Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Cake Attack posted:

whats the recommended overpowered build in this game?

I like running around exploring more than fighting so i'd like to kill things as fast as possible

the endgame kill everything build everyone talks about is longsword/dual guns, but that might need endgame gear to work. the blast fencer line worked just fine for me for most of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

greatn posted:

Question: how do you get affinity with hope? I want to do a quest and need two hearts and I've been questing with her for like five hours doing quests and she hasn't nudged above one heart.

Other question: any way up to the northern part of noctilum without flight module?

Answer 1: Do normal missions, story missions, and affinity missions with that person in the party if you want to gain affinity with people before postgame. Postgame, though, there are special support missions in the blade barracks you can do that just reward a shitload of affinity.

Answer 2: No, and trust me, you don't want to go up there without one anyway.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
The upper part of Noctilum was fun to get to.

Spoiler relates to the stuff up there: I flew in from the top, and got close enough to see what level the Telethia was. Then I landed to try to get an object and a level 82 Tyrant aggroed me, and broke my skell before I could land.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Electric Phantasm posted:

Edit: To actually answer your question go with Heavy all the time the only downside seems to be slower vehicle mode which I haven't noticed and refueling them is a pain in the rear end.

Refueling's really a non-issue. Either go Bind something big, or just save and quit and come back to the game tomorrow. Your Skell's fuel keeps regenerating even while you aren't playing.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Refueling's really a non-issue. Either go Bind something big, or just save and quit and come back to the game tomorrow. Your Skell's fuel keeps regenerating even while you aren't playing.

Or just hop out of your skell, find some enemies you need to farm poo poo from, and break all of the appendages, because breaking appendages refuels your skell.

I'm fairly certain this is universal, because I sure as poo poo can't find a trait on any of my Ares' equipment that does it.

You can of course also just break the appendages while in your skell, just make sure you're not spending more fuel than it regenerates. I think it gives about 250 fuel per appendage broken?

Shadowlyger fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jan 2, 2016

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Shadowlyger posted:

Or just hop out of your skell, find some enemies you need to farm poo poo from, and break all of the appendages, because breaking appendages refuels your skell.

I'm fairly certain this is universal, because I sure as poo poo can't find a trait on any of my Ares' equipment that does it.

You can of course also just break the appendages while in your skell, just make sure you're not spending more fuel than it regenerates. I think it gives about 250 fuel per appendage broken?

Holy poo poo really? I like to keep my fuel topped off so I thought my only option was to wait around or pay the miranium. Looks like it's time to reread the manual.

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001
I send you this file in order to have your advice!
I just got into this and am lvl 12. I have the affinity quest to go to noctilum to rescue blades but everything seems hard as poo poo on the way and I can't get there. I also can't continue the story now. What are my options?

In fact, i feel like I'm not sure what to do next. Every probe I try to install now tells me I need higher skills or is surrounded by lvl 20+ mobs. My other quests involve collecting bear asses or going to areas with higher lvl mobs. Am I missing something or should I be doing more grinding?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Shadowlyger posted:

Something like that yeah. One of the dudes near the AM terminal tells you this if you talk to him.

Something along the lines of "I don't understand why, but breaking appendages refuels you".

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE posted:

I just got into this and am lvl 12. I have the affinity quest to go to noctilum to rescue blades but everything seems hard as poo poo on the way and I can't get there. I also can't continue the story now. What are my options?

In fact, i feel like I'm not sure what to do next. Every probe I try to install now tells me I need higher skills or is surrounded by lvl 20+ mobs. My other quests involve collecting bear asses or going to areas with higher lvl mobs. Am I missing something or should I be doing more grinding?

Fight anything you can handle, and sprint past anything too strong for you while your team volunteers to be shields. Be sure your equipment, arts, skills are up to date.

