Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
It comes up a lot because video games are for children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

BadAstronaut posted:

I'm still learning. Tonight I said anime wrong, and a few months ago I described Japanese rpgs as often being very juvenile with too many child protagonists saying childish things and got this thread into quite a tizz, I can tell you.

Who knows what will happen next.

Shining Force's GBA remake better be great or there will be hell to pay.

shining force is anime.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

bloodychill posted:

Anime melodrama gets tiresome and sometimes it's nice to play games where you don't need overly expressive caricatures to help you understand what's going on
can you point to some WRPGs without overly expressive caricatures

ive seen way more effective and subtle characterization in JRPGs

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Endorph posted:

i legitimately don't understand what people mean when they use the word anime like that though, especially when they want breath of fire sequels and love dragon quest and ff7

I meant it like "dumb childish Japanese animation". But I don't love ff7 so maybe you mean someone else :confused:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
barkley: shut up and jam: gaiden is the best rpg of all time

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

bloodychill posted:

Anime melodrama gets tiresome and sometimes it's nice to play games where you don't need overly expressive caricatures to help you understand what's going on, thigh I get that some people need certain very visible cues because they have trouble understanding subtext.

I wouldn't say that anime has the melodrama market cornered or anything

What western games are you pointing to as lacking caricatures and having subtext

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Ruggington posted:

shining force is anime.

Anime I can handle. But anime-like? Don't get me started!

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
hope i'm not stepping on any toes by saying that but it's the truth

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Erg posted:

What western games are you pointing to as lacking caricatures and having subtext

Ultima, obv

alcharagia posted:

kid characters in rpgs of any nationality are 80% garbage let's be real here

I love this post

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Now if we take "best" to mean "the sum of its parts is overall the highest quality" I'd say it's Chrono Trigger because there's no bad parts of Chrono Trigger and it's astoundingly good from beginning to end, but Barkley: Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden loving rules and is the best.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

bloodychill posted:

Anime melodrama gets tiresome and sometimes it's nice to play games where you don't need overly expressive caricatures to help you understand what's going on, thigh I get that some people need certain very visible cues because they have trouble understanding subtext.

Thank you, man with Adventure Time avatar.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Davincie posted:

i got the platinium in ni no kuni
When's the funeral?

Speaking of a different topic, is there anything I should know/do in Xenoblade X now that I own it and am going to start it shortly?

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I loved Chrono Trigger. Good game.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

alcharagia posted:

kid characters in rpgs of any nationality are 80% garbage let's be real here

Tita is pretty cool.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

alcharagia posted:

Now if we take "best" to mean "the sum of its parts is overall the highest quality" I'd say it's Chrono Trigger because there's no bad parts of Chrono Trigger and it's astoundingly good from beginning to end, but Barkley: Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden loving rules and is the best.

Chrono Trigger's trash mob fights are boring and repetitive.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Thank you, man with Adventure Time avatar.
doesn't that show reference anime constantly

Strange Quark posted:

also the only really interesting parts of the story are frog and magus, and they make up maybe 20-25% of it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Endorph posted:

Probably, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people working on it watch anime.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

The Colonel posted:

Probably, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people working on it watch anime.

didn't it have an actual anime director directing one of the episodes

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Erg posted:

yeah yuasa directed an episode

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Erg posted:

yeah, masaaki yuasa did an ep.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

yeah yuasa directed an episode

that's p cool

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Erg posted:

that's p cool
he did an episode of wakfu too

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Endorph posted:

Masaaki Yuasa literally directed an episode.

