Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Klaus88 posted:

How long was it since we had a serious riot related to race in the US?

The Baltimore riots this April, no?

EDIT: Actually there were riots this August around the Michael Brown shooting anniversary too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Klaus88 posted:

How long was it since we had a serious riot related to race in the US?

Depending on what qualifies in your mind as a serious race riot, anything from the Rodney King riots in LA back in the early 90s up to, well, arguably what's been going down the last few years in this or that city.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Sword of Chomsky posted:

I'm pretty sure you're completely wrong. Libertarians love to use their ideology as a cover for complete bigotry.

Grandpa who lived through the civil rights? Anything he says is just a cover for how he hates black people.

Libertarians? Nah, unless he's the kind of shitter who posts 14/88 memes everywhere he's likely honestly horrified by this.

...I mean seriously, you gotta wait until the kid at least grows up to a thug until you get the full point value in the shooting gallery of life. Anything less means you're not getting full value out of the fact that your blue uniform doubles as a "get out of jail free" card. Shooting children to inflate your body-count is just scrub tier noob tactics.

This goddamned nation is making me too jaded...

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Depending on what qualifies in your mind as a serious race riot, anything from the Rodney King riots in LA back in the early 90s up to, well, arguably what's been going down the last few years in this or that city.

Feel free to take your pick, Klaus88. The August Ferguson riots went on for two days, though, that's not un-serious in my mind.

EDIT: Super duper beaten

Combed Thunderclap fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Dec 30, 2015

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
So is RaHOWa gonna start or not?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

DemeaninDemon posted:

So is RaHOWa gonna start or not?

powders not getting any drier over here, yknow

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Hopefully it's not too soon. I need time figuring out where I am on the Cube.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
It's incredible how peaceful the BLM protests have been relative to the ones during the civil rights era

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Presto posted:

Virginia's licenses are compliant. At least, mine (from 2010) appears to have everything they're supposed to have. I guess they just asked for an extension so they could replace the old licenses gradually as they expired rather than doing some bigger rollout.

NC's are now. It was gonna be sooner but the original contractor the state used hosed something up so they had to cancel and find another one, so they didn't start printing complaint ones until this year. They look really stupid.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Why would anyone care what libertarians think about anything?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

baw posted:

It's incredible how peaceful the BLM protests have been relative to the ones during the civil rights era

Yeah, they're not getting sprayed with hoses or having attack dogs sicced on them, it's crazy.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

blue squares posted:

Entertainment value?

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

radical meme posted:

I stand by that assessment and will until they do something productive.

Hi. I'm a Unitarian Universalist. My denomination has really gotten behind this whole Black Lives Matter thing, but gosh, maybe it's just a waste of time.

Vienna Circlejerk fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Dec 30, 2015

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Kitfox88 posted:

Yeah, they're not getting sprayed with hoses or having attack dogs sicced on them, it's crazy.

Cops should always be disciplined and calm. it's their job.

nationwide protests involving tens of thousands of oppressed and impoverished people staying as generally peaceful as BLM has been seems like a miracle

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

blue squares posted:

It's funny watching them distort reality to fit their ideals?

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
The 1980 Miami-Dade riots seem like the definitive race riots in my mind, mostly because it seems like black people just had enough and decided to express their anger with a whole lot of violence.

Which of course is something that no white person has ever done, unlike those savage urban thugs. :qqsay:

Alkydere posted:

Entertainment value?

Evidence for the guillotine.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

blue squares posted:

Because their ideas make their way to economic and political policy.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

Hi. I'm a Unitarian Universalist. My denomination has really gotten behind this whole Black Lives Matter thing, but gosh, maybe it's just a waste of time.

lol

let's vandalize some church signs because our white folk feelings got hurt :qq:

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Stultus Maximus posted:

Because their ideas make their way to economic and political policy.

Pure coincidence

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER
Two Unitarians on one page! Wowzers, ain't that a small world.

Truly, it seems that the rest of the white people in this country are truly vile and reactionary people. All it takes is one relative to be a cop, and they go full mouthbreather on me.

Dollars to donuts, it's because they think we're some black church or something. The amount of people who actually know who we are and what we do are close to nil.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Kitfox88 posted:

lol

let's vandalize some church signs because our white folk feelings got hurt :qq:

I'm sure the fact that all the people I know who say poo poo like "all lives matter" are also gigantic loving racists is a simple coincidence.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

paranoid randroid posted:

powders not getting any drier over here, yknow

It's dryer than the GOP's tears at the Tamir Rice decision.

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I'm sure the fact that all the people I know who say poo poo like "all lives matter" are also gigantic loving racists is a simple coincidence.

I'd like to emptyquote this, but that's against forum rules.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

paranoid randroid posted:

you arrived at that assessment because they delayed some flights in minnesota - a move which im sure you would have been all in favor of it had happened in alabama

its okay to admit you made a dumb, knee-jerk post. everyone does it. let the healing begin, radical meme.

No, you haven't gone far enough back in my posting history. I've posted criticism of BLM long before that. Here's my core problem with BLM:

The only thing they are good at is tapping into and exploiting unfocused impotent rage. In this regard, they are the mirror image of Trump's campaign for President. Trump has tapped into the unfocused impotent rage of white people and BLM has done the same for black people. Neither is productive or beneficial in the long run.