Also just finding the mining site will give you experience so don't sweat it if your skill level isn't high enough.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE posted:

Areas are not zoned by level like, say, WoW. Run past those high-level mobs and you'll probably find something more your speed. Most high-level stuff will actually ignore you 90% of the time unless you get right up in its face.

Some basic starter advice as well;
  • Go straight for Mechanical Skill upgrades first. They're what control Probe placement.
  • Never pick up the Collection missions from the BLADE terminal. Just go through the list once in a while, tap R, and pick whichever ones you can auto-complete.
  • If you're really stuck, use the Scout console to hire someone else's PC avatar to join your party and king-hit whatever's pushing your poo poo in.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Boy, so, uh, joining Prospectors is the only option, eh? Cause getting a skell repair ticket every day, even without owning one, sounds preeeeetty nice.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

You can sneak past a lot of poo poo without being detected. There are a lot of quests that involve getting past huge scary monsters and fighting something that's like level ten when you reach your destination. Don't question it.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
Are we allowed to discuss the weird-rear end ending or is there a separate thread that I didn't see for that?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i give you my blessing

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

Are we allowed to discuss the weird-rear end ending or is there a separate thread that I didn't see for that?

Xenoblade Chronicles X: The story is so boring that even the ending is like "Yeah it honestly didn't really matter"

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jan 2, 2016

echofriendly
May 25, 2007

It don't mean butt
if it ain't got that jutt.
Grinding the Twins is agony.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Getting to a point where everything can kill me except what doesn't matter. Do I just ticket my way to a Superweapon and call it a day?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Alxprit posted:

Getting to a point where everything can kill me except what doesn't matter. Do I just ticket my way to a Superweapon and call it a day?

Go to Bahr Basin in North Sylvalum. Smash the robots around there until they cough up G-Busters and an Intergalactic -Tier Phoenix.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Go to Bahr Basin in North Sylvalum. Smash the robots around there until they cough up G-Busters and an Intergalactic -Tier Phoenix.

I already have a Phoenix and G-Buster: Does Intergalatic REALLY make that much of a difference?

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Kinda, yeah. On top of higher rarities having higher base damage, there's multiple tiers of level 50-60 weaponry you can find, both for skell and ground gear, and the IG version those guys drop is highest possible tier for both weapons if I remember right.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Why is there a section in northern Cauldros fulll of single digit level enemies?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Ometeotl posted:

Why is there a section in northern Cauldros fulll of single digit level enemies?

I suspect that's supposed to be the entry point if you were motivated enough to swim all the way there at the very beginning of the game.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

zedprime posted:

The director has said he is ready for something completely different, kind of implying XCX was already too similar to XC for his tastes. Besides the final stinger is kind of par for the Xeno- course of "and they lived philosophically strangely ever after." What could more game do to further the story? Do they cope? Do they not? They are questions that would be answered in science labs and public policy meetings, not during grand adventure.

I'd argue the opposite. The theme is relatively complete and whether people eventually cope is clear because most of the sidequests are about accepting change and understanding that it's okay to not be traditionally "human" (or Orpheon, or Prone...) but the story is ultimately inconclusive. Plot threads are introduced and then never brought up again. It's got all the vague foreshadowing of Xenogears with none of the actual reveals.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Psycho Landlord posted:

Kinda, yeah. On top of higher rarities having higher base damage, there's multiple tiers of level 50-60 weaponry you can find, both for skell and ground gear, and the IG version those guys drop is highest possible tier for both weapons if I remember right.

The difference between Planetary and IG is they also have better passive augments. The short answer being the difference is "everything is annoyed and somewhat singed" and "YOU CAN ALL BURN! :unsmigghh:"

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I really, really enjoyed Chapter 11, it was small but having to go through a proper dungeon on foot was a very nice feeling. Killing a dragon to get a key was also nice. Then the cutscenes happened and I don't know if I hate Lao for his stupid reasons to betray humanity (literally just kill yourself twice? why drag everyone down??), Lin (why the gently caress are you defending him???? there ARE sides and he's been actively working with the side we are against!) or MYSELF? (why the gently caress am I defending Lao??????????? did someone forget a dialog option??) it's just amazing how hard everyone had to conspire together in order to allow Lao to be a threat to humanity.

