Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

thespaceinvader posted:

Is there something I'm missing? I just bought a pot of Tamiya White because gently caress giving GW money, and it behaves differently from basically every other paint I've used, including the pot of Tamiya Nato Black I picked up at the same time. If I use it neat is dries out and goes tacky or stringy almost instantly, if I try to thin it with water it either goes so thin that it pools horribly and acts more like a wash, or almost curdles. Halp.

My nice stark dark grey/white scheme has gone more like dark grey/light grey :(

What is the model number of the paint? Maybe you grabbed the enamel instead of the acrylic?

Edit: hmmm i checked and all their paints are "acrylic," but i know that i thin my Smoke with their lacquer thinner and not water.

Any Tamiya experts around here?

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Dec 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

dexefiend posted:

What is the model number of the paint? Maybe you grabbed the enamel instead of the acrylic?

X-2, but it definitely says 'acrylic paint' on the label, I checked before I bought it.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Tamiya paints need to be thinned with Tamiya thinner, I think it's X-22A

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

krushgroove posted:

Tamiya paints need to be thinned with Tamiya thinner, I think it's X-22A

Dagnabit if I knew that I would have bought some when I was there.

Fortunately I will be there on Tuesday.

Super lame though.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
So, uh, what's the best way to get superglue off of pewter? I tried to wash some excess off a Hordes Boneswarm and instead it ran and pooled inside all the sculpted lines.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

An Angry Bug posted:

So, uh, what's the best way to get superglue off of pewter? I tried to wash some excess off a Hordes Boneswarm and instead it ran and pooled inside all the sculpted lines.

Stick it in the freezer overnight, then take it out and let it get to room temperature. The cold will weaken the bond and let you scrape it off easier.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Alternatively, acetone as long as you don't care about the paintwork. I think acetone hits cyanoacrylate.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Haven't posted in awhile but I thought you guys might like this:

Custom pegboard paint holder. Made it snap together but a dab of glue on the cross bars is all you need to keep it stable if the tolerances are too low to friction fit.

Have to print like 2 more sets for the rest of my paints (plus adjust the hole size for the tamiya and generic paint bottles).

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

thespaceinvader posted:

Alternatively, acetone as long as you don't care about the paintwork. I think acetone hits cyanoacrylate.

It does. 5-10 minutes in some acetone turns CA into jelly that you can easily scrape off with a knife.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

JackMann posted:

Reaper HD Armor Grey might be close to what you want. You might also look at their Military Grey (not Military Green as suggested by the equivalency charts).

Good call, thanks, I'll check it out :)

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

enri posted:

Can anyone recommend a close match for the old citadel foundation adeptus battlegrey? My pot is finally running low and it's a colour I use on literally everything, closest I can see is P3 greatcoat grey but I'm pretty sure it's got a bit of a blue tinge to it.

I've checked out the usual comparison charts, which list vallejos equivalents... and they are practically green (VGC heavy grey and VMC russian uniform) so I'm not touching those with a barge pole.

Failing that, I'll just have to work out the ratio of white to black and mix up my own batch (and remember to write down the ratios)

Greatcoat does have a very slight blueish tinge, but Ironhull Grey seems closer to Adeptus.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

thespaceinvader posted:

Avenging Dentist posted:

It does. 5-10 minutes in some acetone turns CA into jelly that you can easily scrape off with a knife.

No paint on it yet, so sounds like a plan. Thanks.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

JoshTheStampede posted:

Greatcoat does have a very slight blueish tinge, but Ironhull Grey seems closer to Adeptus.

I actually remembered a short while back that I have a pot of greatcoat grey and had a quick peak at it, and yea, that blue tinge is what's put me off using it in the past. Thanks for the heads up on ironhull grey though, I'll check that out too whilst I'm at it :)

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

An Angry Bug posted:

No paint on it yet, so sounds like a plan. Thanks.

One more thing: it will probably strip any putty you have on the mini, although I've never tried using acetone on putty, so this is second-hand info.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Just got this Reaper Oni cleaned up and zenithal primed, but I can't decide if I want to go with a red oni or a blue oni. Suggestions?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Why not both, right down the middle?

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Honk honk motherfuckers!

Got some gaps to smooth out with greenstuff, but after that it's ready to be detailed - I'm thinking a metric poo poo-ton of rivers and a bigass XIV insignia stretching across the front plow, made out of plasticard strips and more plastic rod rivets. Break up that huge smooth plain of the plow and make sure the other guys know who they're about to get run over by.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I've been doing a lot of advanced blending lately, so I decided to do some real quick block highlights. Block highlights are fun. And relaxing.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Avenging Dentist posted:

One more thing: it will probably strip any putty you have on the mini, although I've never tried using acetone on putty, so this is second-hand info.

Dichloromethane (industrial paint stripper/organic solvent/chloroform/plastic weld) will dissolve acrylic, superglue and any putty on the miniature. Best way of prepping old metal miniatures for new paint. I would support the notion that acetone will do the same thing.

Edit ^^^ Awesome :frogout: Very subtle but effective texturing on the cape, skin and staff. Were they all freehanded in?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Drake_263 posted:

Honk honk motherfuckers!

Got some gaps to smooth out with greenstuff, but after that it's ready to be detailed - I'm thinking a metric poo poo-ton of rivers and a bigass XIV insignia stretching across the front plow, made out of plasticard strips and more plastic rod rivets. Break up that huge smooth plain of the plow and make sure the other guys know who they're about to get run over by.