Add to this my belief that many of their actions are counter-productive to their own interest and the interest of the black community. I think they have unrealized potential but, I have concerns that they will never accomplish anything productive. I have a very strong concern that they will choose to engage in very counter-productive actions during the 2016 election.

edit: many seem to think that I just don't like the idea of BLM which is wrong. I've got no problem with the truth that Black Lives do and should Matter to everyone.

radical meme fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Dec 30, 2015

cams
Mar 28, 2003

radical meme posted:

No, you haven't gone far enough back in my posting history. I've posted criticism of BLM long before that. Here's my core problem with BLM:

The only thing they are good at is tapping into and exploiting unfocused impotent rage. In this regard, they are the mirror image of Trump's campaign for President. Trump has tapped into the unfocused impotent rage of white people and BLM has done the same for black people. Neither is productive or beneficial in the long run.

Add to this my belief that many of their actions are counter-productive to their own interest and the interest of the black community. I think they have unrealized potential but, I have concerns that they will never accomplish anything productive. I have a very strong concern that they will choose to engage in very counter-productive actions during the 2016 election.
these are all super well thought out points, could you speak on them more please?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Now ponder for a moment what would've happened if it were a black church

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I made a couple people stutter when I asked them why Happy Holidays erases Christmas if All Lives Matter doesn't erase blacks.

And by stutter I mean do a complete 180 to a different subject which is the right wing response to like everything when they expected you to simply agree with them because you're a white dude in Indiana

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

cams posted:

these are all super well thought out points, could you speak on them more please?

No. Ask a question if you've got one.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

radical meme posted:

yeah i dont know what black people would have to be upset about, they've got it as good as white people in this country

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

radical meme posted:

edit: many seem to think that I just don't like the idea of BLM which is wrong. I've got no problem with the truth that Black Lives do and should Matter to everyone.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/09/us/missouri-court-reform/

http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/7/71/872227/rauner-police-reform-chokeholds-bodycams-dashcams

http://www.mlive.com/lansing-news/index.ssf/2015/10/snyder_signs_michigan_civil_as.html

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/242346-obama-limiting-military-hardware-to-police-departments

http://www.coloradoindependent.com/152300/republicans-join-police-reform-movement-at-the-capitol

And thats just a few examples hmm sure aren't producing any results...

(Cue bitching about how incremental change is as bad as no change at all)

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Stultus Maximus posted:

Yeah, um, the complaint vs noncompliant states aren't red/blue like you think:

Right. It's actually almost the other way around, in part because RealID basically requires states which give drivers licenses to illegal immigrants to stop doing so or to at least make the licenses visibly different from those of citizens.

Unsurprisingly, immigrant rights advocates aren't happy about painting a bright sign that says "I'm an illegal! Please arrest me if you pulled me over!" on these guys' backs, so the map of states that give licenses to illegals is (at least in part) the opposite of the Real ID compliance map.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

baw posted:

I wonder if we'll eventually see a serious discussion come out of BLM that advocates for arming the black population to combat police violence.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

I wonder if we'll eventually see a serious discussion come out of BLM that advocates for arming the black population to combat police violence.

hmmm dont they always say the point of the second amendment is to protect against tyranny? How about tyranny of the police?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Serious or sane, pick at most one.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

I've also seen The Spook Who Sat By The Door.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

I didn't realize that BLM was taking direct credit for each of those changes. Especially since none of those articles name or even mention Black Lives Matter. But, even incremental change, regardless of who is responsible for it, is a good thing.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

That doesn't work. Ask any of the dozens of black people killed in the past months just because the cops thought they might have had a gun.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

MODS CURE JOKES posted:

Two Unitarians on one page! Wowzers, ain't that a small world.

Truly, it seems that the rest of the white people in this country are truly vile and reactionary people. All it takes is one relative to be a cop, and they go full mouthbreather on me.

Dollars to donuts, it's because they think we're some black church or something. The amount of people who actually know who we are and what we do are close to nil.

:hf:

I haven't checked, but I think it's more vandalism than our congregations got for being pro-LGBT rights, though I suppose the latter tends to include more property damage than just a banner. Sometimes I'm kind of glad not many people know who we are and what we do, at least after the Knoxville right wing domestic terrorist attack lone wolf deranged shooter.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

blue squares posted:

hmmm dont they always say the point of the second amendment is to protect against tyranny? How about tyranny of the police?

I always ask that question of people who want to use guns against a tyrannical government. Who gets to decide when guns should be used against the government? Does a consensus need to be reached, or can an individual decide that the government is acting unjustly? If the latter, why are people like Eric Frein and Christopher Dorner demonized for taking up arms against the government?

Was their decision to take up arms against the government flawed because of MENTAL ILLNESSS!! or is the reality that murdering people is a really abohrrent way of enacting change in a democracy?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Luigi Thirty posted:

Another Sikh attacked today, this time in Louisiana. A man yelled racial slurs at a convenience store employee and smashed a beer bottle over his head when asked to leave.

http://www.knoe.com/home/headlines/Monroe-man-arrested-for-hate-crime--363724221.html?device=phone&c=y

These seem to be happening every day or every other day now somewhere in America. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

hallebarrysoetoro posted:

I always ask that question of people who want to use guns against a tyrannical government. Who gets to decide when guns should be used against the government? Does a consensus need to be reached, or can an individual decide that the government is acting unjustly? If the latter, why are people like Eric Frein and Christopher Dorner demonized for taking up arms against the government?

Was their decision to take up arms against the government flawed because of MENTAL ILLNESSS!! or is the reality that murdering people is a really abohrrent way of enacting change in a democracy?

It's simple, if they start a rebellion and that rebellion eventually wins control of the country then they were divinely justified and a "heavn' born band", if not they they were a lone wolf mentally ill transgender liberal.

• Locked thread