Got a taste at chapter 12 and had to turn off the game because I locked myself past the point of no return and almost instantly lost all my skells in that first fight, meaning no more skells for the rest of the mission and that's lame.

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

I don't much care for your negative attitude, mister.
Here's the Excavator's stripped down stats, I'm amazed how easy it was to build, it's considered a Heavy skell.

Big downside is it doesn't come with any level 60 equipment/armor attached to it, but I guess if you're good pals with Alexa and knock out that last affinity mission with her you could make a team of these pretty easily for your first level 60 skells.

Compared to the other Heavy skells, it's potential is a good chunk higher, and it's HP & evade are a little higher, but it's ranged and melee acc/atk are garbage in comparison.

Zombie Defiler fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jan 2, 2016

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
Chapter 5 is annihilating my team, even though I spent almost all my money updating everyone's equipment. Those stupid chicken mechs just mop the floor with me and I can't avoid them to get to the targets. What am I missing?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Office Thug posted:

Chapter 5 is annihilating my team, even though I spent almost all my money updating everyone's equipment. Those stupid chicken mechs just mop the floor with me and I can't avoid them to get to the targets. What am I missing?

What are you using for your PC's class build? Also are you just having your party do whatever? Focus-fire on one of them limb-by-limb and they'll go down easier.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.

Cake Attack posted:

whats the recommended overpowered build in this game?

I like running around exploring more than fighting so i'd like to kill things as fast as possible

Inflammatory posted:

the endgame kill everything build everyone talks about is longsword/dual guns, but that might need endgame gear to work. the blast fencer line worked just fine for me for most of the game.

The "easy" route to being overpowered is Ghostwalker (a dual gun buff that prevents stuff from hitting you) and infinite overdrive for damage output/keeping Ghostwalker running fast enough to not get burned through by most enemies. You achieve the latter with a combination of Arts: TP Up affixes on your weapons, an aura on your bar, and skills that give you bonus TP. Dual guns, which you're already using for Ghostwalker, has Primer and Zero Zero (which requires you to do Celica's second affinity mission, so late-game). Most melee weapons have a variety of arts that fit the bill, Longsword is popular at endgame because there's an easily farmed Ether-typed sword that synergizes well with a number of skills (Primarily Core Crusher, but also Ether Boost) to give it high damage output. You do not need this sword (Bewitched Glaive: Receding Rust, which drops from Lugalbanda in Noctilum's Vitriol Cesspool, if you're curious), any Ether-typed longsword can get you started. As long as you can get it set up it to generate 3000 TP before your overdrive runs out, you can sustain it pretty much indefinitely by just reactivating overdrive before it ends. As your overdrive count increases (every hit you do while in overdrive increases it by one, using green arts before your yellow or orange arts increases it by 2 * the number of hits), you'll have more and more time to do that. When you're in overdrive, every green art you use increases the time you're in overdrive by .5s * your overdrive count, and every blue art increases it by 1s * the count.

Augments that make this easier are Armor: Extend Overdrive, which gives you an extra 25s base on your overdrive at XX, and the various weapon augments that increase your overdrive count.

