Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

PleasureKevin posted:

i've thought about it. and while it's only 80 bucks it's 80 bucks spent on a computer i use for like a few hours a week mostly while mumbling "geez this game sucks balls"

provided the pc has at least SATA II you won't regret it at all. i got a cheap ssd for my ancient 2008 mbp and since the lovely nvidia controller will only do SATA I i just put the larger capacity 7200 rpm drive back in it since it was literally the same experience and put the (sata iii) ssd in my hackintosh as a wandows drive instead

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

PleasureKevin posted:

i've thought about it. and while it's only 80 bucks it's 80 bucks spent on a computer i use for like a few hours a week mostly while mumbling "geez this game sucks balls"

I'm in the same boat. Can't really justify something I give a crap about.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Beeftweeter posted:

provided the pc has at least SATA II you won't regret it at all. i got a cheap ssd for my ancient 2008 mbp and since the lovely nvidia controller will only do SATA I i just put the larger capacity 7200 rpm drive back in it since it was literally the same experience and put the (sata iii) ssd in my hackintosh as a wandows drive instead

well i have PCI SSDs in all my Macs so i certainly know the difference, it's just like why spend ~$100 on a dumb gaming machine i hardly use.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

PleasureKevin posted:

well i have PCI SSDs in all my Macs so i certainly know the difference, it's just like why spend ~$100 on a dumb gaming machine i hardly use.
ok then since you know what the solution is and you're not willing to fix it, don't complain about it

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

the computer worked fine. then it stopped working fine, perhaps due to the OS being a piece of poo poo. a solution that is "spend more money so your lovely OS can keep being lovely, but more within your performance levels" is a "solution" that i think is really quite BOGUS

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
or maybe it's because you're launching a new game that stresses your system more than old games did, thus requiring new equipment

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
lol @ running a spindle drive for anything but file archives.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
the traditional rotation of a spindle drive gives my music and game audio a "warmer" feeling

i don't kno whow to describe it but it just sounds better

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Phoenixan posted:

the traditional rotation of a spindle drive gives my music and game audio a "warmer" feeling

i don't kno whow to describe it but it just sounds better
i listen to idm and glitch

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Fame Douglas posted:

lol @ running a spindle drive for anything but file archives.

lol @ getting banned for pc vs console posts

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

lol @ getting banned for pc vs console posts

Yeah, too many contards among the moderating staff.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Phoenixan posted:

i never noticed without checking with task man because i have an ssd, but win 10 definitely has some weird disk activity spikes for no apparent reason (probably downloading updates)

if it's during idle periods that might be the superfetch caching going on.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

PleasureKevin posted:

the computer worked fine. then it stopped working fine, perhaps due to the OS being a piece of poo poo. a solution that is "spend more money so your lovely OS can keep being lovely, but more within your performance levels" is a "solution" that i think is really quite BOGUS

it stopped working fine because your harddrive is loving dying you obtuse dense idiot.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Fame Douglas posted:

Yeah, too many contards among the moderating staff.

christ stfu

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Dodoman posted:

if it's during idle periods that might be the superfetch caching going on.
that makes more sense because i forgot all about that thing

also if the hdd is making actual loud clicking noises it's dying and needs to be replaced asap

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Unless they're just the regular grumbles and chattering that all hdds make

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Sagebrush posted:

Unless they're just the regular grumbles and chattering that all hdds make

all platter drives are dying all the time hth

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
my windows 10 compy boots up instantly and loads all my software in the blink of an eye.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Smythe posted:

my windows 10 compy boots up instantly and loads all my software* in the blink of an eye.

*steam

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

PleasureKevin posted:

in recent days tap the mouse and the computer makes this has drive clicking noise like crazy. like it's doing something really intensive but all i did was click the mouse and there's nothing on the PC but games and that's it.

Phoenixan posted:

if the hdd is making actual loud clicking noises it's dying and needs to be replaced asap
no it's definitely the operation system, because the other computer works fine

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
visiting the girlfriend's family and talking to her dad confirmed that i loving knew microsoft screwed up an update, because he was having the exact same problem with the start menu randomly disappearing and the wifi icon making GBS threads out until it mysteriously resolved itself sometime over the last 10 days when they crapped out another update

thanks for repeatedly forcing broken software down our throats

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

actually that's why Microsoft is cool again, you get to bond with your extended family over how lovely they are

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Last Chance posted:

actually that's why Microsoft is cool again, you get to bond with your extended family over how lovely they are

Starting to miss those family tech support calls? Microsoft has your back

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
ms is basically accelerating the move to dads and moms just using ipads and iphones

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Phoenixan posted:

ms is basically accelerating the move to dads and moms just using ipads and iphones

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
winders 10 trip report: i attempted to format a usb as ntfs and it failed, completely. couldn't do it. lol

it is in a vmware fusion vm but really that shouldnt matter

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Dodoman posted:

it stopped working fine because your harddrive is loving dying you obtuse dense idiot.

the hard drive is being read and written to when it shouldn't be. because the OS is pre-occupying the hard drive.

the sound is normal. when the sound is present is what's abnormal.

treasure bear
Dec 10, 2012

windows has asked me if i want to use edge instead of chrome (chome to some of you) twice now and its p-ing me off

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

tell it no!!!!!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

treasure bear posted:

(chome to some of you)

not to me

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

PleasureKevin posted:

Dodoman posted:

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Beeftweeter posted:

an SSD capped to 150MB/s with 50000 IOPS is still way better than a hard drive doing 150MB/s with 100 IOPS

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Dylan16807 posted:

an SSD capped to 150MB/s with 50000 IOPS is still way better than a hard drive doing 150MB/s with 100 IOPS

And a lot of SSDs will flip their proverbial poo poo when they're faced with a SATA-1 controller, regardless of standards and practices regarding graceful degradation.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Sir Unimaginative posted:

And a lot of SSDs will flip their proverbial poo poo when they're faced with a SATA-1 controller, regardless of standards and practices regarding graceful degradation.
if your computer is ten+ years old maybe prioritize getting a new motherboard over just dumping an ssd in it

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

anthonypants posted:

if your computer is ten+ years old maybe prioritize getting a new computer

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

anthonypants posted:

if your computer is ten+ years old maybe prioritize getting a new motherboard over just dumping an ssd in it

Well yeah, and that jerk doesn't even have the excuse of snowflake industrial/scientific equipment.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

a windows 10 update broke my game

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

anthonypants posted:

why would kevin spend money upgrading an EOL system (windows based PC) when he has a mac

kevin have u thought about buying a bespoke machine for gaming such as the Sony PlayStation Four instead of using some word processor which has been forced into running games

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

PleasureKevin posted:

a windows 10 update broke my game

You don't care about your things. Something would have broken your game sooner or later.

• Locked thread