This owns dude

dmnz
Feb 14, 2012

BNNRROWNWNWOWOWOWO
Two more ranks done for my mercenary orc boys unit. I'm calling these guys the Hired Goons.
Shields and banner looted from previous campaigns in the bitsbox Warhammer world.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

dmnz posted:

Two more ranks done for my mercenary orc boys unit. I'm calling these guys the Hired Goons.
Shields and banner looted from previous campaigns in the bitsbox Warhammer world.

This is awesome. Please let me know how you do the orc skin!

Edit: Also looking for ways to do black orc skin. Tried 4 different methods so far and not happy with any.

with a rebel yell she QQd fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 1, 2016

dmnz
Feb 14, 2012

BNNRROWNWNWOWOWOWO
Thanks!
The skin for these guy is a black undercoat, Waagh Flesh, pure Snot Green from an old pot, then something like 50/50 Snot Green / Sunburst Yellow also from an old pot.
This is brighter than I'd usually go for but I feel old models deserve vibrant colors.

I had to experiment with Black orc skin a bit till I found something that I liked.
From memory it was Orkhide Shade (would have been Dark Angles Green but it had run out) then 50/50 Orkhide Shade / Snot Green. Then a touch of pure Snot Green as a vary sparse final highlight.
I'm painting the classic mid 90's Black orc models so again its a bit of a classic color scheme.
It maynot work so well on the recent models.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
Oath Thread Crosspost!

Dr. Gargunza posted:

:siren: Oath Complete! :siren:

Claiming the technical challenge for the red on the spellcaster types.

Dang it, how do I keep getting all this frickin' dust on these?

Full disclosure on the orc medic: Part of his saw broke off earlier this afternoon, which caused me a bit of panic for a couple of minutes until I realized I liked the look of a shorter sawblade better. It was a clean break, so I just painted over the end as seen below.

Full album is here (basically just these same pics, but bigger).

And a Happy New Year, fellow paintgoons! :confuoot:

Dr. Gargunza fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 1, 2016

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Cool poo poo as always, doc.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Finished one last mini for the new year, and got started on another.

Wizard dude is for the pathfinder game I'm in. Not the cleanest or neatest work, but it'll do for tabletop.

I ended up going with blue for this guy. I briefly thought about doing it down the middle as CFH suggested, but I don't think I have the painting chops to quite pull it off.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

dmnz posted:

Thanks!
The skin for these guy is a black undercoat, Waagh Flesh, pure Snot Green from an old pot, then something like 50/50 Snot Green / Sunburst Yellow also from an old pot.
This is brighter than I'd usually go for but I feel old models deserve vibrant colors.

I had to experiment with Black orc skin a bit till I found something that I liked.
From memory it was Orkhide Shade (would have been Dark Angles Green but it had run out) then 50/50 Orkhide Shade / Snot Green. Then a touch of pure Snot Green as a vary sparse final highlight.
I'm painting the classic mid 90's Black orc models so again its a bit of a classic color scheme.
It maynot work so well on the recent models.

This is great as I also need it for '93-'94 black orcs/orcs. Now to get a pot of Waagh Flesh on Jan 1st..

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
How do you get a citadel glaze to apply evenly over a flat surface?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Getting bored of painting space marines and want to paint some space bugs that I have for a bit. What do you all think of this color scheme?

Or this. I seem to be hellbent on using tertiary colors.

Star Man fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 1, 2016

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Looking for some color scheme advice. Below are test models I am doing for a dropzone commander PHR force. I like it generally, something seems off. Recomendations for color changes or accent colors for parts? All these models have done to them so far is preshading, yellow base and the brown after all done, sloppily, with airbrush.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
I like the one on the left the most. Middle is meh, right one evokes thoughts of something organic looking (which might be good or bad).

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I believe part of your problem is you preshaded in black then applied yellow. So, now your yellow is green or has a green undertone to it, which combined with brown looks kinda like bile. Preshade with brown if you want.

Good accent colors: desaturated blues, saturated light blues, light creams.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Star Man posted:

Getting bored of painting space marines and want to paint some space bugs that I have for a bit. What do you all think of this color scheme?

I like the second one more.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
So I'm about halfway through painting some smashfuckers, and I'm coming to an issue with my color scheme. I'm perfectly happy with the Legionnaires themselves (though I think I'll repaint the shields in blue), but I'm not feeling the mounts. I'm thinking of redoing them a very very dark red, like in this guy. I feel like I've already lost the opportunity to paint them in their Legion's colors, since I don't want to strip and start over. Thoughts?

(Actually now that I look at the pictures, the dark bronze is growing on me. Maybe painting the shields blue really is the answer.)

Also, I painting this dude up for a coworker's secret santa present. At the time I wasn't satisfied, especially with his head, but now that there's a week between painting and looking, I'm pretty pleased. I definitely wouldn't have been able to put together anything like this a year ago.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Star Man posted:

I like the orange one, but would dull down that orange some more. You don't want it to stand out TOO much from the rest of the model.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

DeadGame posted:

How do you get a citadel glaze to apply evenly over a flat surface?

Make sure you only have a little bit of glaze on your brush and ensure you aren't flooding the area like you would with a wash. If you see ride marks in the glaze use a wet brush to feather it out while the paint is still wet

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I got some stuff done today, again!

Extra detailing from some mil- and half-mil plasticard

And with the gaps filled with greenstuff.

I'm letting the 'stuff cure overnight, and I'll sand it down a bit to smooth it out tomorrow. After that, all I need is to file the gaps between the plates a bit (helping to separate the XIV from the reinforced lower edge of the plow) and add approximately a metric fuckload (1 fuckload = 4 poo poo-tons) of rivets.

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

My Kingdom Death starting survivors are pretty much done.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
How do they make such fancy lanterns with only stone tools?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Star Man posted:

I like the second one, also you might want to look at Legion of Everblight schemes for inspiration.