The generic internet-recommended Longsword/Dual Guns build if Ghostwalker, Primer, Zero Zero (requires affinity mission, can be replaced with Violent Streak until you do it), Offensive Stance, Rising Blade, Tornado Blade, True Stream Edge (Recruit Nagi), Blossom Dance (Nagi's second affinity mission, can be replaced by Incendiary Edge until you get that). Skills: Mighty Muscle, Yamato Spirit or TP Overdrive (for more TP generation), damage type-agnostic buffs like Supreme Sword, Background Noise, Fast Forward, and Secondary Accelerator as you like, and your choice of specific damage augments depending on the damage type of the sword you're using (Ether has Ether Boost and Core Crusher, as mentioned earlier, all the other damage types only have <type> Boost). The difference, in case you wonder, between Zero Zero and Violent Streak is mainly execution time, Zero Zero goes off way faster and generates a bit more TP unless your crit rate is through the roof. Similarly, Blossom Dance is valued over Incendiary Edge because it inherits your sword's damage type instead of being locked to Thermal, but that's not much of an issue until you're at the endgame and up against time limits for the stuff you want to do.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
All you really need to go Super Saiyan is 2 or 3 Arts: TP Up XX augments, 6000 max TP, and maybe an Extend Overdrive augment if you're still figuring out your rotation. Everything else just gives you (a lot) more damage.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

I'm still not sure if it was the just mimeosome-controlling consciousnesses that were stored in the basement, or if straight-up 20 million human minds were lost. And if it's the latter, what was that huge computer slab in the boss chamber for?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Ending talk theory:

The samarian ships look a lot like some of the tech on the Mechonis & Bionis world.

I think the samarians where immigrants from the Mechonis & Bionis world. And they already had the telethia gene implanted.
So they travel to Mira, and terraform the planet, with each continent recreating a different ecosystem.

But then, a mechonis create a special skell that can spread a virus that allow this skell to control the lives infected with the virus. This skell is the corruptor. This trigger a civil war and the samar civilization collapse, with these with the gene turning in telethia. Only some races in space survive (these that see themselves has slaves) and they pass to later generations the idea of this "kill trigger" in the humans dna.

This universe also host look-alike humans, the ones that are destroyed at the begin of the game.

About the post credits ending:

Mira have a supercomputer to control the terraformation service. I think all the data has ben transfered there. The other option is that the planet automatically upgrade/hack miosomas to host personality locally instead of remotely.

Miosomas where probably originally created to fight against the hivemind controll skell, since miosomas are immune to this mind control skell. Maybe miosomas can automatically receive updates from the existing computing framework in mira.

Tei fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jan 2, 2016

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Reiterpallasch posted:

All you really need to go Super Saiyan is 2 or 3 Arts: TP Up XX augments, 6000 max TP, and maybe an Extend Overdrive augment if you're still figuring out your rotation. Everything else just gives you (a lot) more damage.
Unless you are really into the on-foot game for the long haul, I recommend making 4 TP up X or 2 TP up XV. Same price as an XX, more wiggle room because of more TP for the same price, at the cost of your weapon augment slots not being truly min maxed but usually good enough to do what it is you want to do.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

Does changing the time also change the weather? Or do I just have to sit here and wait for rain?

And since we can talk about the ending, what the gently caress! None of that made any sense! If the database has been destroyed from the start how the gently caress did Elma make a cat before the final boss? Why keep the fact Elma is an alien a secret? By the end of the game we've met so many aliens that it literally does not matter anymore. She could have been like "hey guys I cam to earth forever ago and had to pretend to be human so this isn't actually what I look like." Who's that Fire Emblem Looking Motherfucker on the beach with Lao at the end? And for that matter, how is Lao back if his mim was destroyed and the computer backing up his mind is gone too? How does a mim get infected with the T virus and turn into the final boss when IT'S A ROBOT???? WHAT THE HELL IS THE GREAT ONE???? Where did The Vita come from? It clearly wasn't ganglion since they were trying to steal it. It looked more like Unnamed Space Cop From The Opening CG's tech with ganglion junk glued on.

The way it ends with The Story Is Never Ending makes it feel like they're not going to make another and were just like "haha we don't know guys woops."

SloppyDoughnuts fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jan 2, 2016

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

Does changing the time also change the weather? Or do I just have to sit here and wait for rain?
Changing time doesn't. But you can fast travel or use Return to Skell over and over to reroll the weather to what you need.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Tei posted:

Ending talk theory:

The samarian ships look a lot like some of the tech on the Mechonis & Bionis world.

