to resist change. So you have to have social and community groups lobby for these changes. Improved training in non-lethal force is just an obvious winning proposal. It would improve the quality and preparedness of all peace officers and would be the toughest proposal for them to lobby against. We just have to start with lobbying receptive legislators and go from there.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Trevor Hale posted:

States' rights wound up being a terrible idea.

Oh god he's posting from 1789 and 1861 simultaneously someone call the Time Police :ohdear:

(Also 1883 and, gosh, most years I guess)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Oh god he's posting from 1789 and 1861 simultaneously someone call the Time Police :ohdear:

(Also 1883 and, gosh, most years I guess)

I will do that tomorrow but am about to find out they really don't like threedies, as they call us

Also time machine guns are the reason we won't have nice things

• Locked thread