E: beaten while I was looking up how to spell his name properly

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

alcharagia posted:

the best rpg of all time

Still The World Ends with You, but KH3 has a hope of beating it if all this crazy story pays off even a little bit.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Endorph posted:

he did an episode of wakfu too

It's, like, the only episode I've seen and it's really loving good, too

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

A trailer's soundtrack is very important as the same video with not Japanese pop song would have hooked me. But add that music overt those visuals and I thunk it looks lame (as a first impression based only off a very short trailer). But then the opening vid for Legend of Heroes Tails in the Sky is not miles off that, visually, but sounds way different and leaves a very different impression - for me at least.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Strange Quark posted:

Endorph posted:

also the only really interesting parts of the story are frog and magus, and they make up maybe 20-25% of it.

these are fair points; what I mean is, Chrono Trigger is very balanced. It has its weak points but its breakneck pacing both in-battle and out keep them from lasting too long and overall the weak points are balanced out by its high points well enough that it comes out to say, a B+/A- grade overall. There are absolutely RPGs I like better than Chrono Trigger, plenty of them, but Chrono Trigger is like, a B- to A- in every single respect, which is a high point in and of itself

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Still The World Ends with You, but KH3 has a hope of beating it if all this crazy story pays off even a little bit.

if we're talking about rpgs i like better than chrono trigger

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

BadAstronaut posted:

A trailer's soundtrack is very important as the same video with not Japanese pop song would have hooked me. But add that music overt those visuals and I thunk it looks lame (as a first impression based only off a very short trailer). But then the opening vid for Legend of Heroes Tails in the Sky is not miles off that, visually, but sounds way different and leaves a very different impression - for me at least.
j-pop is cool and the japanese people are cool

alcharagia posted:

these are fair points; what I mean is, Chrono Trigger is very balanced. It has its weak points but its breakneck pacing both in-battle and out keep them from lasting too long and overall the weak points are balanced out by its high points well enough that it comes out to say, a B+/A- grade overall. There are absolutely RPGs I like better than Chrono Trigger, plenty of them, but Chrono Trigger is like, a B- to A- in every single respect, which is a high point in and of itself

Honestly even in its short runtime Chrono Trigger is pretty boring to me. It has a strong opening, then basically nothing until you run into Magus again, and then Crono dies and you can revive him if you want I guess but he wasn't a character so who cares, and then the rest of the game is pretty dull. I had to force myself to beat it.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

BadAstronaut posted:

Also they decided to show only the super moves in the trailer instead of like how the battles actually work

It is a good game though and you should buy it given the chance

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if you told me to list the 100 best RPGs, chrono trigger might be 88

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I'll rewatch the trailer with Baldur's Gate 2 title screen music playing and see what happens.

Yoshimo is the most Japanese thing about that game and we all remember how he turned out

BadAstronaut fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Dec 31, 2015

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
that's fair, it probably wouldn't be very high on my list either

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

BadAstronaut posted:

I'll rewatch the trailer with Baldur's Gate 2 title screen music playing and see what happens.

Yoshimo is the most Japanese thing about that game and we all remember how he I turned out

What a strange little man you are.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

BadAstronaut posted:

Yoshimo is the most Japanese thing about that game and we all remember how he I turned out
what did japan do to you

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Erg posted:

It is a good game though and you should buy it given the chance

Yeah I'm not hating on the gameplay stuff at all.

It comes out here in January and I'll check it out.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
poo poo, if we're talking about RPGs I enjoyed more than Chrono Trigger it probably wouldn't even make the top 100, considering my taste is such that I'm the world's leading authority on Megaman X Command Mission

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

alcharagia posted:

poo poo, if we're talking about RPGs I enjoyed more than Chrono Trigger it probably wouldn't even make the top 100, considering my taste is such that I'm the world's leading authority on Megaman X Command Mission

command mission was okay, but i wish spider didn't get owned

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Endorph posted:

can you point to some WRPGs without overly expressive caricatures

ive seen way more effective and subtle characterization in JRPGs

That have absolutely none? Hard to say since melodrama is popular. In recent years, New Vegas had mostly natural characterizations, notably the companions, Caesar, and NPC's that weren't House, though even his grand-standing made sense considering his unique situation.

I'm interested in what JRPG's have mostly subtle characterizations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

KH3 will conclude the first phase of Kingdom Hearts.