I think the samarians where immigrants from the Mechonis & Bionis world. And they already had the telethia gene implanted.
So they travel to Mira, and terraform the planet, with each continent recreating a different ecosystem.

But then, a mechonis create a special skell that can spread a virus that allow this skell to control the lives infected with the virus. This skell is the corruptor. This trigger a civil war and the samar civilization collapse, with these with the gene turning in telethia. Only some races in space survive (these that see themselves has slaves) and they pass to later generations the idea of this "kill trigger" in the humans dna.

This universe also host look-alike humans, the ones that are destroyed at the begin of the game.

About the post credits ending:

Mira have a supercomputer to control the terraformation service. I think all the data has ben transfered there. The other option is that the planet automatically upgrade/hack miosomas to host personality locally instead of remotely.

Miosomas where probably originally created to fight against the hivemind controll skell, since miosomas are immune to this mind control skell. Maybe miosomas can automatically receive updates from the existing computing framework in mira.

you probably shouldn't post company secrets!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

And since we can talk about the ending, what the gently caress! None of that made any sense! If the database has been destroyed from the start how the gently caress did Elma make a cat before the final boss? Why keep the fact Elma is an alien a secret? By the end of the game we've met so many aliens that it literally does not matter anymore. She could have been like "hey guys I cam to earth forever ago and had to pretend to be human so this isn't actually what I look like." Who's that Fire Emblem Looking Motherfucker on the beach with Lao at the end? And for that matter, how is Lao back if his mim was destroyed and the computer backing up his mind is gone too? How does a mim get infected with the T virus and turn into the final boss when IT'S A ROBOT???? WHAT THE HELL IS THE GREAT ONE???? Where did The Vita come from? It clearly wasn't ganglion since they were trying to steal it. It looked more like Unnamed Space Cop From The Opening CG's tech with ganglion junk glued on.

The way it ends with The Story Is Never Ending makes it feel like they're not going to make another and were just like "haha we don't know guys woops."

Mimeosomes have organic components, they're not completely mechanical. The cat thing is because it was sequenced from the DNA banks, all the database on the lower level contained was the stored personalities of the 20,000,000 scanned people and the processing equipment to run the mimeosomes remotely. All the gene banks with animal and plant life are safe and intact (sans whatever damage Luxaar's little fireballs did). As for the rest, XCX really feels like we got two acts of a three-act story (with the third act going right off the deep end with whatever the hell's actually going on like in the original Xenoblade Chronicles), and Chimera Lao was the usual GOD GONE WRONG fight bumped back to where the ending was left.

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

I don't much care for your negative attitude, mister.

BillmasterCozb posted:

Boy, so, uh, joining Prospectors is the only option, eh? Cause getting a skell repair ticket every day, even without owning one, sounds preeeeetty nice.

Nah, just swap to the number 1 group when you go to collect your daily reward.
There is no protection in place to prevent you from sliding in there with a different hat and saying "oh yeah I'm a prospector I'll take one ticket please".

Once you have ten of the things you stop caring imo. (I've NEVER used one, but I thought I might need them, turns out NPCs never lose insurance ticks and endgame skells you make with parts come with 10 insurance.)

So far as the most USEFUL ones for me have been the full heal / little fuel tank for a couple super long fights, but those are the only times I ever used the consumables too. (shame there is no maximum fuel tank or that would be all I ever get)

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

My optimistic interpretation is that Lao was a flesh and blood human at the end with his soul/consciousness intact because of that Mira Magic. All of the souls/consciousnesses that were supposed to be lost (both in the crash and the ones that died throughout the game) will also be able to come back as flesh and blood humans because of Mira Magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

Why can't I just call party members with my sci-fi fantasy video phone to join my party instead of running around rounding them up?

• Locked thread